TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #2101
hidefhound

Office Depot has SimpleTech 1TB External USB/eSATA HD for $299.99(reg $399.99) this week. Worth considering?
hidefhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #2102
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefhound View Post
Office Depot has SimpleTech 1TB External USB/eSATA HD for $299.99(reg $399.99) this week. Worth considering?
If this is the drive you're referring to it's almost certainly a dual 500GB package (which makes it a very poor buy to start with). IIRC there were problems with dual drive setups plus the internal drive models are unknown and AFAIK no one here has ever tried the brand.

There are a number of better alternatives IMHO including buying a bare 1TB drive (this WD 1TB drive for example) and an Antec MX-1 enclosure. Circuit City had the MX-1 on sale for $39.99 last week. If you have some patience you can find both the drive and the enclosure for a pretty good price. About the same price, tested and proven as a good expansion drive P&P option for the Series3. Hitachi and Samsung also make reliable and tested 1TB drives.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #2103
richsadams

Note Old Info - Check out the current thread

For those wanting to follow along, this is a pretty old thread. The current "Official" eSATA drive thread can be found here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160
Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #2104
Fat Leo

Seagate FreeAgent Pro Data Mover 1TB 32MB Buffer eSATA

I've done the reading (and this is a long thread), and I haven't seen anyone say yes for sure that the external Segate FreeAgent 1Tb works or doesn't. So here goes...

Doe the Segate external 1TB drive work? I know not officially, but does it work?

Here is the specific one I'm looking at-

Seagate FreeAgent Pro Data Mover 1TB 32MB Buffer eSATA, FIREWIRE 400 & USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - ST310005FPA1E3-RK.

Seagate:
FRYS.com #: 5496159
Capacity: 1TB
eSATA, Firewire 400 & USB 2.0
32MB Buffer
7200RPM
5 Year Warranty
Limit 1 per Household.
(when purchased between 01/30/2008 and 01/31/2008) $269.99

I've tried 1 of the eSATA WD Books and it failed as indicated by others. Found this forum after I tried it. I'm just interested in knowing if the Seagate FreeAgents pass (un-officially). Couldn't tell for sure based on what I've read.

Thanks!
Fat Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #2105
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Leo View Post
I've done the reading (and this is a long thread), and I haven't seen anyone say yes for sure that the external Segate FreeAgent 1Tb works or doesn't. So here goes...

Doe the Segate external 1TB drive work? I know not officially, but does it work?

Here is the specific one I'm looking at-

Seagate FreeAgent Pro Data Mover 1TB 32MB Buffer eSATA, FIREWIRE 400 & USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - ST310005FPA1E3-RK.

Seagate:
FRYS.com #: 5496159
Capacity: 1TB
eSATA, Firewire 400 & USB 2.0
32MB Buffer
7200RPM
5 Year Warranty
Limit 1 per Household.
(when purchased between 01/30/2008 and 01/31/2008) $269.99

I've tried 1 of the eSATA WD Books and it failed as indicated by others. Found this forum after I tried it. I'm just interested in knowing if the Seagate FreeAgents pass (un-officially). Couldn't tell for sure based on what I've read.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. AFAIK no one has tried that particular expansion drive with TiVo. You could be a pioneer!

As a caveat speculation has it that the WD "My Book" drives are not suitable due to the same triple bridge (USB/Firewire/eSATA) configuration. But that doesn't mean that the FAP's might not work.

The downside to the FAP's (and why they are not recommended on the current eSATA thread) is that they do not employ a cooling fan and some had eSATA cables and connectors that refused to work with TiVo without some modifications or at all. The 500GB and 750G FAP's displayed some heat issues (since they run 24/7 w/TiVo) and depending on the drive the 1TB models are using, that could be even more of a problem.

Some FAP's never worked while others worked for a while and then failed (reboots, etc.) however others are in the wild which are working fine so the new 1TB model may work (w/Series3's) as well.

So if you do go down that road, let us know how it goes.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #2106
Fat Leo

Thanks,

Pioneer is one way of putting.

~2 days or so, I should know and will post how well it is recieved by the S3.

5496159 Seagate FreeAgent Pro Data Mover 1TB 32MB Buffer eSATA, FIREWIRE 400 & USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - ST310005FPA1E3-RK.
1 $269.99 $269.99

5222647 eSATA TO eSATA HARD-DRIVE CABLE: 6-FEET, UV BLUE
1 $12.99 $12.99

subtotal $282.98

If it works with TiVo for ~300, it's a deal... If not it's an unexpected back-up drive for the home PC.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #2107
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks,

~2 days or so, I should know and will post how well it is recieved by the S3.

5496159 Seagate FreeAgent Pro Data Mover 1TB 32MB Buffer eSATA, FIREWIRE 400 & USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - ST310005FPA1E3-RK.
1 $269.99 $269.99

1 $12.99 $12.99

subtotal $282.98

If it works with TiVo for ~300, it's a deal... If not it's an unexpected back-up drive for the home PC.
You'll be earning your Pioneer badge in no time!

I'd still go with this combo:
Western Digital Caviar GP WD10EACS 1TB
$254.99 and the Antec MX-1 Enclosure (incl. cable) $48.67. Although I'd wait for the MX-1 to go on sale somewhere...as low as $29.99 now and then. For about the same price you get two proven products.

It'll be good to hear how the FAP works out though. Also let us know about the eSATA cable listed. If it's this one the ends may need modification because the rubber shield extends too far down the connector. If so, you might want to get one of the recommended cables instead, such as the SIIG Serial ATA external cable or one of the other recommendations. (see #26)

Last edited by richsadams : 01-30-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:19 AM   #2108
toddc

Quote:
Thanks,

~2 days or so, I should know and will post how well it is received by the S3.

1 $269.99 $269.99

1 $12.99 $12.99

subtotal $282.98

I am buying one.... if it does not work on the TiVo, it will work on my computer.
It should work on the TiVo as I already have a 750 GB FreeAgent Pro hooked up to one S3 and I have another S3. The old S3 had the FAP gradfathered since I put it on with the last version of the software with the jumpstart. You have to be careful with the cable, some do not work. The one I used is from startech.com purchased on Amazon, worked fine.
toddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #2109
Fat Leo

1Tb FreeAgent Pro

It works.

165 HD hours -OR- 1,561 SD hours. Don't know when I'd need 65 nonstop days of recording, but the 165 hours of HD is more palatable.

Thanks for the suggestions on the cable. It required a little shave on the plastic to allow full connection into TiVo. No biggie not even an 18th of an inch shave. After that, S3 recognized the drive, did it's marriage thing and appears to have been recording a number of programs over the last 24 hours.

Works for me!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #2110
richsadams

Quote:
It works.

165 HD hours -OR- 1,561 SD hours. Don't know when I'd need 65 nonstop days of recording, but the 165 hours of HD is more palatable.

Thanks for the suggestions on the cable. It required a little shave on the plastic to allow full connection into TiVo. No biggie not even an 18th of an inch shave. After that, S3 recognized the drive, did it's marriage thing and appears to have been recording a number of programs over the last 24 hours.

Works for me!
Great news! Glad to hear things are working well. Curious about the heat emanating from the FAP. Do you have it in a cabinet or open air? Does it feel cool, warm or hot to the touch? How about the sound level? Can you hear it working and if so from how far away?

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #2111
Fat Leo

In an open cabinet, mildly warn to the touch (about the same temp as other electronics, not nearly as warm as my amp), quieter then TiVo. Hope it works out over time... which seems to be the real test for everyone.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #2112
richsadams

Quote:
In an open cabinet, mildly warn to the touch (about the same temp as other electronics, not nearly as warm as my amp), quieter then TiVo. Hope it works out over time... which seems to be the real test for everyone.
Great! All good info for everyone.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:04 AM   #2113
cab2

Just curious if others have seen this with their FAP's?

I have the 500 gig drive and it has worked fine (now that I got a GOOD cable) but last weekend on sunday am, i was sitting reading the paper without the tv on, and noticed the FAP started to get very loud. Sounded like spinning noise, but a little hard to tell. The drive was not any warmer than usual, and I turned on the HT and everything seemed to be working fine. Even had the S3 tivo record something on both channels with no issues. After about 1.5 hours, the drive quieted down again.

I guess, it's fine, but the thoughts that went through my mind was that my FAP was about to die. I connected my drive, not long after the kickstart method came out here on the board, so thats what, about a year now? not that old for a drive.

cab
cab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #2114
TiivoDog
FIOS Fast!!!

750gb FreeAgent Pro ($161)

FYI, for those looking for a pretty good deal on a Seagate 750gb FreeAgent Pro, one can be had for $161. Also, I am NOT affiliated with this company, but just came across it and thought I would share on the forum:

SecureMart
http://www.securemart.com/cgi-bin/fu...0.html?pcode=1

4 Series3

2 Series2

Sony Google TV

2 AppleTVs

Onkyo NR-1008

HP MSS EX475 (OS 3.0)

GigE LAN

FIOS TV (127 HD Channels)
FIOS Data (35/35 Mbps)
TiivoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:10 AM   #2115
norbus

Upgraded TivoHD (with 160GB HD) to 1TB adding eSata 1TB external

All:

I've upgraded my TivoHD with the low end model (160GB Drive) using mfscopy via WinMFS with a 1TB WD10EACS.

Now, I've purchaed an additional WD10EACS to go into an eSata enclosure, using the Antec MX-1 case and SIIG cable.

There is some concern that the low end unit will not just "work" with the eSata extension.

Can I just add the eSata enclosure using normal Tivo means expansion menu, or do I need to pull my drive and use WinMFS/MFStools//Linux to marry the second drive?

Thanks,

Eric

Last edited by norbus : 05-20-2008 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Typed my darned name twice
norbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:12 AM   #2116
c3
TiVoholic

You need to pull the drive.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:01 AM   #2117
norbus

Thanks! Sucks, but okay.

Eric
norbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #2118
ciscokidinsf

Hey all, how can I tell if I have a BAD ESATA PORT in my HD Tivo, I said this because:

I've already tested on 2 different WD 'My DVR Expanders' drives
I've already tried the OEM cable and two different eSATA II cables
The S.M.A.R.T. test will NOT run at all if the external drive is connected, it runs fine when the external drive is NOT connected

I have a TivoHD, OEM (no hard drive changes) and the 9.3 software.

I always get the same, connect the DVR expander, I get the 'External Storage Detected' message and then when I said yes to add the external storage,I always get the screen that says the drive is not supported. After 3 different cables and two different expanders, my last logical choice is a bad Tivo eSATA Port. I tried already to dust it. Oddly, the drive DOES SHOW in the system screen. How can I check the port is bad? Can it be fixed? Do I need to open the Tivo and check if the card is in place? I've searched the thread but most problems seem to be cable related not Port related. Can someone give me a hand here? Thanks.

Last edited by ciscokidinsf : 06-06-2008 at 10:20 PM.
ciscokidinsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:56 AM   #2119
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokidinsf View Post
Hey all, how can I tell if I have a BAD ESATA PORT in my HD Tivo
Sorry to hear that you're having problems trying to get a little more recording space on your TiVo HD. Since you've tried two of the "approved" drives as well as various cable combinations I would agree that there is probably an issue elsewhere as long as you're following the correct connection procedure:

1. Unplug Tivo
2. Connect the eSATA cable to TiVo and the eSATA drive
3. Plug the eSATA drive in, turn it on...wait 10 seconds for it to spin up
4. Plug TiVo in and follow the on-screen instructions.

You could certainly pull TiVo's cover and have a look at the connections but unless you see a loose wire it's difficult to know where the breakdown exists.

That said, the fact that TiVo is initially recognizing the drive plus it refuses to run the drive test leads me to believe that the eSATA port may be okay and that it could be a chip, motherboard or even a software issue.

It's a pretty unusual circumstance and it sounds like you've done just about everything possible. DVRUpgrade doesn't have an Instant Cake/TiVo HD image you could try quite yet (very soon they say) and even if the eSATA port is faulty I wouldn't try a DIY replacement. So it seems that your only recourse is to call TiVo, explain the problem and have them replace your TiVo HD under the one-year warranty ($49).
Old 11-29-2008, 03:31 AM   #2120
gatzke

Official 1 TB any time soon?

I keep thinking Tivo will release an official 1 TB external drive, but I have not seen anything still. Have I missed it? With 1 TB drives so numerous, the 500 GB seems smallish now.

I know I could probably piece something together or buy an external ready to go, but for some reason I doubt it would be a smooth route. I know the official drive can be trouble too (for some) but I want to stick to blessed hardware.

I am not in a hurry, we are currently overseas for another 6 months. BTW, slingbox to Germany works pretty darn well! Grainy video and remote lag, but not too shabby! So Tivo HD is on SD right now until we get back.

Plus the tuning dongle should be out in my area soon, so I am looking forward to my return...
Slingbox AV, Wii Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gatzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #2121
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatzke View Post
I keep thinking Tivo will release an official 1 TB external drive, but I have not seen anything still. Have I missed it? With 1 TB drives so numerous, the 500 GB seems smallish now.

I know I could probably piece something together or buy an external ready to go, but for some reason I doubt it would be a smooth route. I know the official drive can be trouble too (for some) but I want to stick to blessed hardware.

I am not in a hurry, we are currently overseas for another 6 months. BTW, slingbox to Germany works pretty darn well! Grainy video and remote lag, but not too shabby! So Tivo HD is on SD right now until we get back.

Plus the tuning dongle should be out in my area soon, so I am looking forward to my return...
FYI, this thread is very old and outdated. Check out the current Official eSATA Drive Expansion: FAQ + Discussion sticky thread for more up to date info.

No official TiVo blessed 1TB to date. And if there were going to be one this year it would be by this date IMHO.

A DIY or off the shelf 1TB eSATA drive can be found for less than $150 now. A couple of forum members are successfully using the Fantom Green 1TB drive which buy.com has for about $125 right now.

I'd wager by the time you get back there'll be one, but then I thought there would be one by now as well so....

Thanks for the feedback on Slingbox. I've been debating getting one. The downside is that most of the places where I stay have wireless broadband, some still haves 802.11b, so I'm not so sure it will work very well for me.

Travel safely!

Last edited by richsadams : 11-29-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:52 PM   #2122
gatzke

Our Tivo is on a wired network at home, but we are using wireless over in Germany and it seems to work fine. The player says something like 350 kbs all the tiime. I don't think we bought a N, just b I think. Right now it says 54 mbs.

The biggest problem is the occasional hiccup across the atlantic, but you usually just lose tv for a few seconds if that and that is fairly rare (but comes in storms).

The lag is annoying, but bearable if you are patient.

Now my only problem is the closed captioning turned on and we aren't getting any volume and the tovo won't turn it off... very odd....
Slingbox AV, Wii Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gatzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:14 AM   #2123
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatzke View Post
Our Tivo is on a wired network at home, but we are using wireless over in Germany and it seems to work fine. Now my only problem is the closed captioning turned on and we aren't getting any volume and the tovo won't turn it off... very odd....
Can you have anyone at home reboot your TiVo (unplug it, wait 10 seconds or so and plug it back in)? That may cure the CC issue.

Thanks for the Slingbox recommendation. If it can make it across the Atlantic w/o too much trouble it should work across one or two states! Watching TV in hotels is utterly painful.

BTW, 54 mbps would be 802.11g. 802.11b would be 11 mbps.

Thanks again!