TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #121
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dssturbo1
it should not lose them. guessing it probably will come up with an on screen prompt to remarry/accept it back in the system.

my compusa got closed
Sound logical, I suppose testing that idea would be a good idea before one gets many recordings done, I may try it myself later today before anything is scheduled to record tonight.

We got lucky here as there was no other CompUSA for miles and miles, closet being down in the bay area.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #122
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshdog
That appealed to me as well. Redundancy good. Redundancy good.
I'm considering this enclosure. In theory it should be just plug and play.

That said, noise is a concern according to this review. You can get quiet drives, but a noisy enclosure is a deal breaker.
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #123
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

i am looking at external enclosures on newegg....they don't come with power adapters. are these enclosures getting power from the esata port you connect to the tivo?? or do i need to buy an ext enclosure that has a power adapter?
ingenue007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #124
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee
I'm considering this enclosure. In theory it should be just plug and play.

That said, noise is a concern according to this review. You can get quiet drives, but a noisy enclosure is a deal breaker.
I got one of those at work. Compared to my Thecus N2050 it was quite a bit louder. (annoyingly so) But very solidly built.

It has two tiny fans. The Thecus has just one. Not really sure what made it so much louder than the Thecus. I could have been the drives in it.

As soon as I get my data copied off my Thecus (2x400GB) I am going to try reconnecting it to my Tivo again via the eSata port.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4482613

Edit: Thecus is cheaper to boot. (Although I have had problems with heat, as did some other reviewers on newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822102006

I'll report back tonight how it goes.

Last edited by greg_burns : 05-06-2007 at 02:02 PM.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #125
kylen

Anyone try the Western Digital 500 GB My Book Premium ES (WDG1SU5000N) for the TiVo?

I have one of the USB ones connected to my PC and it works great.
kylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #126
bearcat2000

I would also like to know if the My Books work well or not. They are incredibly quiet as I have 3 hooked up to my computer and the only fan I hear is the stupid Dells.
bearcat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #127
shaown

anyone tried one of these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822101030
shaown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #128
pcjackson

I don't really care to try this, but what happens when you mount the drive to your PC/Mac? How are the files stored? Is the FS accessible? Haven't heard much as far as this goes.
pcjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #129
NOD
Chim Richalds

The user reviews for that one don't fill me w/ confidence for long-term use...
NOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #130
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOD
The user reviews for that one don't fill me w/ confidence for long-term use...
It's a hard drive and an enclosure, what is there to it? They don't MAKE the hard drive, the eSATA interface is nothing more than an adapter....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #131
NOD
Chim Richalds

well, one reviewer said it doesn't spin down w/ the power on, and another said it is extremely hot. Those things would make me wary for its long-term performance.

Then again, we all take our chances in terms of long-term performance. It's obviously up to you. It might work great. Just sharing my reservations...
Old 05-06-2007, 05:03 PM   #132
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Just found this post; I have a 320GB Seagate eSATA drive that was connected to the SA8300HD that I use to lease from Cox until four or five months back. It'd just been languishing in a closet and now it's happily back in service. Kudos to spike2k5 for revealing this .

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #133
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOD
well, one reviewer said it doesn't spin down w/ the power on, and another said it is extremely hot.
Spin down is controlled by the host and should be passed to the drive through the enclosure controller (if any). With the S3, the drive will never spin down anyway. As for the temperature, I would not get an enclosure without a fan.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #134
NOD
Chim Richalds

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
Spin down is controlled by the host and should be passed to the drive through the enclosure controller (if any). With the S3, the drive will never spin down anyway. As for the temperature, I would not get an enclosure without a fan.
Yeah, the fan will be a must for me. I wasn't sure about the spin-down issue w/ an external from the Tivo, but I guess it stands to reason as it seems that recordings will be done on both drives. Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #135
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

i just ordered: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152052

and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817106097

should be here by end of the week.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #136
jhimmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenue007
I happen to have one of those Azio enclosures laying around with a 250G SATA HD in it. I'm not currently using it for anything, and I'm thinking about plugging it into one of my S3's. If I do - I'll let you know what happens.

I had used this for backup data at one time. Do I need to fdisk it?

Jim H.
jhimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #137
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

i would go ahead and format it before i plugged it into the tivo
Old 05-06-2007, 05:45 PM   #138
riddick21

I really wish we could see what someone at TiVo has to say about this.
riddick21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #139
NOD
Chim Richalds

I wouldn't expect any official word either from our Tivo folks or the website. What are their options response-wise? Let's look at the possibilities:

1) They DON'T want us all to be able to do this. If they come on here and state that it isn't appropriate for use yet (or, even worse, if they say that there will be a FW update that will disable this capability for the consumer), then they'll get abused by the forum members.

2) They DO want us all to be able to do this. If they come on here and admit that it has been enabled for a long time, then they'll be questioned for not revealing this to us in the past.

Then there's the 3rd option -- say nothing and let us all do that which we've wanted to do for months. Let it sit out there as a pseudo-hack and then announce it officially as prime-time ready w/ a future update.

I have to admit that the worst possibility for many of us would be for them to say nothing and then disable it in a new FW update after all of us go out and buy expensive SATA add-ons.

Let's hope that they understand that...
Old 05-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #140
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshdog
Anyone going to try a SATA raid?
Just connected my Thecus (currently with 2x400GB) drives. 250MB + 800MB = 138 hours of HD.

Is this the current record?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #141
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenue007
i would go ahead and format it before i plugged it into the tivo
I didn't bother formatting my drive (it was NTFS) and it worked just fine. I think you meant FDISK anyways. What would you format it as?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:18 PM   #142
slimoli

This drive seems to be e-Sata only and is well known by the SA-8300 users. There is a model with both USB and e-Sata but the model # is different. This one seems to be the real deal:

http://www.apricorn.com/product_deta...ly&anc=#bottom

Look at the "System Requirements" and see that they already mention the Tivo S3 as being not supported despite claims that people are already using it.

Sergio
slimoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #143
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli
It looks to me this is a good choice. It's e-Sata for sure and maybe you are looking at a diffrent model.
Sergio
I missed this eSATA "DVR Expander" from Apricorn earlier. It does appear to be an ideal option for TiVo S3's. It has a large but quiet fan to keep the drive cool as well. The downside is that it's only available with 250GB and 500GB HDD's.

Edit: Apricorn added a 750GB option today (May 7th). They also updated their home page to feature this product. Fast thinkers!

Thx Sergio!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli
Look at the "System Requirements" and see that they already mention the Tivo S3 as being not supported despite claims that people are already using it. Sergio
Good point! I'd bet it works, but would really like to hear from anyone that tries it.

Edit 05/07/07: I just ordered one of these and post and update when I receive it and see that it works.

Last edited by richsadams : 05-08-2007 at 01:24 AM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #144
WSP

When you add the external drive, are the programs already recorded on the internal disk lost?
WSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #145
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSP
When you add the external drive, are the programs already recorded on the internal disk lost?
Nope.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #146
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns
Just connected my Thecus (currently with 2x400GB) drives. 250MB + 800MB = 138 hours of HD.

Is this the current record?
Seems to be, I didn't think TiVo could retain more than a TB of recordings though, of course you're probably right at that limit.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #147
myosh_tino

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSP
Let me take this one step further. Will programs recorded before I added the external drive be affected if I remove it?

I bought a drive and enclosure yesterday and the drive (Maxtor) is pretty noisy and the enclosure gets pretty warm. I probably can't return it but I'll use the drive in one of my desktop systems.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:14 PM   #148
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
Seems to be, I didn't think TiVo could retain more than a TB of recordings though, of course you're probably right at that limit.
Nah, 1TB is only 131 hours.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5127441

Somebody's gotta have some larger drives to try in their raid setups... I no longer have my 500GB pair.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #149
lawilson2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOD
Yeah, the fan will be a must for me. I wasn't sure about the spin-down issue w/ an external from the Tivo, but I guess it stands to reason as it seems that recordings will be done on both drives. Thanks for clearing it up.
After reading the multiple posts here about the fan being a must, I went to check out my drive enclosure. Sure enough, it's very warm. One of the reasons is that the Tivo essentially never spins down, so it's always running. That helped me to see that I needed one with a fan or I could shorten the life of this 750GB drive. So I ran to the store this evening and got this one from Ultra: http://microcenter.com/byos/byos_sin...duct_id=254908

A bit more expensive than the ones you can order online, but I like the option of taking it back to a physical store if needed like I am doing with the one I bought earlier. Thanks you all!

lawilson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #150
bkdtv

Edit: Updated first post.

I'll do some Q&A in the first post to answer commonly asked questions.

Common questions I've seen so far:

I previously upgraded the internal drive in my Series3. Can I still use eSATA expansion?
What is the maximum capacity supported?
Will programs recorded before I added the external drive be affected if I remove it?
Is there any disk preparation required?
How much recording time do I get with a 500Gb drive? With a 750Gb? With 1Tb?
Is this expansion sanctioned by Cable Labs?
What happens when I disconnect the eSATA drive?
What external eSATA solutions are confirmed to work?
What are recommended enclosures?
Does this work on both 8.1.x and 8.3.x?

Any other suggestions for Q&A?

Last edited by bkdtv : 05-06-2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: updated first post
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote