TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #31
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc
BTW, I find it interesting that this 'hack' magically surfaced right after CableLabs released their revised license agreement which allows for external drives ... me-thinks someone from Tivo dropped the dime themselves.
That's because I was sitting on it until I saw that post.
It's not a hack but a discovery. It's built into software 8.1 & 8.3 already.

I got no help from Tivo Inc. but I will take it if they offer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #32
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmace
You don't have to reformat it. You do have to remove the NTSF partition with fdisk. Connect to your windows [i'm guesssing] machine Start | Run | CMD type fdisk and press enter. Make sure you clobber the external drive and not the internal one. If you don't know what I'm talking about, find someone who's comfortable with all this. Seagate may have some software that will do this for you relatively safely
OK I wiped the partition using Partition Commander. Went through the procedure with the T3 again and still didn't work.

Some dumb questions : The only way I know how to turn the T3 off is to unplug it. When I do that I have to reach around back to plug it in again to turn it on. So there is a very short amount of time when the T3 starts booting before I can get to the front, point the remote at it and press the pause button. Could that be the problem? Other than that the only thing I can think is that somehow I'm not doing the "62" correctly. You just push the 6 and then the 2 in rapid sucession?

Thanks for any further help.
Jack D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #33
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
OK I wiped the partition using Partition Commander. Went through the procedure with the T3 again and still didn't work.

Some dumb questions : The only way I know how to turn the T3 off is to unplug it. When I do that I have to reach around back to plug it in again to turn it on. So there is a very short amount of time when the T3 starts booting before I can get to the front point the remote at it and press the pause button. Could that be the problem? Other than that the only thing I can think is that somehow I'm not doing the "62" correctly. You just push the 6 and then the 2 in rapid sucession?

Thanks for any further help.
You don't have to remove partition. Tivo takes care of that when you do kickstart 62.
Are you using eSATA cabel or usb?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #34
bdraw

This was discovered on the other forum back in February (search SATA), but no one actually tested it till yesterday when it was posted here by spike2k5.

The drive I used (the pictures on Engadget) had both a USB port and a eSATA port. The drive itself was formated on a Mac and had both a HFS+ and FAT32 partition on it. After using it on the TiVo the drive had the following partition table.

Code:
/dev/disk2
   #:                   type name               size      identifier
   0: Apple_partition_scheme                    *111.8 GB disk2
   1:    Apple_partition_map                    31.5 KB   disk2s1
   2:                    MFS                    2.0 MB    disk2s2
   3:                    MFS                    111.8 GB  disk2s3

bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #35
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2k5
You don't have to remove partition. Tivo takes care of that when you do kickstart 62.
Are you using eSATA cabel or usb?
Well I was just responding to the suggestion that I should get rid of the NTFS formating so I wiped the partition.

I'm using the eSata cable.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #36
spike2k5

Quote:
Well I was just responding to the suggestion that I should get rid of the NTFS formating so I wiped the partition.

I'm using the eSata cable.
Are you wating long enough with your pause button?

You should hold on to it unitl front panel turns black, orange LED on then let go.

Orange LED should be on until you type 62

Old 05-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #37
Jack D

Quote:
Are you wating long enough with your pause button?

You should hold on to it unitl front panel turns black, orange LED on then let go.

Orange LED should be on until you type 62
Sorry, as you know, I have this question posted in both threads. So we are repeating ourselves. Yes I must be doing something wrong because the orange light does not stay on after I release the pause button. I keep the pause button pushed down throughout the boot up process......
Old 05-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #38
Boot
to the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrrepair
I wonder if the final version that will be officially released will allow people with larger upgraded HD to hook this up?
Actually, my biggest concern is that this was implemented based on an older scheme, not the one that CableLabs approved, and that once we get the real deal, any recordings on our external drive will be lost.

That could explain Pony's silence.

"
" - GiGi
Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #39
keenanSR

Quote:
Sorry, as you know, I have this question posted in both threads. So we are repeating ourselves. Yes I must be doing something wrong because the orange light does not stay on after I release the pause button. I keep the pause button pushed down throughout the boot up process......
I'll be picking up the very same drive in a few hours, I'll post my experience when I do, hopefully I/we can figure it out. I saw mention that this drive does not come with an eSATA cable, is it possible that the internal connection is not eSATA, and that may be causing the problem?

BTW, not sure if it's been mentioned, but what happens when/if you remove the external drive, will the S3 need to completely re-set up, or will it just do a restart, retaining all your settings and previous recordings?
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #40
rdrrepair
You can call me Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
BTW, not sure if it's been mentioned, but what happens when/if you remove the external drive, will the S3 need to completely re-set up, or will it just do a restart, retaining all your settings and previous recordings?
Read this - screen shots too.
Good screen shots and other info
Old 05-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #41
Jack D

Quote:
I'll be picking up the very same drive in a few hours, I'll post my experience when I do, hopefully I/we can figure it out. I saw mention that this drive does not come with an eSATA cable, is it possible that the internal connection is not eSATA, and that may be causing the problem?

Well it says right on the unit where the sata connection is that it is eSata. I don't think I've unplugged the drive when the T3 is on but since I haven't succeded in getting the T3 to recognize the drive I don't think it matters at this point.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #42
Jack D

Quote:
I tried again and this time I kept pushing the pause button even when the orange light came on but it only stayed on for a second. So I don't think it was that I was releasing the pause button too quickly.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #43
spike2k5

Quote:
If you remove eSATA drive or turn it off during reboot, you will get a "want to divorce screen".
Looks like it tries to save some shows but I'm not sure how much. Most likely shows that were on eSATA drive will be lost. Some shows on "A" drive that have partial recordings on eSATA drives will be lost I think.

Settings are all stored on "A" drive so you don't have to worry about that.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #44
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrrepair
Read this - screen shots too.
Good screen shots and other info
Thanks, it's a little vague, but it appears everything should be okay.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #45
keenanSR

Quote:
If you remove eSATA drive or turn it off during reboot, you will get a "want to divorce screen".
Looks like it tries to save some shows but I'm not sure how much. Most likely shows that were on eSATA drive will be lost. Some shows on "A" drive that have partial recordings on eSATA drives will be lost I think.

Settings are all stored on "A" drive so you don't have to worry about that.
Okay, that makes sense on the settings part, the disclaimer is a little vague though on if just the recordings made while the external drive was attached are lost, or if all of them are lost. Logically though, the original recordings are probably safe as they were never on the eSATA drive in the first place.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:37 PM   #46
spike2k5

Quote:
I tried again and this time I kept pushing the pause button even when the orange light came on but it only stayed on for a second. So I don't think it was that I was releasing the pause button too quickly.
So something is not right.
Orange light should stay on longer than a second.

Keep hitting 62 and see what happens.

If you can't get the kickstart 62 to work, there is another way to do it.
If you are comfortable with opening your tivo & have a computer with SATA ports, you can do it that way too so not all is lost.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #47
Jack D

Quote:
So something is not right.
Orange light should stay on longer than a second.

Keep hitting 62 and see what happens.

If you can't get the kickstart 62 to work, there is another way to do it.
If you are comfortable with opening your tivo & have a computer with SATA ports, you can do it that way too so not all is lost.
I tried hitting 6 2 a bunch of times but no luck. What do I have to do if I open the T3?
Old 05-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #48
lcann44

Wow, what a day. I didn't have faith in the first eSATA I hooked up as I was getting error messages from a blinking light so even though TiVo acknowledged the drive and space available, I decided to disconnect and install another eSATA drive.

Scarry when it said it would "likely" remove recorded programs, but I figured since they were all recorded on the internal hard drive that wouldn't happen. Fortunately it didn't.

So off I went and came home with a Seagate 500gb drive and an enclosure. Sure, I could have done better on the internet but I'm already pushing it now as it is and it's sweeps month. So now I have 98 hours HD, 927 SD hours. That's plenty for me. Man, this is great!
lcann44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #49
moxie1617

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcann44
So now I have 98 hours HD, 927 SD hours. That's plenty for me. Man, this is great!
That was on 8.3, right?
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #50
lcann44

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617
That was on 8.3, right?
That's correct.
lcann44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #51
Carsten

Is there any speed requirements? I have noticed the Engadget folks used a 2.5 in HDD. Which I'm sure they dont perform like the 3.5in 7200 RPM hdds?

Any thoughts?

Luckly, today is the day my warranty runs out. Which means....I'm gonna open her up and see if I can build something to mount another hdd internally.

Major props Spike2k5!
Carsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #52
sparkomatic

Success!

I worked like a charm for me so I thought I'd post the equipment I used for everyone else.

Tivo 8.1.1-01-2-648
Jumped from 32 hrs HD to 98 hrs HD

Maxtor SATA II/300 Internal Hard Drive Kit (500GB)
Vantec NexStar 3 HD Enclosure (came with the SATA cable that I used to connect to the Tivo

One thing I did notice while I was looking at enclosures was that some said they had a max capacity on the size HD you could use with it. Maybe some of the other experts here can comment on it but it looked like any enclosure could handle up to 500GB but above that and some might not work?
sparkomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #53
pcjackson

Worked for me...

I used a Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB HD - my recording time jumped to 131HD, 1244SD. What a great day...
pcjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #54
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjackson
I used a Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB HD - my recording time jumped to 131HD, 1244SD. What a great day...
That is what I've been trying to use but I can't seem to get it to work. Did you just plug it in out of the box? Anything you can share?
Old 05-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #55
pcjackson

Just plugged it in out of the box... (Just bought it at BB - never plugged it into a computer.) Used an eSata cable I had lying around. Shut the TiVo down and followed instructions on Engadget. All worked happily.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #56
Jack D

Quote:
Just plugged it in out of the box... (Just bought it at BB - never plugged it into a computer.) Used an eSata cable I had lying around. Shut the TiVo down and followed instructions on Engadget. All worked happily.
A dumb question: How did you shut the Tivo down?
Old 05-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #57
pmace

Quote:

8.3?
pmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:35 PM   #58
pcjackson

Hrmm, 8.1.1.

Interesting - we'll have to see what happens when 8.3 installs.

/pj
Old 05-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #59
Jack D

Quote:
Hrmm, 8.1.1.

Interesting - we'll have to see what happens when 8.3 installs.

/pj
Yeah well I have 8.3.......and I can't seem to get it to work. But icann44 said he got it to work with 8.3.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #60
keenanSR

Quote:
Yeah well I have 8.3.......and I can't seem to get it to work. But icann44 said he got it to work with 8.3.
I ended up getting a different drive. I went with the Seagate 500GB External Drive eSATA 3.0. Model No. ST3500601XS-RK

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...0GB_Hard_Drive
CompUSA.com: Seagate eSATA 500GB Hard Drive - ST3500601XS-RK - Computer Upgrades » Hard Drives

It was $162 out the door, there was some sort of $20 discount program, plus it comes with a 6' eSATA cable.

Works perfect!

Used with 8.3.1