Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2009, 07:30 PM   #2221
wublet
total newb

SOLVED - Comcast Oakland CA

Thanks for taking a look.

Looks like this is a non-issue for all CableCARD customers including Series3 owners, for the following reasons.

I went to the site and entered my Unique Digital ID. The next page included this footer note: "If you have any digital TV sets or any sets with CableCard, Tru2Way, or TiVo Series 3 connected to Comcast, click here for further instructions." I clicked and the following came up: "Further Instructions -- Most customers who have purchased these advanced TV sets or other equipment should already lease a CableCard TM from Comcast, and therefore already receive digital signals on that set and don't need any additional equipment."

So it looks like this is not about SDV. Apologies for starting this on the SDV thread, obviously I misinterpreted the Comcast mailer. And thanks much for looking into it!
wublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #2222
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I was surfing to find info on the Tuning Adapter Diagnostics Screens and found this interesting link announcing that some tech writers at Cisco had received an award for a document entitled: Understanding the Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter Diagnostic Screen Application Guide.

I believe it's an internal document only available in print -- I couldn't find it on the Cisco web pages. I sent an email to their support asking about getting a copy...........
I got the document! I won't bore you with the war story of what hoops I had to jump through -- I don't think I told any lies.

It does look helpful so I'm making it available. It's a 1.4 MB PDF, so I've put it on a free download site. (It only compressed 15% with zipping, so why bother?)

Enjoy!

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #2223
moyekj

First deployment of Motorola Tuning Adapter slated for September

Looks like the first deployment of Motorola Tuning Adapter is slated for September/October time frame for Cox Orange County, CA (Motorola headends) depending on how long beta testing takes:
http://gadgetress.freedomblogging.co...otorola/20165/
There are already a bunch of SDV channels deployed in that market including the latest round of HD channel additions.

(As probably most of you know to date all Tuning Adapters publicly deployed to date have been Cisco).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #2224
Danno

Actually, I received a Motorola MTR700 from TWC way up here in Bangor, Maine on 9/4. Seems to be working fine, but I can't be sure until SDV is implemented here on 9/15.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #2225
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Actually, I received a Motorola MTR700 from TWC way up here in Bangor, Maine on 9/4. Seems to be working fine, but I can't be sure until SDV is implemented here on 9/15.
Who's your cable provider and what IPG are they running on their leased boxes? Macrovision/Gemstar's i-Guide?

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #2226
Danno

Mike -

Cable provider is Time Warner. If you tell me how to find the other info you asked for, I'll be happy to supply it.

Dan
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #2227
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Cable provider is Time Warner. If you tell me how to find the other info you asked for, I'll be happy to supply it.
Thanks, but I went to the TWC Maine site and found the DVR Quick-Start Guide which would indicate that it is i-Guide, which would mean that they've got an SDV capable version. There haven't been many SDV rollouts on Moto networks, which is why I was interested.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 09-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #2228
cdeckert219
technogeek

Very cool!

Quote:
I got the document! I won't bore you with the war story of what hoops I had to jump through -- I don't think I told any lies.

It does look helpful so I'm making it available. It's a 1.4 MB PDF, so I've put it on a free download site. (It only compressed 15% with zipping, so why bother?)

Enjoy!
Hey, this is very interesting...may help me solve my TA ongoing issues. Thanks for sharing! Very much appreciated.
Series 2 TCD540040 refurb w/300gb
cdeckert219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #2229
floridaman01

I am in the process of ordering a Tivo HD XL TCD658000 DVR. I am currently using FIOS and have ordered the required "M" card to use. From the research I have done it appears that FIOS doesn't utilize SDV channels so I shouldn't experience any problems receiving all of the FIOS channels on the Tivo DVR. Is this statement correct? I have also read that the signal strength could be too strong and may have to be toned down some otherwise the channels might pixelate. Is this true? Any input from FIOS subscribers using the Tivo HD XL box would be great.

Thanks
floridaman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:36 AM   #2230
moyekj

True that FIOS does not implement SDV so no worries there. Also with latest Tivo series 3 software there is no need to attenuate the signal from FIOS anymore as a fix was implemented for that problem.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #2231
floridaman01

Moyekj:

Thanks very much for your reply. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Doug
floridaman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #2232
wcohoe

Angry SDV "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
ianfarrell said: So several months into this now and I still get break up of most SDV channels with only the odd daily 1 or 2 RS Corrected and no RS Uncorrected. SNR at 34dB and Signal around 86 to 90.
I have a TWC tech coming out for the umpteenth time this morning.
What gets me is if it was break up on all channels I could understand there being either a signal or Tivo problem, but only SDV channels (nearly all HD) makes me believe it's TWC's problem. Maybe somebody wiser here can correct me if I'm wrong.

TWC is aware and is working with TiVo and Cisco on the issue. So far, they havent been able to track it down.
Bump. I have the exact same problem. occasional breakup of SDV channels only. Now that it's hockey season, with FSCAROLINA showing HD hockey, I am prepared to be royally annoyed again this year. Is there any end in sight to this breakup issue?
wcohoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #2233
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcohoe View Post
Bump. I have the exact same problem. occasional breakup of SDV channels only. Now that it's hockey season, with FSCAROLINA showing HD hockey, I am prepared to be royally annoyed again this year. Is there any end in sight to this breakup issue?
I believe they are close to the 'smoking gun'. Now how long it will take after the gun is found to implement a fix is hard to tell. That is where the finger pointing between Cisco and TiVo could start as to 'whose' problem it is and 'who' needs to implement a fix.... I expect the fix will untimately come from TiVo/Broadcom if what I believe is the problem is correct. TWC may be able to tweak some compression parameters and improve the situation too but at the expense of PQ for non TiVo users. Im not sure they will be willing to do that but you never know. They do care about us TiVo people.... they have proven that to me.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #2234
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
They do care about us TiVo people.... they have proven that to me.
The next time I have an issue, can you call it in and give them my address so they can prove it to me?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #2235
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
............ They do care about us TiVo people.... they have proven that to me.
But who does "they" include? All TWC regions ???

and
Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #2236
SCSIRAID

Quote:
But who does "they" include? All TWC regions ???
I can only speak relative to the folks I have worked with on this issue... I truly believe they care about their product and want it to be 'right'. One mans opinion.. but one who has spent a lot of time with TWC folks in the last several months trying to figure this one out. YMMV.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #2237
m_jonis

Quote:
I believe they are close to the 'smoking gun'. Now how long it will take after the gun is found to implement a fix is hard to tell. That is where the finger pointing between Cisco and TiVo could start as to 'whose' problem it is and 'who' needs to implement a fix.... I expect the fix will untimately come from TiVo/Broadcom if what I believe is the problem is correct. TWC may be able to tweak some compression parameters and improve the situation too but at the expense of PQ for non TiVo users. Im not sure they will be willing to do that but you never know. They do care about us TiVo people.... they have proven that to me.
TW cares about Tivo people?

Not sure about all TW areas, but from what I've seen the vast majority of TW areas implement CCI bytes to render MRV and TTG useless (that's caring?) Our local TW in Albany, NY says it's a Corporate policy for ALL of TW.

And our local TW doesn't give a rats ... about Tivo. We've had nothing but problems with the TA and SDV with Tivos since the day it got rolled out and we're still having issues. The constant retort is either to reboot the TA and the Tivo, or "if you had TW DVR you wouldn't have this problem", or "why do you have a Tivo?".

But again, I suppose you could live in the odd TW area that doesn't set every channel except local broadcast to 0x02 and one that doesn't have massive pixelation, TA reboots, and SDV channel outages all the time.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #2238
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
........... I expect the fix will untimately come from TiVo/Broadcom if what I believe is the problem is correct. TWC may be able to tweak some compression parameters and improve the situation too but at the expense of PQ for non TiVo users. .........
From this I am getting what you don't explicitly state: The TiVo decoding process is not properly handling valid cable mpeg2 streams, correct?

If this is the case, could it provide hope for users in other TWC regions (and maybe other cable cos) in the sense that whatever improvements TiVo eventually may implement to handle this should make their decoding process generally more robust? That would be something to be happy about!

What makes this particular to just SDV channels? Are they encoded with different parameters?

and
Old 10-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #2239
SCSIRAID

Quote:
From this I am getting what you don't explicitly state: The TiVo decoding process is not properly handling valid cable mpeg2 streams, correct?

If this is the case, could it provide hope for users in other TWC regions (and maybe other cable cos) in the sense that whatever improvements TiVo eventually may implement to handle this should make their decoding process generally more robust? That would be something to be happy about!

What makes this particular to just SDV channels? Are they encoded with different parameters?
I didnt say it specifically because it isnt proven yet... The mpeg coming from the compressor may work with Cisco equipment but that doesnt mean that its 'legal'... From my discussions with the TWC MPEG guy... the mpeg 'spec' is open to interpretations. The worst case scenario is where Cisco says its legal and TiVo says its not... Who arbitrates?

Also... this current thinking may be wrong... Another possible place for the problem to be is in the Edge QAM. My understanding is that for linear, the transport stream is built upstream and shipped straight thru the Edge QAM. For SDV, the Edge QAM has to rebuild the transport stream based on what programs the service group is 'requesting'. If anybody has further insight, Id love to hear it.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #2240
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I didnt say it specifically because it isnt proven yet... The mpeg coming from the compressor may work with Cisco equipment but that doesnt mean that its 'legal'... From my discussions with the TWC MPEG guy... the mpeg 'spec' is open to interpretations. The worst case scenario is where Cisco says its legal and TiVo says its not... Who arbitrates?

Also... this current thinking may be wrong... Another possible place for the problem to be is in the Edge QAM. My understanding is that for linear, the transport stream is built upstream and shipped straight thru the Edge QAM. For SDV, the Edge QAM has to rebuild the transport stream based on what programs the service group is 'requesting'. If anybody has further insight, Id love to hear it.
If the "current thinking" is correct, I'm still wondering what would explain problems only occurring on SDV channels? Are they generally encoded with different parameters.

The other possible theory obviously explains differences between linear and SDV channels.

Given the technical complexities it's amazing things work as well as they do. The only way to guarantee performance equal to the STB's would be to duplicate their hardware and software. And that would only cover one brand and model of STB.

It's also surprising TWC is willing to show this much interest in a problem that only effects about 0.5% of their digital subscriber base. I wonder if they have an ulterior motive, e.g., prep work for a future collaboration with TiVo ?

Is the TWC mpeg guy national or local?

and
Old 10-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #2241
SCSIRAID

Quote:
If the "current thinking" is correct, I'm still wondering what would explain problems only occurring on SDV channels? Are they generally encoded with different parameters.

The other possible theory obviously explains differences between linear and SDV channels.

Given the technical complexities it's amazing things work as well as they do. The only way to guarantee performance equal to the STB's would be to duplicate their hardware and software. And that would only cover one brand and model of STB.

It's also surprising TWC is willing to show this much interest in a problem that only effects about 0.5% of their digital subscriber base. I wonder if they have an ulterior motive, e.g., prep work for a future collaboration with TiVo ?

Is the TWC mpeg guy national or local?
Yes.. That is what impresses me about them in this case. They have poured much effort into this issue. My email file with discussions is huge and I get responses in hours to sometimes minutes. Once you get into Tech Ops... everything changes. One of the guys I deal with has a TiVo S2 DT himself.

Carolinas... but not based in Raleigh.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #2242
pavanb500

Just got a letter from Bright House saying they're going SDV around the beginning of November (Port Orange/Daytona Beach, FL).

However, when I called them, they said that I HAD to pay ~$70 for a truck roll... They did this for the Cable Cards as well, even though the tech was clueless and I ended up doing all the work - including calling in to pair it.

What is the general experience in regards to having to pay for an installer vs. picking it up from the local office? Has anyone on Brighthouse been able to get out of the extortion fee?

Thanks!
pavanb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #2243
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I get the impression that most people have been having been picking them up and self-installing. (When I had one, I was a beta test installation--TWC San Diego's first--so a tech and two engineers showed up to install it and I wasn't charged).

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #2244
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
I get the impression that most people have been having been picking them up and self-installing. (When I had one, I was a beta test installation--TWC San Diego's first--so a tech and two engineers showed up to install it and I wasn't charged).
I get the opposite impression but .... it is what it is.

My theory is if you already have cards installed, there is at least a chance you might be able to pick up and install the TA. But policies on installation seem to be individually set by each local cable provider, and as far as I know there is no governing law, and not even a legal requirement for them to provide a TA.

and
Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #2245
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanb500 View Post
Just got a letter from Bright House saying they're going SDV around the beginning of November (Port Orange/Daytona Beach, FL).

However, when I called them, they said that I HAD to pay ~$70 for a truck roll... They did this for the Cable Cards as well, even though the tech was clueless and I ended up doing all the work - including calling in to pair it.

What is the general experience in regards to having to pay for an installer vs. picking it up from the local office? Has anyone on Brighthouse been able to get out of the extortion fee?

Thanks!
TWC Carolinas is no charge self install for TA's. You place your order online and they drop ship one to you preauthorized on your account. Simple as pie.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #2246
apsarkis

Quote:
TWC Carolinas is no charge self install for TA's. You place your order online and they drop ship one to you preauthorized on your account. Simple as pie.
TWC Hudson Valley (NY) is self-install but you have to pick them up at one of their offices. Their Port Ewen, NY office is rationing them out. They were promised on 10/7, only got 3 in on 10/16, so they only gave me one (though I have an S3 and an HDT), and a friend with an HD Tivo took another. I went back today (10/21) and they said they're still short and limiting to one to a customer (and they've already started moving some of my premium channels to SDV).
Perry
apsarkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #2247
Hystyk28

Does anyone know if they flipped the switch Comcast-Garden State Cable ? I was issued a box way back, but then told not to use it. I now have a bunch of missing channels. any help would be appreciated.
Hystyk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #2248
JimMatthews

Got Cisco tuning adapter in Portland, Maine

I got a Cisco tuning adapter from Time Warner here in Portland, Maine a few weeks ago. I went into the local office (by the Jetport) for an unrelated issue, and the customer service person (Matt, who was very TiVo/CableCard savvy) offered me one. About a year ago I had signed up to be notified when they became available, but I hadn't received any notice.

SDV channels did not show up immediately, but a call to Time Warner got them working.
JimMatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #2249
Richard Berg

Still trying to get a tuning adapter from Comcast in NJ. Level 1 techs are totally clueless, of course.
Richard Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:55 AM   #2250
deandashl

Quote:
I get the opposite impression but .... it is what it is.

My theory is if you already have cards installed, there is at least a chance you might be able to pick up and install the TA. But policies on installation seem to be individually set by each local cable provider, and as far as I know there is no governing law, and not even a legal requirement for them to provide a TA.
FCC rules. All cable franchises using SDV must provide tuning adapters. If you get the runaround, you can file a complaint.
deandashl is offline   Reply With Quote