TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Dan203
Super Moderator

pyTiVo and PAL video

I have a few episodes of Top Gear that I downloaded via BitTorrent. They're 1080i@25fps. When I transfer them to either my S3 or my Premiere they play back all jerky. I assume this is due to the frame rate not being NTSC. Is there any way to setup pyTiVo so that it does a frame rate conversion to 29.97 during the transfer? And if so will it make the video look any better?

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Looking at your signature, I would have figured you'd have someone "in house" that could handle that for you.

edit: I missed the "during transfer" part.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You could create a metadata file with an "override" statement that would force pyTivo to reencode the video. Perhaps something like:

override_vFps: 63

To make it always reencode PAL, you could take "25.00" and "50.00" out of the "GOOD_MPEG_FPS" list in transcode.py.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

I forgot to mention that the files are H.264 TS files, so I believe they are going through a recode no matter what. Is pyTiVo setup to automatically do a frame rate conversion during a recode? I just assumed the jerkiness was caused by the TiVo not being able to play 25fps video properly, but maybe it's not the TiVo's fault and ffmpeg is doing the conversion poorly?

Obviously I do have tools available to me to do this. I was just trying to get it to do it on the fly so I could watch the episodes tonight without having to wait for them to recode first.

Dan
Old 09-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
bschuler2007
Frustrated owner

This is probably over my head, but I just want to throw this in here, I live in USA and watch Top Gear (last 4-5 seasons downloaded via bittorent off TPB) all the time and have no jerkyness.

First thing I would do is update your FFMPEG.exe to the most current. Secondly, it may be the bitrate of this particular ripper or your FFMPEG settings. Too high a bitrate would cause this too, no?

My BBC rips transfer to both a TivoHD and Premiere fine with no noticeable difference from say a DVD or normal NTSC HD show.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I get the torrents from FinalGear.com. In the past there has always just been one option and it's always worked fine. However for the newest season there are two options a 720p MKV and a 1080i TS file. I chose the TS file because I thought that might be MPEG-2 and would work better with the TiVo. I guess I was wrong. Maybe I should just re-download all the episodes in the other format and see if those work better.

Dan
Old 09-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
txporter
One sec, almost done

Dan203, have you considered remuxing the TS files into MP4 and just pushing them to your Premiere with pytivo? I push 25fps mp4 files to my TivoHD without any issues (Dr. Who, Torchwood, Robin Hood, etc).
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Although the video is being transcoded, the frame rate is not being changed, if it's in the GOOD_MPEG_FPS list. So my previous advice still applies.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Dan203, have you considered remuxing the TS files into MP4 and just pushing them to your Premiere with pytivo? I push 25fps mp4 files to my TivoHD without any issues (Dr. Who, Torchwood, Robin Hood, etc).
I tried that. I remuxed the video to MP4 using several different tools. None of them would play in VLC, and when I attempted to push them it would cause some sort of error in pyTiVo.

Ultimately I ended up just downloading the 720p MKV files instead. When I tried transferring them directly via pyTiVo the video was fine but the audio was messed up. So I remuxed them to TS files and now they're work fine. (transferring them all as we speak)

Dan
Old 09-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I tried that. I remuxed the video to MP4 using several different tools. None of them would play in VLC, and when I attempted to push them it would cause some sort of error in pyTiVo.
If you wouldn't mind, could you upload a clip from one of those files for me to play around with? I will send you a link in PM.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote