TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #2161
FrancesTheMute
Resident Nihilist

i got my TA a couple weeks ago. Seemed to work fine at first, but I noticed the LED on the front was blinking. Then a few days later, the LED stopped blinking and was just on, and the TA isn't working correctly, most SDV channels won't come in, all non-SDV channels work fine. I just disconnected it this weekend, was tired of dealing with it. I have my TWC HD-DVR hooked up to the same TV, I just use that for viewing/recording SDV channels.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #2162
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancesTheMute View Post
i got my TA a couple weeks ago. Seemed to work fine at first, but I noticed the LED on the front was blinking. Then a few days later, the LED stopped blinking and was just on, and the TA isn't working correctly, most SDV channels won't come in, all non-SDV channels work fine. I just disconnected it this weekend, was tired of dealing with it. I have my TWC HD-DVR hooked up to the same TV, I just use that for viewing/recording SDV channels.
The tuning adapter is for tivo not tvs.

Why do you need to worry about sdv since you already have the STB?
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #2163
jsshattuck

Alternate COAX in for the TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Here is another question.... Anybody see any issues with using a unique coax to the TA instead of using the pass thru capability of the TA. I have two cable feeds into my cabinet and would just as soon avoid the split inside the TA. I dont believe there is any kind of communications between the TA and TiVo on the coax (given that TiVo doesnt have an upstream xmitter) so it would seem to be just fine.
Not a problem. I have a "clean" coax feed for my Series 3 TiVo, and drive the TA with the line to my Series 2 TiVo. Works very well except that the COAX IN connector has a short on my TA, and the cable that came with the TA has a bad connector. Can you say CHEAP? Otherwise, the TA's operation is flawless and the only connection to the Series 3 is the USB cable.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsshattuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #2164
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancesTheMute View Post
i got my TA a couple weeks ago. Seemed to work fine at first, but I noticed the LED on the front was blinking. Then a few days later, the LED stopped blinking and was just on, and the TA isn't working correctly, most SDV channels won't come in, all non-SDV channels work fine.
This can usually be fixed by simply un-plugging the USB cable from the TiVo and plugging it back in. It's possible the TA may need to be power cycled.
lrhorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #2165
timstack8969

SDV-Cherry Hill, NJ

Hello, I have Comcast of Garden State and live in Mt Laurel, NJ. Thinking about buying a Series 3 TIVO. Is Comcast using "Switched Digital Video" here in Mt. Laurel? Does anyone know?
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #2166
MichaelK

i believe the cherry hill area is using SDV and has already handed out the adapters- search around some more.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #2167
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstack8969 View Post
Hello, I have Comcast of Garden State and live in Mt Laurel, NJ. Thinking about buying a Series 3 TIVO. Is Comcast using "Switched Digital Video" here in Mt. Laurel? Does anyone know?
I did a search and found a thread in this forum on that topic: "SDV no more? - Comcast (Garden State)". I scanned it briefly and saw at least one response from someone in Mt. Laurel, here. The guy indicates that he picked up a couple of Tuning Adapters for his TiVos, though it wasn't clear whether they were needed on that system anymore.

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #2168
gsquared00

Edit** nevermind I RTFM.. thanks
gsquared00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #2169
ianfarrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsquared00 View Post
Hi all....long time lurker...I have a tivo HD with 2 cards and 2 coax cables.
can anyone tell me if I need 1 or 2 TA for my HD.
I'd like the ability to record one show and watch another.
You only need 1 TA.
ianfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #2170
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsquared00 View Post
Hi all....long time lurker...I have a tivo HD with 2 cards and 2 coax cables.
can anyone tell me if I need 1 or 2 TA for my HD.
I'd like the ability to record one show and watch another.
well the tivoHD is a dual tuner so you only need one cable and one tuning adapter to watch one show and record another.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #2171
dlfl
Cranky old novice

An earlier post said there should be a TWC web page telling what channels are SDV. I have TWC Southwest Ohio, specifically Dayton North. After the difficulty I've had just trying to find out what channels are provided with their "Digital Service", I am skeptical that a listing of SDV channels exists. Their channel lineup web page is very confusing, involving about 20 color coded packages with colors that are not unique. After three tries via email, I finally got someone to tell me which "packages" are included in "Digital Service", not that I have total confidence in this information.

If a web page listing SDV channels for my service area exists, could someone please post a link? (Or tell me how to get this info from their channel lineup page.)

I'm about to get digital service, cable card(s) and tuning adapter, and I would like to know what channels I should get, so I can tell whether all this stuff is installed correctly.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #2172
lrhorer

With the TA, you'll get the entire digital tier, including all regular HD channels. The only things you won't be able to get are VOD and IPPV. It's possible you might even be able to order an IPPV event by calling in, however.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #2173
Spoonerr

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anybody are in the orange county Cox area have any information on the tuning adapters, I tried to callling orange county cox to speak to everyone and they have no idea what I'am talking about. Does anyone know if they would come out one soon? or are they not even thinking making it available. Thanks
Spoonerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #2174
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonerr View Post
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anybody are in the orange county Cox area have any information on the tuning adapters, I tried to callling orange county cox to speak to everyone and they have no idea what I'am talking about. Does anyone know if they would come out one soon? or are they not even thinking making it available. Thanks
Orange county Florida? California? Indiana? New York? North Carolina? Texas? Vermont? Virginia?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #2175
Spoonerr

opps sorry. Orange county, CA
Spoonerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #2176
deuelpm

Finally!! CableVision (a.k.a. Io) in Northern NJ finally delivered my Terminal Adapter for SDV.
deuelpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #2177
bcronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuelpm View Post
Finally!! CableVision (a.k.a. Io) in Northern NJ finally delivered my Terminal Adapter for SDV.
Ditto here in Dutchess County NY. And by and large the install went OK. I have 2 TiVo HD's so got 2 TA's. One of them installed fine. The other had a non-functional coax cable which I had to replace and then all went well.

EXCEPT ... can anyone suggest reasons why some of the SDV channels (specifically those inthe 8xx range on the CableVision system) do not show up in the program guide? Its driving me crazy.
--
bc
bcronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #2178
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcronin View Post
EXCEPT ... can anyone suggest reasons why some of the SDV channels (specifically those inthe 8xx range on the CableVision system) do not show up in the program guide? Its driving me crazy.
I went through something similar here. TWC San Diego added a bunch of new channels around Christmas, all of them SDV, none of which immediately appeared in TiVo's guide. (You can see the list in this post at AVS Forum. At that time, the TA hadn't rolled out here, but I was beta-testing it for TWC).

It took several calls to TiVo support, spread over a period of months to get all of those channels into the guide, 2 or 3 at a time (they ask that you give them 5 business days to hopefully make the change and if you call back before that they'll ignore you).

I feel your pain--hopefully you'll get results faster and with less effort. Good luck!

"
" -- hookbill
Old 06-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #2179
bradenmcg
Big Geek

I'm about ready to take my Tuning Adapter and throw it against a brick wall. Every few weeks it will decide that it doesn't want to tune. Power cycling it alone does not resolve the problem, and rebooting the TiVoHD doesn't help either. Add to this that SDV stations have frequent blocking/breakup, both on picture and the digital sound dropping out.

I'm in North-East Ohio, Cuyahoga County. I do give props to TWC for handling the TA situation cleanly and easily - I got my adapters quickly and instructions to hook them up were clear. Unfortunately, no communication was given after I got the adapters, so I had no idea when I should actually start expecting new channels, etc. TWC NEOH scores an epic fail on communication.
bradenmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:03 AM   #2180
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradenmcg View Post
I had no idea when I should actually start expecting new channels, etc. TWC NEOH scores an epic fail on communication.
Cable providers are required by FCC regulation to publicly post a "legal notice" of intent to make changes in services delivered, no less than 30 days before those changes happen, to give their subscribers time to decide whether or not to drop their subscriptions to one or more tiers, should they not approve of the changes. Case in point: they recently dropped HDNet and HDNet Movies everywhere from their extra-cost package of four HD channels (called the "HD VIP Pack" here) and replaced them with Smithsonian HD and something called Mav HD. Many subscribers might want to drop that extra-cost package because they were subscribing to it mostly to get the HDNet channels; if they see the legal notice, they can do it before they're billed again.

They sometimes print the legal notice on their bills and in some community newspaper (probably not a major one). They also generally post it on their websites, which can be difficult to find. For NE Ohio, the notice of planned and possible changes to programming is here. Enjoy.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 06-23-2009, 03:07 AM   #2181
bicker
Gruff

There is no such FCC regulation. Many states do have such a regulation though, but it is not a federal law.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #2182
jacksonian

Quote:
I'm about ready to take my Tuning Adapter and throw it against a brick wall. Every few weeks it will decide that it doesn't want to tune. Power cycling it alone does not resolve the problem, and rebooting the TiVoHD doesn't help either. Add to this that SDV stations have frequent blocking/breakup, both on picture and the digital sound dropping out.

Yeah, I have the exact same issue with TWC Greensboro, NC. I have them coming out today because both S3's have lost all the SDV channels after an electrical storm.

It actually seemed like things were working pretty good after initial install and have gotten progressively worse. Don't know if they've been making changes or what.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #2183
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
There is no such FCC regulation. Many states do have such a regulation though, but it is not a federal law.
Huh. So...what's this, then ? Code of Federal Regulations, Title 47 §76.1603:
Quote:
(b) Customers will be notified of any changes in rates, programming services or channel positions as soon as possible in writing. Notice must be given to subscribers a minimum of thirty (30) days in advance of such changes if the change is within the control of the cable operator. In addition, the cable operator shall notify subscribers 30 days in advance of any significant changes in the other information required by §76.1602.

(c) In addition to the requirement of paragraph (b) of this section regarding advance notification to customers of any changes in rates, programming services or channel positions, cable systems shall give 30 days written notice to both subscribers and local franchising authorities before implementing any rate or service change. Such notice shall state the precise amount of any rate change and briefly explain in readily understandable fashion the cause of the rate change (e.g., inflation, change in external costs or the addition/deletion of channels). When the change involves the addition or deletion of channels, each channel added or deleted must be separately identified. For purposes of the carriage of digital broadcast signals, the operator need only identify for subscribers, the television signal added and not whether that signal may be multiplexed during certain dayparts.

(d) A cable operator shall provide written notice to a subscriber of any increase in the price to be charged for the basic service tier or associated equipment at least 30 days before any proposed increase is effective. The notice should include the name and address of the local franchising authority.

(e) To the extent the operator is required to provide notice of service and rate changes to subscribers, the operator may provide such notice using any reasonable written means at its sole discretion.
The unquoted paragraph (a) implies that it might be within the discretion of local franchising authorities to decide whether or not to enforce this, but you can see an FCC ruling imposing fines for violation of it here. Perhaps it's that franchising authorities are allowed to enforce it themselves, though the FCC will enforce it if they receive a complaint of violation.

I thought that it was one of the things that the FCC slammed TWC Oceanic for (or Cox NoVA): the use of SDV constituted a change in available services to CableCARD users without the required 30 days notice (or any notice, for that matter).

"
" -- hookbill
Old 06-24-2009, 04:42 AM   #2184
bicker
Gruff

Hmph! I did not know that. It surely seems inconsistently applied!

Thanks for the citation.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #2185
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Hmph! I did not know that. It surely seems inconsistently applied!

Thanks for the citation.
Unfortunately, the FCC doesn't go looking for violations (of most of their regs, at least)--someone's got to complain. Usually, that requires someone to get pissed off enough to find out that what's ticked them off is also a violation of FCC rules.

Around here, they've gotten very careful about giving 30 days or more notice about things like moving channels from one tier to another or changing them to switched video. Finding that notice can be tricky, since, other than they're hard-to-find pages online, it might be buried in the back of some free weekly entertainment rag or community newspaper all of which qualify as "reasonable written means".

"
" -- hookbill
Old 06-27-2009, 05:19 AM   #2186
bicker
Gruff

Arrow FCC Vacates SDV Rulings Against Time Warner Cable, Cox

Quote:
The Federal Communications Commission on Friday reversed orders by the agency's Enforcement Bureau that fined Time Warner Cable and Cox Communications for deploying switched digital video.

FCC commissioner Robert McDowell, in a statement, concurred that the migration of programming to a switched digital video platform does not violate FCC rules.

"Deployment of SDV technology to deliver video programming is consistent with the plain language of the regulations," McDowell said. "It also can serve the public interest by allowing cable operators to comply with the Commission's 'viewability' rules and deliver more programming options, including HD channels and niche programming, without displacing significant numbers of existing channels."
http://www.multichannel.com/article/..._Cable_Cox.php

Old 06-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #2187
lew

Quote:

This ruling leaves (the few) viewers using cable cards with cable card compatable TV sets out of luck. Unfortunate for those folks who paid a premium price in order to purchase a TV set with cable card capability.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #2188
bicker
Gruff

Yes, it sucks for those people.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #2189
lrhorer

It's not a perfect world. Those people either have to fork out for a leased STB / DVR, get an S3 class TiVo, get a Moxi, or do without. Some sweet talking might get them a discount on a leased unit. That, or what the heck, the wife unit might accept it as an excuse to buy a new OCAP TV.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #2190
ianfarrell

Quote:

I'm in North-East Ohio, Cuyahoga County. I do give props to TWC for handling the TA situation cleanly and easily - I got my adapters quickly and instructions to hook them up were clear. Unfortunately, no communication was given after I got the adapters, so I had no idea when I should actually start expecting new channels, etc. TWC NEOH scores an epic fail on communication.
You're not alone. I and many others here are in the same boat.
It seems TWC doesn't give a rats and to me it seems like TWC is deliberately crippling Tivo units by delivering inferior equipment and/or signal hoping that many users will replace with TWC's unit so they can screw more money out of Tivo customers, IMO.
ianfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote