TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
david@bland4d.co

Unable to begin Tivo Desktop Element not found

I am getting this error when trying to start the Tivo Desktop. It was working fine with the beta version....I uninstalled, shutdown, restarted Tivo, started PC, re-installed.
I completed this with the Beta, and the full version of 2.4

If this has been discussed, I apologize. Please help, or point me in the right direction.

David
david@bland4d.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

After you uninstall, try going through the Windows registry and removing and references to TiVo Desktop you can find (if you've upgraded to Plus, make sure you know your Plus key because you'll have to re-enter it).

Also, try deleting the TiVo Desktop cache if it's not removed by the uninstall. It's under C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop\Cache.

Finally, make sure you're not specifying a root folder for your My Recordings location (i.e., D:\ as opposed to D:\TiVo). I saw that "element not found" error once when I tried that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
david@bland4d.co

I removed the program....deleted all folders used for the storage/cache. I did change the view setting to show hidden files and folders. I cleaned out references in the Document and Settings folder. I emtied the recycle bin. I then shutdown the computer. I then ran a program called registry mechanic. I went through the registry to clean out any references. I shutdown again, then ran the mechanic program.

Reinstalled the program and it works!!! Thank you!!

David
david@bland4d.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
windracer
joined the 10k club

Glad I could help out.

|
Old 08-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
psturm

Cache on a Vista System

Do you know what the cache is on a vista system?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
windracer
joined the 10k club

I don't have Vista, but from what I've read the old "Documents and Settings" was replaced by "Users" so poke around in that folder. Or do a search for "Cache" and see if it comes up.

|
Old 08-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
psturm

I found it

I found it on the Tivo Server Properties on the performance TAB.

I then has to set my system to show hidden files.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
psturm

It worked

I had to delete all the files in the cache folder and the cookies and history files in the Local\Tivo Desktop folder\

Once again thank you very much.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #9
sentient21

different fix

I have repeatedly run into this problem, and after implementing all of the various fixes out there, it kept coming back. I just fixed the problem by deleting the following files from C:\Documents and Settings\"username"\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop :
Cookies
History
Image Rotations
TransferQueue

It may very well be that I only needed to delete one of these files, so you may want to delete them one by one to see which one it is that fixes it.
Note: It may be wise to re-run the TiVo Desktop installer as well (don't remove it first, just run the setup program), selecting the "Repair" option instead of "Remove", just as a precaution. This will make sure that any necessary files TiVo Desktop needs are recreated. I did, and everything seems to be fine now.
~jd

sentient21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
Chas_M

I too was having problems installing version 2.5 or 2.5.1 in place of a working version of 2.3. I tried many of the fixes reported here to no avail. I always found some error preventing desktop from running.

In reviewing other similar posts here I found a reference to a software item from Tivo that makes "magic" happen. It is called Tivo Desktop Cleaner and is available on their Tivo web site. It is a very brief command file that purges all the unnecessary stuff that Desktop hides, but does not lose your media access code or the Plus update code.

The software may be found on TiVo's site - it is buried pretty deep under the Setup & Support page. The best way to find it is to use the Tivo Knowledge base and look for Desktop cleaner. Then work through the pages until you find a link atking you to the Desktop Cleaner download. It's some trial and error.

But it works for versions 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5 in Win XP (don't know about Vista)
Chas_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #11
Jiffylush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas_M
Worked great for me with Vista, got me past not being able to start the 'server'.
Jiffylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #12
KitTivo

Lightbulb Solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas_M View Post
I too was having problems installing version 2.5 or 2.5.1 in place of a working version of 2.3. I tried many of the fixes reported here to no avail. I always found some error preventing desktop from running.

In reviewing other similar posts here I found a reference to a software item from Tivo that makes "magic" happen. It is called Tivo Desktop Cleaner and is available on their Tivo web site. It is a very brief command file that purges all the unnecessary stuff that Desktop hides, but does not lose your media access code or the Plus update code.

The software may be found on TiVo's site - it is buried pretty deep under the Setup & Support page. The best way to find it is to use the Tivo Knowledge base and look for Desktop cleaner. Then work through the pages until you find a link atking you to the Desktop Cleaner download. It's some trial and error.

TivoDesktop suddenly stopped working for me. This desktop cleaner fixed everything.

It's on the Tivo Desktop 2.5 page.

Another useful note is that you can connect to your Tivo via your web browser.

The format is:

Quote:
In browser type:

https://<your tivo ip>/nowplaying/index.html

username: tivo
password: your MAK + parental password (if you got one)

Don't forget the s in https
Thanks for being here! We'll see if it also solves the problem I had of TivoDesktop crashing if my destination drive had less than 4 G on it while it was still transferring. It would also cause my Tivo box to reboot as well.

Tivo Series2, TCD 540040
Pioneer, DVD-RW, DVR-810H-S
KitTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #13
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

I'm running Tivo Desktop 2.3a on my S2 v6.2a and (believe it or not) Vista.

The server name that comes up on the TiVo screen appears to be the first 7 characters of my computer login name -- David R -- same for both music and pictures.

I found the cookies file and suspect that's the source of the name, but I don't know where to change it.

Can someone help?

Chebeague Island, Maine
There are 10 kinds of people, those who count in binary and those who don't.
PortlandPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #14
windracer
joined the 10k club

Do you happen to have a period in your name in Windows? There's been a bug in TiVo Desktop for quite some time where a period in the name causes it to stop listing the full name.

So, for example, if my Windows name (not login) is Bob C. Jones, my PC shows up on the TiVo NPL as "Bob C" but if I take out the period, it appears as "Bob C Jones".

I've never tried to actually change what appears there, though.

|
Old 01-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #15
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

That makes sense. But what is the "windows name?" And how do you change it? Is it the name you use for Microsoft Office?

Chebeague Island, Maine
Old 01-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #16
windracer
joined the 10k club

It's the user "description."

Go under Start - Control Panel - Users - pick your user and then Change My Name (this is under XP anyway).

|
Old 01-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #17
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

Thank you! Now my anal retentive compulsions are satisfied!

Chebeague Island, Maine
Old 01-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #18
windracer
joined the 10k club

Maybe they'll finally fix that "bug" in 2.6.

|
Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #19
mike_flood

I have tried all this and it has not worked.
What I need is something to do a "seek and delete" for everything concerned with Tivo Desktop.
TiVo support doesn't respond to inquiries.
And using the procedure on TV3 to diagnose errors doesn't list ports that are open or closed. It merely say "Failed" Big help that is.
But gosh. . .the Youtube access works great ! (BS)
Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #20
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_flood View Post
What I need is something to do a "seek and delete" for everything concerned with Tivo Desktop.
That's what the TiVo Desktop Cleaner does:

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...eshooting.html

|
Old 09-28-2008, 12:20 AM   #21
makalina

desktop startup error element not found

Tried everything I have seen in the thread...except when I go to the link for the Tivo cleaner, the page refers to it but gives no link. Am I missing something?
makalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:22 AM   #22
makalina

PS: running vista
Old 09-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #23
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by makalina View Post
Tried everything I have seen in the thread...except when I go to the link for the Tivo cleaner, the page refers to it but gives no link. Am I missing something?
The link to the Cleaner itself is about 3/4ths of the way down the page where it says:

Quote:
Follow the steps below to use the TiVo Desktop Cleaner utility to remove a previous version of TiVo Desktop.

1. Download TiVo Desktop Cleaner, locate the downloaded file TivoDesktopCleaner.zip, right click on the file, and select Extract All... to extract the files into a folder on the desktop.
The link is some sort of re-direct so I can't link to it directly.

|
Old 10-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #24
dah3

Easier Fix

I found I was able to fix the "Element not found" message merely
by removing all the files in the directory

c:\Documents and Settings\MY_USERNAME_HERE\Local Settings\Application Data\Tivo Desktop\Cache\

Note the c: drive is NOT where I installed the Tivo Desktop, apparently it keeps some
files on c: in any event.
dah3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #25
makalina

element not found

I was able to get a clean install and have had no problems until today. Worked fine last night. Today desktop will not start, with the element message. Why does this keep happening? How can I keep it from happening again?
Old 11-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #26
mike_flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
That's what the TiVo Desktop Cleaner does:

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...eshooting.html
I finally had a chance to come back here and check on the status of fixing "Unable to start. . . ."
I downloaded and installed the TiVo cleanup pieces. I didn't believe that it would solve my problem as I have TivoDesktop 2.6.2.

But it cleaned it up and I was able to reinstall the program and it's working fine now. I even still have access to all the .tivo files I had on the PC. I didn't have to re-enter the MAK. All is well. It sees both my Tivo 2 and Tivo 3

Thanks much