TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
peter108

Tivo and Uverse

I'm a Uverse subscriber in Connecticut and decided after the 2 month trial to llok more seriously into Tivo compatability with the motorola VIP 1200 boxes. I went through the setup and was happy to see the lineup available and even though there were some issues with getting the full lineup, which Tivo took care of quickly I still couldn't get the IR transmitter to change the channels on the box. I received differeing opinions from both Tivo and ATT about this and ultimately found out from both Tivo and ATT thet the boxes are encoded to not allow a 3rd party device to change the channels. Tivo gave me a bunch of remote codes to try and none of them worked. I was told that Uverse users in different parts of the country were able to get their Tivos to work with their boxes but i wasn't told if they were the same boxes as we have in CT. Do any Uverse subs. from either CT or other parts of the country have any success getting their Tivos to work with Uverse? Is it reasonable to expect that Tivo might find a way around this (if there is a way around this). I like Uverse and it's cheaper, and after a month of reall bugs with the DVR it's working fine but is NOT a Tivo. I'm holding out hope I can get it all working together!
peter108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
classicsat
Astute User

The workaround, to my understanding, is for TiVo to add Uvers IR codes.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
loki2357

Tivo and Uverse solution

I have had many difficulties with this and to save everyone the trouble I went through with multiple calls to Tivo support, feel free to follow my instructions.

1) Tivo suggested I buy a stick on IR Blaster cable and actually gave me a month free to pay for it. The one I bought was suggeted by Tivo and is from Smarthome. Item number 8170S, "STICK-ON IR EMITTER". It was $5.99 + $9.99 shipping.

2) Under the Channel Changing settings for Tivo use advanced setup and select the following:
Code: 10081-B
Channel Change Digets: 2
Enter: No

3) Remove the face plate of the AT&T VIP1200 device. It just snaps off from the right and left edges.

4) Locate what I am calling the "False IR Target". This is the black blub in the black rectangle right of the red light. This is NOT where to position your IR emitter.

5) Instead you will direct the IR emitter between the power button and the USB port where the face plate snaps onto the device. It seems just wrong, though I'm telling you this is the position that works.

6) Over these holes place the IR emitter.

7) I was unable to get this to work without taking off the face plate. Ultimately, I ended up taping on thh IR emitter so it would not move, and covered the very bright green light with tape as well. Now all is well, except for the wired look.
loki2357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
peter108

I've got the same IR code and it now works great. The only thing to remember is to make sure the power is on on the cable box at all times.
peter108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:29 AM   #5
trooper638

Big Grin Thank You Forum

Finally, I got information that works regarding ATT UVERSE and TIVO compatibility. Our Series one worked without incident, however, our Series 2 would not change channels! That is until I removed the faceplate on the front of the VIP1200!!!
Thanks for the tip it seems to be working NOW!!! YEAH!!!!!
trooper638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
waynehazle
Wayne A. Hazle

OK I am just joining UVERSE, I know I had a IR blaster cable once many moons ago. is there anything I can do to get TIVO to record without one of these?
waynehazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
classicsat
Astute User

Set timers on both the Uverse box and TiVo. Have a Series 1 that has an IR blaster in the front.

Otherwise you need the IR blasters. You don't need TiVo's, just a compatible one
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:02 AM   #8
waynehazle
Wayne A. Hazle

Hooray!!!

I called TIVO and they gave me a zip code to use for UVERSE & it worked. I now have uverse channels in TIVO.

I set up the IR Blaster with the code from this thread and it works like a charm!

The final thing is for my TIVO netgear adapter to see the UVERSE wireless network in my home.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Is the channel lineup for your Uverse correct? I set up my Series 1 at my parent's house since they got Uverse. It looked like things were working but the channel lineup was slightly wrong. Specifically they didn't see Big 10 Network in the lineup at all, several channels were on wrong channel numbers. I submitted a lineup change about 2 weeks ago for my dad but TiVo never responded and nothing has been updated. I hoped they'd at least send him a progress report.

After all the hassle of getting the TiVo to even work with Uverse, we are so close to having it 100% except for the bad guide data. Both my parent's Series 2 machines I couldn't get the Uverse box to change channels, so I brought my Series 1 to their house and it worked on the first try.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
waynehazle
Wayne A. Hazle

Spoke too soon

I could have sworn the channel was changing, but I tried again last night and realized the channel does not is not changing. My guide information is great.

And like I said, the big problem is still that my TIVO does not see the wireless network from UVERSE
Old 11-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #11
lonestarjacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki2357 View Post
I have had many difficulties with this and to save everyone the trouble I went through with multiple calls to Tivo support, feel free to follow my instructions.

1) Tivo suggested I buy a stick on IR Blaster cable and actually gave me a month free to pay for it. The one I bought was suggeted by Tivo and is from Smarthome. Item number 8170S, "STICK-ON IR EMITTER". It was $5.99 + $9.99 shipping.

2) Under the Channel Changing settings for Tivo use advanced setup and select the following:
Enter: No

3) Remove the face plate of the AT&T VIP1200 device. It just snaps off from the right and left edges.

4) Locate what I am calling the "False IR Target". This is the black blub in the black rectangle right of the red light. This is NOT where to position your IR emitter.

5) Instead you will direct the IR emitter between the power button and the USB port where the face plate snaps onto the device. It seems just wrong, though I'm telling you this is the position that works.

6) Over these holes place the IR emitter.

7) I was unable to get this to work without taking off the face plate. Ultimately, I ended up taping on thh IR emitter so it would not move, and covered the very bright green light with tape as well. Now all is well, except for the wired look.
I am still having problems with the code, but I haven't been able to remove the faceplate. It seems to be loose at the top but is secure at the bottom and on the sides. I don't want to snap anything. Does anyone who has done this have advice on how to safely remove the faceplate? Are we talking about the entire front panel or only the dark plastic covering the lights?

TiVo is sending a new IR cable on the assumption that my old one isn't strong enough. But it worked okay with the old Comcast box a couple of days ago. Maybe the cover on the Uverse box is just too dark?
lonestarjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:34 PM   #12
waynehazle
Wayne A. Hazle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarjacket View Post
I am still having problems with the code, but I haven't been able to remove the faceplate. It seems to be loose at the top but is secure at the bottom and on the sides. I don't want to snap anything. Does anyone who has done this have advice on how to safely remove the faceplate? Are we talking about the entire front panel or only the dark plastic covering the lights?

TiVo is sending a new IR cable on the assumption that my old one isn't strong enough. But it worked okay with the old Comcast box a couple of days ago. Maybe the cover on the Uverse box is just too dark?
I am afraid of removing that faceplate. Perhaps the IR blaster that came with TIVO is not strong enough? Is there a better one I can buy at frye's or best buy that might do the trick?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
Chuli

Arrow Tivo and Uverse

I have Tivo Series 2. I just got Uverse. I am having problems changing the channels. I would like to know where I can get the IR Blaster?

Last edited by Chuli : 11-28-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Chuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
mrieves

Angry DON'T DO IT if you're on the fence about switching to Uverse

I would NOT switch to Uverse (if you love your Tivo Series IIs and don't like major headaches!!)

Time Warner cable finally made me mad enough to switch to Uverse. I love Uverse's TV picture quality (both HD and and regular digital) and the new wireless router they provide is good too. I'll also save about $35/month and I have about twice the number of HD channels.

The problem has come down to getting my two Tivo Series 2 working with the regular digital boxes from AT&T, the Motorola VIP1200. I've done almost everything recommended in this forum -- changing the IR codes, removing the faceplate, etc., but I still cannot get the channel to change. I just ordered two new Smarthome "STICK-ON IR EMITTER" (Item number 8170S) as my last hope.

Now that I've devoted almost 2 days to Uverse (6 hours for the service install from AT&T, 3 hours configuring my laptops and wireless printer with the new Internet access point, and at least 4-6 hours with my Tivos and online problem research), I'm not sure what I'll do if the new Smarthome "STICK-ON IR EMITTERs" do not work. I'll have to make the "Uverse or Tivo" decision...

The sad, sad, sad part of this is that I'm reading posts from almost a year ago and Tivo has not figured out a solution. Even if the solutions in this post do work eventually, WHAT A HACK JOB!

This I know: I would NOT switch to Uverse and do this again!!
mrieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #15
trony

This worked for me if anyone wants to try it. I have a VIP1200 set-top-box with a Tivo Series 2 DVR.

- Here are the settings for the IR code under advanced settings on the Tivo box.
Enter: Yes

- Place only a SINGLE IR transmitter between the USB port and the link light. The standard IR cable come with 2 transmitters. I am presuming using both transmitters sends duplicate commands, hence wrong channel changes.

That's it. Good Luck.
trony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #16
lonestarjacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrieves View Post
I would NOT switch to Uverse (if you love your Tivo Series IIs and don't like major headaches!!)

Time Warner cable finally made me mad enough to switch to Uverse. I love Uverse's TV picture quality (both HD and and regular digital) and the new wireless router they provide is good too. I'll also save about $35/month and I have about twice the number of HD channels.

Now that I've devoted almost 2 days to Uverse (6 hours for the service install from AT&T, 3 hours configuring my laptops and wireless printer with the new Internet access point, and at least 4-6 hours with my Tivos and online problem research), I'm not sure what I'll do if the new Smarthome "STICK-ON IR EMITTERs" do not work. I'll have to make the "Uverse or Tivo" decision...

The sad, sad, sad part of this is that I'm reading posts from almost a year ago and Tivo has not figured out a solution. Even if the solutions in this post do work eventually, WHAT A HACK JOB!

This I know: I would NOT switch to Uverse and do this again!!
I have had a similar experience. The problem is with TiVo engineering. First, they took too long to start working on the problem. Rather than tackle the problem, they tried to "wait and see" whether many people actually would go to Uverse. (That tells me that TiVo Product Management or R&D is simply not keeping up with the market. It is stupid to get caught by surprise when both AT&T and Verizon were clearly entering this market with purpose.)

When they got enough complaints, they started trying to address the problem. But whatever they are doing is insufficient. If other products had trouble controlling the Motorola box, then they could lay the blame on Motorola or AT&T. Since they can solve the problem and TiVo can't, they must employ someone who can understand the problem better than TiVo engineering.

TiVo,
Hire some consultants and address this problem before you lose more customers.
lonestarjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #17
kettledrum

Wow. This issue is just crazy. Here's my story.

I got hooked up on Friday and started messing around with getting TiVo to cooperate with the U-Verse boxes yesterday afternoon. I tried everything. I put the IR blaster right over the IR receiver, I tried it between the USB & the Link light, I tried it between the power button and the USB port. I tried it at all of these places at varying distances from the box, but to no avail. I tried using one blaster, I tried using both blasters in various positions. I was getting exactly zero response from almost all of these positions. If it wasn't for a partial channel change every once in a while I would have wondered if the blasters themselves were bad or I had them plugged into the TiVo incorrectly.

I then read up on here and also over at the uverseusers forums and took the faceplate off. It's just the narrow plastic piece across the middle of the front, NOT the entire front of the box. That didn't help at all either.

I then tried some other experiments. I found that you can cover the entire IR receiver hole and the U-Verse remote still works. You can cover the entire box with a flannel shirt and the U-Verse remote still works.

So I started holding the IR blaster in different places on the sides of the box and above the box and I found a place where it works! You'll never believe where it works for me.

I'm holding the IR blaster almost 3 inches above the box, with the emitter positioned at about the left edge of the first row of vent slots left/right, and about at the beginning of the middle vent slots in a front/back direction, while also holding the blaster at a 45 degree angle. I can also get good results by mirroring this position on the right side of the box. It appears to be VERY picky about this position. If I stray a little from this spot it stops responding consistently, and if I stray too much it stop responding completely. I also am using only one blaster. The other one is covered up.

There's no logical reason to me why this particular spot (and it's mirror cousin on the other side of the box) should work when everywhere else doesn't. Does this make any sense to anyone else?
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #18
kettledrum

Well translating that particular spot from me holding the blaster into something that works inside the TV cabinet has proven to be more difficult. I think there's a lot of reflection of the signal going on as it seems to work better with the doors open instead of closed.

I might try putting the box on top of the cabinet, but then I need to MacGyver something to hold the blaster up in that position. This is quite frustrating to say the least. I don't know why those other positions people have mentions have not worked for me. Maybe I should try it with one of my other Uverse boxes and see if it behaves any differently.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #19
obryankl

Quote:
Originally Posted by trony View Post
This worked for me if anyone wants to try it. I have a VIP1200 set-top-box with a Tivo Series 2 DVR.

- Here are the settings for the IR code under advanced settings on the Tivo box.
Enter: Yes

- Place only a SINGLE IR transmitter between the USB port and the link light. The standard IR cable come with 2 transmitters. I am presuming using both transmitters sends duplicate commands, hence wrong channel changes.

That's it. Good Luck.

Are you using the IR cable from TiVo? I got U-Verse about 2 months ago and spent forever fighting with the IR cables to work with VIP 1200 box. I was very upset when I couldn't use my TiVo anymore.

Also...do I leave the faceplate off of the cable box?

Last edited by obryankl : 03-11-2008 at 04:33 PM.
obryankl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #20
obryankl

Okay...it kind of works. Sometimes it enters the right channel and sometimes it only types like the first 2 numbers or the last 2 numbers (of the 3 digit channel). What gives?

Last edited by obryankl : 03-11-2008 at 07:19 PM.
obryankl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:11 AM   #21
comador

See my thread here: http://www.uverseusers.com/component.../topic,6803.0/

I opened the VIP1200 and VIP1216 to see where the IR Sensor is. I found out that the IR sensor is quite cheap, but it can be worked around.

Instead of using the TiVO supplied IR cables, I bought an IR Blaster for $12 and then used some double sided tape to point directly at the port on the front.

I also use the following IR code:

10081-A

10081-A and B work, but A seems to have worked best for me.

Hope this helps!
comador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #22
pcar1947

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by comador View Post
See my thread here: http://www.uverseusers.com/component.../topic,6803.0/

I opened the VIP1200 and VIP1216 to see where the IR Sensor is. I found out that the IR sensor is quite cheap, but it can be worked around.

Instead of using the TiVO supplied IR cables, I bought an IR Blaster for $12 and then used some double sided tape to point directly at the port on the front.

I also use the following IR code:

10081-A

10081-A and B work, but A seems to have worked best for me.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for this post. 2 questions.

1) Do you have the name of the IR Blasters that you purchased?

2) How is your uverse hooked up. CAT5 or CATV?

I am in my 30 day free trial and have about 25 days to make a decison. My wife love our TIVO's and TIVO integration is the only major stumbling block.

So any response will help
365 Hour w/SATA Drive Pioneer DVD 810h TIVO
All Lifetime and 1 Wired and 2 Wireless
Galleon 2.5.1
Sling Box
pcar1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:55 PM   #23
GDBozo

Recording frustration! (Uverse & Tivo at odds?)

We are using a Tivo Series 2 and the AT&T supplied VIP1200 box. The frustration follows when we return home expecting to enjoy a recorded Season Pass program and find that all that we've recorded is a sorta-kinda screen-saver looking blue screen that says: PRESS OK TO RETURN TO ATT&T UVERSE. Tivo has dutifully recorded whatever signal is passed to it from the ATT&T Uverse box, but the signal does not contain our show(s)!!
Occasionally, a program will have been only partially recorded and the screen/signal will 'flip' to the aforementioned damned Blue Screen.
There is no rhyme or reason to this no-signal recording. I've recently gotten in the habit of turning on the TV in the AM to check our status. Sometimes 'blue screen', sometimes the regularly scheduled programming.
Any DVR's main purpose (to my view) is to record that which one cannot view in its original broadcast time slot. Like archiving faves when vacationing.
A call to Tech Support at AT&T Uverse was even more frustrating when we were told that this set of conditions was simply a case of the AT&T supplied VIP1200 box 'timing-out' as a result of 'inactivity'. The lame suggestion was that because no commands of any sort had been received (change channel, volume up/down, etc.) in a given time window, the unit simply 'went to sleep'. Hmmm. While I find my ignorant self here begging for Help, I feel that this was NO answer, support, help, solution, or anything else but incompetence. But then, having gotten that off my chest, I find it bizarre that two communication industry giants cannot better collaborate to provide seamless service to their customers!!
Is there anyone out there who might be similarly affected, has a solution, or can provide at least a more reasonable explanation??
Thanks, we appreciate what help or moral support we can get.
GDBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:18 PM   #24
kettledrum

Welcome to the forum GDBozo :-)

Unfortunately, the situation you describe has been going on since the beginning of time. Well, maybe not, but it's at least been as long as I've had U-Verse a little over a year ago.

What tech support told you was true. There is some time limit...I don't exactly know how long it is....4 hours...6 hours...8 hours...where the U-Verse box will go into sleep mode if it doesn't receive any kind of input whatsoever. I think AT&T set up their boxes in this way to save on bandwidth. If the Uverse box is in standby then it's not receiving an IPTV stream from the mother ship, which takes up bandwidth.

All the Uverse box needs to stay alive is some kind of input. The act of the TiVo changing the channel to record is sufficient to keep the Uverse box up and running. What others have done is set up a manual recording to go every 4 hours or 6 hours or something for 5 minutes to keep everything going. I have found that my TiVos record suggestions often enough...even in the overnight hours...to keep the Uverse box alive. YMMV depending on how often your TiVo likes to record suggestions.

It is sad to think that AT&T can't provide an option to keep their box on all of the time, or for TiVo to program something to send an "ON" command to the Uverse STB before it tries to change the channel via IR. But nothing has happened yet, and i doubt it ever will. AT&T has no incentive to want to play nice with TiVo as they are competitors. :-(

I hope this helps! Also, take a look at www.uverseusers.com for a nice forum on uverse related stuff.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #25
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

To expand on what kettledrum says, I helped my dad out with this problem and now everything is working fine for him. What you need to do is set up a manual recording such that your TiVo is changing the channel at least every 6 hours.

It worked well for my dad to set up a season pass for the local nightly news at 10pm, then set up a manual 5-minute recording on The Weather Channel at 3AM. Set it to Keep at Most 1 so it won't take up much space. Then another manual 5-minute recording at 8AM, 1PM and at 6PM (all on different channels to make sure UVerse is channel changing and it thinks you're watching). If you prioritize these at the bottom of your Season Pass Manager, they will only happen if you aren't already recording something. If you are recording something, your season passes would take priority and would be changing the channel.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:34 AM   #26
Rob Mac K

Smile Success!

Just as an FYI, we replaced our lousy cable (Comcast) with U-Verse yesterday, and I'm happy to report that the U-Verse boxes work perfectly well in conjunction with our standalone Series 2 Tivos. We didn't get the Motorola boxes that seem to have trouble seeing the IR blasters, instead we have Cisco boxes and they have no problems whatsoever receiving the IR signals from the Tivo. The only catch is that you do have to tell Tivo that you have a Motorola box when it's trying to figure out how to change channels (Cisco is not a choice for some reason, but it works like a champ if you just tell it Motorola).

The only weird problem I encountered was when I was setting up the second Tivo, it seemed to have trouble picking up the video signal coming through the coax out of the box and into the Tivo. It worked fine when the Tivo was powered down, so I know there was nothing physically wrong with the setup. But when it got to the point that it asked "Do you see video in the background?" during Guided Setup, I wasn't getting anything, just a black background. Finally I disconnected the coax between the U-Verse box and the Tivo and just used RCA cables (yellow/red/white) and voila, it worked perfectly (still using coax between the Tivo and the TV - its an old TV so that's the only input it takes). Kinda weird because I have it all straight coax on the other Tivo and that worked like a charm with no problems whatsoever, so go figure.

Anyway, long story short, hooking up Tivo with AT&T U-Verse turned out to be much easier than expected, and everything is playing together perfectly so far.
Rob Mac K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #27
kettledrum

Welcome to the forum Rob Mac K!

Fortunately the issue with the IR and the Motorola boxes got resolved sometime back in May 2008. It did take a long time to get the issue resolved, but the IR issues are completely gone now. :-)

I believe there is a setting in the video settings of the TiVo that tells it what video input you are using. For some reason it disables the other inputs during guided setup. I found this out when I changed my setup and switched from using the RF input to using the composite (yellow) video inputs. The TiVo reported that there was no video signal. After I went through that video setup screen again, it searched for what input the video signal was on and after that all was well. I don't know why all of the inputs are always "live".
Old 07-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #28
daschell

VIP1200 and TiVo

Here in Manitoba we don't use UVerse, but MTS, our TV provider does use the Motorola VIP1200 and VIP1216. I have both.

My intention was/is to use the 1200 to record SD programs and the 1216 to record HD programs (the 1216 has a 160GB hard drive, while my TiVo has a 500 GB hard drive). After searching the web and finding that the IR sensor location is at the Power button, everything seemed to be fine. The IR blaster pair that came with my TiVo series 2 DT works just fine to change channels.

Then I ran into the screensaver problem.
Thank you to those of you who worked out a solution to that one.
I will now program a short recording every 4 hours.

The tech support people from MTS told me the screen saver cuts in every 6 hours in order to save bandwidth.

Dave S.
daschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #29
Quantum Panda

Can you use both TiVo and U-Verse DVR?

I've been searching back threads on U-Verse, since we're considering switching to it (the missed channel changes on our Insight box are getting worse every day). Am I correct in my understanding that currently, there are no major issues with using a TiVo Series 2 with U-Verse?

I'm trying to get some understanding of how the setup works with the U-Verse DVR. Does the U-Verse DVR pass-through the main signal to the TiVo? Does that signal pass through even when the DVR is set to record something else? That is, can I have TiVo changing channels and recording programs and have the U-Verse DVR recording other channels at the same time?

Forgive me if my thoughts are confused; I've been trying to figure out whether these would work together and so I'm quite confused.
Quantum Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #30
Bobola

Thumbs up U Verse/Tivo Issues Fixed?

Like many others I am considering switching to U-Verse. I do not have cable (I have Dish) but we have been having problems with it lately and I like some of the channel options on U-Verse better. However, I do not want to loose all the great features (and the massive hard drive on my TivO) Before I do so I want to make sure all the Motorola IR channel switching issues are resolved. I read the thread and they seem to be. Should I request a particular Motorola series?

Thanks for all your help. It was amazing to see the creative ways you all got to work. What a great on-line community! You guys have helped me out numerous times over the years!

Bobola
Houston, TX
Bobola is offline   Reply With Quote