Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #1951
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
The tuning resolver spec posted a few months ago said that the tuning resolver would provide a channel map that the host must use instead of the one provided by the cablecard. Of course, whether the tuning resolver will work in the absence of a cablecard is another matter.
Yeah--I read that spec and knew that, but thanks anyway. The section of TiVo's FAQ that I quoted says that the Tuning Adapter will work without CableCARDs, being independently loaded with a channel map that TiVo can and will use. The question is whether any cable provider will distribute these things to anyone using a TiVo without CableCARDs.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #1952
FoxFireX

Just had to replace my Series 3, and needed to re-pair the CCs in the process. While browsing around to see how much I'm missing out on until the TA arrives, I noticed this page that I figured I'd share with any other TWC San Antonio folk: http://www.timewarnercable.com/SanAn...v/default.html

Important bit is this: "Customers with TiVo Series 3, TiVo HD, and TiVo HD XL DVRs can order a FREE tuning adapter now." They've provided a form you can fill out to essentially be first in line when they're released here. The form says the "expected availability date is later this year," which is at least reassuring in that they're planning to release the things. Oh, and that nice word "FREE" has a really great ring to it.
FoxFireX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #1953
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Interesting. I looked at TWC San Diego's site and couldn't find a similar page on SDV with a pre-order form for a TA, but I did find this updated page on CableCARD, which talks about "Open Cable Products":
Quote:
  • Open Cable Products are two-way capable just like Time Warner Cable’s leased set top boxes and allow access to ALL of Time Warner Cable’s one-way and two-way services. We expect Open Cable Products to be available at retail in 2008.
They're obviously talking about products compliant with OpenCable's <tru2way> spec. Nice to see them promising support for them.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 10-10-2008, 12:02 AM   #1954
xirian

Any info on cablevision offering these yet?
xirian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:02 AM   #1955
Jimbo713
CreaTiVoty!

FoxFireX:

THANK YOU!!!!

TiVo Premiere with My DVR Expander HD
HD-TiVo
Jimbo713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #1956
sieglinde

Do I need a USB adapter for the HD Tivo? The instructions on the page say I do. The adapter does not have a USB port and the company says does not support them.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #1957
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
Do I need a USB adapter for the HD Tivo? The instructions on the page say I do. The adapter does not have a USB port and the company says does not support them.

The Tuning Adapter connects to the USB port already present on the back of the TiVo S3 or THD.

What company are you referring to?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #1958
sieglinde

Mediacom is crap

Mediacom. Of course my Tivo has a USB port. The tuning adapter does not and I called Mediacom and they said contact Tivo and that they were not going to support USB. Well I could care less about pay per view and on demand but I have the thing hooked up, activated it with the cable company and my Tivo is not receiving anything.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #1959
ajwees41

Quote:
Mediacom. Of course my Tivo has a USB port. The tuning adapter does not and I called Mediacom and they said contact Tivo and that they were not going to support USB. Well I could care less about pay per view and on demand but I have the thing hooked up, activated it with the cable company and my Tivo is not receiving anything.
who makes your tuning adapter? they both should have usb
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #1960
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

I bet they gave you a cable box that you can use on a separate input port of your TV to watch PPV and VOD live.
CuriousMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #1961
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Which Tuning Adapter did you get from MediaCom? Moto or Cisco? In either case, the Tuning Adapter should have a USB Type B connection on it:

You can see such a connection on the back-panel picture in the Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter spec-sheet and in this picture of the back of the Moto MTR700 (and if you don't have one of these boxes, you don't have a Tuning Adapter). USB Type B is common on things like printers and scanners. You need a USB-A-Male-to-USB-B-Male cable to connect the two (like this one). I'm surprised that it didn't come with one.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-13-2008, 06:54 PM   #1962
sieglinde

I ended up calling Tivo and they suggested it was a cable box so I did what I should have done a few hours ago, I checked the model number on the internet. It is a nice cute little cable box. Interestingly, the cable company did not ask anyone to return their cable boxes.

I am still not getting 2-13 they are acting like they are not authorized for my viewing so I will call the cable company and tell them that. Probably they need to hit the cable cards with a signal. I am learning way more about this than I should need to.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #1963
blacknoi

I was going to ask the question on whether the signal level would be reduced, as the SDV adapter is a pass-through for the coax.

But I was happily surprised to read this:

Quote:
While the Tuning Adapter is powered on, it boosts the signal strength slightly, so that there is no drop in signal strength due to the Tuning Adapter’s operation.
at this address. WOOT
Old 10-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #1964
sieglinde

I ended up using the cute little cable box with my Series 2 which has a lifetime subscription that I was planning to sell. I would rather have a tuning adapter on my Tivo HD.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #1965
Talkincat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFireX View Post
Just had to replace my Series 3, and needed to re-pair the CCs in the process. While browsing around to see how much I'm missing out on until the TA arrives, I noticed this page that I figured I'd share with any other TWC San Antonio folk: http://www.timewarnercable.com/SanAn...v/default.html
I called the number for my local division (Milwaukee) and they sent me to this page:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/tuningadapter

If you go to that page and put in your zipcode, you can submit the "pre-order" form which seems to be a "hey, I have TiVo, call me when these things are out" database. You can't actually order the tuning adapter, but it should get you a notification when they're available from TW.
Talkincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:27 PM   #1966
benegesserit

Exclamation Time Warner North East Wisconsin

I followed the link above to request an adapter and it actually worked this time! (Last week I tried it and it did not) I am in Wisconsin zip code 54956.

I also e-mailed customer service at Time warner last week. E-mailing them seems the best bet, because calling them is a hopeless waste of time. The customer service rep I got via e-mail said only that there was "limited interest" in the adapters and that he was "compiling a list of interested customers". His name was Steven. He also doesn't really understand the technology because he went on about needing "two way cable cards" to work with the adapter, etc... but at least he had a better clue than most.

Hope this helps someone out there.
benegesserit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #1967
joedandrea
TiVo Enthusiast

I checked in with Cablevision once again. Still no word on when the Tuning Adapter will be deployed. Meanwhile, they have made a(nother) note in my account that I'm eager to get one.

I'm using a Series 3 HD with two CableCARDs, and then we have VoIP x 3 and Internet x 2 to boot.

Meanwhile, Danella Line Services recently ran fiber through our neighborhood for Verizon FiOS. Hmm ...
joedandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #1968
Southie Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by benegesserit View Post
He also doesn't really understand the technology because he went on about needing "two way cable cards" to work with the adapter, etc... but at least he had a better clue than most.
That is interesting, because I got the very same "two way CableCard" comment from a New England TWC service rep. Perhaps its a corporate training glitch.
Southie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #1969
JimWall

I used the link for TWC tuning adapter showed above and quickly got a reply e-mail. It said there is no release date in Southwest Ohio but I am on the list to be notified when it becomes available.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:26 PM   #1970
Southie Boy

Here is the reply I got from TWC:

From: twc.tuningadapter [mailto:tuningadapter@twcable.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:18 PM
To: twc.tuningadapter
Subject: Re: SDV Tuning Adapter Pre-Order

October 30, 2008

Thank you for your request for the SDV Tuning Adapter. Your Pre-Order has been received. At this time the Tuning Adapter is not available to the public but is currently undergoing testing to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction upon release; which we will begin deployments later this year. We do not have a specific release date for your area, but once the Tuning Adapter becomes available a service representative will contact you to schedule the installation.

Thank you,

D. Jacobs
Corporate Tuning Adapter Desk
Time Warner Cable

Sounds to me that this is just a CYA letter so they can tell the FCC they are doing something while they continue to deprive TiVo/CableCard customers of the programing they are over paying for.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:44 AM   #1971
bicker
Gruff

Are you suggesting that testing a service before deploying that service is a bad thing?

If they deployed the tuning adapters without adequate testing and remediation, and there were problems, wouldn't you viciously condemn them for doing so?

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #1972
Blahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Are you suggesting that testing a service before deploying that service is a bad thing?

If they deployed the tuning adapters without adequate testing and remediation, and there were problems, wouldn't you viciously condemn them for doing so?
And are you suggesting that the CableLabs testing is insufficient and the certification process by which they assert to the FCC that devices thus tested are compatible is not valid? I am sure either the FCC or CableLabs would love to hear such a claim.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:18 AM   #1973
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

If you're going to deploy thousands of units into customer premises, nothing replaces field testing in your own system. Nothing. When your customers are crawling up your behind because it doesn't work as expected, CableLabs isn't going to assume any slightest bit of responsibility.

CableLabs (or some authorized alternative) supposedly thoroughly tested the interoperability of the first unidirectional CableCARDs in all the devices which shipped with slots for them, but they certainly didn't work smoothly.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-07-2008, 01:21 AM   #1974
Southie Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
No, I am suggesting that they are lying about the testing, and are not testing at all.
The reason I come to that conclusion is the letter I got from them explaining to me that they were "launching" SDV in my area, and that a solution ( the tuning adapter) for CableCard users would be coming soon. They went on to mention 2 obscure french language stations that would be the "first" stations to be moved to SDV.
The truth is that SDV has been being used for 2 years in my area, and there are a raft of stations that are already on it.
TWC will say whatever it thinks will keep their customers from complaining to the FCC about the fact that they are not providing access to all the content they are being paid for by CableCard customers.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #1975
vstone

Given the experience that many had with cablecards, does anyone here really think that cable companies have sufficiently trained their field techs and their CSR (both office and phone) on SDV? The fact that SDV has been working in a given location for two is absolutely NO gurarantee that it is actually set up correctly or would interoperate with a new piece of equipment.

TWC-SC's PSIP streams changed in FEB 07, disabling some clear QAM tuners. Both the local headend techs and the state head-end techs (the whole state is run out of Columbia) said that NO, repeat, NO changes had been made!
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 AM   #1976
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahman View Post
And are you suggesting that the CableLabs testing is insufficient and the certification process by which they assert to the FCC that devices thus tested are compatible is not valid?
That assertion is non-sequitur. CableLabs testing is compatibility testing, not functional testing.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #1977
zablock
tv connoisseur

forgive my ignorance, but is there a way to just buy an sdv tuning adapter and set it up to work without the cable company? I really don't feel like waiting on twc to take it's sweet time on deploying these adapters if I don't have to.
zablock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #1978
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by zablock View Post
forgive my ignorance, but is there a way to just buy an sdv tuning adapter and set it up to work without the cable company? I really don't feel like waiting on twc to take it's sweet time on deploying these adapters if I don't have to.
No.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #1979
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by zablock View Post
Just like with regular cable set top boxes there needs to be specific firmware and authorization for the tuning adapter so you can't just buy an adapter from anywhere, plug it in and expect it to work.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #1980
JimWall

I just received this e-mail from TWC. Looks like a December date!!!

November 12, 2008

Thank you for your request for the SDV Tuning Adapter. Your Pre-Order has been received and your information recorded. At this time the Tuning Adapter is not available to the public but is currently undergoing testing to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction. We expect the Tuning Adapters to be released to the public sometime in December in many areas of the country. Although we do not have a specific release date for your area, once the Tuning Adapter becomes available a service representative will contact you to schedule the installation.

Thank you,

D. Jacobs

Corporate Tuning Adapter Desk

Time Warner Cable
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote