TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
UCLABB

Best advice for "controlling" suggestions?

Now that I got the new Premiere software update, "suggestions" is going nuts- pretty much recording something all the time. I may be forced to just turn it off, but a couple of programs populated that might be worth looking at. What's the best way to limit it? I note that under the how to improve suggestions there is a list of many programs that I have recorded in the past with thumbs up or down- how they determined the thumbs rating I have no idea, certainly not from me. What takes place if I get rid of all the thumbs up programs? Will this slow the roll?
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Um, the recording of suggestions will continue until your drive is full. That's what they do.

Once you are full, and something is scheduled to record, first deleted items will be cleared, and then then suggestions, oldest to newest.

Suggestions are not included in the calculation of free drive space, since they are literally just free "filler".

Stuff you have made season passes for get one thumb up. This way you get some suggestions that aren't completely random. Nothing automatically that I have seen auto gives down thumbs.

So, your choices are to vote on more stuff to help it decide what to tape, leave it be and ignore it, or turn off suggestions if they irritate you.

The only real downside that I can think of to leaving them on is if you have mini(s) that want tuners and suggestions are tying them up. Well, I guess it also accelerates the clearing of deleted items once you get near full, if that is a concern <shrug>

Edit to add: if you clear thumbs, you'll just get random suggestions.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
how they determined the thumbs rating I have no idea, certainly not from me.
Even if you've never touched that green thumbs up button, you've been rating everything you record because everything you record gets an automatic thumbs up. A thumbs down has to come from the user, there is just no other way for it to happen.

Other than turning off Suggestions completely, you could essentially start over by doing a 'Clear Thumbs Ratings & Suggestions'
Old 11-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

Anything you ask the tivo to record gets a thumbs up. Once in a while, it makes sense to go through the list and reset things, or prioritize items, but no need to really limit them as it has no negative impact on your season passes, wishlists, and manual recordings.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

As the others have said, the suggestion engine lives to serve you and it's job is to fill the drive with things you might want to watch, much like a dog, it just wants to make you happy.

The best way to train it is to go in and start giving some thumbs up and more importantly down, so it starts to learn what you don't want. Another tip is don't go nuts with multiple thumbs, singles are light, doubles are " I'd strongly prefer you do/dont give my more of this" and triples are " more more more! or never show me again!"
Old 11-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
UCLABB

Thanks everyone. Yes, I do have a mini and that is an issue. I'll try and train it by giving some thumbs down.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
As the others have said, the suggestion engine lives to serve you and it's job is to fill the drive with things you might want to watch, much like a dog, it just wants to make you happy.

The best way to train it is to go in and start giving some thumbs up and more importantly down, so it starts to learn what you don't want. Another tip is don't go nuts with multiple thumbs, singles are light, doubles are " I'd strongly prefer you do/dont give my more of this" and triples are " more more more! or never show me again!"
Also, you need to remove any channels in your channel list that you donít want or care about. This includes your low-def channels, non-english channels, any HD channels that you donít care about, E, Golf Channel, Lifetime, Fox News, just all the HD channels you donít want. Then use the thumbs as Diane suggest.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote