TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series 1 - UK
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

Global blocklist for wishlists

Ever been annoyed that your keyword wishlist picks up cartoons?

This script runs in the background, and cancels items from the todo list that match your blocklist.
Note it never cancels a seasonpass or manual recording, just wishlist recordings.

Example 1
You set a low priority wishlist for all films to keep a few films in now playing,
but you don't want "old" films.
Code:
/var/hack/blocklist.tcl -year 1970
(Never record films older than 1970)

Example 2
You have a wishlist for "Vampire", but don't want cartoons.
Block the "Animated" and "Children" genres by putting them in /var/hack/blockgenres.txt:
Code:
"Animated"
"Children"
(Never record wishlists that match Animated or Childrens programmes)

You can get a list of available genres by typing (for example)
Code:
 /var/hack/blocklist.tcl -listgenres 
or
/var/hack/blocklist.tcl -listgenres "A*"
There is a tivoweb module to help set up the title blocklist:
http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tiv...hreadid=153834
http://www.denali.org.uk/blocklist

It shares the blocklist config files from the above blocklist tivoweb module, so install that to setup your title blocklists,

or just add titles to /var/hack/blocklist.txt:
Code:
"The Lost World"
"Afro Samurai"
"Robot Wars"
(Those programmes are matched by wishlists, but I never want them to record)

It auto-backgrounds:
Code:
/var/hack/blocklist.tcl
logging goes to /var/log/blocklist.

# Version 1.3
Attached Files
File Type: zip blocklist.zip (3.4 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by mikerr : 12-12-2007 at 12:42 PM.
mikerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Pete77

I find Kids programs are the worst offenders in being accidentally picked up by my Wishlists. Or rather I notice the kids program offenders far more than any others because there is zero chance I will be interested in them.

On the other hand I have never used the Global Blocklist so far so I will have to get to grips with that too. I had perhaps gained the impression that it was only suitable for US Tivos as there seems to be no long term thread running about the Global Blocklist in Tivo UK.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
TCM2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete77
I find Kids programs are the worst offenders in being accidentally picked up by my Wishlists. Or rather I notice the kids program offenders far more than any others because there is zero chance I will be interested in them..
remove the kids channels for CIR, should block most of them.
TCM2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Pete77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM2007
remove the kids channels for CIR, should block most of them.
True. I leave them in the EPG purely for when my sister and young niece and nephew visit.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 AM   #5
realbigmike

So the .tcl automatically deletes what is outlined in the blocklist from the ToDo list?

Sorry for the dumb Q, but to install this I can copy it anywhere on the tivo and call it in the rc.sysinit.author?
realbigmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:43 AM   #6
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

Yes, thats exactly right.

You might want to also install the tivoweb module to easily set the config file.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
realbigmike

Looks like I have to pull my hard drive and edit rc.sysinit.author because blocklist.tcl hangs for me.
I ran it from telnet and it said:
Opening db
closing db
It seemed ok but didnt do anything to my ToDo list so I added it to rc.sysinit.author in hopes it would work. My tivo still starts but ftp, telnet, and TWP are down unfortunately. Maybe I had a different blocklist in my TWP than the one u have mikerrr.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
TCM2007

That will be caused by either a problem in how you edited rc.sysinit.author, or failing to background the command with an &
Old 10-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #9
realbigmike

It seems to be running fine but it does not delete any shows from the ToDo List.
Code:
master:/hack/scripts #
master:/hack/scripts # ./blocklist.tcl &
[2] 256
master:/hack/scripts #
master:/hack/scripts # Opening db
closing db
Opening db
closing db
Opening db
closing db
Opening db
closing db
Opening db
closing db
I have TWP installed in /hack/TivoWebPlus, not /var/hack is this the problem? Just a guess, I'm noob.
I opened up the tcl script and the only thing I found that may be wrong for me is
set blocklist [load_list "/var/hack/blocklist.txt"]
set blockpatt [load_list "/var/hack/blockpatt.txt"]

I store your blocklist.tcl in /hack/scripts/
Old 10-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

Those files are created by the tivoweb module,

check /var/hack/blocklist.txt actually exists.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #11
threadkiller
Dark side Nrth Devon

Quote:
Originally Posted by realbigmike
Looks like I have to pull my hard drive and edit rc.sysinit.author because blocklist.tcl hangs for me.
I ran it from telnet and it said:
Opening db
closing db
It seemed ok but didnt do anything to my ToDo list so I added it to rc.sysinit.author in hopes it would work. My tivo still starts but ftp, telnet, and TWP are down unfortunately. Maybe I had a different blocklist in my TWP than the one u have mikerrr.
your better of using Sandertons startup script editor, if you have Tivoweb, easier & safer than editing rc.sysinit.author directly

1 X 120Gig + 2 x 160Gig Tivo's + Turbonet + Sky Digital + Freeview + Tivoweb + Every module available until the novelty wears off, or my wife beats me :)
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:36 AM   #12
realbigmike

threadkiller, I looked up Sanderton's editor but it looks like you have fix it if your tivo wipes out /var/hack/ as it sometimes does.

Hackman has a nice easy module for editing it, but ftp and textpad works well too. But yeah, if you mess this it you have to pull the hard drive.

So back to blocklist.tcl . . . in /var/hack/ I do have the 2 files that were created and they are 0kb.

Just an idea- the blocklist.tcl should only run after a guide update is indexed, this is when tivo adds shows to the ToDo List and the block list. It seems excessive to run it every 10 minutes don't you think? It is a necessary service though, IMO.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #13
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

If those two files are empty (0kb), then there is nothing to block... what did you expect ?

Install the tivoweb module to set them up, or just add titles to block in /var/hack/blocklist.txt:

Code:
% cat /var/hack/blocklist.txt
"The Lost World"
"Afro Samurai"
"Robot Wars"
[etc]
%
IIRC the todo items "came back" after an hour or so (or maybe less),
thats why its set to every ten minutes. I should probably relook at that sometime.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
realbigmike

I have items in my blocklist in TivoWebPlus though. TWP2.0 comes with the blocklist already built in (ui_todo.itcl), is this not what you based this program on. I figured your tcl script would pick up on that and use the data. Did I misunderstand something ?

Looks like it is storing my blocklist data somewhere else because in ui_todo.itcl there is the line that is commented out tho:

#set blocklist [gbl_savefile "/var/hack/etc/blocklist.txt" $blocklist]

I haven't found where it is storing my blocklist data, the ones in /var/hack/ or /var/hack/etc/ were 0kb, empty files.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:02 PM   #15
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

so long as you have titles in /var/hack/blocklist.txt as in post 13, it should work.

Last edited by mikerr : 12-05-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:31 PM   #16
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

I've revamped this module quite a bit:

it now has the ability to block whole genres and older films.

See first post.

Last edited by mikerr : 12-05-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #17
alan_m_2004

Not sure what this error message meansH

Hello,

I've installed blocklist.tcl to both my tivos.

It seems to work fine on one, when I run it on the second I get;
/var/hack #blocklist.tcl
/var/hack/blocklist.tcl: proc: command not found
/var/hack/blocklist.tcl: return: bad non-numeric arg `[string'

I'm not to sure what that means.

Thanks in advance,

Alan.
alan_m_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #18
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

Have you edited the file maybe?
first line should be
Code:
#!/tvbin/tivosh

Old 03-12-2008, 09:49 AM   #19
alan_m_2004

Hi MikeErr,

That was one of the first things I checked;

/var/hack #less blocklist.tcl
WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
blocklist.tcl (press RETURN)
#!/tvbin/tivosh
#
# Blocklist.tcl v1.3
#
# Removes wishlist items from the todo list based on blocklists

Reading through the tcl code I can't see any obvious calls to external commands . Are there any dependencies on other programs?

Thanks in advance (and for providing such programs)

Alan.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #20
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

"proc" is a tcl command, so its trying to run it as a shell script, not a tcl script.
Re upload it in binary mode maybe?

This hack doesn't have any dependancies on any other programs.
It does expect to see some entries in /var/hack/blocklist.txt, or it won't actually block anything ...
Old 03-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #21
alan_m_2004

Thanks - will try reloading it at weekend when I have a little more time

Thanks - will try reloading it at weekend when I have a little more time
Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #22
Pete77

So what should be in the blockpatt.txt file if anything then mike? Or is this data only generated by your tcl blocklist program for its own purposes?

Last edited by Pete77 : 03-03-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Pete77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #23
Pete77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete77 View Post
So what should be in the blockpatt.txt file if anything then mike? Or is this data only generated by your tcl blocklist program for its own purposes?
Answering my own question I notice that the blockpatt.txt file is referred to in the amended To Do module functionality and blocklist editing features added by Denali's xlist.itcl module

blockpatt.txt according to the Tivoweb module seems to relate to specific episode titles in a series that you want to block rather than blocking the whole series by putting the series name in blocklist.txt?

I think that's right but this thread makes no mention of the purpose of blockpatt.txt or what should be in it

Also are episodes listed in blockpatt.txt actively blocked by Mike's tcl application or not or do they only get ticked for deletion in the To Do list as Denali originally intended?

Last edited by Pete77 : 03-03-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Pete77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #24
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

From the tivoweb module:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blocklist tivoweb module
Entries in the Blocking Patterns (right) are compared against episode names and descriptions in the same lists,
Entries in this list may include the wildcards ? for matching any character and * for matching any string; locical AND combinations may be expressed as \"string1+string2\"
Entries on this list are NOT case-sensitive and there are implicit * wildcards around the patterns when
matching against the lists.

If spaces are required in an entry or pattern then the string should be enclosed by quotes, otherwise
it will be interpreted as multiple single-word entries. If the entry is a single word or spaceless string then the quotes may be ignored; they will be added automatically when saving.
I did keep support for those in this standalone version (using blockpatt.txt)
but TBH an exact title match (blocklist.txt) and/or genre match (blockgenres.txt)
is more than enough for my usage.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #25
Pete77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerr View Post
I did keep support for those in this standalone version (using blockpatt.txt) but TBH an exact title match (blocklist.txt) and/or genre match (blockgenres.txt) is more than enough for my usage.
OK thanks for the confirmation.

There are a couple of series I have Wishlists for where I have now caught all the episodes currently made but the series is shown again once every few months. So I only want Tivo to record any new episodes of the series that are made. So this would be a way to achieve this by putting the titles of all currently made episodes in blockpatt.txt (whilst not having the series title in blocklist.txt).

Having said that I have a Season Pass and a Wishlist for the series in question so I would also need to delete the Season Pass too for this to work.

Am I right in thinking the correct use of this app is just to start it automatically at bootup from an entry in rc.sysinit.author.edit and it then runs every 10 minutes removing programs that meet the criteria from the To Do list - there is no need for regular cron jobs to run it? I would imagine the Tivo resource overhead is also probably quite small compared to SortNP?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #26
Pete77

Quote:
There is a tivoweb module to help set up the title blocklist:
http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tiv...hreadid=153834
http://www.denali.org.uk/blocklist

It shares the blocklist config files from the above blocklist tivoweb module, so install that to setup your title blocklists,
So if I add the words "Qualifying" and "Highlights" to the right hand column (episode descriptions) in the manual editor of the block files accessed from the User Interface/To Do list in TivoWeb will the Qualifying and Highlights programs for "Formula 1" on BBC One and BBC Three then be blocked but the Race program still recorded? I presume they won't be blocked if I use an SP for Formula 1 but will be if I only record Formula 1 using a Wishlist for "Formula 1"?

However at present in "To Do" the Formula 1 Highlights program on BBC Three seems to still be ticked for deletion by the Blocklist but has not actually been removed from the "To Do" list.

Do you have any ideas about this Mike?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #27
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

The tivoweb module and standalone program in this thread work differently, but share a config file.

The standalone module in no way affects SPs, only wishlists.

The tivoweb module does show effects on all todo items, not just wishlists, but any deletions are actioned manually by clicking in tivoweb.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #28
Pete77

Quote:
The standalone module in no way affects SPs, only wishlists.
Yes I do understand that.

Quote:
The tivoweb module does show effects on all todo items, not just wishlists, but any deletions are actioned manually by clicking in tivoweb.
I also understand that latter point.

However I now have a scenario where my Formula 1 programs on BBC One and BBC Three are recorded only by a Wishlist and there is no SP for the series on either channel, so my question remains if I have Qualifying and Highlights listed in the right hand "blocking patterns" column of the To Do blocklist editor will those words cause my Wishlist for Formula 1 to be blocked for episodes containing the words Highlights or Qualifying in the episode description?

It seems that this episode specific blocking is probably not happening based on tonight's BBC Three Formula 1 Highlights program having still recorded on my Tivo but if so is there any way that your standalone tcl utility can also be extended to block programs by reference to any keyword in the episode title or episode description?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #29
TCM2007

Ever think you might be better off just manually picking the showing of the race you want to record?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #30
Pete77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM2007 View Post
Ever think you might be better off just manually picking the showing of the race you want to record?
No. Definitely not. Surely I would have bought a dumb HD PVR if I had wanted to do that.

However it seems I may be better off to use Tivoweb to cancel the recordings I don't want to take place once a week or so and/or to delete the unwanted F1 recordings soon after they have taken place.

But like I said giving Qualifying, Race and Highlights a different SP would totally have covered the situation and allowed me to do what I want to do. This is something which Digiguide already makes possible with their F1 EPG data but it seems to be beyond the capabilities of Tribune.