TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2007, 08:42 AM   #121
wgw

BTW, were you able to find EpisodeNumber in the tag data?

I have recorded an entire series of a show. Before I transfer them back to the TiVo, I would like to concatenate the EpisodeNumber into the title, like you did with the seriesTitle and EpisodeTitle. I would like to concatenate them in the fomat SeriesTitle+EpisodeNumber+EpisodeTitle. That way the TiVo will sort the episodes in episodeNumber order and I can easily watch them in sequence without drilling down to the Program details page to find the episode number.

If you create the standalone metadata program you mentioned in the pyTivo thread, would it be possible to create a config file that the user could modify to change how the tag data is output.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #122
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post

I have recorded an entire series of a show. Before I transfer them back to the TiVo, I would like to concatenate the EpisodeNumber into the title, like you did with the seriesTitle and EpisodeTitle. I would like to concatenate them in the fomat SeriesTitle+EpisodeNumber+EpisodeTitle. That way the TiVo will sort the episodes in episodeNumber order and I can easily watch them in sequence without drilling down to the Program details page to find the episode number.

If you create the standalone metadata program you mentioned in the pyTivo thread, would it be possible to create a config file that the user could modify to change how the tag data is output.
lol I actually had something close to what you want (for ep #) working during development then removed it. One potential problem is some series don't have episodeNumber defined in the TivoDecode xml chunk that I parse. I will try to get this mod in today. I like your alpha-sort idea. However there is a small issue: ep #11 will alpha-sort before ep #2 UNLESS I force all ep# to (e.g.) 3 characters, with leading zeros filled. Of course using 3 chars, there still would be problems if numbers reached 1000. Your thoughts?

Re the metadata utility: yes some sort of user control would be nice. I would rather do it via the GUI (e.g., check boxes as in TVAP) but that can get out of hand if there are too many possible variations. I welcome any specific thoughts on the variations to be implemented. (Obviously one would be how the ep# is handled.) There also could be a checkbox for each item, setting whether it is included.

I haven't so far included all the items that pyTivo can handle. I wonder how important it is to do that?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by dlfl : 11-25-2007 at 10:34 AM.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #123
wgw

I'd like to see all the available tags dumped into the text file. I think PyTivo would ignore the tags it does not support. But you might want to put all the pytivo supported tags at the top of the txt file and all the unsupported tags at the bottom. Separate them with a line containing "#------------". You might be able to place a "#" in the first position of each line to comment out the unsupported tags. But I guess it would be best to check with armooo to determine the best way to add unsupported text to the metadata file.

For the metadata utility, I was thinking that you might be able to create a template file to be used with the utility. The template might contain something like:

Code:
"description : " <Description>
"title : " <Title>
Which the user could modify to create different templates for the output they want. Like:

Code:
"description : " <seriesId> <Description>
"title : " <Title>" - "<EpisodeNumber>" - "<EpisodeTitle>

For TVAP, I was kind of hoping you could rename the output file to also include EpisodeNumber in the filename, when available. For example,

Heroes - ''The Line".tivo

would be renamed to

Heroes -205 - ''The Line"_QSF.tivo

or you could use Tivo metadata tag data to create the output filename:

<Title>"_"<EpisodeNumber>"_"<EpisodeTitle>+_QSF.tivo

And if possible, create a template file defining the output filename which users could modify to adjust the output file name using metadata tag names.

For both TVAP and the metadata utility, you could probably create a dropdown selection list for all of the different templates found in the application folder.

For starters, create a default template and an episode template. As pyTivo changes, or others have unique requests for modified output, publish modifications as new or replacement templates rather than making hard coded changes in the program file.

Well, i've rambled on enough and probably asked for too much. But thanks in advance for anything you can do.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:37 PM   #124
wgw

Followup to my last post. I found this code in video.py. If I'm reading this right, it ignores lines starting with "#" when reading the metadata text file. As well as lines that do not contain a ":".

Code:
              if line.strip().startswith('#'):
                    continue
                if not ':' in line:
                    continue

Old 11-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #125
dlfl
Cranky old novice

TVAP Ver. 0.47

Just a minor change in the metadata file format:
If the tivo file header contains an episode number it is inserted in the title item. The number is forced to 3 digits, i.e., 2 becomes 002. This is to support alphabetical sorting by episode number when grouping in the NPL.

example:
title : CSI: Miami (#508) - High Octane

Text preceding the ep # is the series title, which should be constant within a group.

and
Old 11-26-2007, 01:21 AM   #126
msmart

dlfl, I just wanted to say thanks for your TVAP application (v0.42). I recently started using it to automatically do Ad-Detective scans after shows have been downloaded to my PC. It works great!! Thanks for all your efforts and continued work on it.
msmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #127
schwingle

Indeed, this is working really well for me too! I'm very pleased with it! Now all I need is a way to transcode the mpg's to avi. I'm still not finding anything I'm happy with and that is quick and easy to use.
schwingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #128
dlfl
Cranky old novice

AVI auto-conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwingle View Post
......... Now all I need is a way to transcode the mpg's to avi. I'm still not finding anything I'm happy with and that is quick and easy to use.
I had exactly the same need -- see my post #119 on this thread. I have an automated process that (so far) has done a decent job on various types of content -- although it's not the ultimate in terms of compression vs. quality -- you can't have that and speed/simplicity at the same time.

My xvid/avi's are (currently) encoded at 1050 kbps video and 128 kbps audio for a total of 1178 kbps. Medium quality tivo files are at 2700 kbps (total) and best are around 5800 kbps. So that shows the file size compression ratio you get. The same process could be used for HD videos with increased bit rates of course. For medium quality tivo's on a 3 GHz pc, the encoding times are about 60% of video length.

If you are willing/able to deal with programs like aviSynth and dgIndex (both free), I could put together instructions so you could duplicate what I do without having to become an expert on these programs or ffmpeg (which is also used -- you already have this if you're running pyTivo or Tivo.Net).

and

Last edited by dlfl : 11-26-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #129
schwingle

I'd definitely be interested in instructions on how you're doing this. I have a spare machine I could dedicate to running this if I need so I guess it doesn't have to be fast as long as it works.
schwingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:26 PM   #130
dlfl
Cranky old novice

TVAP Ver. 0.48

Added vSeriesGenre and vProducer to the metadata file created for pyTivo.

Download ***here***

Don't forget to uninstall any previous version you have.

and
Old 12-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #131
HiKent

Hi,

This program is great. A real timesaver. Is there any way to access the desktop plus functionality? In particular, it would be great if there was some way to automatically make the ipod conversion after the automatic scene cut?
HiKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:10 PM   #132
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiKent View Post
Hi,
........Is there any way to access the desktop plus functionality? In particular, it would be great if there was some way to automatically make the ipod conversion after the automatic scene cut?
I don't even have DT+, not that I'm so cheap but just have never had a strong desire for it.

However I have my own "special" version of TVAP that runs batch files to encode either to 320x240 WMV (for Zune) or 640x480 XVID/AVI (for pyTivo transcoding), and another user was interested in doing that.

I'm toying with the idea of letting the user provide a batch file that would be run by TVAP to further encode the file output by VRD. With this scheme IF there is a command line that would run DT+ to accomplish your ipod encoding then what you want could be done.

TVAP can automatically provide the input file name as an argument to the batch file. TVAP would look for a batch file of a certain name (e.g., TVAPpostEncode.cmd) in the destination folder for your process and run it if it was there. Thus you would have a destination folder to take your TVAP output destined for ipod encoding and put a copy of this batch file in it. The batch file could put the ipod file wherever it wanted to.

So do you or anyone know if the ipod encoding can be implemented with a command line via DT+? Or could Videora or another encoder be used in command line/batch mode? Actually I'm pretty sure ffmpeg could do this.

Is anyone else interested in such a post-encode feature?

and
Old 12-17-2007, 12:15 AM   #133
HiKent

Thanks for the program and for getting back to me so quickly. I don't see a "batch" script in the desktop directory, but maybe there's an "exe" that will do it. I think I'll ask.

Thanks again, Kent
HiKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #134
dlfl
Cranky old novice

TVAP Ver. 0.49 - User-supplied batch post processing!

From change log:

18 December 2007 Ver. 0.49
- Added "showingBits" field to pyTivo medadata text file
- Killed confusing log message about unable to add metadata.
- Added automatic running of user-furnished post-processing batch file.

TVAP will run a batch file of your creation after processing each .mpg file.

-- For mpeg2 outputs, if you place a batch file named TVAPpostProcess.bat or TVAPpostProcess.cmd in the final destination directory TVAP will run the batch file upon completion of VRD processing of each file output to that folder..

The filename WITHOUT the .mpg extension and without the path is passed as the argument to this batch file. No configuration is necessary -- if the batch file is there it will be run.

Regarding this optional user post-process batch file (TVAPpostProcess.cmd):
a.) TVAP just starts the batch and waits for it to complete.
b.) It runs in the final destination folder where it is located.
c.) TVAP has no way to know whether it completed successfully or what it did.
d.) Thus the user is responsible for making the batch file work and not crash or
hang up. And also for not spawning dangling processes that keep on running
after the batch file has exited (unless you REALLY know what you're doing!).
e.) Here is a sample batch file that shows how to add the .mpg extension to
the passed file name and verify the existence of the .mpg file:

Code:
@echo off
setlocal
set mpgName="%~1.mpg"
echo batch file : mpgName is %mpgName%
if exist %mpgName% echo file exists!
pause
@HiKent:
If you wish I can supply you a batch file that will create Ipod-compatible files automatically using ffmpeg. I would need to know:

1. Do you have ffmpeg already? (I can tell you how to get it -- free of course.)
2. What size and bitrate (video and audio) do you desire?
3. What folder to you want the batch to put the .mp4 files in? (Or you can edit this in yourself -- need full path).

I don't have an Ipod so there might be a little tuning required. I'm using parameters recommended by ffmpeg for Ipod file creation. I found I have to drop some of the advanced parameters to get files that play in the QuickTime player -- don't know if that is a true test of Ipod compatibility or not, but I'm quite optimistic it can be done.

and
Old 12-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #135
dlfl
Cranky old novice

TVAP Ver. 0.50 - Automation around manual cuts

Use TVAP as before to automatically QSF and AdScan (without autocuts), thus creating a .vprj file in your AdScan destination folder.

TVAP remembers the .vprj file name and time/date stamp (via data in its xml file).

Then you manually review the edit cuts and save the .vprj file (with the same name in the same place).

TVAP detects the change in the time/date stamp (to later) of that .vprj file and then commands VRD to perform the autocut (using your modified edits) creating the final output file (in the AdScan destination folder).

Then TVAP will run the "user supplied" batch file (the feature just added in Ver. 0.49), if it ("TVAPpostProcess.cmd") is present in the AdScan destination folder AND if the file extension of the final-edited file is .mpg.

If desired you can do all this from within TVAP. After creating the .vprj file(s), stop processing and run GUI VRD to load and review the cuts. Then when you restart processing the auto-generation of the output file with your modified edits will occur.

If you don't want to use the post-batch file for re-encoding to MPEG4 you could just use it to transfer completed files to another folder and/or delete the .vprj files.

This will entirely automate your process (and mine too!), and you just do the manual edit reviews whenever you want.

This was a complicated mod so there may be bugs. Please let me know. I've left the previous version on the download site so you can revert to it if necessary.

and
Old 12-26-2007, 02:39 AM   #136
dlfl
Cranky old novice

TVAP Ver. 0.51

26 December 2007 Ver. 0.51
- Removed "_QSF" from .vprj file names.
- Tightened logic determining when user post-process batch is run.

and
Old 01-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #137
MacerX

Request Sample .CMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
If you wish I can supply you a batch file that will create Ipod-compatible files automatically using ffmpeg. I would need to know:

1. Do you have ffmpeg already? (I can tell you how to get it -- free of course.)
2. What size and bitrate (video and audio) do you desire?
3. What folder to you want the batch to put the .mp4 files in? (Or you can edit this in yourself -- need full path).

I don't have an Ipod so there might be a little tuning required. I'm using parameters recommended by ffmpeg for Ipod file creation. I found I have to drop some of the advanced parameters to get files that play in the QuickTime player -- don't know if that is a true test of Ipod compatibility or not, but I'm quite optimistic it can be done.
I would appreciate a sample .CMD file! I have some experience with ffmpeg from using pytivo, but my batch file experience is minimal.

I would prefer to know what you use for archiving to be sent back to pyTivo as opposed to ipod though. (I have 2 series 2 649 and 1 HD Tivo 652).

I have been burning many hours experimenting with different codecs and applications as part of a closed loop flow, but since you already seem to have this figured out, I would be thrilled to completely adopt your process and actually get back to watching some TV!!!

Thanks,
MacerX
MacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #138
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacerX View Post
I would appreciate a sample .CMD file! I have some experience with ffmpeg from using pytivo, but my batch file experience is minimal.

I would prefer to know what you use for archiving to be sent back to pyTivo as opposed to ipod though. (I have 2 series 2 649 and 1 HD Tivo 652).

I have been burning many hours experimenting with different codecs and applications as part of a closed loop flow, but since you already seem to have this figured out, I would be thrilled to completely adopt your process and actually get back to watching some TV!!!

Thanks,
MacerX
The only process I have any significant experience with produces xvid/avi files and uses dgindex and avisynth to feed a .avs stream into ffmpeg. You can of course feed the mpeg2 directly into ffmpeg. The .avs method allows an autocrop, i.e., if the video is a movie with 2.35:1 aspect it will automatically crop and produce a 640x272 output instead of 640x480. This allows faster and more efficient processing both for encoding and for pyTivo transcoding later. (You can do this cropping manually with ffmpeg arguments also but you have to manually configure it for each video.)

I also have a version that produces .mp4 files. However I've only used it twice and the second time it produced an output with bad audio sync shift. The same video processed to xvid/avi was OK. Thus I can't recommend this process (although a change of ffmpeg version or parameter changes might fix it).

And of course my process is tuned to SD, although I assume the mods to make it handle HD would not be difficult, and you can probably figure that out since you've had experience with ffmpeg already.

So I have some questions for you:
1. Is xvid/avi OK or do you have to have .mp4?
2. How do you feel about installing AviSynth and dgIndex (both free and easy to install)?

If you don't want to mess with AviSynth and dgIndex, I can either:

1. Send you my ffmpeg parameters
2. If you need the batch file logic, I will gen and test a batch file that just uses ffmpeg and send it to you.

and
Old 01-08-2008, 08:36 AM   #139
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post

episodeNum is a valid metadata tag and DOES show up on the Tivo. I looked using the INFO button to files transferred to the tivo.

And the Tivo does sort episodes if it is there
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #140
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

why would someone want AVI files. MPG seem to work fine, don't they?
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #141
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
why would someone want AVI files. MPG seem to work fine, don't they?
xvid/avi are mpeg4 compression level, i.e., they only take 1/3 to 1/4 as much space to archive.

and
Old 01-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #142
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
episodeNum is a valid metadata tag and DOES show up on the Tivo. I looked using the INFO button to files transferred to the tivo.

And the Tivo does sort episodes if it is there
Yep and my programs (linked below) process it. They also add it to the "title" metadata item in parentheses just to be helpful.

and
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #143
MacerX

Appreciate your help!

Quote:
So I have some questions for you:
1. Is xvid/avi OK or do you have to have .mp4?
2. How do you feel about installing AviSynth and dgIndex (both free and easy to install)?

If you don't want to mess with AviSynth and dgIndex, I can either:

1. Send you my ffmpeg parameters
2. If you need the batch file logic, I will gen and test a batch file that just uses ffmpeg and send it to you.
1. xvid/avi is fine, I'm assuming your talking h.264 when you mention .mp4.
2. I've actually been intending to learn how to use AviSynth anyway, so this will be a good kick in the pants.

1. I would also like to see your ffmpeg parameters for reference.
2. Unfortunately, yes I will need the batch file logic. Also, can you recommend a good online reference for writing batch files?

Thanks,
MacerX

P.S. I'm on business travel so I won't be able to run anything until Friday night at the earliest.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 AM   #144
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
P.S. I'm on business travel so I won't be able to run anything until Friday night at the earliest.
I'll get something to you by then.

and
Old 01-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #145
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
1. xvid/avi is fine, I'm assuming your talking h.264 when you mention .mp4.
2. I've actually been intending to learn how to use AviSynth anyway, so this will be a good kick in the pants.

1. I would also like to see your ffmpeg parameters for reference.
2. Unfortunately, yes I will need the batch file logic. Also, can you recommend a good online reference for writing batch files?

Thanks,
MacerX

Here is the MediaFire link to a zip package containing the batch file and instructions. Start with the BatchNotes.txt file.

Others are welcome to try this TVAPpostProcess.cmd file. You need to have AviSynth, dgIndex and ffmpeg. Here is what it's about:

This batch produces xvid/avi files and uses dgindex and avisynth to feed a .avs stream into ffmpeg. You can of course feed the mpeg2 directly into ffmpeg. The .avs method allows an autocrop, i.e., if the video is a movie with 2.35:1 aspect it will automatically crop and produce a 640x272 output instead of 640x480. This allows faster and more efficient processing both for encoding and for pyTivo transcoding later. (You can do this cropping manually with ffmpeg arguments also but you have to manually configure it for each video.) The .avs method also provides more sophisticated handling of interlacing and field order.

Edit: Changed link to new improved batch file.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 01-12-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #146
MacerX

Quote:
Here is the MediaFire link to a zip package containing the batch file and instructions. Start with the BatchNotes.txt file.

Others are welcome to try this TVAPpostProcess.cmd file. You need to have AviSynth, dgIndex and ffmpeg. Here is what it's about:

This batch produces xvid/avi files and uses dgindex and avisynth to feed a .avs stream into ffmpeg. You can of course feed the mpeg2 directly into ffmpeg. The .avs method allows an autocrop, i.e., if the video is a movie with 2.35:1 aspect it will automatically crop and produce a 640x272 output instead of 640x480. This allows faster and more efficient processing both for encoding and for pyTivo transcoding later. (You can do this cropping manually with ffmpeg arguments also but you have to manually configure it for each video.) The .avs method also provides more sophisticated handling of interlacing and field order.
Thank you for putting this together!

I had a few challenges that I hope are behind me now as everything seems to be working.

1)Autocrop.dll was missing and I had to downoad it seperately.
2)My folder names all had spaces in them, which appeared to be an issue.
3)I downloaded dgindex 1.4.8, but avisynth installation already included 1.5.0 of the dgdecode.dll and I did not overwrite the avisynth version with the version you included so I ended up with a version mismatch.
4)The .cmd file had 2 or 3 instances where the path was hardcoded instead of using the path at the top of the file.

When I get some more time, I'll experiment some more.

I did have a TVAP issue where I was transfering a file with tivodesktop while my wife was using he tivo, so transfer was slow, and TVAP began converting the file prematurely. Is there a way to loosen the timing parameters on TVAP to wait longer to make sure transfers are complete?
2x TCD542 S2 Standalone TiVo (1xLT)
1x TCD652 S3 Cablecard TiVo (LT)
1x TCD7463 S4 Cablecard TiVo (LT)
Old 01-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #147
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Thank you for putting this together!

I had a few challenges that I hope are behind me now as everything seems to be working.

1)Autocrop.dll was missing and I had to downoad it seperately.
2)My folder names all had spaces in them, which appeared to be an issue.
3)I downloaded dgindex 1.4.8, but avisynth installation already included 1.5.0 of the dgdecode.dll and I did not overwrite the avisynth version with the version you included so I ended up with a version mismatch.
4)The .cmd file had 2 or 3 instances where the path was hardcoded instead of using the path at the top of the file.

When I get some more time, I'll experiment some more.

I did have a TVAP issue where I was transfering a file with tivodesktop while my wife was using he tivo, so transfer was slow, and TVAP began converting the file prematurely. Is there a way to loosen the timing parameters on TVAP to wait longer to make sure transfers are complete?
Sorry for the problems but glad you got it working. I would be interested in your "debugged" batch file if you can get it to me conveniently. I prefer folder names with no spaces in them and bullet-proofing a batch file to handle spaces takes some tedious trial and error testing sometimes.

TVAP just checks the file size every five seconds and if it is non-zero and didn't change for five seconds it declares the file transferred. I have to think of what other pros and cons would be involved in increasing that time span. I would guess doubling it would be no problem but not sure about going any further than that. Doing a windows copy of a .tivo into the transfer folder can really cause problems because windows sets the file size to the total size immediately when the copy starts. Haven't thought of a reasonable way to handle that but I hope it isn't something that users will do very often. Multiple files queued for transfer in Desktop (at least ver. 2.3 that I use) work the opposite way. All the files immediately show up in the directory but with zero size, until a file starts transferring. That one was easily handled by requiring a non-zero file size.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 01-12-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #148
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Improved xvid/avi post process file - new download

I believe I've addressed all the problems noted by MacerX two posts back and here is the link to download the improved batch file. I also added the AviSynth autocrop plugin that was missing.

MacerX: You asked about H264 encoding. ffmpeg doesn't encode it but does decode it, per their documentation. These xvid/avi encodings use what ffmpeg calls its mpeg4codec.

If you're interested in H264 encoding, take a look at (free) AutoMKV. You already have most of the required free software to support it.

and
Old 01-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #149
MacerX

My Updated Batch File

Quote:
Sorry for the problems but glad you got it working. I would be interested in your "debugged" batch file if you can get it to me conveniently.
Looks about the same as your modified batch file.

This is the first time I tried to attach a file so hopefully it comes through OK.

Thanks again!
Attached Files
File Type: txt TVAPpostProcess.cmd.txt (4.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #150
MacerX

Quote:
MacerX: You asked about H264 encoding. ffmpeg doesn't encode it but does decode it, per their documentation. These xvid/avi encodings use what ffmpeg calls its mpeg4codec.

If you're interested in H264 encoding, take a look at (free) AutoMKV. You already have most of the required free software to support it.
I've decided to wait on h264 until I can get a new server/HTPC built. My Athlon 3000+ can become processor limited, especially on HD material with h264 or with multiple operations competing for the single core. I'm looking at dual or quad core next.