TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-02-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
Ingersoll

Question When did TiVo start pop up ads?

I finished watching Wednesday's episode of The Colbert Report and at the end of the recording, along with options to "Delete now" and "Keep this recording" was a third banner with a gold star and a small picture along with the title "Discover the new Hyundai Veracruz" It just popped up at the end of the program...

Did I miss another memo?
Ingersoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

I dunno -- 3 months now?

Low impact to my viewing, OK with me if it helps their bottom line.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
Ingersoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry
I dunno -- 3 months now?

Low impact to my viewing, OK with me if it helps their bottom line.
Same here, just the first time I saw them
Ingersoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I've never seen it
Old 07-03-2007, 05:29 AM   #5
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

It's been a couple months, but I've seen that particular ad a few times this week, I guess they're starting to ramp up ad sales.

Hope it helps the bottom line, it really doesn't bother me since it's at the bottom of the list.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:41 AM   #6
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingersoll
Same here, just the first time I saw them
there was the usual thread of indignation 2 or 3 months ago when the memo came out I have seen them sporadically since then.

and this use actually points to why Tivo calls them billboard ads since it is not a pop up but a billboard graphic added to the finished watching screen. It stays within my threshold of not making me change the way I interact with the TiVo unless I choose to check out the ad so not much mention has been made in the forum since the initial sightings.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
magnus
Tivo User

Yep, doesn't bother me either. I thought they were going to do this for the SuperBowl... as that's about the time I remember the announcement.

If they're trying to increase the bottom line that would be the way to do it. Sell one ad at for just the SuperBowl and that might pay for the whole year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies!
It's been a couple months, but I've seen that particular ad a few times this week, I guess they're starting to ramp up ad sales.

Hope it helps the bottom line, it really doesn't bother me since it's at the bottom of the list.

magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #8
WhiskeyTango

I'm really surprised Tivo isn't doing this more often. I've only seen maybe 3 of these since they started rolling them out. Haven't seen one in at least a month or more now. It wouldn't bother me if they had one of these ads on every recording if it would help ensure Tivo stays around for a long time.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:03 AM   #9
jmoak
Beware of Conky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
...and this use actually points to why Tivo calls them billboard ads since it is not a pop up but a billboard graphic added to the finished watching screen.
Yeah, but referring to them as popups makes them sound more ominous and evil. Who's gonna get upset over "a billboard graphic added to the finished watching screen"?

Calling them "PopUps" brings to mind a malware infested Internet Explorer session where these annoying windows keep popping up getting in your way of actually using the browser.

It's an ad on a tivo! No matter how unobtrusive, it must be portrayed just as evil-ly as possible.

We are talking about "Evil Tivo" here!

( = silly, humorous sarcasm - For external use only. Not to be taken internally. If rash develops, discontinue use.)
jmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #10
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoak
( = silly, humorous sarcasm - For external use only. Not to be taken internally. If rant develops, discontinue use.)
FYD
Old 07-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #11
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango
I'm really surprised Tivo isn't doing this more often. I've only seen maybe 3 of these since they started rolling them out. Haven't seen one in at least a month or more now. It wouldn't bother me if they had one of these ads on every recording if it would help ensure Tivo stays around for a long time.
Rest assured if advertisers thought they were worth anything they would buy more. Their infrequency is a testament to their value.
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #12
Atomike

Just to have some balance here, I must admit that I absolutely hate these ads. I find them to be the opposite of TV my way. They are one reason I actively tell others not to buy a Tivo.

Note that this IS my opinion on the matter, and no amount of name calling or hatred directed toward me will change it (I know this forum well).
Atomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #13
bicker
Gruff

These ads seem well-placed to have some positive impact. I don't mind them at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #14
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

I see it as an offer for an ad. Not an ad in itself. There are no additional ad screens to navigate through, just some real estate on an existing screen given over to a star ad. NBD.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #15
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomike
Just to have some balance here, I must admit that I absolutely hate these ads. I find them to be the opposite of TV my way. They are one reason I actively tell others not to buy a Tivo.

Note that this IS my opinion on the matter, and no amount of name calling or hatred directed toward me will change it (I know this forum well).
This has been debated ad nausiam. To summarize my observations there is a sizable camp of those who detest these ads (you and I are members of that one). We won't click on an ad. A larger group of those who find them unobtrusive but don't click them either, and a small camp of those who actually welcome them and do click on them occasionally.

Bottom line - they're a tough sell to advertisers which is why there are so few of them.
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK
This has been debated ad nausiam. To summarize my observations there is a sizable camp of those who detest these ads (you and I are members of that one). We won't click on an ad. A larger group of those who find them unobtrusive but don't click them either, and a small camp of those who actually welcome them and do click on them occasionally.

Bottom line - they're a tough sell to advertisers which is why there are so few of them.
yes, but perhaps today you and AtomMike helped get some people to click on them out of curiosity.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #17
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry
I see it as an offer for an ad. Not an ad in itself. There are no additional ad screens to navigate through, just some real estate on an existing screen given over to a star ad. NBD.
+1.

Most of the ones I have seen point to the same "star ad" that appears on Tivo Central.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK
Rest assured if advertisers thought they were worth anything they would buy more. Their infrequency is a testament to their value.
I would click on these if they pointed to full length movie trailers or unconventional ads...things you would not normally see on regular television.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:40 AM   #18
magnus
Tivo User

The problem is really that Tivo does not market this well. I would try to get an exclusive SB commercial to jump start this. I might even offer it for free the first year to the company that has the most creative ad (and the exclusive right to show it). I would think that having the exclusive would not only draw interest to Tivo but for next year they could get companies to pay top dollar for the slot.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #19
Atomike

Quote:
When you're on the internet, and you see a "click here!" banner, these are apparently not ads, nor bother anyone here - since they are merely an offer for an ad, and not an actual, real, genuine ad, which would bother you. To summarize, actual real ads are bothersome, while offers for ads are great and we love them. Thanks. Glad that everyone here isn't crazy.

Last edited by Atomike : 07-05-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Atomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #20
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomike
When you're on the internet, and you see a "click here!" banner, these are apparently not ads, nor bother anyone here - since they are merely an offer for an ad, and not an actual, real, genuine ad, which would bother you. To summarize, actual real ads are bothersome, while offers for ads are great and we love them. Thanks. Glad that everyone here isn't crazy.
banner ads on web pages - mildly annoying but only because they force me to scroll down more often than otherwise and they are animated and thus distracting.
billboard ads on TiVo - out of the way and static
Old 07-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #21
bicker
Gruff

And banner ads are in no way near as annoying as those websites that make you go through a full page ad and an extra server-swap to get to the content you were aiming for.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote