TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #1291
Firekite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Wal-Mart is poised to become the top seller of HDTVs this December -- Ask yourself, which "end" of the market will they be serving? And they'll make many times more money per store doing so, just this year, than the entire Cambridge Soundworks chain made selling HDTVs in the entirety of its existence.
I was really hoping those underlined bits were links to sources. Can you provide them? It's interesting stuff.

Quote:
$1,000,000 of profit, made $1,000 at a time, is just as good as $1,000,000 of profit, made $10,000 at a time.
I tell you what, having worked retail before I can tell you I'd much rather be making it at $10,000 at a time
Firekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #1292
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
I was really hoping those underlined bits were links to sources. Can you provide them? It's interesting stuff.
Uh read it again. Some of it hasn't happened yet. I don't have a time machine.

Quote:
I tell you what, having worked retail before I can tell you I'd much rather be making it at $10,000 at a time
That's the difference between a sales person and a business manager.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #1293
jbmdharris

I'm considering buying a TiVo and getting rid of my TWC SA8300HDC with awful Navigator software. The gotcha is SDV and I know very little about TiVo. (Never owned one... but have used cable-company provided DVRs for several years.) I've been scanning this and other TiVo forums and I know there's a dongle that someday may come out enabling TivoHD to get SDV channels... but given the history of troubles in this area, I'm not counting on it any time in my lifetime or that something else won't come up that gets in the way of it working.

So what I don't see in all of my searches is any discussion of any kind of component or technology that exists *now* that will allow a TiVo HD (or heck, any HD DVR product) to record an HD output from and drive a cable company-provided HD set-top box like the series 2 TiVos can do with standard definition set top boxes. Does anything like this exist? (But of course, recording an HD signal instead of just the SD signal.)

Is there any kind of third-party device that can convert HDMI or component output back to a coax input that TiVo HD can record in HD? What about a software update and device that enables TiVo HD to send out remote control sequences to the HD cable box to change the channel?

It seems to me that the ability for TiVo to record from and control cable and satellite provided set top boxes has been the single key technology that enabled TiVo to exist and be viable in the marketplace. Why on earth would this function be removed from the newer models even with the cable card capabilities.

Last edited by jbmdharris : 04-02-2008 at 09:38 PM.
jbmdharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #1294
bxojr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmdharris View Post
So what I don't see in all of my searches is any discussion of any kind of component or technology that exists *now* that will allow a TiVo HD (or heck, any HD DVR product) to record an HD output from and drive a cable company-provided HD set-top box like the series 2 TiVos can do with standard definition set top boxes. Does anything like this exist?
Others may be able to answer more authoritatively, but my understanding is that there are basically three reasons why the answer is "no":
  • A high-definition digital signal represents a MUCH larger volume of data than a standard-definition signal. Encoding that much data on the fly is simply not practical with current technology. I have seen news stories about other companies (not TiVo) developing a "component-in" HD DVR, but no such product exists yet; and it would likely be very expensive.
  • Recording the video output from a cable box would mean that the digital signal is sent through another generation of encoding and decoding, which would unavoidably entail some loss of quality. Which is probably not what you want, if you're going to the trouble to watch HD in the first place.
  • Such a scheme would also bypass all of the copy-protection schemes that exist in the digital data stream, which would tick off the content owners. That's something TiVo has been careful to avoid doing (same reason there's no thirty-second skip by default).

My guess is that such a DVR may be just possible technically, but it's very unlikely we'll ever see one from TiVo.
bxojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #1295
Firekite

Quote:
Uh read it again. Some of it hasn't happened yet. I don't have a time machine.
*eyebrow*

You make some rather authoritative forecasts that sound like you're very confident in them and then mention some other specifics about current and past stats. Where did you get any of that information?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #1296
ajwees41

Quote:
I'm considering buying a TiVo and getting rid of my TWC SA8300HDC with awful Navigator software. The gotcha is SDV and I know very little about TiVo. (Never owned one... but have used cable-company provided DVRs for several years.) I've been scanning this and other TiVo forums and I know there's a dongle that someday may come out enabling TivoHD to get SDV channels... but given the history of troubles in this area, I'm not counting on it any time in my lifetime or that something else won't come up that gets in the way of it working.

So what I don't see in all of my searches is any discussion of any kind of component or technology that exists *now* that will allow a TiVo HD (or heck, any HD DVR product) to record an HD output from and drive a cable company-provided HD set-top box like the series 2 TiVos can do with standard definition set top boxes. Does anything like this exist? (But of course, recording an HD signal instead of just the SD signal.)

Is there any kind of third-party device that can convert HDMI or component output back to a coax input that TiVo HD can record in HD? What about a software update and device that enables TiVo HD to send out remote control sequences to the HD cable box to change the channel?

It seems to me that the ability for TiVo to record from and control cable and satellite provided set top boxes has been the single key technology that enabled TiVo to exist and be viable in the marketplace. Why on earth would this function be removed from the newer models even with the cable card capabilities.
why would you want to do that? The S3 or HD Tivo only need cable cards to decrypt the signal
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #1297
jbmdharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
why would you want to do that? The S3 or HD Tivo only need cable cards to decrypt the signal
Cable cards can't pick up SDV broadcasts. I'm a Time Warner Cable customer in an area where SDV is being rolled out. We have some SDV channels on my system now that I would not be able to get. More and more digital channels will be converted to SDV this year to make room for new HDTV channels. Until the SDV dongle is complete, available, proven to work, and guaranteed to work into the future, any TiVo HD I buy would continue to be crippled more and more throughout the year until the dongle is available... assuming it works and Time Warner doesn't do something else to break TiVo in the meantime.

Depending upon your cable system and digital lineup, TiVo HD may not be any better than the TiVo unit able to record standard definition broadcasts on analog TV... and I'm trying to replace Time Warner's unreliable HD DVR which gives me access to all the digital channels... even the SDV ones.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #1298
jbmdharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxojr View Post
A high-definition digital signal represents a MUCH larger volume of data than a standard-definition signal. Encoding that much data on the fly is simply not practical with current technology.
Good point... I hadn't considered this. Given how long it takes to produce a digital home movie in DVD format should have clued me in to this. So TiVo (and I guess other DVRs) mpeg encode analog signals but just copy the raw digital signal to disk (since it's already mpeg encoded coming down the pipe)?

Quote:
Recording the video output from a cable box would mean that the digital signal is sent through another generation of encoding and decoding, which would unavoidably entail some loss of quality.
I would prefer not to have quality loss... but I'll take quality loss over no ability to record at all.

Quote:
Such a scheme would also bypass all of the copy-protection schemes that exist in the digital data stream, which would tick off the content owners.
This is probably the "nail in the coffin" so to speak. In order to make such a device and have the media industry not completely block it in litigation, it would have to honor the digital copyright data in the stream. And given other posts I've seen on this newsgroup where people complain that they can't copy recorded shows off of their TiVo units to their PC because of incorrect copy protection bits set by cable providers or networks... the device probably couldn't actually record much.

So, I'm guessing this means that TiVo is able to do what they are doing without any more legal problems than they have because their device records the data stream for a specific purpose (time shifting) and there is a way to prevent distribution of the recording (the copy protection information provided by the content provider, network, or cable system).

What this all seems to boil down to is there really is no alternative DVR solution for customers of cable systems using switched digital video technology right now... Well, except for completely switching to satellite. And since I choose not to use satellite (for reasons I won't go into here) and since Time Warner is replacing decent DVR software (Aptiv Passport) with awful, buggy software (OCAP Navigator) on all of their HD DVR boxes this year, I'm stuck until either Time Warner fixes the problems with their DVR software, or the dongle comes out so I can actually use a TiVo HD if I were to buy it.

I wish I had come to this realization two weeks ago before I bought my new TV and switched out my service. Now I've got a DVR system that doesn't have features I've come to rely on, I'm spoiled by the new HDTV and don't want to return it, and can't really switch to a TiVo HD DVR just yet. I guess the rest of you guys are now saying "join the club" huh?

Last edited by jbmdharris : 04-03-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #1299
ADent

An S2 TiVo would do analog quality.

Cable boxes are supposed to have a FireWire output, and there are some firewire recorders - but nothing (that I know of) with a TiVo like interface to control the cable box. See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=42 .
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #1300
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
An S2 TiVo would do analog quality.

Cable boxes are supposed to have a FireWire output, and there are some firewire recorders - but nothing (that I know of) with a TiVo like interface to control the cable box. See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=42 .
Digital cable STBs are supposed to have 1394/DTCP (Firewire) connections--it's a bidirectional communications link. They should not require a TiVo-like IR repeater for control, since they are further required to implement a subset of the defined AV/C commands for tuners: the device recording them should be able to send them messages over 1394 to get the tuner's status and configuration and to turn the tuner on and off and change the channel.

This interface and these specific capabilities are required by Code of Federal Regulations Title 47, §76.640(b)(4):
Quote:
(4) Cable operators shall:

(i) Effective April 1, 2004, upon request of a customer, replace any leased high definition set-top box, which does not include a functional IEEE 1394 interface, with one that includes a functional IEEE 1394 interface or upgrade the customer's set-top box by download or other means to ensure that the IEEE 1394 interface is functional.

(ii) Effective July 1, 2005, include both a DVI or HDMI interface and an IEEE 1394 interface on all high definition set-top boxes acquired by a cable operator for distribution to customers.

(iii) Ensure that these cable operator-provided high definition set-top boxes shall comply with ANSI/SCTE 26 2001 (formerly DVS 194): “Home Digital Network Interface Specification with Copy Protection” (incorporated by reference, see §76.602), with transmission of bit-mapped graphics optional, and shall support the CEA–931–A: “Remote Control Command Pass-through Standard for Home Networking” (incorporated by reference, see §76.602), pass through control commands: tune function, mute function, and restore volume function. In addition these boxes shall support the power control commands (power on, power off, and status inquiry) defined in A/VC Digital Interface Command Set General Specification Version 4.0 (as referenced in ANSI/SCTE 26 2001 (formerly DVS 194): “Home Digital Network Interface Specification with Copy Protection” (incorporated by reference, see §76.602)).
For some reason, the CE OEMs who make most of these boxes and their firmware have found it difficult to produce compliant products, so there are very few products which do comply and very few cable providers have them. But every box that they purchased for the past two years, eight months should have had working 1394/DTCP connections.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #1301
bxojr

Quote:
I wish I had come to this realization two weeks ago before I bought my new TV and switched out my service. Now I've got a DVR system that doesn't have features I've come to rely on, I'm spoiled by the new HDTV and don't want to return it, and can't really switch to a TiVo HD DVR just yet. I guess the rest of you guys are now saying "join the club" huh?
It all depends on where you are and what your local cable system is doing with respect to SDV. For what it's worth, I switched to cable and bought a TiVo HD less than a month ago, even after reading about the SDV issues. For me the TiVo HD was perfectly viable, and I'm happy with my decision.

Why? I decided the risk was acceptable. My local provider (TWC in Raleigh/Durham) has not yet implemented SDV, although they could do so at any time. Even if they do, it's likely to be only for newly added channels (so I won't lose anything I have now), and it's likely to be only for less popular channels. Most of the HD programs we watch are on the major networks, which are not likely to go SDV.

My advice would be to find out whether and how your local cable company is using SDV, and whether any channels you care about are affected.

Eventually the tuning resolver will appear, so this is all a transient situation anyway. I've lived this long without Animal Planet in HD, so I figure I can last a few more months if necessary. (I don't subscribe to the pessimistic "don't hold your breath" view about the tuning resolver -- there's too much at stake for both TiVo and the cable companies.)
Old 04-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #1302
rockymountaind

Quote:
Cable cards can't pick up SDV broadcasts...
If I understand the issue correctly, it's the TiVo boxes that can't do SDV (because they aren't 2-way); the cards themselves have nothing to do with SDV.
rockymountaind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #1303
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountaind View Post
If I understand the issue correctly, it's the TiVo boxes that can't do SDV (because they aren't 2-way); the cards themselves have nothing to do with SDV.
rocky you are correct.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #1304
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Exactly. All the new boxes that the cable companies have acquired since last July (the SA Explorer boxes with "C" on the end their model, like SA8300HDC) have M-Cards in them which they use to decrypt everything. Anyplace where SDV is deployed, CableCARDs are being used to receive them.

The trick with SDV is not in tuning the channel, but in finding out where it is--what frequency band has its QAM carrier and what program number the channel is assigned within that stream. To find this stuff out, you have to be able to ask the system for the information; TiVos can't do it because they completely lack the ability to talk to the cable system over the coax. The Tuning Resolver will do that talking for them and TiVos will talk to the Tuning Resolver through a USB connection.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 04-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #1305
Firekite

Quote:
Ugh. This has been addressed to death. Technically that is correct, yes. However, by "CableCARDS" most people are actually referring to any 3rd party CableCARD device. This being the TiVo forum, that generally means their TiVo. It is true that it's not CableCARDS themselves that are the problem, but rather that no 3rd party device (which is necessarily a CableCARD device, while the proprietary CATV-provided devices may not be) can communicate back to the CATV provider.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #1306
ah30k

Quote:
However, by "CableCARDS" most people are actually referring to any 3rd party CableCARD device.
Yes, and some around here get very testy when someone corrects a poster who makes this error. Don't know why.

Anyway, I think the best way to say it is: while all CableCARDs are inherently two-way, the licensing terms associated with becoming an authorized CableCARD device require any CE device wishing to take advantage of two-way services also be OCAP compliant. Many CE companies find these terms onerous and choose not to sign the terms thus become forced into one-way usage.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #1307
bxojr

Quote:
However, by "CableCARDS" most people are actually referring to any 3rd party CableCARD device.
I have no intention of involving myself in this argument, but speaking for myself, I really do prefer more precise terminology. When I say "CableCARD," I mean the CableCARD. If I want to talk about the CableCARD host device, I say "CableCARD host device." This is the terminology used by the CableCARD spec, the NCTA, the CEA, the FCC, and anyone else who wants to have a clear technical discussion about the issues.

You're probably right that "most people" are not careful to make this distinction. But I think it's an important distinction, and being careful about it would really help to avoid some awfully pointless arguments on this forum.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #1308
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
You can look on my blog back in January and Megazone & Zatz for more info on this. One product is made by Gefen. Perhaps TiVo will someday incorporate such technology, but they have never commented on doing so as far as I know.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #1309
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
The trick with SDV is not in tuning the channel, but in finding out where it is--what frequency band has its QAM carrier and what program number the channel is assigned within that stream.
Don´t forget the other trick: requesting/maintaining the channel.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #1310
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo View Post
Don´t forget the other trick: requesting the channel.
That's what I meant when I said "To find this stuff out, you have to be able to ask the system for the information". You find out where the channel is by requesting it. Of course, it might not be anywhere until after you request it and there's a possibility that it won't be able to allocate bandwidth to it.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 04-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #1311
lrhorer

Ten different ways

Quote:
There is a place -- a very specific and significant place -- for both "ends" of the market, and neither end is "better" or "worse" to pursue: $1,000,000 of profit, made $1,000 at a time, is just as good as $1,000,000 of profit, made $10,000 at a time.
'Too right. 'Excellent post. Of course, Cable hopes they can successfuly pursue both ends of the spectrum, and as such they have a very broad range of demographics to consider. Anything they can inexpensively and reasonably do to keep one segment happy is worthwhile, unless it impacts the spending of another, larger demographic, in which case it's a bad idea. Larger in this case means more dollars, not just more subs. The thing is, no matter how one slices it, third party CableCard users, although dfinitely visisble, respresent a rather small demographic. If they are business wise, then the CATV providers will exert some effort to make TiVo users happy, but not out of proportion to the TiVo user's spend and not in conflict with other user's desires.

That leaves us in a less than optimal situation.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #1312
lrhorer

Sales

Quote:
That's the difference between a sales person and a business manager.
'Or an investor. The sales manager might have some sympathy for the saleman. The investor couldn't care less how much effort the sales staff has to expend.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #1313
lrhorer

Don't hold your breath

Quote:
I'm considering buying a TiVo and getting rid of my TWC SA8300HDC with awful Navigator software.
"Awful" is a huge understatement. Listening to fingernails on a chalkboard is less irritating.

Quote:
The gotcha is SDV and I know very little about TiVo.
It's pretty simple. SDV requires 2-way communications between the customer's system and the CATV headend. TiVos are not 2-way hosts, so no SDV without some means of help.

Quote:
I've been scanning this and other TiVo forums and I know there's a dongle that someday may come out enabling TivoHD to get SDV channels... but given the history of troubles in this area, I'm not counting on it any time in my lifetime or that something else won't come up that gets in the way of it working.
I'm not worried that somehow it will get worked out. When is another matter. I wouldn't worry about SDV incompatibility after the fact. Anything that breaks the dongle woud be extremely likely to break the CATV company's STBs and DVRs, as well.

Quote:
Is there any kind of third-party device that can convert HDMI or component output back to a coax input that TiVo HD can record in HD?
Don't hold your breath on the HDMI. Even if HDCP would allow such a thing (very unlikely), you're asking for a really beefy - read that expensive - piece of hardware. Converting a 3Gbps uncompressed digital stream to a 16 or 17 Mbps compressed stream on the fly is a very tall order. Even compressing the analog Composite signal is challenging.

Quote:
What about a software update and device that enables TiVo HD to send out remote control sequences to the HD cable box to change the channel?
Well, it woud ahve to be a piece of aditional hardware, not just software, but network based IR controllers are readily available.

Quote:
It seems to me that the ability for TiVo to record from and control cable and satellite provided set top boxes has been the single key technology that enabled TiVo to exist and be viable in the marketplace.
It was alsoa different technological world.

Quote:
Why on earth would this function be removed from the newer models even with the cable card capabilities.
'so they could manufacture them for less than $10,000 each.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #1314
lrhorer

Holding your breath

Quote:
(I don't subscribe to the pessimistic "don't hold your breath" view about the tuning resolver -- there's too much at stake for both TiVo and the cable companies.)
I'm not pessimistic they or some devices with comperable functionality will be availble eventually. I'm just not betting on the June 30 deadline.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #1315
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I wouldn't worry about SDV incompatibility after the fact. Anything that breaks the dongle woud be extremely likely to break the CATV company's STBs and DVRs, as well.
Being something that the cable companies will distribute and maintain, I'd expect Tuning Resolvers to have field upgradable firmware just like their leased tuning STBs. The OpenCable Tuning Resolver Interface Specification anticipates this and specifies how the TR will signal the UDCP (i.e., TiVo) that it's temporarily offline and then available again.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 04-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #1316
slude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
The trick with SDV is not in tuning the channel, but in finding out where it is--what frequency band has its QAM carrier and what program number the channel is assigned within that stream. To find this stuff out, you have to be able to ask the system for the information
I've seen this explanation offered several times before, but I don't follow the transition from the problem statement to the conclusion regarding available implementations.

Accepting that first sentence as factual, I take note that my CableCARD device (perhaps oddly so for this forum, although I have a TivoHD my only CableCARD device is a Sony TV so my experience with CableCARD use may be different) has done quite well at finding out the frequency band/QAM carrier/program number information for any given channel in spite of several changes my cable provider has made to those relationships over the two years I've had a CableCARD installed. My Sony TV has no problem finding where Comcast has hidden a channel lately (almost always; it did lose track of the Cartoon Network for a couple days last week and need help) even though it has absolutely no way to ask the cable system for that information.

From what I've read, communicating this information from the cable provider to any CableCARD device is, in fact, one of the primary functions of the CableCARD. So whether the cable provider is changing the frequency band/QAM carrier/program number information for a channel once a quarter, once a month, once a day, once an hour or every 60 seconds, I don't see the logical basis for concluding "you have to be able to ask the system for the information" in order to be able to tune in a channel being managed via SDV.
slude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #1317
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by slude View Post
I've seen this explanation offered several times before, but I don't follow the transition from the problem statement to the conclusion regarding available implementations.

Accepting that first sentence as factual, I take note that my CableCARD device (perhaps oddly so for this forum, although I have a TivoHD my only CableCARD device is a Sony TV so my experience with CableCARD use may be different) has done quite well at finding out the frequency band/QAM carrier/program number information for any given channel in spite of several changes my cable provider has made to those relationships over the two years I've had a CableCARD installed. My Sony TV has no problem finding where Comcast has hidden a channel lately (almost always; it did lose track of the Cartoon Network for a couple days last week and need help) even though it has absolutely no way to ask the cable system for that information.

From what I've read, communicating this information from the cable provider to any CableCARD device is, in fact, one of the primary functions of the CableCARD. So whether the cable provider is changing the frequency band/QAM carrier/program number information for a channel once a quarter, once a month, once a day, once an hour or every 60 seconds, I don't see the logical basis for concluding "you have to be able to ask the system for the information" in order to be able to tune in a channel being managed via SDV.

the point of SDV is the channel is only turned on when someone wants to watch it. So if no one else in your neighborhood is watching SDV channel X- your box needs to notify the cable company that you want it.

After that the SDV equipment would assign an unused channel and then tell your box where to find it.

THEN equally important. For the system to work properly when you dont want to watch the channel anymore the SDV system needs to shut the channel down so if someone else wants channel Y or Z there is a place for it.

So periodically your box and the headend need to speak to each other and see if you still need the channel.

with 2 way communication (OCAP, propiretary box, or the dongle):
-your box "hey headend I want to watch channel X"
-headend "OK I put it on qam slot 99.3 look there"
-your box would tune to channel 99.3 then some time later:
-headend "hey are you still watching that channel?"
-box "yep my owner hasn't changed channels, shut me off, or not touched a button on the remote for 90 minutes so he must be watching"
-and the headend leaves the channel on.

without 2 way communication- like any current cablecard receiver availible in retail as they are all currently one way:
-your box says TO ITSELF "my owner wants channel X let me look for it on the channel list" and no one is currently watching it so it isn't assigned a channel number so the box thinks to itself "gee I just dont see channel X anymore on the list so the channel must not be availible on this system"
-maybe you get lucky and the channel is still up and the box finds it's on channel 99.3 so it tunes to it. Some time later the cable company polls everyone IT KNOWS is watching the channel "HEY any of you still watching this channel" - Your box might scream it's head off "YES YES I AM" but no one hears it. SO if no one else is watching the channel then the SDV systems at the head end shuts the channel off right in the middle of you watching it.

So 2-way communication with SDV is absolutely necessary.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #1318
ilh

How does SDV know when you are no longer watching a channel? What if you never turn off the cable box?
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #1319
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilh View Post
How does SDV know when you are no longer watching a channel? What if you never turn off the cable box?

I am not certain as I've never owned a cable company cable box. But I assume it's like a tivo with suggestions or a featuer on certain tv's.

I rarely watch live tv but I think that the tivo does a similar thing for suggestions- If your tivo detects no input via the remote (including volume up or down to the tv) for a set period it assumes you aren't around and asks with a confirmation if it can switch channels on you to record a suggestion- if you aren't there to say no it switches channels and does what it wants.

I assume cable boxes with SDV behave very similarly. If they you dont change channels for a set period and it doesn't see you change the volume on the tv then it will put a prompt on the screen asking if it's ok to shut down the channel. If you dont say NO it will shut off the SDV channel (probably dumping you to the guide or some barker or ad channel).

My sharp aquos TV does a similar thing - if it senses no activity for a certain period then it shuts itself down.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 PM   #1320
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilh View Post
Apparently in the case of a device using a Tuning Resolver, you will get asked, much like TiVo's "I-want-to-change-channels-in-a-few-minutes-to-make-a-scheduled-recording. Okay?" query. See the OpenCable Tuning Resolver Interface Specification; page 42 shows some suggested User Inactivity Messages, which are to be displayed when a particular message from the tuning resolver is received by a UDCP (Unidirectional Digital Cable Product, like TiVo). There's also some vebiage in there about sending udcp_status_update() messages to the tuning resolver when remote control command or front panel button presses occur.

"
" -- hookbill