TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
jacksonian

TWC Greensboro, NC releasing Tuning Adapter!

I just got the call this am, have an appointment for 10am tomorrow for installation! He said he could only install one for now. I'll post how it goes. Can't wait!
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
jpd31

That is great news!!!! I'm waiting for my phone call as well for the TA. I'm in Winston-Salem, so I should be hearing from them. Personally, I rather install the TA myself than a tech. When I had to get the cablecards installed, I had to do the install myself as the TW tech did not know how to install the cablecards in a tivo. Even though I had the instructions in my hand to give to him, he did not want it and the first thing he does is install both cablecards in at the same time. At that point, I took over the installation myself since I saw he did not know what he was doing. So, that is why I rather install the TA myself.
jpd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
rv65

You can get one at the payment center. At least some divisions do that. It's not that hard to do. The TA uses both USB and coax. You have to disconnect the cable that's plugged into the Tivo's cable input and plug it into the TA's cable input. You then wire a cable that goes from the output into the Tivo's cable input. Finally just plug it in and power it up. It might require a reboot or activation.
rv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
jacksonian

As far as I know, our local TWC isn't letting customers do their own install yet. This is brand new, I think I'm the first one to get it outside of internal beta testing. I'm sure once they get some practice they may allow that, but not yet.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
ncbagwell

Great news! I am in the Raleigh market. I'm wondering if we are on the same schedule as Greensboro (or at least hopefully not far behind).
ncbagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
jacksonian

2 techs here working right now. Will keep you posted
Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
ldc3000

Cool! I'm in G'boro as well. I guess I'll give TW a call.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
jacksonian

Charlie worked all day getting me up and running! Finally we were successful. Animal Planet seems a little spotty as far as coming in regularly. Kudos to TWC for working so hard and not giving up until it was right.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
convergent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbagwell View Post
Great news! I am in the Raleigh market. I'm wondering if we are on the same schedule as Greensboro (or at least hopefully not far behind).
I am in Raleigh also. In another thread someone said that Raleigh doesn't have the stuff installed yet that Time Warner needs in order top operate with the TAs. So we are definitely NOT on the same schedule.... unfortunately.
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
jacksonian

Talked with the chief tech again this am, says they made some more updates last night, that's why channels were a little spotty and they'll probably be doing that for the next week or so getting all the kinks worked out. He also said on his regular TWC DVR boxes at his home that it's not uncommon for him to not be able to tune an SDV channel because all the streams are full. He's working on an error message for the TA to tell us that rather than just getting a blank screen and wondering if it's a problem with the TA or just not enough space available on the node for the request.

But it's soooo nice to be able to get all those channels on my TiVo now. I think I counted about 20 HD channels that TWC Greensboro had added on SDV since they started this. I just tried not to watch them on the one DVR box that I had because I knew it would just make me miss them on the TiVo.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
jpd31

Just curious, what problems did they run across during your install? Also, do you get the HBO West Coast feeds as well now?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #12
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd31 View Post
Just curious, what problems did they run across during your install? Also, do you get the HBO West Coast feeds as well now?
Main problem was the TA not acquiring an IP address from home base. But he was having the same problem with his test setup at HQ right after they changed the firmware on him the night before the install.

Channels fritzed out again last night a little. CC #1 was ok, we were watching HGTV-HD. But CC #2 threw up that error message I used to get when they would change CC firmware.

Chief installation tech that's helping me said to expect some problems like that this first week. Said they were going to have to change some codes from regional to local (or vice versa, can't remember) and make some other adjustments.

But he's been great, told me to call him up to 8pm at night if I was having trouble. I told him to keep his boundaries with work. If I was having trouble, I'd send him an email. I'm trying to keep him updated as everything happens so he knows in real time what's happening with us TiVo users.

Edit: Haven't checked HBO west feeds yet. Will get back to ya.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #13
AquarianDreamer

Hey Jacksonian, I bought a TIVO for my folks XMas present. I was on the phone a few hours with TWC-Triad and had someone at the house; they knew nothing about Tuning Adapters and then said they weren't being distributed yet. What's the magic phrase to get them to take one out to my folks?

Thanks!
AquarianDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #14
jacksonian

Just emailed Charlie about not getting those channels on CC#2. He said the TA only pairs with one of them. I'll see if I need to get a TiVoHD and an M-card if that might solve my problem? Any thoughts?

For the most part, it shouldn't be an issue. But I'm just worried about trying to record something and the TiVo not knowing that it needs to prioritize CC#1 for recording the SDV channels.

Last edited by jacksonian : 01-11-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquarianDreamer View Post
What's the magic phrase to get them to take one out to my folks?

Thanks!
Let me ask Charlie. I'm guessing most of the CSRs are still clueless. I know he said there were about 140 requests already, so it may be a little while before they can get to them.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #16
jpd31

Jacksonian,

Just curious on how your tuning adapter is working out. Any problems lately and was wondering what you have found out about your S-cards situation with the tuning adapter.

Has anyone else in the Greensboro area gotten there tuning adapters yet?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #17
jacksonian

Quote:
Jacksonian,

Just curious on how your tuning adapter is working out. Any problems lately and was wondering what you have found out about your S-cards situation with the tuning adapter.

Has anyone else in the Greensboro area gotten there tuning adapters yet?
I still can't tune SDV channels with both tuners, just on CC#1 for right now. Charlie's trying to figure out what the problem is. But at least I can get them on one for now, just can't record 2 SDV channels simultaneously yet.

The only other completed install is Xiandeath a couple of days ago. He can actually tune both at the same time and I believe he has 2 S-cards also, but may be on a TiVoHD. Charlie tried configuring our accounts the same, but it hasn't worked yet.

I think there's problem just something wrong in my account balancing or provisioning on the cablecards. They're definitely committed to getting it worked out. And I think as soon as they get the codes right, they'll be able to go to the customer pickup/install thing.

Charlie said they were running the same type of setup as San Antonio but that Greensboro had a newer billing system software so they couldn't copy their setup exactly.

Will keep you posted, but I'm very hopeful.

Last edited by jacksonian : 01-15-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
jacksonian

WooHoo! Charlie got it worked out just now. Both CC's tuning SDV channels successfully. He said he now has all 3 configurations working (S3 with Scards, THD with Scards, and THD with an Mcard), so they should be moving faster.

He said his plan is to do a few more installs over the next 2 weeks, and then really open up the deployment, hopefully with customer pickup/install (no truck roll).

For now, he said the best way to get on the list was to use the web form, that gets compiled and sent to him. But then hopefully in a couple of weeks we should be able to get as many as we need.

Time to order a couple more TiVo's and get rid of the last remaining TWC DVR boxes!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:02 AM   #19
jpd31

That is great news!!!! Thanks for the update!! I actually have signed us twice on the webpage (one time in November and the other time in early January). So, I will just wait for the day till I get my phone call. I bet it will be the month of February when they will open it up for the rest of us. Can't wait!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #20
jpd31

Hey Jacksonian, how has that tuning adapter been working out? Any problems with it?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #21
jacksonian

Quote:
Hey Jacksonian, how has that tuning adapter been working out? Any problems with it?
Working great. Only issues I notice (which I think are just with SDV, not the TA) is that occasionally if the TiVo has been on an SDV channel and I turn the TV on, the picture is grayed out or maybe frozen or no sound. But if I rewind for a second or hit the instant replay button, it starts working normally. Not sure what that quirk is.

I've had a couple of occasions where SDV showed its limits and I couldn't tune a couple of channels because all the streams were busy.

Looks like we get some new HD channels in a couple of weeks!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #22
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
WooHoo! Charlie got it worked out just now. Both CC's tuning SDV channels successfully. He said he now has all 3 configurations working (S3 with Scards, THD with Scards, and THD with an Mcard), so they should be moving faster.

He said his plan is to do a few more installs over the next 2 weeks, and then really open up the deployment, hopefully with customer pickup/install (no truck roll).

For now, he said the best way to get on the list was to use the web form, that gets compiled and sent to him. But then hopefully in a couple of weeks we should be able to get as many as we need.

Time to order a couple more TiVo's and get rid of the last remaining TWC DVR boxes!!!!!!
Did he give you any indication of what the problem was relative to not being able to tune SDV on both tuners? Account balancing?

There is a guy in SC with the same issue......
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #23
jacksonian

I don't know specifics, but I think it was the balancing. He had me read off the CC#'s and host ID's again for each one and then did something in the system and we rebooted and it started working.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #24
rockonword

I got a call today from TWC Greensboro. Looks like they're rolling them out! I have an appointment for Wednesday morning... they do require a truck roll. I signed up the day the form came online in October, so it looks like they still have the names if you signed up early on. I can't wait!
rockonword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #25
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockonword View Post
I got a call today from TWC Greensboro. Looks like they're rolling them out! I have an appointment for Wednesday morning... they do require a truck roll. I signed up the day the form came online in October, so it looks like they still have the names if you signed up early on. I can't wait!
Great, Charlie told me they would go live today, but I didn't want to make any promises in case they had a delay. Hopefully they can do away with the truck roll before long.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #26
jmfirestone

Got mine installed yesterday! It took the tech awhile, but it was finally working when he left at 8pm!
jmfirestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #27
jmfirestone

Quote:
I don't know specifics, but I think it was the balancing. He had me read off the CC#'s and host ID's again for each one and then did something in the system and we rebooted and it started working.
They had an issue with that with my install. They apparently had my cards switched around in their system (card 1 info was in card 2's place and vice versa) and that prevented it from working for me. As they matched each card correctly, each tuner came online seconds later.
jmfirestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #28
jacksonian

Awesome, glad you're hooked up!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #29
jacksonian

Hey, is anyone having trouble with their SDV channels? For some unknown reason, I've lost all my SDV channels. The S3 is giving me the "channel is temporarily unavailable message" that it gives when all the streams are busy. But it's that way on every SDV channel (and they're coming in fine on the TWC box downstairs, so the streams aren't busy.

I've got Charlie working on it, but wanted to see if anyone else is having trouble this week. He says Tivo's supposedly releasing a patch this weekend to help with some TA compatibility issues.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #30
KeithB

Quote:
Hey, is anyone having trouble with their SDV channels? For some unknown reason, I've lost all my SDV channels. The S3 is giving me the "channel is temporarily unavailable message" that it gives when all the streams are busy. But it's that way on every SDV channel (and they're coming in fine on the TWC box downstairs, so the streams aren't busy.

I've got Charlie working on it, but wanted to see if anyone else is having trouble this week. He says Tivo's supposedly releasing a patch this weekend to help with some TA compatibility issues.
I just received my TA (in Charlotte) this morning, and I've been out of the house most of the day. If Tivo's update better handles the TA resets/reboots, that will be a major improvement.
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote