Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2007, 10:14 PM   #31
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
IIRC, if you do a "clear and delete all" the drive will pick up the data from the motherboard so it generates the same cable card numbers as the original drive.
I've done this a couple times now, and a C&DE (which is required anyway if it's not a backup from that machine) works fine. At least for my Comcast/Moto cards, and I imagine all CC's.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:48 PM   #32
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab
I've done this a couple times now, and a C&DE (which is required anyway if it's not a backup from that machine) works fine. At least for my Comcast/Moto cards, and I imagine all CC's.
Works fine in what sense? If you look at the CableCARD pairing screen there will be 3 #s that are important for Motorola cards, CableCARD ID, Host ID, and Data.

The CableCARD and Host IDs stay the same, but the Data portion gets regenerated for certain situations (new CableCARDs, swapping CableCARDs, Clear & Delete Everything)

If the Data portion changes, your pairing is broken until you update the cable company.

Whether you notice if the pairing is broken depends on whether your cable company has enabled copy protection (ie non-zero CCI values) Copy protection is something the cable company can enable *in addition to* the regular encryption of shows, but not all areas have it enabled.

If your CCI values are all zeros, then the pairing is not that important in the short run. You can swap CableCARD from slot 1/2, you can even swap CableCARDs between different S3s, your TVs, etc. It all just works even though the pairing is broken.

However, this leads to many folks mistakenly thinking there is no problem with Clear & Delete Everything, because copy protection hasn't been enabled yet and they don't notice any problems. One day the cable company enables copy protection and suddenly they lose access to Showtime, Cinemax, etc.

This happened to many folks in the SF Bay Area and there is a whole thread about people trying to get the pairing fixed. Sometimes it is a 15 minute procedure, sometimes it is a multi-week ordeal with multiple truck rolls. It just depends who you get on the phone.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:56 AM   #33
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
IIRC, if you do a "clear and delete all" the drive will pick up the data from the motherboard so it generates the same cable card numbers as the original drive.
I've only seen reports to the contrary(one here) : "Clear and delete all" resets the cable slots as well (and I think you want it to), so you will get a new "Data" number when you next use the slots.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:02 PM   #34
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
Works fine in what sense?
Works fine in the sense that I've now done 3 C&DE on two different drives, and the CC's get reauthorized and I get all my digital and HD premium channels.

That's what "works fine" generally means.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 05-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #35
sfhub

Quote:
Works fine in the sense that I've now done 3 C&DE on two different drives, and the CC's get reauthorized and I get all my digital and HD premium channels.

That's what "works fine" generally means.
Does the Host Validation in the Conditional Access page say "Valid"?

As has been mentioned, being able to view your channels is not the same thing as having your CableCARDs properly paired. This can lead folks to the wrong conclusion.

"Works fine" is ambiguous. Paired properly with Host Validation "Valid" is much clearer.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #36
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
Does the Host Validation in the Conditional Access page say "Valid"?

As has been mentioned, being able to view your channels is not the same thing as having your CableCARDs properly paired. This can lead folks to the wrong conclusion.

"Works fine" is ambiguous. Paired properly with Host Validation "Valid" is much clearer.
I won't be at my TV any time soon, but what difference does it make if all my channels come in and I can record them, and play back old recordings?

!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:46 AM   #37
Roderigo

Quote:
I won't be at my TV any time soon, but what difference does it make if all my channels come in and I can record them, and play back old recordings?
It makes a difference if your cable company suddenly turns on copy protection, like Comcast has done in several market areas (Denver, SF Bay area are the two I've seen referenced on here). It will go from working fine, to not working on whatever channels have copy protection. If your cable company thinks they've properly paired the cards at install time, they won't have any qualms about suddenly turning it on. And, if this happens at the start of a 2-week vacation, then you're SOL.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:18 AM   #38
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
It makes no difference for you at the moment (besides making your life much easier!), but it makes a difference in whether the lessons from your experiences will be true for others in this forum. My local franchise does not pair the cards and hosts at the moment (ie, they don't use the "data" field), so I can move the cablecards between slots and between equipment. I would have no problem with a C&DE. But as reported, that's not true for most (?) people out out there.

Is anybody buying Father's Day S3 in an area that they know doesn't pair? Would you be willing to do a C&DE on your new TiVo after getting cablecards, writing down all the cablecards numbers (but especially the "data" field) both before and after the C&DE?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #39
spike2k5

Method #2 is released (published) in case anyone is waiting for it.

(expanded internal drive + eSATA)

You will have to pull your internal drive and hook it upto a computer along with an eSATA drive.

Get the boot cd from mfslive.org

Last edited by spike2k5 : 06-01-2007 at 09:39 PM.
spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #40
URPREY
Closet TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2k5
Method #2 is out in case anyone is waiting for it.

expanded internal drive + eSATA.

You will have to pull your internal drive and hook it upto a computer along with an eSATA drive.

Get the boot cd from mfslive.org
When I first read your post I thought you meant "out" as in wasn't going to be available, crossed off the list, etc

After the third time I read it I understood that you meant that the method was available for download.

Nice job!
URPREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #41
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by URPREY
When I first read your post I thought you meant "out" as in wasn't going to be available, crossed off the list, etc

After the third time I read it I understood that you meant that the method was available for download.

Nice job!
Sorry about the confusion. Out as in came out.

My finger can't keep up with I'm thinking.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #42
URPREY
Closet TiVo User

Quote:
Sorry about the confusion. Out as in came out.

My finger can't keep up with I'm thinking.
No worries. I'm sure you've just made plenty of people very happy
URPREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #43
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Method #2 is released (published) in case anyone is waiting for it...
So, who has the first 262HD/2,488SD hour S3?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #44
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
So, who has the first 262HD/2,488SD hour S3?
2TB is the record record on S3.

[edit] this is 1.5 TB #
198HD hours, 1878 SD hours

[new]
2TB #
265HD 2513 SD hours

That honor goes to one of the beta tester.

Last edited by spike2k5 : 06-02-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:49 PM   #45
bkdtv

Quote:
2TB is the record record on S3.
198HD hours, 1878 SD hours

That honor goes to one of the beta tester.
That sounds more like 1.5TB capacity.

Why is the difference from 1.0TB -> 2.0TB just 67 hours?
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:43 AM   #46
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
That sounds more like 1.5TB capacity.

Why is the difference from 1.0TB -> 2.0TB just 67 hours?
Sorry. Wrong numbers.

2TB
265HD, 2513 SD hours.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #47
deeremj

I am running a dual 750gb and dual 1tb s3 for last 4 days using the method outlined by spike2k5, running great so far.

The dual 750gb is with db-35's, esata is in mx-1 enclosure.

I went a different route on the dual 1tb expansion by re-routing the internal sata port to an external adapter and have both drives in single esata fan cooled enclosure from owc(macsales.com) as follows:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ng/MESATATBEK/

I had to use the acoustic management on the 1tb drives to get greatly reduced seek noise.
deeremj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #48
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeremj
I am running a dual 750gb and dual 1tb s3 for last 4 days using the method outlined by spike2k5, running great so far.

I went a different route on the dual 1tb expansion by re-routing the internal sata port to an external adapter and have both drives in single esata fan cooled enclosure from owc(macsales.com) as follows:

I had to use the acoustic management on the 1tb drives to get greatly reduced seek noise.
Pictures, please?

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #49
wgw

Quote:
I went a different route on the dual 1tb expansion by re-routing the internal sata port to an external adapter and have both drives in single esata fan cooled enclosure
Excellent idea. No need to open Tivo again to access drive and it probably keeps the internal drive cooler than leaving it in the Tivo case. Is the fan pretty good quality?

Last edited by wgw : 06-02-2007 at 05:12 PM.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #50
jetjock34

May you Programing Gods forgive me... but.... sure wish the method for an already upgraded series 3 was as easy as the method for the non-upgraded. Any chance in the futute there will be a fix for those of us not quite as competant?
jetjock34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #51
jetjock34

Quote:

I second the motion.... pictures and/or step by step instuctions... PLESAE
jetjock34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #52
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Just so I understand...

I have a Tivo S3 with a 750GB DB35 internal drive (and I want to preserve those recordings).

I bought an Antec MX-1 external eSata enclosure and I plan on buying another 750GB DB35 for it. So in the end I will have an internal 750GB and an external 750GB.

So all I have to do is connect the original internal S3 drive to a PC via SATA and make sure it is on /dev/sda and connect the other 750GB drive that is going to be in the external enclosure and make sure it is /dev/sdb, boot the MFSLive CD (my CD-ROM drive is connected to the IDE port on my PC) and just run this command

mfsadd -r 4 -ex /dev/sda /dev/sdb

Then when that is done all I will have to do is plug the internal Tivo S3 back in the Tivo, put the new 750GB drive in the enclosure and connect it to the Tivo S3 and turn everthing on and I will be good to go? And I will still have all the original recordings that were on my internal drive still?

Do I have that right?

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #53
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci
Just so I understand...
Well, the docs for the MSLive S3 Method 2 says nothing about "original drive" so depending upon what you mean by that you might be reading more into the technique than is there. Your internal 750GB drive needs to be introduced to your new external drive. Just follow the method verbatim. If by original you meant current then it looks like you have it down pat!

Last edited by jlib : 06-11-2007 at 10:50 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:47 AM   #54
rudolpht
HD Maven

Quote:
Well, the docs for the MSLive S3 Method 2 says nothing about "original drive" so depending upon what you mean by that you might be reading more into the technique than is there. Your internal 750GB drive needs to be introduced to your new external drive. Just follow the method verbatim. If by original you meant current then it looks like you have it down pat!
My internal 750GB drive is my original drive (bought that way), I assume that's what was meant and I'm in the same boat.
rudolpht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:01 AM   #55
jwehman

Quote:
Just so I understand...

I have a Tivo S3 with a 750GB DB35 internal drive (and I want to preserve those recordings).

I bought an Antec MX-1 external eSata enclosure and I plan on buying another 750GB DB35 for it. So in the end I will have an internal 750GB and an external 750GB.

So all I have to do is connect the original internal S3 drive to a PC via SATA and make sure it is on /dev/sda and connect the other 750GB drive that is going to be in the external enclosure and make sure it is /dev/sdb, boot the MFSLive CD (my CD-ROM drive is connected to the IDE port on my PC) and just run this command

Then when that is done all I will have to do is plug the internal Tivo S3 back in the Tivo, put the new 750GB drive in the enclosure and connect it to the Tivo S3 and turn everthing on and I will be good to go? And I will still have all the original recordings that were on my internal drive still?

Do I have that right?
Worked for me...that's exactly what I did, and when I turned it back on, all recordings (from the original 750gb) were there and the S3 reported 198HD hours available. And the beauty is that the mfsadd operation takes all of about 1/3 of a second to execute.
jwehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #56
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Just so I understand...

Do I have that right?
Yes.

Also, they don't have to be /sda and /sdb, they can be anything. Just make sure you do the mfsadd order properly.

!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:49 AM   #57
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Not sure whay subtle point you're making, but it works with any currently working internal drive. Whether that's already upgraded or not.

!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #58
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Sweetness! Thanks!

Anyone want to recommend a good place to buy a vanilla 750GB Seagate DB35 for my eSata enclosure? I bought my internal one from Weaknees but they are expensive.

Has anyone bought from thenerds.net ?

http://www.thenerds.net/SEAGATE_HDD_...750840SCE.html

They have them for about $281

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #59
vstone

Quote:
Not sure whay subtle point you're making, but it works with any currently working internal drive. Whether that's already upgraded or not.
http://www.mfslive.org/tivofaq.htm says:

"...
it does simple check in the MFS superblock and see if the internal drive is factory original.
If it is not, it will terminate the marriage process, reset the flag and goes on as if marriage never took place.
..."
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #60
slimm

Quote:
Sweetness! Thanks!

Anyone want to recommend a good place to buy a vanilla 750GB Seagate DB35 for my eSata enclosure? I bought my internal one from Weaknees but they are expensive.

Has anyone bought from thenerds.net ?

http://www.thenerds.net/SEAGATE_HDD_...750840SCE.html

They have them for about $281
I bought mine from them some time ago. Fast shipping and no problems.
slimm is offline   Reply With Quote