TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
bgthom01

Considering "Upgrade" - Need advice

I've had an HR-10 250 for years. Love the Tivo interface and use an OTA for locals. I briefly tried my local cable company's Motorola DVR and had them come take it away. It was terrible.

Now I'm moving from Louisville to St. Louis and everyone is trying to get me to "upgrade" to the new DVR, install a KAKU dish so that I can get HD locals off the sat. The equipment would be free with a one year commitment but I'm thinking about staying with what I've got. (Triple LNB with OTA and HR10-250)

Thoughts?
Thanks --Brad
bgthom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
classicsat
Astute User

Do you want HD from DirecTV long term? If so, get their 5-LNB dish and HD receiver or DVR. If you want HD locals form sat, you need the ablove, the HR10-250 won't get them.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
wolflord11
Lord of Darkness

As classicsat has said, to get HD you will need the newer DVR. The HR10-250 does not receive HD.

Why not get the "Free Upgrade" - KAKU 5LNB Dish and Newer DVR Unit, but also keep your HR10-250 unit. That way, you will not only have HD, but still have the Tivo interface on the older unit.

And who knows, maybe you may find the user interface on the newer unit good to
TiVo Desktop on 4 XP Pro Computer Systems
wolflord11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
bgthom01

My understanding is that if I get the KAKU then my HR10 will not work on that - is that true?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
rlj5242

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgthom01
My understanding is that if I get the KAKU then my HR10 will not work on that - is that true?
The HR10-250 sees the new dish as a Phase 3 dish. It will work just like it does now with your current dish.

-Robert
rlj5242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
bgthom01

If I choose to set up the KAKU dish and go with the new DVR and don't like it - would I be able to attach an OTA and go back to my HR10 with OTA for locals?

You guys are making me lean towards the KAKU with the DirecTV DVR and HD locals via sat.
That would mean trying to live without my Tivo.....
Old 06-25-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
If I choose to set up the KAKU dish and go with the new DVR and don't like it - would I be able to attach an OTA and go back to my HR10 with OTA for locals?
You guys are making me lean towards the KAKU with the DirecTV DVR and HD locals via sat.
That would mean trying to live without my Tivo.....
Yes, no problem.

Good luck with your choice. I have two of the new boxes and would go back to the HR10 if I could get OTA locals, but it's your choice and your decision. At least you'll get the chance to compare for little or no cost.
TonyTheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
The equipment would be free with a one year commitment but I'm thinking about staying with what I've got. (Triple LNB with OTA and HR10-250)

Thoughts?
Thanks --Brad
Are you sure it is a one year commitment? They bumped it up to two years a while back.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #9
bgthom01

Well...thinks seem to have changed once the installer got here. Now the HD receiver is free but the HD-DVR is $199. Not worth it to try to me....

And yes - that deal above is one year