TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2007, 03:33 AM   #181
tenthplanet

Unless the "lite" performs better than the original S-3 I really don't see the point of it.
Tivo makes their money on the service not such much on the units. I have seen too many consumer electronic products go from quality to cheap. It happened to VCR's, DVD recorders seem to be going that route also. Unless a company is subsidizing the price of a unit cheaper usually means something changed. And finally if this is built in China it will never be in this house.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:38 AM   #182
SullyND
W:29-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Thyme
Not lite on features. Lite on the wallet.
Tastes great, less filling.

Assuming the S3 continues in it's current form, would seem it could use at least a boost in HD capacity.
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:20 AM   #183
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
Not sure if that's worth warranting the "lite" tag though - that will not be the name (also mentioned earlier ).
It's development name was Fusion, but they seem to be leaning toward just calling it Tivo HD.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:34 AM   #184
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND
Tastes great, less filling.

Assuming the S3 continues in it's current form, would seem it could use at least a boost in HD capacity.
One point on the current S3 is that it is a very good tuner/receiver/upscaler. Personally, my SD channels look a lot better on the S3 then they did via a Scientific Atlanta cable box. I'm not sure if that is related to the THX certification, but it has great picture quality. I'm very interested to see if the new S3-lite matches the PQ of the S3.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:29 AM   #185
ncbagwell

I like the sound of this but I still need an answer on MRV and TTCB before I snap it up.
ncbagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:35 AM   #186
joewmaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Will it have an eSATA port on it for external storage expansion? The version on Gizmodo gave some indication that this "S3 Lite" might have Cable Card 2.0 support also.
This could be the real 'lite' aspect, if it doesn't have the eSATA port. But then, the port use is not officially supported yet anyway.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #187
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Since you are quite knowledgable regarding the various chipsets, care to do a comparasion between the S3 and S3lite for us, in terms of potential capabilities, speed, etc.?
There's not much difference in performance. Broadcom claims 450 DMIPs for its cheapest integrated solution as compared to 420 DMIPs for the older chip in the Series3. Both run at 300MHz and have the same 32Kb data and 32Kb instruction caches.

Basically, the new model does everything the current S3 does...it just takes advantage of newer, cheaper, and more highly integrated parts to simplify board design.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #188
vstone

What's the BCM7411 MPEG-4 decoder used for? Internet downloads?

How much is a DOCSIS 2 chip? (for two way comms)
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #189
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstone
It's not used for anything currently, but otherwise, yeah I guess they intend to possible use it with downloaded material.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #190
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstone
It will be presumably useful for the forthcoming MRV/TTG/TTCB capability as a means to play mpeg4 files on your S3 from your PC via Tivo Desktop.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #191
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

Tivo engineers put metal on target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Basically, the new model does everything the current S3 does...it just takes advantage of newer, cheaper, and more highly integrated parts to simplify board design.
As Micke intimated, looks like a page out of the Tivo playbook with the of the 2.0 to 2.5 board transition. I sure do hope the decoder won't jitter on high bitrate Hidef like what I saw in the S3 tests when I had TivoBack temporarily running. I can grumble about there not being more memory headroom and power in the video post processing but jeez this is impressive from a less appreciated aspect of what good engineering staffs do.

This price point and being final this early in the season will have the channel full with time to spare for Christmas. Battles are won or lost by putting metal on target, where give or take a few months doesn't cut it. I think part of this story that's getting missed here is that the S3 lite delivery is a demonstration of world class schedule discipline. Anyway, I'd like to see some good close up photos of the board, and to hear which chips are certain/ which are still speculative.

Quote:
The ease of eSata upgrades will make such aftermarket upgrades a lot simpler and common for a broad market.

Really, some folks just want to time shift one or two shows rather than have a VOD like system with a thousand movies available on their Tivo.

Anyway- congratulations to the Tivo Hardware team.
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #192
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Ahh, now where are the people crying "photoshopped!!" which seems to happen every time new product information gets leaked?
Here I am. And I'm unwilling to believe this rumor based simply on a better picture. When I see an announcement I will believe it. Until then I won't. I don't see how TiVo can shave $500 off the price of the box just by dropping the OLED panel, the fancy remote, and the THX certification. Unless they've decided to lose money on every box and make it up in volume.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #193
xnevergiveinx

i think this new tivo box is what will keep me with tivo. my series 2 is decent, but having s-video for the best picture quality and only being able to record at 480i is starting to turn out bad on my new hdtv
also, it's only a single tuner
i have been getting along with my series 2 box because i have been watching it on an old crt

i'm very happy for tivo's decision to make an affordable series 3 box, now i won't have to stray from tivo and be even more unhappy with a time warner dvr or something
xnevergiveinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #194
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout
Here I am. And I'm unwilling to believe this rumor based simply on a better picture. When I see an announcement I will believe it. Until then I won't. I don't see how TiVo can shave $500 off the price of the box just by dropping the OLED panel, the fancy remote, and the THX certification. Unless they've decided to lose money on every box and make it up in volume.
Maybe your cats helped them out with that too!
Old 07-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #195
wolflord11
Lord of Darkness

So does this mean when the Tivo Series 3 Lite comes out, sales will increase alot, as the Price of the Series 3 has been a major issue to alot of folks...I for one may look at it, after working out all the costs of changing to cable and that...

BUT: the sales of the Original Series 3 will drop alot. Why pay double the price for something that does the same job? Sure you do not have the fancy Front Panel, the better remote and all that, but then again, those parts could always be Sold by Tivo as upgrades to the unit

The introduction of the Series 3 Lite could be the death of the Original Series 3. Looking at it this way, the Series 3 has had the shortest lifespan of any Tivo unit.
TiVo Desktop on 4 XP Pro Computer Systems
wolflord11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #196
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolflord11
So does this mean when the Tivo Series 3 Lite comes out, sales will increase alot, as the Price of the Series 3 has been a major issue to alot of folks...I for one may look at it, after working out all the costs of changing to cable and that...

BUT: the sales of the Original Series 3 will drop alot. Why pay double the price for something that does the same job? Sure you do not have the fancy Front Panel, the better remote and all that, but then again, those parts could always be Sold by Tivo as upgrades to the unit

The introduction of the Series 3 Lite could be the death of the Original Series 3. Looking at it this way, the Series 3 has had the shortest lifespan of any Tivo unit.
Seems like the series 3 was just an IPO of sorts, to raise money from the diehards, and gain another year of development on the real product.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #197
jgerry
save vinyl

As long as it takes CableCards and isn't a crappy Motorola DVR, I'm in. SATA port enabled for more storage would be a nice bonus too.
jgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #198
davecramer74

Looks like the earlier posts are correct. Just a slimmed down model wtih cheaper m/b and power supply and smaller hard drive. No SDV or VOD support. Ill be waiting longer i guess, sucks!.

Last edited by davecramer74 : 07-18-2007 at 02:10 PM.
davecramer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #199
classicsat
Astute User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller
Features for TiVo TCD652160 HD Digital Video Recorder:

TIVO TCD653080
Unless TiVo changed their product numbering scheme;

I wonder what the difference is between the 652 and 653 units are (besides HDD size)?

Does the second digit being 5 mean anything? Usually Tivo branded units have a 4 there. I interpret that may be another CE partner selling them.

The 080 part means, at least in traditional TiVo product numbering, and 80 GB HDD. Could that be a digital SD only Series 3?
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #200
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout
You've got it backward. The Series3 was the bleeding edge moneymaker, the proceeds from which bankrolled development of the S3-Lite. The S3 was over priced. They'll shave $100 off production, $300 off the sticker, and still end up with a profitable commodity box that we think is a steal because we've been innoculated by the overpriced Series3.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #201
Hogues92

Quote:
The S3 has the hardware, but has not (yet, we think) been certified.
I have one mcard in the correct slot on my Tivo (Comcast only had one card at the time and it took me 3 visits to get that). As of know it is only working with one tuner. Unless I'm doing something wrong, it appears that this feature has not been enabled yet. I'm hoping for it soon because I don't think I can stomach another round with Comcast.
Hogues92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #202
Riblet2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionary
You've got it backward. The Series3 was the bleeding edge moneymaker, the proceeds from which bankrolled development of the S3-Lite. The S3 was over priced. They'll shave $100 off production, $300 off the sticker, and still end up with a profitable commodity box that we think is a steal because we've been innoculated by the overpriced Series3.
Hey, if it works for Apple...

This is great news.
Riblet2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #203
bown

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixZed
Kind of hard to tell from that picture, but it looks like it has the an OLED display like the S3. I guess that wasn't a cost cutting requirement...
the engadget article says that the OLED was axed for the Tivo lite. It also comes with the regular S2 remote.
bown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #204
Dan Clarke

Wow.

If this is true and they bring back limited lifetime transfers, I'm buying this in a heartbeat.

I would *LOVE* to get rid of this turd Motorola 6412. Oh no, I lose VOD? How will I live, not being able to see PBS Sprout or Fuse or whatever stupid stuff is on there! It's not like it's in HD or anything!
Dan Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #205
wolflord11
Lord of Darkness

If all works out, then I would be p***ed if I had purchased a Series 3 and paid Full price.

But I suppose if you had the Money to purchase a Series 3 in the first place, then you have nothing to complain about
TiVo Desktop on 4 XP Pro Computer Systems
wolflord11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #206
MickeS

Quote:
BUT: the sales of the Original Series 3 will drop alot. Why pay double the price for something that does the same job?
Good point. If the speculation here is true, there isn't much in terms of actual usability that sets the units apart. The hard drive size is a non-issue for many since it will be upgraded anyway.

I can't see the value in keeping the S3 in production anymore when this unit comes out, unless they significantly drop the MSRP (to maybe $399) and leave that as the option for those who want a bigger hard drive right out of the box.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #207
HiDefGator

Quote:
The introduction of the Series 3 Lite could be the death of the Original Series 3.
I think I suggested this several months back. It doesn't make sense to keep producing both if the original S3 still isn't selling well. It's unlikely the S3-Lite will increase sales of the original S3.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #208
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefGator
I think I suggested this several months back. It doesn't make sense to keep producing both if the original S3 still isn't selling well. It's unlikely the S3-Lite will increase sales of the original S3.
yah, just like you do not see TiVo selling single tuner S2 models anymore - but they still get software updates and those extra features work the same.

The S3 line will be the same though the original S3 has the premium factor going for it that might keep it around in limited quantity
Old 07-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #209
stevereis

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat
Unless TiVo changed their product numbering scheme;

I wonder what the difference is between the 652 and 653 units are (besides HDD size)?

Does the second digit being 5 mean anything? Usually Tivo branded units have a 4 there. I interpret that may be another CE partner selling them.

The 080 part means, at least in traditional TiVo product numbering, and 80 GB HDD. Could that be a digital SD only Series 3?
I made this post in April '06 based on info I found, from you, among others:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post3968916. This is the info originally posted, with some edits now that the S2DT and S3 are now out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevereis
Posting the info from classicsat's post on that 'other' forum into this thread
My updates are bold, based on the new model numbers:
TCD648250A - HD, Dual Tuner, Dual CableCard, Dual ATSC
TCD649180/TCD649080 - SD, Dual Tuner

Model format ABCDDD
ABC being the first digits of a TiVo or AT&T brand Model, and the first 3 digits of the service number. DDD is a representaion of drive size.

A is platform series:
0: Series 1
1: Series 2 Gen 1, USB 1.1 Standalone / Pre RID DirecTV DVR (USB 2.0)
2: Series 2 Gen 2, USB 2.0 Standalone.
3: Series 2 Gen 1, RID DirecTV DVR (USB2.0).
4: Series 2 Gen 2, RID DirecTV DVR.
5: Series 2.5 Gen 3, USB2.0 Standalone + DirecTV DVR (R10)
6: Series 3 or just dual tuner?

B is manuufacturer:
0: Philips
1: Sony
2: Toshiba or RCA (121, 321, 521)?
3: AT&T or Hughes?
4: TiVo
5: Pioneer or Hughes (151, 351, 357, etc.)?
6: RCA/Thomson or Toshiba (264, 565)?
7: Hughes or Pioneer: 275?
8: Samsung
9: Humax
E: TGC (TiVo Greater China)?
Followup posts over there indicate 2/6 and 3/7 may be swapped

C is hardware configuration
0: Single HDD drive
1: DirecTV DVR
2: dual HDD any reports of these?
4: DVD player
5: DVD recorder
8: HD Dual Tuner w/CableCard
9: SD Dual Tuner

648-S3 - 750GB - TWC (2xS) + ATSC
652-HD - 160GB - TWC (1xM) + ATSC
649-S2DT - 500GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
595-DRT800 - 300GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
240-S2 - 420 GB - TWC analog
stevereis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #210
Dan Clarke

Totally OT, but Tivo.com is selling "refurb" Series 3 for $499 right now ...
Dan Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote