Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2008, 06:11 AM   #991
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post
Is it me or is this thread just going in circles?
What do you expect, Bob? Some folks are simply unwilling to accept the reality and will continue beating this dead horse over and over again, condemning cable companies, condemning TiVo, etc. And other folks are willing to oblige them by posting objections to their repetitive tirades, when said condemnations contain something that they disagree with. So the thread will go on like that until people stop repeating the condemnations that have already been made earlier in the thread, and/or something actually does change, which is probably going to happen late this year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #992
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldudek View Post
I was unaware of the SA TBD thing. Can you point me as to where that info is located?
I think Bob was pointing out the lack of any information indicating that SA was working on a resolution. He cannot point to information if what he's saying is that no information exists.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:20 AM   #993
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsFan24 View Post
What's wrong with someone feeling like the cablecos move to SDV was unfair to TIVO S3/HD users?
There isn't anything "wrong" with feelings. Let's turn it around: What's wrong with someone feeling like it wasn't unfair? Both are valid points; neither deserve an unrebutted soap-box.

Quote:
When I bought my S3 a year ago, there was lots of big text saying "HD!"; no big text saying, "except if..."
Are you suggesting that TiVo is the only device that has fine print? The whole point of advertising -- the "big text" -- is to highlight the positive attributes of the product. The disclaimers -- the "except if..."s -- are always less prominent, and often written in language that only a lawyer could understand. You want to see a real doozie? Check out your cell phone contract!

Quote:
That being said, I don't blame TIVO or TWC. I understand the business and technical decisions both made, and I look forward to the dongle, whenever it should arrive.
That's really the best way of looking at it.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #994
lrhorer

Total Rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatzke View Post
I just got the following response from Time Warner in response to my angry missive to the FCC:
This is total horse pookey, and you need to let them know you know that. All CableCards are 2-way and have been since the very first one rolled off the line. CableCard 1.0 cards are just as capable of 2 way communications as any other, and Open Cable 2.0 specs have nothing to do with CableCards per se. They have to do with the hosts, not the cards, and no CableCard of any sort will allow a one-way host like the TiVo to handle SDV. Tell him in no uncewrtain terms he is full of $#!+, and he needs to learn something about his own business rather than submit packs of outright lies.

Quote:
I am pretty sure the Tivo HD and S3 are not going to work with cable card 2.0, so I assume I have to wait on the SDV USB fix that may be out and available in a year or so.
The Open Cable spec, as I said, concerns hosts, not the CableCards. The S3 supports both S-cards (CableCard 1.0 spec) and M-cards (CableCard 2.0 spec), but only in single stream mode. The HD TiVO supportds M-cards in multistream mode. I have one in my HD Tivo, and it works just fine, receiveing any two simulataneous non-SDV channels. I'm on Time Warner San Antonio.

The Dongle - which is a poor idea as allegedly prototyped - is supposed to be available for Motorola systems in Q2 this year, but that may just be a leak. Nothing has been said publicly about an SA solution, or if SA is even looking at a solution. This doesn't necessarily mean they aren't of course, just that they are better at keeping their mouths shut than Motorola.

Quote:
Are there any Cable Card 2.0 devices out other than those leased by providers?
Open Cable 2.0 is not a ratified spec, so I'm not sure how to answer that, except that none of the various SDV implementations is currently supported in a consumer device. If you are on Time Warner, then your system is probably Scientific Atlanta / BigBand. Most Comcast systems (I believe) use Motorola, which is OCAP compliant and meets the currently suggested spec for Open Cable 2.0. SA systems do not.

By the way, the C series of Scientific Atlanta STBs and DVRs use the same M-cards the TiVo does, and it is these most TWC systems are deploying for SDV right now. His comments concerning needing "2-way" cards is pure @#%@^.

Last edited by lrhorer : 01-07-2008 at 05:57 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #995
lrhorer

Define "something"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
So the thread will go on like that until people stop repeating the condemnations that have already been made earlier in the thread, and/or something actually does change, which is probably going to happen late this year.
What, exactly, do you mean by "something". A firm committment to supporting the TiVo platform would be "something", and I can see that happening much more quickly than the end of the year. (By "TiVo platform", I of course mean a device which works with the S3 series of TiVos, not necesssarily a device dedicated to them.) An actual device sitting on the shelves would definitely be "something", and I can hope it will happen before the end of Q2. I fear, however, you might be right in estimating Q4, and maybe not then. Far stranger things have happend, however, and I'm going to keep my hopes up. An actual, reasonable, teeth-bared edict from the FCC would really be "something", but I wouldn't bet on end of the decade for that, let alone end of this year.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #996
lrhorer

Earth to gatzke

Quote:
Ideally they would have the USB Tivo thing working before SDV rolled out, or charge me proportional to the number of channels I actually can watch.
Ideally the FCC would have forced a reasonable and workable set of regulations regarding 2-way hosts on CableLabs and the CATV industry prior to 2006. That way TiVo could have designed and engineered an SDV capable box from the get-go. As it is, they've been forced into Open Cable 1.0 limitations with no way to receive CableLabs certification if they attempt an Open Cable 2.0 box.

Last edited by lrhorer : 01-07-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #997
MichaelK

holy cow-

maybe we can get a sticky at the top of the forum that says "cable is a monopoly-no it isn't" and then people can b*tch and bicker can smack them around all in one thread....

i was away for a while and saw a few pages of posts new in this thread- thought maybe there was some info but after like the 10th "yes it is" "no it isn't" post i just kind of skimmed so i think that's all that transpired of late. Anything new really happening?

I appreciate Bicker's opinion's (dont necessarily agree all the time) but this argument is getting old already.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #998
KraziJoe
What? Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
holy cow-

maybe we can get a sticky at the top of the forum that says "cable is a monopoly-no it isn't" and then people can b*tch and bicker can smack them around all in one thread....

i was away for a while and saw a few pages of posts new in this thread- thought maybe there was some info but after like the 10th "yes it is" "no it isn't" post i just kind of skimmed so i think that's all that transpired of late. Anything new really happening?

I appreciate Bicker's opinion's (dont necessarily agree all the time) but this argument is getting old already.
No it's not...
KraziJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #999
gatzke

Yes it is! I think that settles it...

So I assume that since TWC is using SA boxes and cable cards in my area, I have no hope of seeing a dongle in Q2 (or actually in the field in Q4?). Good thing I am leaving the country for half a year or more...

This makes me want to find a way to steal HD cable, since they can't supply what I am paying for. I know they call most of the SDV HD channels "Bonus" so I am not entitled. I know they have small print about limitations on cable card users. I am paying for the HD tier but only get 75% of the channels. I think this stinks, but when has the cable company not screwed its customers?

The Tivo integrates well with my Beyond TV + Hauppage PVR 500 card, playing SD videos just fine on the Tivo HD. I hope to try out a HD receiver (HD Homerun) to get clear QAM cable onto the PC as well. Now if I could just get some way to grab SDV into a clean mpeg2 file somewhere...
gatzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #1000
pmiranda

Quote:
So I assume that since TWC is using SA boxes and cable cards in my area, I have no hope of seeing a dongle in Q2 (or actually in the field in Q4?).
...snip...
The Tivo integrates well with my Beyond TV + Hauppage PVR 500 card, playing SD videos just fine on the Tivo HD.
A little bird told me SA is not as far behind as you fear, but like all other things TW/SA/TiVo, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm curious exactly what steps you have to do to get BeyondTV programs into TiVo? Can you just drag the files into "My TiVo Recordings" or do you have to do some manual processing in between? I was thinking about buying BeyondTV and an IR blaster so I can get SDV off a cableco settop but I didn't want to waste money on something that was a pain to use with the SDV dongle "on the way".
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #1001
lrhorer

Bad little birdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
A little bird told me SA is not as far behind as you fear, but like all other things TW/SA/TiVo, I'll believe it when I see it.
Yeah, another little bird told me the same thing, but it's not a bird I trust overly much. When my TiVos are getting all the scheduled SDV programming, I'll believe it. Or maybe I'll just switch from TWC to Grande. I've been threatening to do that for a while. Grande is certainly cheaper.

Quote:
I'm curious exactly what steps you have to do to get BeyondTV programs into TiVo?
I can't really say for certain. I looked up BeyondTV, and the support site says it can write MPEG-2 files, which really should be compatible with the TiVo, but should and are can be two different things. You might have to run them through a pre-processor like QuickFix in VideoRedo. Try it and see. You alos might try pyTiVo if TiVo Desktop doesn't work (or maybe just because pyTiVo works better than TiVo Desktop).
Old 01-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #1002
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I can't really say for certain.
Yeah, that's why I asked somebody that says they did it. I don't intend to be mean when I say this, but you don't have to reply to every post on this thread.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:25 AM   #1003
gatzke

Quote:
I'm curious exactly what steps you have to do to get BeyondTV programs into TiVo? Can you just drag the files into "My TiVo Recordings" or do you have to do some manual processing in between?
You can try out Beyond TV for a month for free.

Using a PVR 500 card with hardware encryption for two channels, it writes normal MPeg2 files in a directory of your choosing on your PC. Running tivo desktop allows my Tivo HD to see that PC on the network and it treats all the video on the PC as a single group in "my playing" list. This is not especially good, since the PC has 1 TB+ (lots of video files). The Beyond TV names the files rationally enough to at least tell what show it was. No transcode needed, just select the file and start it downloading to you my playing list, then watch as it streams.

I think it may also work with the HD homerun, which can record two SD or clear QAM HD. I would go with that one, since it does HD and it does not need a slot, just a connection on your wired network and a cable in.

BTV actually gives me stability issues, so I am not 100% behind it. It seems to need a daily reboot. Not sure if it is due to watching live TV overnight or what? They are looking at my logs to see if it is something I have done in my config, but it for the most part works and is very snappy.

The PC is also down right now since I had to send back my PCV 500 Hauppage card. Terrible signal on some channels, but some were ok. Maybe I just have a bad card. After months of PC headache, the Tivo is nice (only one week of cable card SDV headache...)

The coolest part is using a slingbox on the Tivo to stream tivo back to the PC. I can move stuff to the PC if I wanted, but it is so much easier to just stream it to the bedroom PC.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #1004
gatzke

HTPC to Tivo with Beyond TV

Quote:
BTV actually gives me stability issues, so I am not 100% behind it. It seems to need a daily reboot. Not sure if it is due to watching live TV overnight or what? They are looking at my logs to see if it is something I have done in my config, but it for the most part works and is very snappy.
Apparently I have something wrong with my hardware, probably a flaky IDE controller. So maybe Beyond TV is not to blame, although it should have been able to gracefully fail on me. Another good thing about Tivo, limited hardware combinations so they should be able to minimize hardware issues or at least handle them somewhat well. I have never had a Tivo hardware problem (knock on wood) so I don't really know how good they are about HD failure or other issues.

Quote:
The PC is also down right now since I had to send back my PCV 500 Hauppage card. Terrible signal on some channels, but some were ok. Maybe I just have a bad card. After months of PC headache, the Tivo is nice (only one week of cable card SDV headache...)
Hauppage sent me back a working PVR 500 MCE card and it works very well in Beyond TV to make two simultaneous SD Mpeg 2 recordings. All my quality problems are gone now, just the HD stability issue on the HTPC. For about the same cost, I think I would still try the HDHomerun instead of the PVR 500 card.

Funny thing is, with a Slingbox on the Tivo running to the HTPC, my wife likes to just watch the Tivo in the bedroom. Slight loss of quality, but it simplifies reconciliation of the to-do list since the HTPC and Tivo don't communicate. So maybe the Tivo will be hers and I can fill the HTPC up with Sci-Fi and animated comedies... I would like to expand the HD on the Tivo, but I am waiting on a blessed 1 TB drive to come out for the Tivo HD. They can't suppress it forever, can they?
Slingbox AV, Wii Details:
Old 01-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #1005
JimWall

Here is some good news. In Mason Oh (near cincinnati) My Tivo S3 started working with Time Warner HD channels which before were only showing a Pay Per View advertisement. Channels were added last fall (espn2 hd, tbs hd, history hd and a couple others). I assumed they were not working because of SDV. Last week the channels were working on one and not the other S3. I rebooted the other S3 and next day they were also working on it. I called time warner cable to find out what changed and whether it was permanent. The customer service person didn't have a clue but I guess they moved the channels from SDV to the normal. Maybe there were enough FCC complaints but who knows?
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #1006
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWall View Post
Here is some good news. In Mason Oh (near cincinnati) My Tivo S3 started working with Time Warner HD channels which before were only showing a Pay Per View advertisement. Channels were added last fall (espn2 hd, tbs hd, history hd and a couple others). I assumed they were not working because of SDV. Last week the channels were working on one and not the other S3. I rebooted the other S3 and next day they were also working on it. I called time warner cable to find out what changed and whether it was permanent. The customer service person didn't have a clue but I guess they moved the channels from SDV to the normal. Maybe there were enough FCC complaints but who knows?
Similar experience as what I posted about here in Raleigh/Cary, NC several weeks ago. Of course I seem to be seeing a LOT of compression on some of the HD channels now so maybe there was an SDV hiccup and it's just a temporary work around. On some of the SD digital channels, I can even tell the frame rate has dropped (or effectively dropped) a bit.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #1007
PacketBoy

Caraleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
Similar experience as what I posted about here in Raleigh/Cary, NC several weeks ago. Of course I seem to be seeing a LOT of compression on some of the HD channels now so maybe there was an SDV hiccup and it's just a temporary work around. On some of the SD digital channels, I can even tell the frame rate has dropped (or effectively dropped) a bit.
What part of Raleigh / Cary is Caraleigh in? hahaha (-:
Old 01-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #1008
SCSIRAID

Perhaps its near Raleighwood?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #1009
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketBoy View Post
What part of Raleigh / Cary is Caraleigh in? hahaha (-:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Perhaps its near Raleighwood?
The part that's "in Cary" but has a "Raleigh zip".... Endless fun and excitement trying to give directions or deal with utilities/municipal services...
Old 01-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #1010
TimmyZ

Comcast TiVO vs TiVO HD

I've been watching and reading the "Comcast TiVO" thread over on the AVS boards, waiting for over a year now for Comcast to release their version of TiVO. And now that Comcast is finally rolling out their version, and reading all of the issues that people are having, it's got me wondering again - Comcast TiVO vs. TiVO HD.

The Comcast TiVO interface and features will never match the real thing. TiVO to Go, the Music interface, sharing between units. I'm tired of waiting, and I'm really worried that it will be a much inferior product, when compared to the real thing. So I think I've talked myself into wanting to purchase a TiVO HD.

My only concern is SDV. I've seen and read reports that Denver, CO (where I am) has started rolling out SDV. And as of yet, SDV isn't supported on TiVO hardware. It could be another year - and who knows, maybe even longer - before it is.

Can someone tell me which Denver channels (or areas) are SDV, and if Comcast is only using SDV to deliver new channels? I've read on Wiki, that an entire head end will deliver SDV, or not. Then I've read on this board, people talking about only certain channels that are switched. Now I'm confused. Which is correct?

I really hate this Comcast Motorola box with the IGuide - I want my TiVO... but I don't want to lose channels I watch either. Does anyone know, or can you point me toward a list of these channels?

Thanks!
Timm
TimmyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #1011
Brad Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post
Time Warner Cable SDV in 6 of 23 markets including
  1. Austin, TX
  2. Albany, NY
  3. Charlotte, NC
  4. Greensboro, NC
  5. Rochester, NY
  6. San Antonio, TX
TWC in Lincoln, NE, has several SDV channels as well.
Brad Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #1012
vstone

I suspect that the TWC SC system is also SDV.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #1013
Talkincat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Smith View Post
TWC in Lincoln, NE, has several SDV channels as well.
TWC in Milwaukee also has a ton of SDV channels. 6, I think. Among basic cable channels that are available in HD, I believe more are SDV than aren't.
Talkincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #1014
gatzke

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstone View Post
I suspect that the TWC SC system is also SDV.
I suffer from SDV in Columbia, SC. About half my "free" HD programming is not available on the Tivo HD and 1/4 of my paid HD tier channels are SDV.
Slingbox AV, Wii Details:
Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #1015
sidsub

TWC in Austin, TX just added 7 or 8 new HD channels. They're of course all SDV (in addition to several HD channels that were already that way). I want that tuning resolver now!!!
sidsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #1016
Nugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidsub View Post
TWC in Austin, TX just added 7 or 8 new HD channels. They're of course all SDV (in addition to several HD channels that were already that way). I want that tuning resolver now!!!
I'd love to drop my DirecTV and switch to cable but living in Austin I'm pretty much stuck until there's an SDV solution.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #1017
cdp1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidsub View Post
You and me both!! They are starting to roll out more HD content in my area too and they are all SDV. Here is our current list of the following are now SDV on TW Rochester:
1015 MTV HD
1037 A&E HD
1049 TBS HD
1053 ESPN2 HD
1054 Universal HD
1055 National Geographic HD

Do we have a status on the TiVo dongle that is suppose to resolve this?

As you can see I have a growing list of channels that I can't get. It is good to see the TiVo S3 now knowing which channels are SDV and giving us a blue bar saying channel not available in your area.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/roche...cablecard.html
Old 02-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #1018
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

The OpenCable Tuning Resolver Interface Specification is now public. Enjoy, tech-heads .

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #1019
bicker
Gruff

I wonder what the significance is of the specification just being released. Does this provide any more insight into the timetable (i.e., "not soon")?

Old 02-01-2008, 12:23 PM   #1020
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
The OpenCable Tuning Resolver Interface Specification is now public. Enjoy, tech-heads .

Love this:

Quote:
3 TERMS AND DEFINITIONS
This specification uses the following terms:

CableCARD™
A PCMCIA card distributed by cable providers and inserted into a Host device to
enable premium services in compliance with the OpenCable specifications, also called
“Card” and “Point of Deployment” (POD) module.

POD Module
Point of Deployment Module (a.k.a. CableCARD)
Nice circular reference. Efficient.