If you don't get an answer here, you should ask here;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=16024146
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #2132
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateknight View Post
Also, will the Tuning Adapter allow watching of VOD through Comcast?
I don't know whether SDV is being used in your area, but I can tell you that the Tuning Adapter won't enable you to watch VOD channels.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #2133
andygriffith

Hi,

I am a Cox customer in the Phoenix metro area and got my adapter last night. It is up and functioning and I am dealing with the MRV impact.

My question is related to the firmware.

I know that the latest firmware for the Cisco adapter is 801 and I am on 701.

How do I get this upgraded? I searched this forum and if the answer is here, I couldn't find it. Does it happen automagically from my cable provider? How long does it usually take?

I called my cable provider and they "tried" to upgrade it, but I don't know if they really did anything.

I don't see anything on the Cisco website about these things either as I would be willing to try and update it myself.

Please advise and TIA!
andygriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #2134
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygriffith View Post
Hi,

I am a Cox customer in the Phoenix metro area and got my adapter last night. It is up and functioning and I am dealing with the MRV impact.

My question is related to the firmware.

I know that the latest firmware for the Cisco adapter is 801 and I am on 701.

How do I get this upgraded? I searched this forum and if the answer is here, I couldn't find it. Does it happen automagically from my cable provider? How long does it usually take?

I called my cable provider and they "tried" to upgrade it, but I don't know if they really did anything.

I don't see anything on the Cisco website about these things either as I would be willing to try and update it myself.

Please advise and TIA!

It will happen automagically when your cableco releases the new firmware.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #2135
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Well, TWC finally rolled out Tuning Adapters in San Diego . There are multiple reports of happy people picking them up at the end of this thread.

I've been beta testing one since mid-January (it took them almost exactly two months since to get it to a state in which they're willing to deploy it). I may trade it in, since, if it's on a cable split with TiVo, internal or external to the TA, TiVo can't tune channels in the stream at 525 MHz (the HD channels of the Fox and PBS affiliates and a VOD preview loop). No one else seems to have this problem, so it's probably a fault in mine.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 03-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #2136
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Well, TWC finally rolled out Tuning Adapters in San Diego . There are multiple reports of happy people picking them up at the end of this thread.

I've been beta testing one since mid-January (it took them almost exactly two months since to get it to a state in which they're willing to deploy it). I may trade it in, since, if it's on a cable split with TiVo, internal or external to the TA, TiVo can't tune channels in the stream at 525 MHz (the HD channels of the Fox and PBS affiliates and a VOD preview loop). No one else seems to have this problem, so it's probably a fault in mine.
Interesting... there is a guy here in Raleigh that is having the same problem but it may be on a different frequency. He cannot tune anything that is on that one QAM. Everything else is OK.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #2137
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Interesting... there is a guy here in Raleigh that is having the same problem but it may be on a different frequency. He cannot tune anything that is on that one QAM. Everything else is OK.
You know, I do recall seeing that in another thread. So I'm not the only one, anywhere .

"
" -- hookbill
Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #2138
m_jonis

Quote:
You know, I do recall seeing that in another thread. So I'm not the only one, anywhere .
Mine works in "reverse" sometimes.

Twice so far, I've only been able to watch the SDV channels and nothing else. The TivoHD will claim no signal at all from any non-SDV channel.

If I unplug the USB cable to the Cisco TA, then the non-SDV channels come in (obviously the SDV channels go out).

Plug the USB cable back in and about a minute later, the TivoHD says no signal on the non-SDV channels. This includes my HD Local Broacast channels as well.

Or, if I unplug power to the TA, the same thing happens (non-SDV channels are watchable).

The only fix I've been able to come up with so far is to reboot the TivoHD. then, and only then, unplug the power to the TA. Wait a minute, plug it back in and then wait the 5-10 minutes for the TA to stop blinking and then things are fine.

But twice in the last month this has happened is ridiculous.

TW is clueless and has no idea (they didn't even know what a Tuning Adapter was when they came for the service call. I had to explain it was THEIR own equipment).
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #2139
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
Mine works in "reverse" sometimes.

Twice so far, I've only been able to watch the SDV channels and nothing else. The TivoHD will claim no signal at all from any non-SDV channel.

If I unplug the USB cable to the Cisco TA, then the non-SDV channels come in (obviously the SDV channels go out).

Plug the USB cable back in and about a minute later, the TivoHD says no signal on the non-SDV channels. This includes my HD Local Broacast channels as well.

Or, if I unplug power to the TA, the same thing happens (non-SDV channels are watchable).

The only fix I've been able to come up with so far is to reboot the TivoHD. then, and only then, unplug the power to the TA. Wait a minute, plug it back in and then wait the 5-10 minutes for the TA to stop blinking and then things are fine.

But twice in the last month this has happened is ridiculous.

TW is clueless and has no idea (they didn't even know what a Tuning Adapter was when they came for the service call. I had to explain it was THEIR own equipment).
Hmm. I had that problem when I first got mine in mid-January. It worked for about a day and a half, then went into that state and no amount of cold-booting my Series3 or TA would fix it. I used to surf the SDV channels and to watch Battlestar Galactica live on Sci Fi HD, but in general I had to be careful to unplug it before primetime so that my Season Passes would record. (I couldn't even record the last 12 SDV channels added manually, because they weren't in TiVo's guide and there was a bug in the TiVo rev 11 firmware--fixed in 11b--which prevented manual recordings of channels with no guide data. It took me five calls to TiVo support over a 6 week period to get them to add all 12 channels; they'd add a few after every call ).

I never did find a fix for the "can only tune switched channels with TA attached" problem--when they updated the TA to new firmware in mid-February, it went away and I haven't seen it again. What version of the firmware do you have? (To find out, go to TiVo Central->Messages & Settings->Account & System Information->Tuning Adapter->Tuning Adapter Diagnostics->Versions and MACs; I'm interested in the value after FLASH. Mine reads "STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.0801").

"
" -- hookbill
Old 03-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #2140
m_jonis

The firmware says:

1.0.0_1520_LR_F.0701
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #2141
mercurial
Retro-Av

Well, just ordered my 3 TA's. No idea when they'll arrive but at least they're self install unlike the cable cards...
Old 03-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #2142
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
The firmware says:

1.0.0_1520_LR_F.0701
Yeah. I never looked, but I assume that was the version I had before the upgrade to .0801. If so, sounds like it's working better for you than it did for me . You can take some solace in the fact that what you're seeing should be fixed in the next update your provider pushes.

There are a number of complaints about that version in the "Time Warner Cable Tuning Adapter (ALL LOCATIONS) / Bugs & Issues" thread.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 03-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #2143
joekun

I just picked up a Tivo HD yesterday but reading about SDV makes me think that we're likely to see a new Tivo that will support this technology internally and that it would be better for me to wait. Has there been any word about such a model in the works or a reason why there wouldn't be? I would rather not have an additional box to get service from a cable provider.
joekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #2144
bicker
Gruff

Nothing concrete, AFAIC.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #2145
classicsat
Astute User

Right now, if there is anything, it is "in development". For the purposes of shopping for equipment today, I'd not consider that to wait for it, just get what is available today.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #2146
landrumdh
Trapped Far Far Away

Just got my SDV adapter in NC today. I'm noticing occasional hiccups in the SDV programming with 80+ quality according to TiVo, the non-SDV channels aren't having the issue and look great at 40-50.

I was very surprised by the size of this thing!
landrumdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #2147
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrumdh View Post
Just got my SDV adapter in NC today. I'm noticing occasional hiccups in the SDV programming with 80+ quality according to TiVo, the non-SDV channels aren't having the issue and look great at 40-50.

I was very surprised by the size of this thing!
When'd you order yours? I put my order in earlier in the week.

On a side note, I wonder if there is an option with TWC to just get the basic cable, HD locals, and HD tier and skip the other digital tier?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #2148
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
On a side note, I wonder if there is an option with TWC to just get the basic cable, HD locals, and HD tier and skip the other digital tier?
In San Diego, you can order basic cable and it will get you the HD locals (FCC regs forbid them to encrypt them). For that, you don't even need CableCARDs, though you need them with TiVo to use the guide to tune the digital channels. To get any of the other HD channels, you have to additionally subscribe to expanded basic. I assume that they'll lease you CableCARDs so that you can decrypt the HD versions of expanded basic channels without requiring you to subscribe to any HD tiers.

If we subscribe to a tier containing the standard-def channel, we get access to the HD channel. We get the six local HD channels with basic and 28 other HD channels with expanded basic. The only HD channels for which we have to subscribe to a digital tier are:
  • Bio HD, NatGeo HD, Big 10 HD (Digital Choice Pack)
  • Science HD, Hallmark Movies HD, MLB HD (Digital Variety Pack)
  • HDNet, HDNet Movies, UHD and MGM HD (HD VIP Pack)
  • SPEED HD (Digital Sports Pack)
  • HBO HD, Cinemax HD, Starz HD, Showtime HD West and East, TMC HD East (various premium tiers)
So, the cheapest deal for getting a bunch of HD channels (6 locals, 25 others) is "Advantage Cable" (local+expanded basic) for $55.65/month + CableCARD lease fees ($1.75/month each).

"
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 03-30-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #2149
GiveMeHDNow

I just got back from the Cox store here in Phoenix, AZ and I was given the Cisco STA1520. I don't have a Cable Card though. Is this needed in order to use the tuning adapter? I told the gut that I needed a cable card and tuning adapter. I thought it was all in the same box.
GiveMeHDNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #2150
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeHDNow View Post
I just got back from the Cox store here in Phoenix, AZ and I was given the Cisco STA1520. I don't have a Cable Card though. Is this needed in order to use the tuning adapter? I told the gut that I needed a cable card and tuning adapter. I thought it was all in the same box.
The TA will handle the channel mapping capabilities but you still need CableCard to decrypt encrypted digital channels (which generally are most of them except local broadcast channels).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #2151
ianfarrell

What's with the TWC bitchfest at TiVo?

So what is it with TWC and their bitch fest at TiVo?

Here's my TA adapter story.
I get my Cisco device via UPS last week from the local Morrisville, NC office.
I wait until the wife goes to bed on Thursday so I don't interfere with her evening.
Plug the device in per instructions and things seem to be OK.
But, the next morning I'm finding TiVo complains about nearly all the SDV channels, Press SELECT, video appears for a few seconds then Press SELECT, etc.
Rebooted both devices, OK for a while then bam, same crap again.
Unplug, reboot, the usual song and dance routine as when the Cable Cards first came out.
So I call TWC and they had a Tech in the area and sent him over to investigate.
Two hours later he still hadn't figured it out and moaned I would have had less problems with one of their boxes. Funny thing is he tried his SA brand box and it froze up on a Software Update (LOL).
He said it must be the TA and that a "TiVo Expert" from the Cary location would call me later and set up to bring over a replacement after I heard the two of them bitching about TiVo and how they wish they'd just go under (WTF?)
Ha! No call.
So last night I called up CS and reamed them a new one about how lousy their support was and that I just wanted it to work.
So they said I could have somebody here today.
Well they sent two guys, a Regional Supervisor and Senior Tech (now we're talking).
They had a brand new TA box that had come in from Cisco yesterday (I looked at the box and it had been sent overnight, Holy S%^t).
They powered up the box and it took twenty minutes to do what I can only guess was a bunch of updates (sorry I'll have to report back version numbers).
The Senior Tech said he cringes when he hears the name TiVo on a Service Call and said he knows he is going to be there for a long time in those cases.
I told him I couldn't be happier and had nothing but issues with their SA box.
He made the usual "never heard that before" excuse and left.
So now it's working but am not happy as several of the channel SciFi HD in particular is getting pretty bad Macroblocking and audio break up. It comes and goes, staying OK for a few minutes then breaking up again every few seconds.
I have read that others are also seeing the same problems with SDV channels.
Is this something we are going to have to live with or just still complain?
ianfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #2152
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfarrell View Post
So what is it with TWC and their bitch fest at TiVo?

Here's my TA adapter story.
I get my Cisco device via UPS last week from the local Morrisville, NC office.
I wait until the wife goes to bed on Thursday so I don't interfere with her evening.
Plug the device in per instructions and things seem to be OK.
But, the next morning I'm finding TiVo complains about nearly all the SDV channels, Press SELECT, video appears for a few seconds then Press SELECT, etc.
Rebooted both devices, OK for a while then bam, same crap again.
Unplug, reboot, the usual song and dance routine as when the Cable Cards first came out.
So I call TWC and they had a Tech in the area and sent him over to investigate.
Two hours later he still hadn't figured it out and moaned I would have had less problems with one of their boxes. Funny thing is he tried his SA brand box and it froze up on a Software Update (LOL).
He said it must be the TA and that a "TiVo Expert" from the Cary location would call me later and set up to bring over a replacement after I heard the two of them bitching about TiVo and how they wish they'd just go under (WTF?)
Ha! No call.
So last night I called up CS and reamed them a new one about how lousy their support was and that I just wanted it to work.
So they said I could have somebody here today.
Well they sent two guys, a Regional Supervisor and Senior Tech (now we're talking).
They had a brand new TA box that had come in from Cisco yesterday (I looked at the box and it had been sent overnight, Holy S%^t).
They powered up the box and it took twenty minutes to do what I can only guess was a bunch of updates (sorry I'll have to report back version numbers).
The Senior Tech said he cringes when he hears the name TiVo on a Service Call and said he knows he is going to be there for a long time in those cases.
I told him I couldn't be happier and had nothing but issues with their SA box.
He made the usual "never heard that before" excuse and left.
So now it's working but am not happy as several of the channel SciFi HD in particular is getting pretty bad Macroblocking and audio break up. It comes and goes, staying OK for a few minutes then breaking up again every few seconds.
I have read that others are also seeing the same problems with SDV channels.
Is this something we are going to have to live with or just still complain?
Macroblocking and breakup have nothing to do with TA. All the tuning and decryption are done in the TiVo. The RF cable between TA and TiVo could be suspect. What does DVR Diags say relative to signal strength, SNR and RS Corrected and Uncorrected on the channel with issues.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #2153
ianfarrell

Quote:
Macroblocking and breakup have nothing to do with TA. All the tuning and decryption are done in the TiVo. The RF cable between TA and TiVo could be suspect. What does DVR Diags say relative to signal strength, SNR and RS Corrected and Uncorrected on the channel with issues.
On the road at the mo but will check when I get home.
I only asked the question as I read others here were in the same situation with SDV.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #2154
ianfarrell

Quote:
So I got home and thanks to the info you had me look at and think I have a "Hot" Signal.
Here's how things stood when I first looked.
Bear in mind the first two channels have been on at least since 6am this morning.
Order of numbers are Signal Strength, SNR, RS Corrected, RS Uncorrected.

Ch67 (TCM) = 95, 35, 497, 358
Ch255 (WRALHD) = 95, 35, 0, 0

I changed to the SDV channels and waited 15 minutes.

Ch267 (SciFiHD) = 100, 36, 0, 0
Ch245 (FxHD) = 100, 36, 0, 0

Then put in a Splitter (haven't got an attenuator just yet) between the TA and TiVo on the -8dB output and waited 20 minutes.

Ch258 (USAHD) = 100 (flickers to 95 every 10-15 secs), 36, 0, 0
Ch267 (SciFiHD) = 100 (flickers to 95 every 10-15 secs), 36, 0, 0

I have left it on the above channels and will check again in a few hours but it looks like an attenuator is needed.
However, lower channels have a SS of 90. How low can you go before problems?
I would think it'd be nice to get the channels stuck almost always at 100 into the 90's. At least I would know the TiVo isn't being signal swamped.

[EDIT] I still notice the break up on at least 258 (USAHD) and 267 (SciFiHD) and the RS Corrected on both channels has not incremented. I'm at a loss.
Do I need to reduce the signal further?
Do I have a Hard Drive failing? Doubt it as it doesn't happen on non SDV channels.
I noticed the break up happen at the same time on both SDV channels.
If I switched one cable card to a non SDV Channel the break up doesn't happen on that channel while continuing to intermittently break up on the SDV Channel.
I'm wondering if it's happening at the source but haven't read of SciFiHD break up reports on this Forum?

Last edited by ianfarrell : 04-02-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #2155
lrhorer

Quote:
So I got home and thanks to the info you had me look at and think I have a "Hot" Signal.
Yeah, it looks that way. Any time the signal level reported by the TiVo hits 100, it means you are at the end of the AGC range. Slightly above this point, you will start to see significant numbers of errors. The system will of course correct them if it can. Note levels higher than design parameters can also cause errors in the CATV plant, not just the TiVo itself.

Quote:
Then put in a Splitter (haven't got an attenuator just yet) between the TA and TiVo on the -8dB output and waited 20 minutes.
Be sure to terminate any unused ports with a proper 75 ohm terminator.

Quote:
Ch258 (USAHD) = 100 (flickers to 95 every 10-15 secs), 36, 0, 0
Ch267 (SciFiHD) = 100 (flickers to 95 every 10-15 secs), 36, 0, 0
'Looks like you are still at the end of the range. As long as all the channels report signal strengths above 40, I would consider padding a bit more. BE sure to check a large sample of channels. Remember that up to 11 SD channels may be on a single QAM, so if all 11 channels you check are on the same QAM, then you've really only checked one channel.

Quote:
I have left it on the above channels and will check again in a few hours but it looks like an attenuator is needed.
However, lower channels have a SS of 90. How low can you go before problems?
A lot lower. Probably at least 15 dB, depending on how low the lowest channel is compared to the highest.

Quote:
I would think it'd be nice to get the channels stuck almost always at 100 into the 90's. At least I would know the TiVo isn't being signal swamped.
Well, this is only possible if all the channels are at about the same level on your incoming feed. This is not typically the case. More often than not, there will be a "tilt" on the system, meaning the signal level generally increases or decreases with increasing frequency. As long as the tilt is not too large, this is normal, and requires no remedy. It will, however, cause the reported signal strength to be lower or higher as the case may be. If the tilt is too great or there is a large "peak" or "valley" in the spectrum, then corrective action may be necessary. Note however that should this be the case, then unless you have an unusual situation in your house (an unusually long distance from the tap with long wall drops or an unusually short distance from the tap with very short wall drops), then it is the CATV company's responsibility to address the issue.

Quote:
[EDIT] I still notice the break up on at least 258 (USAHD) and 267 (SciFiHD) and the RS Corrected on both channels has not incremented. I'm at a loss.
What about uncorrected errors? That's what can cause problems. If not, then your provider may be having some sort of problems with their receivers.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #2156
cavalier

Just want to note that Bright House - Central Florida (probably Tampa too?) have quietly re-enabled SDV. You'll find you are missing channels 275-300 (Encore/Starz/IFC/Flix). You have to be subscribed to the a la carte Encore Package ($4.99) to see these channels anyhoo, I guess this is there idea of a soft rollout.

Dispatch, customer service, and first level techs don't know anything about it. Had a service call because I suspected some authorization issue at head end with cablecard, guy came out, no idea, called higher level guy out, he took one look and said SDV.

Tuning Adapters are Cisco STA1520's. These need to be activated ("hit") or registered with bright house to function. In Central FL Bright House will charge you $3.80 a month per adapter, on top of $2.95 for cable card.

Works good so far.
cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #2157
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
Tuning Adapters are Cisco STA1520's. These need to be activated ("hit") or registered with bright house to function. In Central FL Bright House will charge you $3.80 a month per adapter, on top of $2.95 for cable card.
Wow--that's the first report of a provider charging for a Tuning Adapter that I've seen (pretty high CableCARD lease charge too).

"
" -- hookbill
Old 04-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #2158
ianfarrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
What about uncorrected errors? That's what can cause problems. If not, then your provider may be having some sort of problems with their receivers.
No uncorrected errors at that time.
I did however see a few hundred Corrected and UnCorrected this morning on Ch258 but not on 267.
This is probably because of the still high signal.
I'm going to order some attenuators as I can't source 75ohm terminators locally and the splitters look a bit messy but it was only to try and see how much reduction was needed.
It looks like the tilt is biased towards the high frequencies but I'm only seeing about a level difference on the TiVo of 10 on the extremities.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #2159
lrhorer

Quote:
No uncorrected errors at that time.
I did however see a few hundred Corrected and UnCorrected this morning on Ch258 but not on 267.
This is probably because of the still high signal.
I'm going to order some attenuators as I can't source 75ohm terminators locally and the splitters look a bit messy but it was only to try and see how much reduction was needed.
It looks like the tilt is biased towards the high frequencies but I'm only seeing about a level difference on the TiVo of 10 on the extremities.
'Without being on the scene myself, it sounds pretty good to me. Installing a 10dB attenuator almost surely won't hurt. Note as the year turns to summer and the temps outside rise, the attenuation in the CATV plant is going to increase, especially at the higher frequencies, tending to lower the signals. This will be less noticeable if the CATV plant is underground. The amplifiers in the CATV plant have thermal compensation built-in, but unless your house is very close to one of the amps, then invariably the signal will tend to drop, perhaps as much as 3 or 4 dB, as the summer progresses. Again, without being on the scene myself, it sounds as if your levels are plenty high to allow for the variance, and flat enough so there won't be an issue with the low end being too low in summer and the high end being too high in winter.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #2160
lrhorer

Quote:
Wow--that's the first report of a provider charging for a Tuning Adapter that I've seen (pretty high CableCARD lease charge too).
I agree entirely. I pay $2.95 per CableCard, but the TA is free. I would complain to the franchise authority, if I were he. The CATV companies need to be able to deploy SDV, so I heartily opposed the attempt by many members of this forum to derail that effort, but I'm on quite the opposite side of the fence on this aspect of the issue. The CATV companies want to implement SDV in order to increase their profit margin and compete with satellite services. That's all well and good. It's not fair to load the non-TiVo owners with the cost of the TA, since they derive no benefits from it, however, so IMO a different solution is in order. I believe that for both CableCards and TAs, the CATV company should be allowed to load the bill of the customer for a limited time, until some of the costs of delivering the units is deferred, after which time the CATV company should be required to drop the fee for the units. I think $5 a month for a CableCard / TA pair limited to 24 months would be fair.