TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #2101
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerenser View Post
This was one of the most irritating things with the SA 8300.
Yeah, except for all the other intensely irritating things.

Quote:
This would happen to my fiance and I several times a week. We'd start a show late at night and end up getting too sleepy to continue. Unfortunately, the dumb SA box wouldn't remember where we left off when morning came!
Even worse than that (at least with the software version I had), if one started to watch a program before it had completely finished recording, when the live broadcast ended, the user would be unceremoniously and without warning dumped out of the recording, whereupon the POS would, as you say, not remember where one was before being booted. 'Aggravating as Hell.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #2102
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajergo View Post
BUT, the downsides of giving up my SA 8300 once I get the TiVo HD are:
- No more Caller ID on the TV for my Digital Phone calls.
Actually, this is available if you hack the TiVo or have someone do it for you. Personally, I would pay to have this feature disabled if the TiVo came with it.

Quote:
- No more "Start Over" feature on some shows; although I can usually find another time to record the same show at a later time.
I never watch live TV - ever - so for me this is a completely moot point.

Quote:
- No more free On Demand movies or channels.
I never bothered with this when I had the feature. Truly, a TiVo makes these features moot for the most part.

Quote:
Will have to keep a plain HD cable box for above features.
There's nothing wrong with that, if it's what you want to do. Personally, I could not get rid of that piece of offal fast enough. If it had been mine, rather than a rental, I would have taken a sledge hammer to it.

Quote:
2) I have one annoying problem with my SA 8300 now that I am hoping is the SA 8300 and not the cable signal. The picture on HD channels sometimes pauses for about 2 or 3 seconds, but the sound continues; after 2 or 3 seconds the picture catches up.
It's been a couple of years, and the 8300 had so many problems it's hard to remember specific ones, but I seem to recall something of the sort. My TiVos have never done this.

Quote:
3) Can you give me the approximate dimensions of the huge Cisco Tuning Adapter box?
I wouldn't call it huge. It's less than a standard 1RU 19" rackmount device. 'Much smaller than the TiVo. Mike already gave the dimensions.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:53 AM   #2103
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
You understate the case. I'd rather have a tooth drilled with a dull bit and no anesthesia than go back to the 8300HD.
I think everyone who bitches about the Motorola DVRs should spend a few days with the SA 8300HD/HDC... that'll cure them of their hatred for Motorola.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #2104
mgerenser
New TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
I think everyone who bitches about the Motorola DVRs should spend a few days with the SA 8300HD/HDC... that'll cure them of their hatred for Motorola.
Hahaha! So true. I went from a ReplayTV in the early part of the decade to the SA 8300HD. What a downgrade! The only reason I switched was to get HD programming. Its ironic that the ReplayTV interface, which was developed more than 10 years ago, is still more advanced than Time Warner's interface. It's like comparing Mac OS X to MS DOS! I'm so glad to join the TiVo family. There's almost no learning curve, and it just works the way I would expect.

By the way, you should have seen the look on the cable tech's face when he first arrived on the scene to install the CableCards. He couldn't understand why I was giving up the SA 8300. He asked whether I wanted to return it to TWC myself or have him take it when he left. I told him he better take that piece of junk with him, because otherwise I'd be too tempted to go all "Office Space" on that box. Good riddance.

Last edited by mgerenser : 02-05-2009 at 08:24 AM.
mgerenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #2105
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I don't think that there's anything particularly wrong with the Cisco/SA boxes--it's some of the IPGs which suck. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool TiVo user who gave up his "Series1" box because I needed to timeshift HD and used an SA8000HD for two years, quite happily most of the time. It was running Passport Echo. I moved to from TWC territory into a Cox system and was tearing my hair out after using SARA on an SA8300HD for a few weeks.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #2106
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
For once we agree completely.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #2107
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
I don't think that there's anything particularly wrong with the Cisco/SA boxes--it's some of the IPGs which suck. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool TiVo user who gave up his "Series1" box because I needed to timeshift HD and used an SA8000HD for two years, quite happily most of the time. It was running Passport Echo. I moved to from TWC territory into a Cox system and was tearing my hair out after using SARA on an SA8300HD for a few weeks.
True, the hardware is not horrendous. Actually, I wish the TiVo had a Firewire port, like the 8300 does. It's the SARA software that's worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. Since one does not have the option to select which software is loaded on the box, the point is rather moot, however.

I still find the hardware unacceptable, though. A DVR I cannot hack isn't worth my time, and the hard drive on the 8300HD is far, far too small. Of course, one can add an external drive to the 8300, but at the time I used one this feature was not available. The lack of networking capabilities is also a deal-breaker for me, although they may have incorporated networking capabilities into the product line since I used one over 2 years ago.

At the time, at least, there were also (unsurprisingly) no 3rd party applications available for the 8300. I doubt this has changed much.

When I got the 8300, I had intended it as an interim replacement for my S1, moving the S1 from the living room to the guest room, but after using it less than a week, I moved the S1 back into the living room and only used the 8300 when I had to for HD purposes. Even then, I still recorded the same programs on the S1, because there was a very good chance the 8300 would not record what it was told to record.

Last edited by lrhorer : 02-07-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #2108
lrhorer

Quote:
Hahaha! So true. I went from a ReplayTV in the early part of the decade to the SA 8300HD. What a downgrade! The only reason I switched was to get HD programming. Its ironic that the ReplayTV interface, which was developed more than 10 years ago, is still more advanced than Time Warner's interface.
It's not only more advanced, it's just plain better. Faster, smoother, more accurate, and almost in every case easier to control. Even the most basic features just work better.

Quote:
It's like comparing Mac OS X to MS DOS! I'm so glad to join the TiVo family. There's almost no learning curve, and it just works the way I would expect.
'Welcome to our home.

Quote:
By the way, you should have seen the look on the cable tech's face when he first arrived on the scene to install the CableCards. He couldn't understand why I was giving up the SA 8300.
Yeah, I've gotten that a few times over the years. I always make it a point to give them a friendly little demonstration. Often they bring up "neat" little features of the 8300 they think the TiVo does not offer. I just politely show them how the corresponding feature (or often multiple features) in the TiVo completely blow the doors off the 8300HD. They always walk away with wide eyes and slack jaws. About half way through my little demo, one of them started saying over and over again, "I gotta get me one of those!"

Quote:
He asked whether I wanted to return it to TWC myself or have him take it when he left. I told him he better take that piece of junk with him, because otherwise I'd be too tempted to go all "Office Space" on that box. Good riddance.
I was tempted, myself. I would never act on the impulse to damage something not belonging to me, however. That, plus the installer who took away the 8300 was an extremely pleasant young man, so I wasn't disposed to any ill behavior in his presence.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #2109
kerouac555

Ok, I just called to get a tech out (time warner in kansas city) to install a card in my new hd tivo. I asked about SDV and they said "yes, you need a tuning adapter."

no problem.

I tried to verify that they'd be bringing a multistream cablecard out. the response was "you don't need a multistream card with a tuning adapter."

is that a true statement or do I need to call back?

thanks!!
kerouac555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #2110
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac555 View Post
Ok, I just called to get a tech out (time warner in kansas city) to install a card in my new hd tivo. I asked about SDV and they said "yes, you need a tuning adapter."

no problem.

I tried to verify that they'd be bringing a multistream cablecard out. the response was "you don't need a multistream card with a tuning adapter."

is that a true statement or do I need to call back?

thanks!!
You need the Tuning Adapter to be able to tune SDV channels and you still need cable card to decrypt any encrypted digital channels (regardless if they are SDV or not).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #2111
kerouac555

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You need the Tuning Adapter to be able to tune SDV channels and you still need cable card to decrypt any encrypted digital channels (regardless if they are SDV or not).

Exactly.. but i was being told (by the TW rep) that it doesn't have to be a multistream, which totally doesn't sound right to me.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #2112
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac555 View Post
Exactly.. but i was being told (by the TW rep) that it doesn't have to be a multistream, which totally doesn't sound right to me.
if it was not multisteam only one tuner would work.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #2113
MichaelK

I vote the rep read the script and your question as "you dont need an M-card for the tuning adapter to work"- it will work fine with a single s-card (and you will only get one tuner) or with 2 s-cards (and you will get both tuners)
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #2114
kerouac555

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
I vote the rep read the script and your question as "you dont need an M-card for the tuning adapter to work"- it will work fine with a single s-card (and you will only get one tuner) or with 2 s-cards (and you will get both tuners)
that's what i needed to know.

thanks so much.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #2115
sesmith3

Cox Phoenix, S Cards, M Cards and SDV

S3 User w s cards. Need to know when if ever the tuning boxes are going to arrive? Will m cards help me? I am confused and have a new tv I want to watch in HD...
sesmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #2116
classicsat
Astute User

One M-card will not get you anything more than two S-cards do, except saving a few dollars on your cable bill. You likely should be able to get local HD channels in HD from cable, if not from an antenna.

It is up to the provider to have Tuning Adapters available. The TiVo is fully ready for using the Tuning adapter.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #2117
rumleyus
B-rad

I just got off the phone with Time Warner (Cincinnati) and they tol me to go pick up my "free" tuning adapters for my TiVo HD cable cards. They said that the East Gate Mall and Dayton Mall locations were the only ones in the area that would be stocking the adapters. I could also chose to have the adapters mailed to me. I'm going to try to go get it today and see if it works.
rumleyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #2118
dickweis

Question SDV adapters with no USB port?

I just got a letter from Comcast San Francisco saying that I will need an SDV adapter by March or I will loose most digital channels. I picked up the recommended adapter at my local office and it has no USB port. When I protested I was told that my Series 3 does not need one and that my (two-year old twin single-stream) cable cards will do the job. This seems highly unlikely to me. The Tivo website (www.tivo.com/switched) states that USB is the only solution for the Series 3 since it lacks an IR blaster.

Can anyone suggest what I should do next?
dickweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #2119
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickweis View Post
I just got a letter from Comcast San Francisco saying that I will need an SDV adapter by March or I will loose most digital channels. I picked up the recommended adapter at my local office and it has no USB port. When I protested I was told that my Series 3 does not need one and that my (two-year old twin single-stream) cable cards will do the job. This seems highly unlikely to me. The Tivo website (www.tivo.com/switched) states that USB is the only solution for the Series 3 since it lacks an IR blaster.

Can anyone suggest what I should do next?
Id take whatever they gave you back and get a Tuning Adapter

A Tuning Adapter connects to the TiVo via USB.... No ifs, ands, or buts.

The Cisco Tuning Adapter has a USB connector on it... In fact it has two... one on the front and one on the back. You only care about the one on the back though.

Does what they gave you have a Cisco Logo and a model number STA1520? or perhaps are you on a Motorola system...

Here is a pic of the back of the Moto adapter

http://www.engadgethd.com/photos/han...dapter/812521/

Here is info on the Cisco adapter

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...28/7013834.pdf

Last edited by SCSIRAID : 02-14-2009 at 03:22 PM.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #2120
dickweis

Quote:
A Tuning Adapter connects to the TiVo via USB.... No ifs, ands, or buts.
Agreed! My problem is that my local Comcast office AND the online help support person both said this is the only one they have. It was very small and not branded so I don't know who made it.

If I could get a Comcast SDV box with USB (e.g., from NJ), do you think it would work with Comcast in SF?
Old 02-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #2121
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Agreed! My problem is that my local Comcast office AND the online help support person both said this is the only one they have. It was very small and not branded so I don't know who made it.

If I could get a Comcast SDV box with USB (e.g., from NJ), do you think it would work with Comcast in SF?
It would have to be authorized in your local system... I would escalate locally as what they gave you isnt a tuning adapter... Their technical team should be able to get you what you need but you will have to get thru the CSR folks to get to the intelligent life.

What brand cablecards does your system use? Motorola? Cisco/Scientific Atlanta? NDS?

A Motorola sysem needs a motorola tuning adapter. A Cisco/Scientific Atlanta or NDS system uses a Cisco tuning adapter. I dont believe anybody other than Moto and SA/Cisco make tuning adapters.

What they may be giving you is a converter that is used when your system removes all the analog channels and goes all digital.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #2122
SCSIRAID

Quote:

Check this thread....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=417990

What they gave you is probably a DTA which handles the fact that your system has gone all digital....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...en-us%26sa%3DN
Old 02-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #2123
dickweis

Quote:
What they may be giving you is a converter that is used when your system removes all the analog channels and goes all digital
I just got off the phone with tech support and apparently the letter I received had to do with replacing analog stations with digital, not the SDV transition. He said if that were occuring, he would have been trained on it and he has not been. He does not know when this will occur in the Bay Area.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #2124
muya

So here's a little update for those of us in San Diego, CA.

I twittered how much TWC is pissing me off about the whole SDV and Tivo thing. I get a DM from a TWC customer service rep. He said he's on it, he's forwarding my message to his "crème de la crem of customer service reps". I think, yeah, whatever. Heard it all before. 15 minutes later I get a call from this rep in New York, explain the whole SDV and Tivo thing. He says he'll put a call into the San Diego office, and they'll be in touch. Again, I think to myself, yeah, whatever. To my surprise, I get a call an hour later from a TWC "Customer Retention Specialist" from the San Diego office. She tells me they have the adapter in the field and are testing it, to be patient, maybe 1 or 2 months.

This is farther than I have ever gotten with any customer service. All from twittering how unhappy I was about Time Warner Cable.
muya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #2125
Dmon4u
Unresponsive User

Another one bites...

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...ched_Video.php

"Ohio's Buckeye CableSystem has selected the BigBand Networks switched digital video solution to expand high-definition services."
I deeply appreciate all well-wishers.
Dmon4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #2126
dhalesky

I've been though a complete nightmare with my experience in the Northern Virginia are with COX and my Tivo HD. I first picked up a Cisco STA1520 TA box from COX in early Dec 2008 and when connected it would immediately reboot itself about every 20 to 30 minutes, of course stopping anything your trying to record or watching which migth be switched video channels. I called COX and on one understood the technology at all, couldn't help me, finally a regional service manager emailed me to wait until Jan 09 for a Tivo software update. I did that, not using the TA adapter, and when no update happened from Tivo call Tivo customer support and they knew nothing about an update.

This is a really long story but COX sent out a senior tech how know almost everything the did about the TA, Tivo and their cabling system. He almost rewired my complete location, all new filters and replace my single stream cablecards with a multistream card, and a new Cisco TA box. That seemed to stop the TA rebooting, but after he left it rebooted about every 3 to 4 hours. COX asked me to get Tivo to swap out my TIVO HD for a new unit. I spent a week asking Tivo to do that, got tired of them asking me to wait for level 2 TIVO support to contact me, they never did so last week I bought a new TIVO HD to make sure this isse was or was not TIVO. After many connections into TIVO to bring my unit up to software release 11 my TA box actually ran 7 hours without a reboot, then started acting up once again. COX sent out an engineer who swapped the multistream cablecard and that seemed to settle the box down again, but once again today the TA box (3rd box I've had) is rebooting every hour or so.

I'm loosing any faith this technology between TIVO, CISCO and COX is anywhere near stability!!
dhalesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #2127
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalesky View Post
I've been though a complete nightmare with my experience in the Northern Virginia are with COX and my Tivo HD. I first picked up a Cisco STA1520 TA box from COX in early Dec 2008 and when connected it would immediately reboot itself about every 20 to 30 minutes, of course stopping anything your trying to record or watching which migth be switched video channels. I called COX and on one understood the technology at all, couldn't help me, finally a regional service manager emailed me to wait until Jan 09 for a Tivo software update. I did that, not using the TA adapter, and when no update happened from Tivo call Tivo customer support and they knew nothing about an update.

This is a really long story but COX sent out a senior tech how know almost everything the did about the TA, Tivo and their cabling system. He almost rewired my complete location, all new filters and replace my single stream cablecards with a multistream card, and a new Cisco TA box. That seemed to stop the TA rebooting, but after he left it rebooted about every 3 to 4 hours. COX asked me to get Tivo to swap out my TIVO HD for a new unit. I spent a week asking Tivo to do that, got tired of them asking me to wait for level 2 TIVO support to contact me, they never did so last week I bought a new TIVO HD to make sure this isse was or was not TIVO. After many connections into TIVO to bring my unit up to software release 11 my TA box actually ran 7 hours without a reboot, then started acting up once again. COX sent out an engineer who swapped the multistream cablecard and that seemed to settle the box down again, but once again today the TA box (3rd box I've had) is rebooting every hour or so.

I'm loosing any faith this technology between TIVO, CISCO and COX is anywhere near stability!!
There is a known rebooting issue with TA's. Cisco has reproduced and are working on it. Ive never seen it to the magnitude as you describe though. Mine reboot every 48 hours regular as clockwork.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #2128
lrhorer

Hmm. I have three, and none have ever rebooted. Everyone in San Antonio had a glitch a few weeks ago where we lost all our SDV channels and had to reboot the TiVos and the TAs, but it was only one incident, and it impacted everyone with a TA. Other than that, my TAs have all been rock solid since I picked them up on January 12th.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #2129
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Hmm. I have three, and none have ever rebooted. Everyone in San Antonio had a glitch a few weeks ago where we lost all our SDV channels and had to reboot the TiVos and the TAs, but it was only one incident, and it impacted everyone with a TA. Other than that, my TAs have all been rock solid since I picked them up on January 12th.
Hmmm... Perhaps is is code level specific. Other than the periodic reboot... mine are also solid and trouble free. The reboot hasnt been a big deal for me. Its happening around noon when nothing is recording. Ive only lost recordings once when it rebooted around 1am. For some reason it moved its schedule from 1am to noon... The time move happened right after I got the second TA so perhaps new provisioning from the billing system may be involved. Who knows... Im confident they will fix it. The TW guy is keeping me in the loop.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #2130
lateknight

Can anyone confirm or deny whether Comcast is utilizing SDV in the SF Bay Area...specifically in Oakland? I can't seem to get an answer from the online customer service rep. Also, will the Tuning Adapter allow watching of VOD through Comcast? I couldn't seem to find the answer after a quick search. Thanks!
lateknight is offline   Reply With Quote