TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #151
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandenurse
I predict...August 24th.

30 Days AFTER the current Transfer Lifetime offer expires.

Irrelevent, no backsies.

I am waiting for the first "I got screwed because I took the LT transfer 64 hours ago" post.

HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #152
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandenurse
I predict...August 24th.

30 Days AFTER the current Transfer Lifetime offer expires.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, a major CE retailer here was notified by Tivo that it will be in the store sometime between August 5 and 12.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:33 PM   #153
MickeS

Now I kinda wish I hadn't bought my Series 3 last month... :/

This one plus $300 worth of extra storage would have been a better deal.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #154
nemoby

The pricing is compelling for new buyers but I don't get the feeling that I got burned buying my S3 a month ago. I paid $600 and a bit of change on Amazon and will receive a $200 rebate. Glad to pay the extra $100 and don't have to wait until some future date for it to ship.
nemoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #155
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
So now I've set myself up for looking stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
Funny -- I was thinking the same thing!
Maybe next time.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:24 PM   #156
smark

I'll pick one up if the upgrade to the HD is fairly easy (prefer eSATA).
Old 07-17-2007, 08:17 PM   #157
LeeG

If it werent for the fear of SDV, I'd pick one up the day it comes out. Add TTG and its perfect.

L
Old 07-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #158
dvr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeG
If it werent for the fear of SDV, I'd pick one up the day it comes out. Add TTG and its perfect.

L
I'm in the market for a standalone tivo (dropping Directv and I don't want to live without Tivo) and had just purchased an S2DT (should be here Thursday). Since reading the information about the S3 Lite I'm seriously considering returning the unit under the 30 day guarantee and getting the S3 Lite when it comes out.

Sure it might not work with SDV, but then again, the S2DT doesn't work with it. The S2DT also won't do HD and doesn't have an OTA antenna if I should drop cable. Since I'm buying a tivo, I'd rather invest $200 more up front and have a fall back (with OTA) if my cable company decides to change the distribution. The full S3 is just too expensive for my budget when you factor in the service.
dvr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #159
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

I don't even use the OLED display on mine and use ext HD for expanded storage making 160 gb a moot point. Ugh...
ingenue007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:02 PM   #160
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr4me
I'm in the market for a standalone tivo (dropping Directv and I don't want to live without Tivo) and had just purchased an S2DT (should be here Thursday). Since reading the information about the S3 Lite I'm seriously considering returning the unit under the 30 day guarantee and getting the S3 Lite when it comes out.

Sure it might not work with SDV, but then again, the S2DT doesn't work with it. The S2DT also won't do HD and doesn't have an OTA antenna if I should drop cable. Since I'm buying a tivo, I'd rather invest $200 more up front and have a fall back (with OTA) if my cable company decides to change the distribution. The full S3 is just too expensive for my budget when you factor in the service.
Don't you know better than to bring up budgets and costs when posting on the Tivo forums?

jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #161
20TIL6
BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr4me

If I were in your shoes, I'd do the same thing. Return the S2, and get the S3 lite.
20TIL6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #162
dvr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Don't you know better than to bring up budgets and costs when posting on the Tivo forums?

Budget is my wife's name. I get brownie points for mentioning her
dvr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #163
moyekj

This Lite unit seems like the kiss of death for the current S3 hardware (less than a year after release). Based on bits and pieces I have read here and there I don't see any significant downside to this Lite unit compared to current S3 hardware. Hope that doesn't mean no more emphasis on software for the S3. Just hope the S3 and this S3 Lite share the same software so that they both get attention going forwards...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #164
Adam1115
20,000!!!

The unit is a steal for just a standalone HD OTA TiVo, if nothing else!!

I wish they'd enable MRV for OTA...

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #165
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
This Lite unit seems like the kiss of death for the current S3 hardware (less than a year after release). Based on bits and pieces I have read here and there I don't see any significant downside to this Lite unit compared to current S3 hardware. Hope that doesn't mean no more emphasis on software for the S3. Just hope the S3 and this S3 Lite share the same software so that they both get attention going forwards...
well the S3 price has come down and since it is the quality unit then it still will have some sales legs in it. But if TiVo sells lots of this new one then they will just have to live with that

in any case this new S3 will most likely use the same codee base as the current S3 and both will be supported for some time to come. The idea of ending updates for the current S3 is just not substantiated by anything we have seen to date in other model releases
Old 07-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #166
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Thyme
I know you guys are probably a trifle busy, but it sure would be nice if you folks made some of these units available via Tivo Rewards for us loyalists who have referral points to spend.

Thanks,

=JT=
+1
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:08 PM   #167
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Tivo Series3 Specifications (TCD648250B)
- BCM7038 DVR CPU with MPEG-2 decoder
- BCM7411 MPEG-4 decoder
- 2x BCM7042 MPEG-2 encoders
- 2x Samsung S5H1409-based tuners (analog/QAM/8VSB)

Unconfirmed Series3 "Lite" Specifications (TCD652160)
- BCM740x DVR CPU w/ integrated MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 decoders
- 1x dual MPEG-2 encoder (BCM7041 or possibly an encoder from LSI)
- 2x Samsung S5H1411-based tuners (analog/QAM/8VSB)

Since you are quite knowledgable regarding the various chipsets, care to do a comparasion between the S3 and S3lite for us, in terms of potential capabilities, speed, etc.?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:24 PM   #168
MickeS

Quote:
I don't worry about that at all. They're still very similar and will no doubt use the same software. The main hardware differences based on the previous post seems to be a new tuner chip in the Lite, and an integrated MPEG4/2 decoder chip rather than two separate chips.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:39 PM   #169
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND
The S3 has the hardware, but has not (yet, we think) been certified. More from Pony
Bob's note was prior to CableLabs' creation of a certification process for MCards in Nov/Dec 2006.

DT_DC noticed the appearance of the S3 in a certification wave in March. The appearance on the list was odd because it was already Cablecard certified and all subsequent models can be self certified. What would explain it is if it were an MCard certification because they would not have been able to self certify that, and so that was DT's guess.

The S3 lite would then be a self certification. That would explain why a search on those model numbers do not turn up on the cablelabs site, but the S3's does.

Besides circumstantial information likes this, it just stands to reason that they would not release the S3 lite to manufacturing without the MCard certification, so DT's guess was probably correct.

Although it is likely- we just don't have any official confirmation of this status- not that it matters because there may be some ramping up before most cableco servers support the MCards.

Last edited by Justin Thyme : 07-17-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:48 PM   #170
audio

I have been waiting for this box since I heard about it.

Before I buy, I have a question about the S3:

I know that TTG and MRV do not work with the S3 box (keeping fingers crossed). For those of you that do have an S3, are you able to use Amazon Unbox?

If so, how is the picture? With my S2DT the picture is almost DVD quality. I imagine, because it's a purely digital box that the S3 would have a better picture.
audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #171
mattack

I haven't read this whole thread -- but in the first couple of pages, people talk about removal of analog tuners.

I thought that CableCard certification REQUIRED the ability to tune analog channels.
Is that not actually true?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:51 PM   #172
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio
I know that TTG and MRV do not work with the S3 box (keeping fingers crossed). For those of you that do have an S3, are you able to use Amazon Unbox?

If so, how is the picture? With my S2DT the picture is almost DVD quality. I imagine, because it's a purely digital box that the S3 would have a better picture.
Yes, Unbox works on Series 3.
I have not compared to the Series 2, but it looks about between "Best" TiVo recording quality and DVD.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #173
Redux
No intent to annoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio
For those of you that do have an S3, are you able to use Amazon Unbox?

Picture varies according to source. OK. Casual viewers won't generally see a huge amout of in-your-face defieciencies compared to DVDs, though they are there.

Shouldn't be any huge difference between the s2 & s3 in playback.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:15 PM   #174
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
Like I said when the S3 was introduced, its not going to bother me if they grab some low hanging fanboys for $299 for a short while. But they need to come down $50, maybe $70 for XMAS to really hit it big. So I hope they can afford that.
I am a little more positive about the pricing than I was previously ( http://hdtivo.wordpress.com/2007/07/...signs-of-lite/ ); $299 is a pretty good start. I’d like to see them come down $20-50 by XMAS.

I think TiVo could have moderate success with this, restricted of course by the price/commitments of service.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #175
herfmonster
technology squeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
What is the right DVR/price for this year's market?
The right DVR for ME will be a S-3 or S-4 that includes at least a...

250G hard drive
HDMI output
Dual ATSC tuners...and...
A LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION OFFER...AND...
A DUAL LAYER BLU-RAY BURNER BUILT IN!!!

The price I will snap this device up at is $599.99

I think I still have about two years to wait for that device and price.

The renewal of the lifetime subscription offer or not isn't a deal breaker but would seal the deal. I would be willing to pay $399.99 for lifetime service.
herfmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:27 PM   #176
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herfmonster
The right DVR for ME will be a S-3 or S-4 that includes at least a...

250G hard drive
HDMI output
Dual ATSC tuners...and...
A LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION OFFER...AND...
A DUAL LAYER BLU-RAY BURNER BUILT IN!!!

The price I will snap this device up at is $599.99

I think I still have about two years to wait for that device and price.

The renewal of the lifetime subscription offer or not isn't a deal breaker but would seal the deal. I would be willing to pay $399.99 for lifetime service.
The right one for ME is one that

- Makes me coffee in the morning
- Brings me beer at night
- Makes popcorn
- Runs on air instead of electricity
- Has a built in 400" projector

For $99, I'd snap it up!

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:27 PM   #177
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Aside from the standard TiVo remote and no front panel display, is this really a "lite" version of the Series 3?

Seems to have all the other features.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:11 AM   #178
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I've become very used to the OLED panel now, I use it all the time to see what is being recorded. So much that I would probably not want an S3 without it unless the cost savings was major like $300 but my last S3 was only around $540 back in December.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 AM   #179
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof
Aside from the standard TiVo remote and no front panel display, is this really a "lite" version of the Series 3?

Not lite on features. Lite on the wallet.
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:25 AM   #180
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof

It could just be the components, as pointed out earlier. Integrated chips for decoding rather than separate chips, and other stuff, as well as the smaller HD, missing display and different remote.

Even though a 540 model series 2 is newer than a 240 model, it is doing some things slower due to having integrated chips (as I understand it). Could be a similar situation here.

Not sure if that's worth warranting the "lite" tag though - that will not be the name (also mentioned earlier ).