Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshdog
Anyone going to try a SATA raid?
Already been done.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #92
c3
TiVoholic

FWIW, most of the ready-made external drives have 1-year warranty only. If you want longer warranty such as 3 or 5 years, get an internal drive and an external enclosure.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:52 PM   #93
sriggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
FWIW, most of the ready-made external drives have 1-year warranty only. If you want longer warranty such as 3 or 5 years, get an internal drive and an external enclosure.
Right, my Segate 500gb I got from Frys for $119 and has a 5 year warranty. The enclosure I ordered is $48 shipped.

And if this TiVo deal falls apart before the enclosure arrives, I can use the drive with my MacBookPro (i have a eSata card)
Old 05-06-2007, 12:01 AM   #94
ckelly33

I have three S3 TiVo's. Anyone tried to port the external drive to a second TiVO? How does it respond when the drive is removed?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:01 AM   #95
jeffett

Also had problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
I tried it but couldn't get it to work either. I must be doing something wrong. I give up for the night unless someone has a brilliant idea.
I purchased the eSATA Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500gb @ my Sam's Club for $175 and got a 6' eSATA cable @ Fry's for $13 (BTW, Fry's wanted $220 for the same drive.).

I hooked it all up and followed the instructions and had the same problem Jack D did. Tried it one more time and noticed that the external drive was lit up but the drive wasn't spinning. I tapped the ON button on the front of the drive, got the drive spinning and then followed the instructions again. It worked perfectly the second time.

98 hours of HD, BABY!

Jack D, can you feel the Seagate drive spinning?
jeffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:10 AM   #96
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33
I have three S3 TiVo's. Anyone tried to port the external drive to a second TiVO?
That should not work, if TiVo has any hope of getting CableCard certification for eSATA.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:24 AM   #97
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac
Wellllll, kind of. While what that guy did is promising it isn't quite the same as plugging in a raid to the eSATA port and having it work. Maybe Lightrunner can give it a shot.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:29 AM   #98
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcann44
My drive is a regular internal drive in an enclosure without a fan but it has a huge screen to allow air in. I compared this to my old drive that didn't have any openings and it is much cooler (by touch) then my old eSATA that came with an enclosure.
What enclosure is this? I'd like a good enclosure, but not sure I want the noise of a fan.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:33 AM   #99
lawilson2

My Tivo reset an hour ago, and said that a serious error occurred and it would take 3 hours. It only took about 10 min but I have never had errors on my Tivo, so I will have to monitor this. I also had an info screen inadvertently pop up out of nowhere. I'll keep monitoring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lawilson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #100
mathewbeall

Upgraded with a 500gb seagate, worked like a charm following the instructions.

Matt
mathewbeall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:16 AM   #101
slimoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawilson2
I also had an info screen inadvertently pop up out of nowhere. I'll keep monitoring.

I'm getting this info screen popping out once or twice a day for the last 10 days or so. Still at 8.1 and no e-Sata yet.

Sergio
slimoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #102
Cpen
CPenRun

IDE to ESATA

I have a spare 250Gig EIDE Drive lying around. Does anyone know how I might be able to use it with my Series 3's ESATA port?

Does anyone make a drive enclosure that can take a 3.5inch IDE drive AND output to a ESATA?

-C-
Cpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #103
lcann44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
What enclosure is this? I'd like a good enclosure, but not sure I want the noise of a fan.
It's called PowerSpec. I purchased it at a retail store I'd never heard of before called Micro Center and it was 24.99. My Internal Hard drive is a Seagate Model ST3500641AS 500 gb NCQ 16 mb. It cost 159.99 and has a 5 year warranty.

I never heard of Micro Center. I went to Circuit City and they couldn't help me so they sent me there.

I think I got a good price for retail.
lcann44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:43 AM   #104
stevereis

Adding an eSATA drive with kickstart 62 only works with an unmodified S3 with the original factory drive, for now. There are folks investigating and unpublished details that adding eSATA to upgraded units may be possible with some kind of filesystem tweak.
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2007-05/...sata-backdoor/

Has anyone tried the opposite - adding an eSATA drive and then adding a larger capacity internal drive (copying all the content, etc.). I'm wondering if the internal upgrade will work if the original internal drive has already been married to an external drive. This is an attractive option for me as I could take the easy capacity upgrade route now with eSATA and then upgrade the internal drive later when I want to maximize capacity.

On those same lines, does anyone know what the max capacity is for a single drive and total system with eSATA? There have been reports that 1TB is the max for a single drive. With eSATA now available, posters in this thread have added 750GB for 1TB total but has anyone added a 1TB eSATA successfully and have more than 1TB total in the system? If it's 1TB max for the system, I would rather just upgrade the internal drive rather than have an external drive hanging off the side.

Finally, are these external enclosures quiet enough that I would benefit from a Seagate db35 'quiet' drive? Or, is there so much extra noise from the enclosure that the db35 is overkill and the cheaper non-db35 version would just as quiet overall?

648-S3 - 750GB - TWC (2xS) + ATSC
652-HD - 160GB - TWC (1xM) + ATSC
649-S2DT - 500GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
595-DRT800 - 300GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
240-S2 - 420 GB - TWC analog
stevereis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:49 AM   #105
Dssturbo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpen
I have a spare 250Gig EIDE Drive lying around. Does anyone know how I might be able to use it with my Series 3's ESATA port?

Does anyone make a drive enclosure that can take a 3.5inch IDE drive AND output to a ESATA?
this might do it for you.
http://www.satasite.com/sata-usb-dri...e-sata-ide.htm
takes eide drive
has sata output but does include a sata to esata cable adapter
Dssturbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #106
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjackson
Here's an interesting question - because the eSATA port was unusable prior to a recent software upgrade, should a user find the eSATA port is not functional for some reason or another -- and assuming the warranty is up on the Series3, what's the warranty status of repairing the port/logic board? The user has no way of knowing whether or not the port was functional until now. (Assuming this new feature is in fact legit which I imagine it is because of recent CableCard approvals on eSATA devices.)
Well, their answer would likely be (at this point) that the use of the eSATA port is not supported....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #107
lcann44

Quote:
This is more likely than a straight out disabling of the functionality since I doubt that when the functionality is released, this is the method that users would have to go through to enable it.
We are all indeed speculating at this point but I personally wouldn't be surprised if TiVo didn't make this the process to activate it. I'm saying this just based on other things like 30 sec skip and other various coded features.

When I had external hard drive on my cable company DVR there was a reboot process as well and instructions were never "officially" handed down from the cable company or SA. You would reboot after hook up, and powering up your eSATA then a message would come on the screen asking if you wanted to add this hard drive. Outside of the 62 kick, not much different really.
lcann44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #108
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams
For anyone looking for a dependable fan-cooled eSATA enclosure or complete HDD (currently using Seagate) including cables have a look at the Apricorn options. Lowest prices appear to be from newegg.com at the moment:

External eSATA enclosure (no HDD), $39.99 + shipping here . The current ad (and photos) indicates this is eSATA only, but reviews say it also has a USB port. I just ordered this one and will update this post when I receive it.
Is this actually an eSATA enclosure? In the desription it only says SATA. And the pictures of the back look like a SATA port. I have several enclosures right now that are SATA, not eSATA. The connectors are different for eSATA and SATA. If I get an enclosure I would like it to be an eSATA enclosure not SATA.
Just checking to make sure.

eSATA and SATA have different connectors. If the enclosure has what looks like at SATA connector then it's not an eSATA.

" The External connector has no L shaped key, and the guide features are vertically offset and reduced in size. This prevents the use of unshielded internal cables in external applications.

To prevent ESD damage, the insertion depth is increased from 5mm to 6.6mm and the contacts are mounted further back in both the receptacle and plug.

To provide EMI protection and meet FCC and CE emission requirements, the cable has an extra layer of shielding, and the connectors have metal contact points.

There are springs as retention features built into the connector shield on both the top and bottom surfaces. "
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 05-06-2007 at 10:39 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #109
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshdog
Wellllll, kind of. While what that guy did is promising it isn't quite the same as plugging in a raid to the eSATA port and having it work. Maybe Lightrunner can give it a shot.
Dunno if it's supported or not. I would think as long as the RAID looks like a drive to the TiVo it should work.

I was originally thinking that a RAID would be kind of pointless since the S3 apparently can't support more than 1 TB of storage, but then I remembered that a RAID 1 setup would be ideal because if a drive dies you can just hot-swap it and not lose any recordings. All that would be needed is a 2 bay RAID 1 setup (if it works).

Last edited by morac : 05-06-2007 at 10:50 AM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #110
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

Quote:
I remembered that a RAID 1 setup would be ideal because if a drive dies you can just hot-swap it and not lose any recordings. All that would be needed is a 2 bay RAID 1 setup (if it works).
That appealed to me as well. Redundancy good. Redundancy good.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #111
slimoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Is this actually an eSATA enclosure? In the desription it only says SATA. And the pictures of the back look like a SATA port. I have several enclosures right now that are SATA, not eSATA. The connectors are different for eSATA and SATA. If I get an enclosure I would like it to be an eSATA enclosure not SATA.
Just checking to make sure.

"

It looks to me this is a good choice. It's e-Sata for sure and maybe you are looking at a diffrent model. Here is the link:

http://www.apricorn.com/printer_deta...37&type=family

Sergio
slimoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #112
Dssturbo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Is this actually an eSATA enclosure? In the desription it only says SATA. And the pictures of the back look like a SATA port. I have several enclosures right now that are SATA, not eSATA. The connectors are different for eSATA and SATA. If I get an enclosure I would like it to be an eSATA enclosure not SATA. Just checking to make sure..... "

aaronwt,
you do not have to have an esata external drive enclosure, for you and others that already have external enclosures you can simply get a new cable with a sata connection (Type L) on one end and an esata connection (Type I) on the other, like this example for about $10.

http://www.satacables.com/html/sata_...al_cables.html

or this one gives better pics
http://www.satagear.com/eSATA-100_SA...nal_Cable.html

Last edited by Dssturbo1 : 05-06-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #113
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams
For anyone looking for a dependable fan-cooled eSATA enclosure or complete HDD (currently using Seagate) including cables have a look at the Apricorn options. Lowest prices appear to be from newegg.com at the moment:

External eSATA enclosure (no HDD), $39.99 + shipping here . The current ad (and photos) indicates this is eSATA only, but reviews say it also has a USB port. I just ordered this one and will update this post when I receive it.

Complete eSATA/USB drives, $113.99 (250GB), $198.99 (500GB) and $352.99 (750GB) + shipping here . (Be sure its an eSATA/USB, not USB only.)

Ive had good luck with these in small enclosures where heat can build up. They have a large but quiet fan that keeps the drive very cool. They should do the trick for an external TiVo eSATA application but no guarantees of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli
It looks to me this is a good choice. It's e-Sata for sure and maybe you are looking at a diffrent model. Here is the link:

http://www.apricorn.com/printer_deta...37&type=family
This looks like most popular case on the market for use with other DVRs that support eSATA expansion, like the SA8300HD with SARA. Most of the rave reviews on AVS were published before they added the bridge chip and USB interface, so it's not clear how that affected performance.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #114
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevereis

Finally, are these external enclosures quiet enough that I would benefit from a Seagate db35 'quiet' drive? Or, is there so much extra noise from the enclosure that the db35 is overkill and the cheaper non-db35 version would just as quiet overall?
I used the below linked drive and it's not any louder than the S3 itself, might even be a bit quieter. During normal TV viewing it's a non-issue. The DB35 is probably quieter but I'm not sure the decrease in noise is worth the cost. Depends a lot on where the drive is placed. At a distance of about 6' I can't even hear it, and that's with a dead silent room.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...0GB_Hard_Drive
CompUSA.com: Seagate eSATA 500GB Hard Drive - ST3500601XS-RK - Computer Upgrades Hard Drives
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:48 PM   #115
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...0GB_Hard_Drive
CompUSA.com: Seagate eSATA 500GB Hard Drive - ST3500601XS-RK - Computer Upgrades Hard Drives
Same drive is $20 less at Buy.com with free shipping. Though I was told it may not turn on automatically after a power outage. Something to research... or an argument for an UPS.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202636811
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #116
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

Wiebetech makes an enclosure that is eSATA only, no bridge. It is also fanless which I think is a plus for quietness. It is called ToughTech eSATA and is available from Wiebe's site for $39. Seems like a good choice. Check here WiebeTech for information and click the buy now button to see the price. It seems to be on sale even.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #117
Jerry_K
Don't know much

I am not getting the second drive activated. In an external enclosure with its own power supply. Drive spins, SATA to eSATA cable. Turn on the Tivo with the pause button pushed and I get the orange dot, then press 62 and the dot goes blank. No reboot, goes directly to the next screen boots with no extra drive. Tried it four times

Had remote set of 2, reset remote to 0 and it did reboot but no recognicion of the drive. Later maybe when I have more time.

15 TiVos of some type or the other over time

Tivoless now

Last edited by Jerry_K : 05-06-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Jerry_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #118
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
Same drive is $20 less at Buy.com with free shipping. Though I was told it may not turn on automatically after a power outage. Something to research... or an argument for an UPS.

At CompUSA they have some sort of promotion going on, it was $20 off the listed price. It cost $162 out the door.

I have my external drive plugged into the same power center as the S3 so if power goes out on the drive it will go out on the S3 as well. As far as not powering on after losing power, I don't know. I believe the Monster power center I'm using needs to be manually re-started after a power outage so at that point I can make sure the drive is powered up as well when re-starting the S3

If the S3 is powered up without the external drive being powered up will the recordings be lost forever?

I guess the question is, if power is ever removed from the external drive, are the recordings lost, requiring a re-marrying, re-booting, re-setup of the drive?
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #119
skweaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz

I picked this one up at CompUSA yesterday, there was an additonal $20 taken off at time of purchase (I think this mentioned earlier in this thread). It was $161, taxes included. Only slightly more than Buy.com if you must have it today.

Where did you hear about not turning on after a power failure? I have it on a UPS but I'm curious.
skweaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #120
Dssturbo1

it should not lose them. guessing it probably will come up with an on screen prompt to remarry/accept it back in the system.

my compusa got closed