TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
jtown

eSATA + internal upgrade: Any progress?

I hate to start a new thread just to ask but the other threads seem to be wandering off into speculation about the source of the eSATA info and future reliability and such. I'm interested in finding out if anyone's made progress getting an external drive and internal upgrade working together.

From what I can see, adding an eSATA drive and using the kickstart code on a system that's already been upgraded won't work. A couple people have mentioned making it work "by hand" but didn't follow up with any pointers to threads/forums where these manual workarounds are being attempted. Just one link where it's mentioned as being an issue. Is there any more information available in this area?

Has anyone tried adding an eSATA drive to the stock drive, then upgrading the internal drive? I've seen this mentioned as an approach to try but no reports from anyone who's done it.

It's kinda important as I'm ready to order a 1tb drive but I don't want to add it in a way that will eliminate the possibility of future upgrades. I'd prefer to replace the internal drive and keep my tivo setup nice and clean but I don't want to do that if it will prevent me from ever making use of the eSATA port. OTOH, adding it externally isn't really worth the noise/clutter if I wouldn't have the option of later upgrading the internal drive as well.

Basically, if we're stuck with a single upgrade path, I'll stick with 1tb internal rather than 1.25tb combo.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
bkdtv

I believe spike2k5 is now working on a new version of MFSTools that will support up to 1Tb (binary) internal plus 1Tb external eSATA.

Some forum members are apparently beta testing it now.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
I believe spike2k5 is now working on a new version of MFSTools that will support up to 1Tb (binary) internal plus 1Tb external eSATA.

Some forum members are apparently beta testing it now.
[cartman]Sweet.[/cartman]

I'll sit tight for a bit. If I had two big drives in-hand, I'd offer to test but I don't.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown
I hate to start a new thread just to ask but the other threads seem to be wandering off into speculation about the source of the eSATA info and future reliability and such. I'm interested in finding out if anyone's made progress getting an external drive and internal upgrade working together.

From what I can see, adding an eSATA drive and using the kickstart code on a system that's already been upgraded won't work. A couple people have mentioned making it work "by hand" but didn't follow up with any pointers to threads/forums where these manual workarounds are being attempted. Just one link where it's mentioned as being an issue. Is there any more information available in this area?

Has anyone tried adding an eSATA drive to the stock drive, then upgrading the internal drive? I've seen this mentioned as an approach to try but no reports from anyone who's done it.

It's kinda important as I'm ready to order a 1tb drive but I don't want to add it in a way that will eliminate the possibility of future upgrades. I'd prefer to replace the internal drive and keep my tivo setup nice and clean but I don't want to do that if it will prevent me from ever making use of the eSATA port. OTOH, adding it externally isn't really worth the noise/clutter if I wouldn't have the option of later upgrading the internal drive as well.

Basically, if we're stuck with a single upgrade path, I'll stick with 1tb internal rather than 1.25tb combo.
Thanks for starting the thread. I agree, the others have become somewhat hard to read with most posts about the right enclosure, etc. I am also waiting on some info on this as well.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
generaltso

If they're looking for more testers, I'd certainly be willing. I've got a 750GB DB35 in my S3 and a second 750GB DB35 ready to be plugged into the eSATA port.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
jwehman

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso
If they're looking for more testers, I'd certainly be willing. I've got a 750GB DB35 in my S3 and a second 750GB DB35 ready to be plugged into the eSATA port.

Try PM'ing spike2k5.
jwehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #7
generaltso

Will do, thanks.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
beerkensp

If it is a new MFSTools will that allow my current 750Gb drive to be modified to allow ESATA?
beerkensp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #9
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

OK, what is the latest?

Waiting........

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
wackymann

I am waiting (im?)patiently too. I would LOVE to add another 750 GB or 1 TB drive to the 750 GB I already have inside my S3, but I won't do it until we have a rock solid implementation. My box is running so well, I wouldn't think of doing anything to it that hasn't been well tested by others. Kudos to all the beta testers out there!!
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
jtown

Waiting less and less patiently. Already missed a chance to buy the 1tb drive for $399 out the door from PC Connection. (They're out of stock now and raised the price.) Now I'm going on vacation in a month and I'd really like to know which way I should do the first upgrade. I really don't care if I should do the first phase internal or external. I just want to make sure I don't upgrade myself out of a future expansion.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
sfhub

Think of it this way, spike2k5 is saving you money. There is little to record over the summer, and drive prices will no doubt be less in a few months once the seagate and wd 1tb drives are out.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:14 PM   #13
rudolpht
HD Maven

I would like to get mine working before the 6x Star Wars movies on Cinemax and HBO. I already have it on internal upgrade but it would be piece of mind to have on both. As I bought my 750GB pre-installed, I have to admit I'm pretty trepidatious about screwing with the main internal (I did get the tools etc working on DirecTivo but it was kludge city).
rudolpht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #14
jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
Think of it this way, spike2k5 is saving you money. There is little to record over the summer, and drive prices will no doubt be less in a few months once the seagate and wd 1tb drives are out.
Actually cost me money. PC Connection raised their price after selling out of their first shipment. It's going to be a while before these drives can easily be found for MSRP.

FYI, I sent a PM earlier asking whether to make the first upgrade internal or eSATA and was told that upgrading the internal drive first and adding eSATA later is a good upgrade path.

That's what I prefer so I'm happy. A little more work since I'll have to copy/expand my original drive but I won't have to worry about external cables. Now to find the drive for less than $450...
Old 05-21-2007, 11:58 PM   #15
sfhub

Quote:
It's going to be a while before these drives can easily be found for MSRP.
Best Buy is selling at MSRP. Just wait until they have it in stock. There are various other places willing to sell below MSRP once higher availability starts up. Price competition will start once the other 1tb drives are out. I can virtually guarantee in the next 2 months you will be able to get the Hitachi below MSRP.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1172880158065
Old 05-22-2007, 12:58 AM   #16
jtown

Best Buy adds tax and shipping. That's another $37.50 on top. Worth it if they had it in stock but not for backorder. I found that PC Connection lists the OEM version at $398.40 no tax, free shipping. The wait time's a bit longer but I'll wait and save a little money.

For those who need it right now, TigerDirect lists the OEM version for $450 plus shipping. About $475 delivered ground. (Yes, the shipping charge is outrageous for ground.)
Old 05-22-2007, 02:31 AM   #17
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht
I already have it on internal upgrade but it would be piece of mind to have on both.
I believe that if the internal drive dies, the content on the external drive would be useless.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:59 AM   #18
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Because, you know, you couldn't buy the drive and let it sit on a shelf until this works one day...
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:24 AM   #19
generaltso

Quote:
Actually cost me money. PC Connection raised their price after selling out of their first shipment. It's going to be a while before these drives can easily be found for MSRP.
Who stopped you from buying the drive?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #20
rudolpht
HD Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
I believe that if the internal drive dies, the content on the external drive would be useless.

That is an excellent point I never thought of. Why bother. I guess I'll hang out with my unwrapped Appian (considering returning).

Seriously, thanks.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #21
jtown

Quote:
Who stopped you from buying the drive?
I was waiting for a large deposit refund from a landlord who hadn't said a word since I moved out. Guy waited until the last possible day to say, "check's in the mail".

At the same time, eSATA dropped into the mix. I didn't see any point in spending money immediately when I'd just leave the drive sitting in the box while waiting for word on options for double-expansion. I also wanted to see the results of a SATA RAID on the external port to verify the 1tb per channel limit.

I also wanted to read some reviews to determine whether the drive would be too noisy. Since they announced a "CinemaStar" version, I wanted to verify that the DeskStar line would support AMM.

By the time I got my check, was confident that double-expansion was possible, and read a couple reviews, the drive was sold out. It only took a couple of days but I'd waited too long. Now I have the OEM version on order.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:12 PM   #22
generaltso

Quote:
I was waiting for a large deposit refund from a landlord who hadn't said a word since I moved out. Guy waited until the last possible day to say, "check's in the mail".

At the same time, eSATA dropped into the mix. I didn't see any point in spending money immediately when I'd just leave the drive sitting in the box while waiting for word on options for double-expansion. I also wanted to see the results of a SATA RAID on the external port to verify the 1tb per channel limit.

I also wanted to read some reviews to determine whether the drive would be too noisy. Since they announced a "CinemaStar" version, I wanted to verify that the DeskStar line would support AMM.

By the time I got my check, was confident that double-expansion was possible, and read a couple reviews, the drive was sold out. It only took a couple of days but I'd waited too long. Now I have the OEM version on order.
Sounds like you had your reasons for not buying the drive. But I don't think it's fair to say that anyone was "costing you money."

Upgrade your internal drive first. There will eventually be instructions for adding an external drive.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #23
jtown

Quote:
Sounds like you had your reasons for not buying the drive. But I don't think it's fair to say that anyone was "costing you money."
Are you serious? It was a joke. That's what the smiley face was for.

Some people really need to lighten up.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #24
GooberMan

I have a 750gb internal drive on order and will order the S3 Sunday with the rebate. The drive already has Tivo software on it. Is it as simple as opening the case and swapping the drives or is this a more complicated procedure?
GooberMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #25
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

That's it. Unscrew the Torx screws, unscrew the old drive from the frame, plug in the new drive to the power and data cable, screw everthing back together and you are done. I would do it in about 10 minutes. If you got the preformatted drive from weaknees, they will give you the torx wrench.

Really. No big deal- you can't plug the cables in bass ackwards because they are shaped so that they can only be plugged in one way.

In the S2's the only gotcha was that you could bump the white ribbon going to the front panel. Haven't heard of any similar gotcha's for S3s, but read the instructions for any such warnings.
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #26
jtown

Do the swap before you get the cablecards installed. The code used by the cablecards to identify your device may (will?) change when you make the swap if you use a pre-imaged hard drive. It won't affect the S3's subscription to the Tivo service, though, just the cablecards. You can hook up the S3, try it out, make sure everything works, activate your tivo subscription, etc. before making the swap. Just don't get the cablecards installed until after you make the swap.

That's my understanding, anyway, and I could be wrong. There's more info in the S3 upgrade threads.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #27
sfhub

Depends on how you do the install. OP didn't really mention. If you copy the image from the existing drive that paired the CableCARDs, then everything will be fine. If you use a different image, there is a chance the Data # used for pairing purposes could get regenerated.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #28
jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberMan
The drive already has Tivo software on it.
As he stated, it's one of those drop-in replacements.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #29
rudolpht
HD Maven

Any news? Send back the Appian?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #30
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
Depends on how you do the install. OP didn't really mention. If you copy the image from the existing drive that paired the CableCARDs, then everything will be fine. If you use a different image, there is a chance the Data # used for pairing purposes could get regenerated.
IIRC, if you do a "clear and delete all" the drive will pick up the data from the motherboard so it generates the same cable card numbers as the original drive.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote