TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Sadara
huh?

Is it time to buy a Series 3?

I haven't been watching Series 3 prices, until lately. I noticed today that the price is now 699, instead of 899 and the monthly fee is 16.95 per month or there are prepay options. But, the 699 vs the 899 is VERY tempting. Has anyone else been watching the pricing? Is this as good as it's going to get?

Thanks!!
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
TexasAg

Cheaper than you think ($200 rebate):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...7&page=1&pp=30
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
alyssa

plus with the backdoor eSATA port enabled, it's like, WOW, too much space
<grin, there's never too much hd space>

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Plus you can get it for $599 before rebate, not $699 (and it started at only $799).

S3 for $400 is the way to go.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
rmassey
Damn, these are fun!

S3 - $599 - 200(rebate) = $399

Prepay 3yrs of service @ $299 = $8.31/mo
rmassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
braggo

I have been thinking about buying an S3 as well due to the price drop. Is it worth it even without HD (I live in the boondocks). I do have digital cable though and I'm currently using a cable card in my TV.
braggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #7
osterber

I just picked one up. I have SD television but plan to shortly make the jump. Comcast comes this afternoon with cablecards. [crosses fingers]

(I'm upgrading from a Sony series 1 Tivo.)

-Rick
osterber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
JPA2825

I currently have 3 S2s in use (2 @ 140 hrs & 1 #@ 40 hrs.). The 40 hr. is on lifetime and the other 2 are $6.95/mo.

I also have the local cable HD Box (Motorola dual tuner approx. 17 hrs.) which costs $12.95/mo.

If I were to go for the S3, I'd shell out $399 for the hardware (after rebate). What would be my payment options on the monthly fee? Could I still get MSD for $6.95/mo. based on having the lifetime and the 2 140s? If not, what would my options be?

I'd probably take 1 of the 140s out of service (save $6.95/mo.). I could also substitute 2 cable cards for the Moto ($12.95/mo. less 2x ~$3/mo.).

I do have an HD TV that the Moto box is on and the S3 would be on.

Any thoughts on my best course of action?
JPA2825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

I absolutely love my s3.

I am also slowly becoming convinced there is a good chance that SDV will render the s3 limited in what HD channels I receive in the next year or so (I am in a mid-size market).

Just keep it in mind when making the plunge.
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
Granzella

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA2825
I currently have 3 S2s in use (2 @ 140 hrs & 1 #@ 40 hrs.). The 40 hr. is on lifetime and the other 2 are $6.95/mo.

I also have the local cable HD Box (Motorola dual tuner approx. 17 hrs.) which costs $12.95/mo.

If I were to go for the S3, I'd shell out $399 for the hardware (after rebate). What would be my payment options on the monthly fee? Could I still get MSD for $6.95/mo. based on having the lifetime and the 2 140s? If not, what would my options be?

I'd probably take 1 of the 140s out of service (save $6.95/mo.). I could also substitute 2 cable cards for the Moto ($12.95/mo. less 2x ~$3/mo.).

I do have an HD TV that the Moto box is on and the S3 would be on.

Any thoughts on my best course of action?
Yes, you would get the MSD for $6.95.
Granzella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
SugarBowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadara
I haven't been watching Series 3 prices, until lately. I noticed today that the price is now 699, instead of 899 and the monthly fee is 16.95 per month or there are prepay options. But, the 699 vs the 899 is VERY tempting. Has anyone else been watching the pricing? Is this as good as it's going to get?

Thanks!!
I'm sure someone around here has been watching.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #12
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig_duggler
I absolutely love my s3.

I am also slowly becoming convinced there is a good chance that SDV will render the s3 limited in what HD channels I receive in the next year or so (I am in a mid-size market).

Just keep it in mind when making the plunge.
Unless you go with FIOS, in which case SDV is irrelevent and you get lots more HD right away.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab
Unless you go with FIOS, in which case SDV is irrelevent and you get lots more HD right away.
Seriously, do you work for Verizon?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #14
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Put it in my area and I'm there. Unfortunately, FIOS is not available in many markets.
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #15
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX
Seriously, do you work for Verizon?
Nope... I just love their product.

Verios FIOS Internet + Verizon FIOS TV + Tivo S3 = TV utopia

I've been waiting for ~3 years for this combo, and it's finally all here for me (as of last week). Yay me.

!
Old 06-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #16
askewed
Snoogins

Quote:
Nope... I just love their product.

Verios FIOS Internet + Verizon FIOS TV + Tivo S3 = TV utopia

I've been waiting for ~3 years for this combo, and it's finally all here for me (as of last week). Yay me.

+1

on Twitter @
askewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #17
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by askewed
+1
+2
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #18
gwsat

FIOS would be a very interesting option for me because, like Verizon’s FIOS service in some markets, Cox OKC provides my cable TV, high speed Internet, and telephone service, all three. It would be refreshing if Cox had to compete with somebody who could furnish all three services and would not disable my S3 with SDV. Alas, FIOS is not available in OKC. Maybe someday.
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #19
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg
+2
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #20
MickeS

I might have to buy a Series 3 now... and since I'd use it for OTA HD only, SDV doesn't really matter.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #21
pauldy

Funny cause the sig already shows an S3. My vote is still a no go with this device, its just as much a pos as the moto box you get from the cable companies. You basically trade off problems from one device to the other. I was excited about the moxi but it isn't available here so for me at least I'm still in the market for a good hd dvr.
pauldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #22
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldy
Funny cause the sig already shows an S3. My vote is still a no go with this device, its just as much a pos as the moto box you get from the cable companies. You basically trade off problems from one device to the other. I was excited about the moxi but it isn't available here so for me at least I'm still in the market for a good hd dvr.
Um, clearly you don't have a S3. If you did, you'd know they don't even come close. The S3 works, the Moto (and SA) are junk.

!
Old 06-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #23
acvthree

AbMagFab is dead on. Of course, I have that Verizon Fios Ethernet/TV/Series 3 nirvana thing going as well. I couldn't be happier with the combination.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:37 AM   #24
KustomMerc

Costco must be out...! here is a new link.....but hurry

http://www.shoplocal.com/latimes/def...tingid=3246678
KustomMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #25
gwsat

Quote:
How do you spell "TROLL"? Let me count the ways. Sometimes it makes a lot more sense to keep your mouth shut at the risk of seeming ignorant, than it does to open it and leave no doubt.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #26
richsadams

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat
How do you spell "TROLL"? Let me count the ways. Sometimes it makes a lot more sense to keep your mouth shut at the risk of seeming ignorant, than it does to open it and leave no doubt.
+1
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:26 PM   #27
snowbunny

It's still possible to try to gently convince TiVo to transfer over a lifetime subscription if you own an S1 or S2 with lifetime.

It took a lot of convincing but I did it last week. You do still have to pay the transfer fee.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #28
pauldy

Quote:
Um, clearly you don't have a S3. If you did, you'd know they don't even come close. The S3 works, the Moto (and SA) are junk.
What would make you think I didn't have one, because I'm not happy with it, get real not everyone is so enamored with the TiVo logo as to overlook the shortcomings in favor of it. For me at least it really felt like I traded off one set of problems for another set equally as frustrating. Not to mention the price tag, and service fees which helps increase my bitterness with it.

As for my S1 I have nothing but good things to say about it, but that was a different TiVo as a company all together.
pauldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #29
gwsat

Quote:
What would make you think I didn't have one, because I'm not happy with it, get real not everyone is so enamored with the TiVo logo as to overlook the shortcomings in favor of it. For me at least it really felt like I traded off one set of problems for another set equally as frustrating. Not to mention the price tag, and service fees which helps increase my bitterness with it.

As for my S1 I have nothing but good things to say about it, but that was a different TiVo as a company all together.
I am still confused. Did you or did you not buy an S3? If you returned it or sold it, how long did you have it before you did so?

Based on my many years of using the TiVo software with my S1 and my equally happy experience with the S3, I can’t imagine how someone who owned an S1 and had “nothing but good things to say about it” could have so many bad things to say about the S3. Can you explain?

A curious readership awaits.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #30
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat
I am still confused. Did you or did you not buy an S3? If you returned it or sold it, how long did you have it before you did so?

Based on my many years of using the TiVo software with my S1 and my equally happy experience with the S3, I can’t imagine how someone who owned an S1 and had “nothing but good things to say about it” could have so many bad things to say about the S3. Can you explain?

A curious readership awaits.
Agreed. And having owned several POS Comcast Motorola boxes, the difference between one of them and an S3 is like comparing, well...if I have to say a Yugo and a BMW once more I think I'll hurl.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote