TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-20-2007, 01:50 AM   #1
F8ster
The Very Last One

TrafficCam Viewer 2.01 Now Available

I've finally gotten around to releasing a new version of the TrafficCam Viewer, version 2.01. (Download - screenshots - documentation )

What's new in 2.01:
  • Better error handling and tolerance of network problems; added an error screen with more details when problems occur.
  • Rewrote sections known to cause problems for Macs (X11 display issue). Mac folks, you'll have to try this out and let me know if it actually fixes the problem.
  • Added random shift of viewing screen every minute to reduce burn-in issues.
  • Improved look and feel.
  • Added status message to initial screen indicating selected region and number of cameras.
  • Moved a number of items to the app-defaults file, making more settings user-editable. For example, in previous versions, the viewing times were hardcoded to 5.0 / 3.5 / 2.2 / 1.0 seconds. You may now edit the app-defaults.xml file and change them, if you're so inclined. These will likely be exposed in a configuration screen in a future version.
  • Added option in app defaults to allow camera images to always be maximized to fit in the display box.
  • Lots of internal stuff:
    • Rewrote all XML handling in Xerces (was in JAXB, and I finally reached the end of my rope with it)
    • Better logging, new formatter, less junk in the log files
    • Lots of refactoring; better class structure
    • Much smaller installer (now 664K) and smaller memory footprint

This version should be a lot easier for me to support if you do find problems. It was fragile in a few areas (XML handling, especially), so I was not exactly motivated to turn out new releases. I fixed a ton of that stuff, and my build/release cycle is now mostly automated so doing a new release isn't nearly as painful as it used to be. I now have ant scripts that'll completely build the installer, service wrapper, ZIP files, etc. -- it's pretty cool.

For the Mac/UNIX folks, I still don't have a good way to test this app for you guys, so please let me know if you're still having problems with it. I rewrote the section that was causing the X11 display errors, but I'm not completely convinced that the new code won't do the same thing. Worth a shot, anyway.

Note that JRE 1.5 or 1.6 is now required; 1.4 is no longer supported.
F8ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
ajayabb

Tried to run your application on s2 dt with windows and jre 1.6 with an error stating that server was not available

loFINE 05-20 19:27:07 [com.bitrazor.tc.TrafficCam.setUpLogging] Application startup ==============================
SEVERE 05-20 19:27:40 [com.bitrazor.tc.xerces.RegionMaster.parse] RegionMaster: parse: exception on http://bitrazor.com/tc/rm/100.0/RegionMaster.xml?53158
FINE 05-20 19:27:40 [com.bitrazor.tc.xerces.RegionMaster.parse] RegionMaster: parse: read 0 regions.
FINE 05-20 19:27:40 [com.bitrazor.tc.ErrorScreen.handleEvent] Event was not handled, letting super handle it.
FINE 05-20 19:27:40 [com.bitrazor.tc.ErrorScreen.handleEvent] Event was not handled, letting super handle it.
FINE 05-20 19:27:51 [com.bitrazor.tc.ErrorScreen.handleEvent] Event was not handled, letting super handle it.
FINE 05-20 19:27:51 [com.bitrazor.tc.ErrorScreen.handleKeyPress] Caught a key press, exiting.
FINE 05-20 20:05:03 [com.bitrazor.tc.TrafficCam.setUpLogging] Application startup ==============================
SEVERE 05-20 20:05:36 [com.bitrazor.tc.xerces.RegionMaster.parse] RegionMaster: parse: exception on http://bitrazor.com/tc/rm/100.0/RegionMaster.xml?46493
FINE 05-20 20:05:36 [com.bitrazor.tc.xerces.RegionMaster.parse] RegionMaster: parse: read 0 regions.
FINE 05-20 20:05:37 [com.bitrazor.tc.ErrorScreen.handleEvent] Event was not handled, letting super handle it.
FINE 05-20 20:05:37 [com.bitrazor.tc.ErrorScreen.handleEvent] Event was not handled, letting super handle it.
FINE 05-20 20:06:16 [com.bitrazor.tc.ErrorScreen.handleEvent] Event was not handled, letting super handle it.
FINE 05-20 20:06:16 [com.bitrazor.tc.ErrorScreen.handleKeyPress] Caught a key press, exiting.
FINE 05-20 20:34:53 [com.bitrazor.tc.TrafficCam.setUpLogging] Application startup ==============================
SEVERE 05-20 20:35:25 [com.bitrazor.tc.xerces.RegionMaster.parse] RegionMaster: parse: exception on http://bitrazor.com/tc/rm/100.0/RegionMaster.xml?94477
FINE 05-20 20:35:25 [com.bitrazor.tc.xerces.RegionMaster.parse] RegionMaster: parse: read 0 regions.
FINE 05-20 20:35:25 [com.bitrazor.tc.ErrorScreen.handleEvent] Event was not handled, letting super handle it.
FINE 05-20 20:35:25 [com.bitrazor.tc.ErrorScreen.handleEvent] Event was not handled, letting super handle it.
g
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
F8ster
The Very Last One

This is an indication that the following URL can't be reached:

http://bitrazor.com/tc/rm/100.0/RegionMaster.xml

This is typically due to one of two things:
  • Lack of internet connectivity from your PC
  • My server (bitrazor.com) is down

My server's hosted at a very high-end facility and is almost never down, so I suspect the first. Here's a way to tell:

When you run the app and get this message, can you go to the PC and bring up a browser to that URL? That's essentially all my app is doing -- accessing that page via HTTP from the PC on which it's installed. Give that a try and let me know how it goes. If it works from the browser but not from my app, I'd suspect something else (e.g. a proxy server or some other unusual configuration -- running in VMWare or Virtual PC, using Internet Connection Sharing, etc.).

BTW, I assume it's XP you're running; if not, let me know.

You can send me e-mail directly (admin22@bitrazor.com) if you want to take this off-thread. Thanks -- Dave
Old 05-20-2007, 11:05 PM   #4
rdrrepair
You can call me Bill

Thanks for the newer version.
Question: Why does my screen shift to the left now?

When viewing the picture it starts out ok and then the whole frame and all moves over to the left a few inches. It hasn't affected anything, but I thought you should know.

Windows XP
Old 05-21-2007, 12:31 AM   #5
F8ster
The Very Last One

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrrepair
Question: Why does my screen shift to the left now?
That's actually intentional. The intent is to reduce the possibility of burn-in by shifting the view around every minute or so by a few pixels.

If the behavior is annoying, you can turn it off by editing factory-defaults/app-defaults.xml and changing

Code:
    <RandomShiftAmount>40</RandomShiftAmount>
to

Code:
    <RandomShiftAmount>0</RandomShiftAmount>

Old 05-21-2007, 03:41 AM   #6
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8ster
For the Mac/UNIX folks, I still don't have a good way to test this app for you guys, so please let me know if you're still having problems with it. I rewrote the section that was causing the X11 display errors, but I'm not completely convinced that the new code won't do the same thing. Worth a shot, anyway.

Note that JRE 1.5 or 1.6 is now required; 1.4 is no longer supported.
Mac user here.

First, the Java issue. Here's what the Apple website says about the latest version available for the Mac:
Quote:
About Java for Mac OS X 10.4 Release 5
Java for Mac OS X 10.4, Release 5 adds support for the latest Daylight Saving Time (DST) and time zone information as of January 8, 2007, and delivers improved reliability and compatibility for Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 and Java 1.4 on Mac OS X 10.4.8 and later. This release updates J2SE 5.0 to version 1.5.0_07, Java 1.4 to version 1.4.2_12 and improves SWT compatibility for J2SE 5.0.
Does this version meet your requirements?

Next, the runtc.sh script: In the trafficcam folder, you renamed the "jars" folder as "lib" so I think the line "for jar in $(ls -1 jars); do" should read "for jar in $(ls -1 lib); do".

Once I make that change, the last script line, "echo $classpath" results in:
Code:
lib/bananas.jar:lib/hme-host-sample.jar:lib/hme.jar:lib/trafficcam.jar
However, the next line:
Code:
java -cp $classpath com.tivo.sdk.Factory com.bitrazor.tc.Trafficcam -i 192.168.0.104
results in
Code:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: main
If I change this to
Code:
java -cp $classpath com.tivo.hme.host.sample.Main com.bitrazor.tc.Trafficcam -i 192.168.0.104
I get
Code:
HME SDK 1.4 (TiVo, Inc.)
error: class not found: com.bitrazor.tc.Trafficcam
error: check the classpath and access permissions
Failed to instantiate any HME apps
Thus, no success so far.

Any advice? Thanks.

TiVo Series 3 (1TB internal; 1TB external)
SAT-T60 DirecTiVo (retired except to view archived recordings)
Burt Spielman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
ocntscha

Awesome F8ster! You're runtc.sh startup script needed some help but I put it in order, fired it up and then was looking at traffic cams on my Tivo with the very first attempt. Yay!

Yes, you did fix the X11 problem too!! I live in St. Louis and there's even a bunch more traffic cams listed now than last version.

I have to say, this thing is really neat, its got a high degree of wow factor.

As far as the runtc.sh..

Unlike the previous versions where you had a carriage return line feed pair at the end of each line, this version you've got a carriage return only at the end of each line. Getting closer, what we're looking for here guy is a line feed only at the end of each line.

You've gone from using a jars directory to a lib directory but runtc.sh is still written for jars directory.

I've got to bind to a specific interface. last version you told us to use --intf and the ip address. Burt and I both discovered that didn't work and we needed to use -i and the ip address. Well this version it does want --intf and can't deal with -i.

I'll attach my fixed up runtc.sh, maybe make it easier for Burt or any other Mac/Linux/Unix folks.

Thanks F8ster.
Attached Files
File Type: zip runtc.sh.zip (316 Bytes, 5 views)
ocntscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
SugarBowl

There's no Raleigh/Durham NC. I created an XML file for the area, but how do i test it?
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #9
rdrrepair
You can call me Bill

Question Where's RDNC's cameras?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl
There's no Raleigh/Durham NC. I created an XML file for the area, but how do i test it?
That's odd, I thought there was one before...
Old 05-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #10
SugarBowl

Exception in thread "JmDNS.SocketListener" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 4 >= 4
at java.util.Vector.elementAt(Unknown Source)
at javax.jmdns.DNSRecord.suppressedBy(Unknown Source)
at javax.jmdns.DNSOutgoing.addAnswer(Unknown Source)
at javax.jmdns.JmDNS.handleQuery(Unknown Source)
at javax.jmdns.JmDNS$SocketListener.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:24 PM   #11
Burt Spielman

Yes, it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocntscha
Awesome F8ster!
Agreed! ocntscha confirmed and codified my noodling around late last night; the final key was, indeed, --intf, not -i.

Worked perfectly the first time. Great job, F8ster.

Now, I note, in the Mac Terminal application, the following when TrafficCam Viewer is actually running:
Code:
HME SDK 1.4 (TiVo, Inc.)
LOG: added factory
MDNS: http://192.168.0.104:7288/tc/
LOG: 192.168.0.102 icon.png HTTP GET - to factory /tc/
2007-05-21 21:29:00.476 java[590] *** -[NSBundle load]: Error loading code /Library/InputManagers/MagicMenuEnabler/MagicMenuEnabler.bundle/Contents/MacOS/MagicMenuEnabler for bundle /Library/InputManagers/MagicMenuEnabler/MagicMenuEnabler.bundle, error code 2 (link edit error code 0, error number 0 ())
2007-05-21 21:29:00.491 java[590] *** -[NSBundle load]: Error loading code /Library/InputManagers/Menu Extra Enabler/Menu Extra Enabler.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Menu Extra Enabler for bundle /Library/InputManagers/Menu Extra Enabler/Menu Extra Enabler.bundle, error code 2 (link edit error code 0, error number 0 ())
LOG: HME receiver connected
LOG: unknown event opcode : 8
where 192.168.0.102 is my TV. If I exit TCV, Terminal displays:
Code:
LOG: connection to receiver closed
LOG: HME receiver disconnected
LOG: 192.168.0.102 icon.png HTTP GET - to factory /tc/
and I'm ready to log into TCV again. Just thought this verbiage might be of interest to you, F8ster.

Again, thanks for this nifty app!

Last edited by Burt Spielman : 05-21-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #12
F8ster
The Very Last One

Quote:
You're runtc.sh startup script needed some help but I put it in order
Thanks; both fixes have been checked in and there's now a 2.02 version with the changes.

Quote:
what we're looking for here guy is a line feed only at the end of each line
Fixed it in the build. I had a 50% chance of guessing correctly. You'd think I'd remember, I was a UNIX admin for like 5 years once upon a time. Shameful I don't even have a box around I can test with. (I did try running under DSL/QEMU on this machine and got to various intermediate states of success, but never got to where I wanted. Someday I'll get this machine dual-booting Linux.)

Quote:
last version you told us to use --intf and the ip address. Burt and I both discovered that didn't work and we needed to use -i and the ip address. Well this version it does want --intf and can't deal with -i.
This was due to a change in the SDK; --intf is now required by the latest version of the HME SDK, and older versions used -i.

Quote:
Thanks F8ster.
My pleasure. Thanks for the fixes.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:21 PM   #13
F8ster
The Very Last One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Spielman
Worked perfectly the first time
Yay, Burt's running! You are a patient soul, sir, and I appreciate you guys sticking with it.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #14
F8ster
The Very Last One

Quote:
Exception in thread "JmDNS.SocketListener"
Are you by any chance running Galleon? The 2.4 version is known to fix some issues around this error (port conflict with mDNS) and conflicts with other applications.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:35 PM   #15
F8ster
The Very Last One

Quote:
Easiest way is to send it to me (admin22@bitrazor.com) and I'll run it through the simulator real quick. Thanks -- Dave
Old 05-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #16
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8ster
Yay, Burt's running! You are a patient soul, sir, and I appreciate you guys sticking with it.
Thank you. And, lo and behold, it works in daylight, too!