TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #91
jetjock34

Please note..... the above is a question.

Thanks
jetjock34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #92
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock34
Just plug both into a usb port, power them up, boot the computer with the aforementioned bootable cd, and run the command line??????
WooHoo.

Great thanks. I have two external cases that take SATA and USB!

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #93
jetjock34

Sorry... I was asking the question... not telling you it would work. I need the answer also. I problem I see is that the drive already in the TIVO may not be usb capable. Was not an issue when I purchased it so odds are it is not.

Can anyone verify the abbreviated procedure I attempted to summarize (as a question) above?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #94
spike2k5

Quote:
Just plug both into a usb port, power them up, boot the computer with the aforementioned bootable cd, and run the command line??????
Internal drive itself does not have an usb port, so you will need an usb to sata adapter.
If you have an eSATA drive that also has an usb port, you can hook it up that way.

spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #95
jetjock34

and lastly, how do I power the tivo's drive? (assuming that I don't power up the tivo)

Thanks
Old 07-03-2007, 08:55 PM   #96
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock34
Sorry... I was asking the question... not telling you it would work. I need the answer also. I problem I see is that the drive already in the TIVO may not be usb capable. Was not an issue when I purchased it so odds are it is not.

Can anyone verify the abbreviated procedure I attempted to summarize (as a question) above?
OK exsperts, I have the internal Drive (uograded 500GB) and a 750 GB drive in an external enclosure that does USB and eSata. I also have a second enclosure that I can use for the internal drive. How do I do this? How to tell which is A and which is B?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 07-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #97
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs
...I have the internal Drive (uograded 500GB) and a 750 GB drive in an external enclosure that does USB and eSata. I also have a second enclosure that I can use for the internal drive. How do I do this? How to tell which is A and which is B?
If both enclosures are USB that is doable. The command cat /proc/partitions should give you the info you need to discern which drive is which if they are different sizes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci
You can also type the command pdisk -l /dev/sda and as I recall it came up with info that mentioned "Apple" (since Tivo uses an Apple partition map). I remembered that and so deduced that the drive connected to /dev/sda was indeed my internal Tivo S3 drive...

Last edited by jlib : 07-05-2007 at 01:33 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #98
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
If both enclosures are USB that is doable. The command cat /proc/partitions should give you the info you need to discern which drive is which if they are different sizes.
Thanks, I'll give it a try this weekend.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 07-24-2007, 10:33 AM   #99
wackymann

What if both of your drives are identical? I have 2 750 GB Seagate DB35s - same exact make/model. How can I figure out which is the old drive and which is the new?
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #100
jlib
Lean Forward

Use the pdisk method George Cifranci mentioned. It shows what kind of partition is on the drive.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:31 PM   #101
wackymann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
Use the pdisk method George Cifranci mentioned. It shows what kind of partition is on the drive.
Thanks - hopefully I'll get figure this stuff out tonight. I'm anxious to get my 1.5 TB Tivo up and running! 200 hours will be amazing.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #102
Lupin
Tivo Fan

This thread just popped up when I was getting ready to post with a similar topic, any update on this? And is there a real reason why I shouldn't just fork over $200 for the official one from WD?
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #103
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
This thread just popped up when I was getting ready to post with a similar topic, any update on this? And is there a real reason why I shouldn't just fork over $200 for the official one from WD?
It works using MFS Tools if that is what you mean. I have a 750GB internal drive in my Series 3 and I added another 750GB drive in a Antec MX-1 enclosure as well. The official eSata drive is only 500GB I think. You can get MFSTools here http://www.mfslive.org/

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #104
Lupin
Tivo Fan

Right, but I thought the point of this thread was about TivoHD for some reason not allowing you to have an upgraded internal drive and an eSATA one. And, yes its only 500GB but the price in and of itself is normal and having 80 hours of HD video is more then enough for me. I was really asking more about like speed or reliability compared to internal.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #105
wackymann

Internal is generally more reliable... My Antec/Seagate external gave me nothing but problems when it was hooked up to my Tivo (lots of "green screens of death"), so I divorced it and use it as a TTG/TTCB drive. It's been solid as a rock for that, and it still frees up disk space on my Tivo drive, so it's pretty much serving the same purpose I originally intended. I have a 750 internal and it is more than enough now that I can get shows off of it onto my PC.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #106
Lupin
Tivo Fan

Ok, so Im assuming that even on the Tivo HD you can use an upgraded internal in combination with an eSATA?
Old 01-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #107
chipbandit

upgrade and repair

I have a series 3 tivo and the 250gig internal hard drive is bad.
I also have a wd tivo 1tb expander
i have a computer that is esata and sata capable
i have winmfstools
i am going to buy a Western Digital 1 TB AV-GP SATA OEM AV Hard Drive WD10EVDS to replace the origianl 250gig tivo hard drive.
i did manage to back up my tivo 250gig drive so i have that

now my questions is this i hook the new WD10EVDS and restore the tivo image to that drive. i think i need some software to fix the intellipark feature of this drive as well but i don't know what i need for this?
after i get the WD10EVDS restored and expanded how do i merry the wd tivo expander to it?
and what is the procedure for divorcing the the two drives and reconnecting them if i should ever need to do that?

I am not worried about loosing any programs so that is not an issue
chipbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #108
moxie1617

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbandit View Post
I have a series 3 tivo and the 250gig internal hard drive is bad.
I also have a wd tivo 1tb expander
i have a computer that is esata and sata capable
i have winmfstools
i am going to buy a Western Digital 1 TB AV-GP SATA OEM AV Hard Drive WD10EVDS to replace the origianl 250gig tivo hard drive.
i did manage to back up my tivo 250gig drive so i have that

now my questions is this i hook the new WD10EVDS and restore the tivo image to that drive. i think i need some software to fix the intellipark feature of this drive as well but i don't know what i need for this?
after i get the WD10EVDS restored and expanded how do i merry the wd tivo expander to it?
and what is the procedure for divorcing the the two drives and reconnecting them if i should ever need to do that?

I am not worried about loosing any programs so that is not an issue
Everything you need to know is in the 1st post of the sticky at the top of this forum http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

Click on the Internal Upgrade tab and it should take you to Section V. Good luck on your upgrade.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote