TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #61
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
A dumb question: How did you shut the Tivo down?
I pulled the power plug. When everything was hooked up and the external drive was powered, I plugged the power cable back in while holding the pause button.

It seemed to reboot at least twice, maybe a third time, and then I got the 2nd drive screen. The whole power-on boot process took about 10-15 mins.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #62
synch22

staples just had the free agent pro 500gb for $209. I picked it up have not opened yet, i was under the impression it comes with the cable. I am ready to try it but thinking what my wife will say whne she finds out i put even more $$ into the tivo.

BYY whats the chances of Tivo turning this off once they find out about it and if they never had the intention of this being released.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #63
lcann44

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch22
staples just had the free agent pro 500gb for $209. I picked it up have not opened yet, i was under the impression it comes with the cable. I am ready to try it but thinking what my wife will say whne she finds out i put even more $$ into the tivo.

edit:

yikes just looked on amazon its $141 there. Looks like i wont be opening it up.

BYW whats the chances of Tivo turning this off once they find out about it and if they never had the intention of this being released.
You have to get her to understand that this isn't just for you, it's for the benefit of the entire house. Now she has more room to record shows she wants. If you got kids use them in the explanation too.

Always make sure you include the wife in the reason for purchase.
lcann44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #64
lawilson2

I bought this Seagate 750GB sata drive and it works great; installation was a snap! http://microcenter.com/byos/byos_sin...duct_id=249512

$259 with a $60 mail in rebate. I bought this enclosure for $49.99: http://microcenter.com/byos/byos_sin...duct_id=240919

I have an extra external cable now so that's cool.

131 hours for HD is awesome! I can now keep all of the Planet Earth's without fear of needing to delete for room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lawilson2 : 05-05-2007 at 05:30 PM.
lawilson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #65
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkomatic
Vantec NexStar 3 HD Enclosure (came with the SATA cable that I used to connect to the Tivo.

One thing I did notice while I was looking at enclosures was that some said they had a max capacity on the size HD you could use with it. Maybe some of the other experts here can comment on it but it looked like any enclosure could handle up to 500GB but above that and some might not work?
Question: does the Vantec enclosure have a fan?
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #66
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
I ended up getting a different drive. I went with the Seagate 500GB External Drive eSATA 3.0. Model No. ST3500601XS-RK

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...0GB_Hard_Drive
CompUSA.com: Seagate eSATA 500GB Hard Drive - ST3500601XS-RK - Computer Upgrades » Hard Drives

It was $162 out the door, there was some sort of $20 discount program, plus it comes with a 6' eSATA cable.

Works perfect!

Used with 8.3.1
I happen to have one of those too. I tried it but couldn't get it to work either. I must be doing something wrong. I give up for the night unless someone has a brilliant idea.
Jack D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #67
synch22

the free agent pro does not come with a esata cable...the guy told me he thought it did. WIll staples carry the cable? How much do they run.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #68
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2k5
That's because I was sitting on it until I saw that post.
It's not a hack but a discovery. It's built into software 8.1 & 8.3 already.

I got no help from Tivo Inc. but I will take it if they offer
Ahhh ... right cause, wrong effect.

Sorry 'bout that ... good work / discovery!
dt_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #69
lawilson2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud
Question: does the Vantec enclosure have a fan?
No fan. http://reviews.cnet.com/Vantec_NexSt...7.html?tag=sub

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #70
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
I happen to have one of those too. I tried it but couldn't get it to work either. I must be doing something wrong. I give up for the night unless someone has a brilliant idea.
I haven't tried a eSATA drive yet but try making sure your S3 remote to set to IR ID 0. Press and hold the PAUSE and TiVo buttons simultaneously until the red light at the end of the remote control comes on, remains steady, and then stays on when you release the buttons. Then press 0 and the red light should blink 3 times. Then try the eSATA procedure again.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #71
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawilson2
No fan.
Thanks.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #72
keenanSR

Quote:
the free agent pro does not come with a esata cable...the guy told me he thought it did. WIll staples carry the cable? How much do they run.
I don't know about Staples, but I checked Best Buy, Office Depot, CompUSA and Circuit City and could not find a eSATA cable. I wanted to get at least a 6' cable in case the cable supplied with the drive I purchased was too short. Turns out it came with a 6' cable.

I suspect that other than a specialized computer store, an eSATA cable would probably have to purchased online.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #73
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
500GB eSATA drive WITH cable for $135 shipped via NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822101030
I just ordered one of these...exciting news!

(About the activation, not my order...)

(Well, my order is exciting too, but probably more for me than anybody else.)
Old 05-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #74
sparkomatic

Quote:
Yep, no fan. I think the box advertised that the glossy metal or aluminum finish actually keeps the drive "cool". Not sure I believe that 100%. I would have liked a fan but there was only one enclosure there with a fan out of all of them so I thought it might not be to bad if it didn't have one.
sparkomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #75
pcjackson

Here's an interesting question - because the eSATA port was unusable prior to a recent software upgrade, should a user find the eSATA port is not functional for some reason or another -- and assuming the warranty is up on the Series3, what's the warranty status of repairing the port/logic board? The user has no way of knowing whether or not the port was functional until now. (Assuming this new feature is in fact legit which I imagine it is because of recent CableCard approvals on eSATA devices.)
pcjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #76
synch22

can someone educate me.

Do i need the Free Agent Pro from seagate or can i use the freeagent.

I see a huge cost difference, they both say esata. So are they the same thing but one has firewire? I see harddrives advertising esata....but are they true esata?
Old 05-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #77
pcjackson

I bought the Free Agent Pro 750GB and it works fine on the Series3. Not sure what the difference is, though. The pro does not have firewire - it has USB 2.0. That said, there is a Pro being advertised on BB.com with firewire. Maybe they have a few flavors or maybe the site is -f-d up.
pcjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #78
morac
Cat God

I'd be careful before jumping headfirst into this. Since the eSATA drive has not been official announced as operational, there is nothing that says it won't be disabled or something might change in a future software release that would cause you to lose all your recordings made after the eSATA drive was attached. Of course the same thing could be said if the eSATA drive goes bad.

If you don't care or think it's worth the risk, then go ahead, but do so at your own risk.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #79
lawilson2

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac
I'd be careful before jumping headfirst into this. Since the eSATA drive has not been official announced as operational, there is nothing that says it won't be disabled or something might change in a future software release that would cause you to lose all your recordings made after the eSATA drive was attached. Of course the same thing could be said if the eSATA drive goes bad.

If you don't care or think it's worth the risk, then go ahead, but do so at your own risk.
I look at it this way, if they disable it and I can't use it anymore, then I have a great external 750GB hard drive for my PC. My external enclosure came with an adapter to add to the back of my PC, so it's not an issue for me as far as being out of money.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #80
myosh_tino

Works for me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkomatic
Maxtor SATA II/300 Internal Hard Drive Kit (500GB)
Vantec NexStar 3 HD Enclosure (came with the SATA cable that I used to connect to the Tivo
Went out to Fry's today and got the Maxtor 500 GB hard drive and the same Vantec enclosure. Came home, installed the drive in the case and followed the instructions. Works like a charm. HD recording time jumped to 98 hours and SD recording time is now almost 1000 hours.

The Fry's store I went to had the 500 GB SATA/II Maxtor drives (retail kit) for $130.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #81
dieman

Quote:
If you are at microcenter you might want the 'sata' powerspec case, which has no usb2, and is half the price. ($25) also no fan.
dieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #82
jfh3

buy.com has this:
Seagate FreeAgent Pro - 750GB, 7200 RPM, USB 2.0, eSATA, External Hard Drive - ST307504FPA1E2-RK
for $249.99.

bkdtv said in another thread that an external drive with no external controller chip would be better, but I can't find a 750GB drive + an enclosure for this $.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #83
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
I haven't tried a eSATA drive yet but try making sure your S3 remote to set to IR ID 0. Press and hold the PAUSE and TiVo buttons simultaneously until the red light at the end of the remote control comes on, remains steady, and then stays on when you release the buttons. Then press 0 and the red light should blink 3 times. Then try the eSATA procedure again.
Is having the remote set to code 0 a requirement? This would make using this procedure much more of a pain for me with 5 active Tivos ...
Old 05-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #84
synch22

so does the original hard drive still record shows?

How about power for the external, does it have to be left on at all times like the tivo?
Old 05-05-2007, 08:31 PM   #85
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
buy.com has this:
Seagate FreeAgent Pro - 750GB, 7200 RPM, USB 2.0, eSATA, External Hard Drive - ST307504FPA1E2-RK
for $249.99.

bkdtv said in another thread that an external drive with no external controller chip would be better, but I can't find a 750GB drive + an enclosure for this $.
Using an external drive without an extra controller chip ensures that you get maximum possible performance from a particular drive.

From the reviews I've read in the past, some solutions with bridge chipsets degrade performance significantly, while others do not harm performance at all. On one SATA enclosure with a bridge chipset, you might lose 20% performance. On another, you might lose 2%. On still another, the SATA connection might be split before it enters the bridge, so you lose nothing. Updated.

The real problem is distinguishing the bridge solutions that significantly degrade performance from those that do not. Published reviews and comparisons on these products are pretty sparse. The easiest way to ensure that you are getting top performance from your hard drive is by picking a solution without a controller. However, if you know what to buy, bridge solutions are still available with good performance.

I think you'd be fine with the product linked above. Do you really care whether a search takes 25 seconds or 30 seconds? Given the choice between a $250 product that did a search in 30 seconds and a $400 product that did the same search in 25 seconds, I think most members would choose the cheaper unit.

Last edited by bkdtv : 05-06-2007 at 07:14 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #86
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
I think you'd be fine with the product linked above. Do you really care whether a search takes 25 seconds or 30 seconds? Given the choice between a $250 product that did a search in 30 seconds and a $400 product that did the same search in 25 seconds, I think most members would choose the cheaper unit.
Thanks. I understood the difference in performance, but had no idea how much difference it would make on a Tivo. I figure I'll get this unit, and if I have any problems, let my wife use it for storing her her audio books.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #87
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

Anyone going to try a SATA raid?
Old 05-05-2007, 09:36 PM   #88
lcann44

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac

Well, I'm certainly concerned about it but as someone else already pointed out the genie is out of the bottle. Anyway it's not like we hacked into it. And if you read the rest of the thread Cable Labs made a favorable ruling on the eSATA port.

I go along with the theory that once this ruling was made somebody at TiVo leaked the info. And as the water rushes out of the damn, it's going to be mighty hard to stop it. I'm more then willing to take the risk.

My drive is a regular internal drive in an enclosure without a fan but it has a huge screen to allow air in. I compared this to my old drive that didn't have any openings and it is much cooler (by touch) then my old eSATA that came with an enclosure.

And think positive!
lcann44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #89
morac
Cat God

Quote:
so does the original hard drive still record shows?

How about power for the external, does it have to be left on at all times like the tivo?
The external drive would need to be powered up and on at all times since the TiVo would now be using both drives to record programs. If the external drive were powered off the TiVo would shut down and pop up that warning screen as shown in the Engadget article.

Though it is always a good idea to use a UPS with TiVos, this basically makes it mandatory since you don't want power going out on the eSATA drive.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #90
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcann44
Well, I'm certainly concerned about it but as someone else already pointed out the genie is out of the bottle. Anyway it's not like we hacked into it. And if you read the rest of the thread Cable Labs made a favorable ruling on the eSATA port.

I go along with the theory that once this ruling was made somebody at TiVo leaked the info. And as the water rushes out of the damn, it's going to be mighty hard to stop it. I'm more then willing to take the risk.
I'm not saying TiVo will disable it, I'm just saying it is possible. Genie or no Genie, TiVo could do so, though I agree it is unlikely at this point. The other possibility is that they make changes to the way the drive pairings work which makes it incompatible with what is used now. This is more likely than a straight out disabling of the functionality since I doubt that when the functionality is released, this is the method that users would have to go through to enable it. There was also speculation that TiVo might need to make some changes to comply with the new Cable Labs ruling on external storage.

Also the person who released this already stated he found it on his own without help from TiVo.