TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #2041
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

You can also act dumb when they show you the signed receipt and and put a $200 charge on your bill for non-returned equipment .

It's not likely to work in any case, since the TA has to be authorized to work at the CO, just like a leased STB or a CableCARD. If I were designing the process, an account would have to have activated CableCARDs in order to have a TA activated and I'd automatically de-authorize the TA when the CableCARDs are returned.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #2042
AKThunder

Will I need a tuning adapter if I have a cable box seperate from my HD Tivo? I am not using a CABLECard.
AKThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #2043
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriever View Post
Will I need a tuning adapter if I have a cable box seperate from my HD Tivo? I am not using a CABLECard.
Why are not using a cablecard? You will only need the adapter if the channels you want are sdv'ed
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #2044
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
If your TiVo HD is not using CableCARDs it can only receive analog cable channels (plus OTA analog and digital channels, of course; and technically you can tune to digital unencrypted channels, though you'll have no way to make them correspond to guide data and thus recording won't be particularly useful or easy with them.) The TiVo HD cannot control a cable box, so any cable box is completely unrelated to the function of a TiVo HD receiver.

If you want your TiVo HD to tune the digital channels offered by your cable company, you need CableCARD(s). If your cable system uses SDV on channels that you subscribe to, you need a tuning adapter as well to be able to receive those channels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #2045
StringFellow

Any updated list of SDV enabled markets? I have missing channels which started on 12/8.
StringFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #2046
AKThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
If your TiVo HD is not using CableCARDs it can only receive analog cable channels (plus OTA analog and digital channels, of course; and technically you can tune to digital unencrypted channels, though you'll have no way to make them correspond to guide data and thus recording won't be particularly useful or easy with them.) The TiVo HD cannot control a cable box, so any cable box is completely unrelated to the function of a TiVo HD receiver.

If you want your TiVo HD to tune the digital channels offered by your cable company, you need CableCARD(s). If your cable system uses SDV on channels that you subscribe to, you need a tuning adapter as well to be able to receive those channels.
Yea I know that. The reason is I had the cable box before I got the Tivo HD. And the way it is, I like it because the box I can watch while tivo records two other shows. IDK I am kinda weird like that. lol
AKThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #2047
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Yea I know that. The reason is I had the cable box before I got the Tivo HD. And the way it is, I like it because the box I can watch while tivo records two other shows. IDK I am kinda weird like that. lol
If you leased a CableCARD, TiVo could be recording those two other things in HD, if they were available in that form. It could also be recording them from HBO, Showtime/TMC, Cinemax or whatever other premium services to which you subscribe.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 12-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #2048
billdav

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringFellow View Post
Any updated list of SDV enabled markets? I have missing channels which started on 12/8.
I don't know but apparently TWC in San Diego CA has started moving channels to SDV, in spite of the adapters not being available.

I've complained to TWC and to the local franchise authority. They should not be allowed to deploy SDV until after the adapters are available.
billdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #2049
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdav View Post
I don't know but apparently TWC in San Diego CA has started moving channels to SDV, in spite of the adapters not being available.

I've complained to TWC and to the local franchise authority. They should not be allowed to deploy SDV until after the adapters are available.
They started using SDV back in the end of July (see this thread at hdtv.forsandiego.com).

Good luck with your campaign. In a couple of places, the FCC has "punished" some cable providers for deploying SDV, but they didn't force them to stop or anything. Lord only knows how long it took from initial complaint to those decisions being issued.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 12-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #2050
ultrarunner

SDV TA available

Hey folks, just an FYI that the TA's are being mailed out in Rochester, NY. Should have mine by end of the week.
ultrarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #2051
gary325

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarunner View Post
Hey folks, just an FYI that the TA's are being mailed out in Rochester, NY. Should have mine by end of the week.
I got my call tonight as well (Rochester, NY). The TA will be free and mailed directly to me. Since I did not have Cable cards they are sending the Tech out next Tuesday, I hope the TA shows up before that time. Then I can have it all checked out.
Time to revisit the CableCard sticky's.
Sony SVR2000 - 75 hour - Monthly
gary325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #2052
ultrarunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary325 View Post
I got my call tonight as well (Rochester, NY). The TA will be free and mailed directly to me. Since I did not have Cable cards they are sending the Tech out next Tuesday, I hope the TA shows up before that time. Then I can have it all checked out.
Time to revisit the CableCard sticky's.
Sounds good Gary. I have had the duplex card in the Tivo since early this past summer, and have had no problems with it.

The Cisco TA arrived today, and I'm headed down to hook it up. Looks pretty straight forward, and I'll report back.

Ultra--
Old 12-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #2053
ultrarunner

Tuning adapter up and running...

Ok, getting transferred to Level 3 support. Tuning adapter up and running, but a bunch of channels still missing....

But the install was straight forward. Took about 5 minutes for the tuning adapter menu to come up.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #2054
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Ok, getting transferred to Level 3 support. Tuning adapter up and running, but a bunch of channels still missing....

But the install was straight forward. Took about 5 minutes for the tuning adapter menu to come up.
This type of information may be more appropriate for the SDV Tuning Adapter-Time Warner thread.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #2055
ultrarunner

Ok
Old 12-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #2056
gary325

TA in Rochester

Quote:
Sounds good Gary. I have had the duplex card in the Tivo since early this past summer, and have had no problems with it.

The Cisco TA arrived today, and I'm headed down to hook it up. Looks pretty straight forward, and I'll report back.

Ultra--
The Cable Cards got installed OK. I had two techs come over. The first had very good knowledge of CC's. But he brought ONE M-card and had to have the other guy get another for my Series 3.

The TA has not arrived
I can get only 5 channels that are not SDV'd.
How could you have survived?
Sony SVR2000 - 75 hour - Monthly

Last edited by gary325 : 12-26-2008 at 05:40 PM.
gary325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:24 AM   #2057
lrhorer

Well, 2008 is gone, and I don't have a Tuning Adapter in my hands, yet. Hmmm. I seem to recall someone saying Time Warner San Antonio wouldn't have the TAs out for General Availability before 2009. I wonder who it was said that?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #2058
berkshires

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Well, 2008 is gone, and I don't have a Tuning Adapter in my hands, yet. Hmmm. I seem to recall someone saying Time Warner San Antonio wouldn't have the TAs out for General Availability before 2009. I wonder who it was said that?
You are usually right about these things.

I hope the email I got the other day from TW re: Berskhire Co. saying January (2009) will turn out right.
berkshires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #2059
lrhorer

I'm not too skeptical about January 31, and I'll be quite annoyed if we don't have them by Feb 27. If I still don't have one by April Fool's day, I'm going to start sending letters. Q3 2008 was an unrealistic expectation, and Q4 was unlikely given the minuscule impact to revenue, but breaking into Q2 of 2009 without deployment in major* SDV markets would be nothing but heal dragging.

*Major in terms of the percentage of SDV-only HD channels, not necessarily the total number of subscribers.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #2060
timstack8969

Is comcast using "SDV" in Cherry Hill, NJ currently??? I haven't heard anything on this lately. Just wondering if "SDV" will be coming to Philly in 2009.
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #2061
FoxFireX

Just got a call from TWC San Antonio. They report the adapters will be available for pickup at two locations beginning Monday, January 12. Looks like I've got a new trip to make!
FoxFireX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #2062
moyekj

It's interesting that so far I have not seen a single mention of public deployment of Motorola Tuning Adapters anywhere in the country from any provider. It's likely most SDV deployments currently are in SA/Cisco headends but there are some Motorola ones as well - including my headend.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #2063
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
It's interesting that so far I have not seen a single mention of public deployment of Motorola Tuning Adapters anywhere in the country from any provider. It's likely most SDV deployments currently are in SA/Cisco headends but there are some Motorola ones as well - including my headend.
I noticed that too.... I remember when everybody on SA systems were freaking out when Motorola announced their TA with not a peep from SA for some time after....
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #2064
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
I noticed that too.... I remember when everybody on SA systems were freaking out when Motorola announced their TA with not a peep from SA for some time after....
Yeah. I guess SA/Cisco was too busy actually working to produce their tuning adapters to talk about them much while Motorola was too busy talking about theirs to actually get around to making any.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #2065
cableguy763

How many cable systems are using motorola for their switched services now? I cant think of any.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #2066
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
How many cable systems are using motorola for their switched services now? I cant think of any.
Cox Orange County, CA is (probably one of the few).

Old 01-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #2067
cableguy763

Cool, I honestly didnt know which moto systems had even deployed sdv. Not much reason to really rush for them if only a couple of systems even need it.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #2068
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Cox Orange County, CA is (probably one of the few).
And I think that Cox, while a Mot-based system, is actually using the BigBand SDV controller rather than the Mot SDV controller. Even less motivation for Mot to get the TAs out.

Actually, to be fair to Mot, I believe the hold-up now is with the cable providers who need to test and deploy the TAs in their environments.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #2069
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k View Post
And I think that Cox, while a Mot-based system, is actually using the BigBand SDV controller rather than the Mot SDV controller. Even less motivation for Mot to get the TAs out.

Actually, to be fair to Mot, I believe the hold-up now is with the cable providers who need to test and deploy the TAs in their environments.
Yes that's correct. Cox OC is using BigBand which supposedly can work in either SA/Cisco or Motorola systems. There was a press announcement from BigBand at one point which I'll try and dig up. That's probably leading to some complications I would guess while testing the TA's with BigBand system.

Here's a press release:
http://www.cedmagazine.com/Cox-picks...d-for-SDV.aspx
Quote:
BigBand’s John Connelly, executive VP of marketing, points to Cox’s plan of using SDV in both Motorola and Scientific Atlanta set-top boxes as proof that BigBand is committed to open systems.

“To the best of our knowledge, we’re the first vendor that has announced being able to deploy in both of those environments,” Connelly said. “From our perspective, this demonstrates our commitment to open systems. There’s a lot of talk about open systems, but at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding. We’re in the process of deploying in systems that support a wide range of set-top boxes and electronic program guides.”

Last edited by moyekj : 01-09-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #2070
jacksonian

I have TWC in Greensboro, NC. Just got the TA installed on Thursday in my S3 with 2 S-cards. Everything works fine, but the TA is only paired to CC#1. That works fine most of the time unless I'm already recording/pausing an SDV channel with CC#1 and want to record/watch another SDV channel, then I'm out of luck. I'm also concerned that the TiVo might use CC#1 to record a non-SDV channel by chance and then I won't be able to tune/record an SDV channel.

So my questions are:
1) is that correct that a TA can only pair with one CC at a time?
2) if #1 is correct, then what are my options?

Do I need to sell the S3 and get a TiVoHD with an M-card? If the TA is paired with an M-card, can you then tune SDV channels on both streams?
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote