TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #301
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
I haven't tried a eSATA drive yet but try making sure your S3 remote to set to IR ID 0. Press and hold the PAUSE and TiVo buttons simultaneously until the red light at the end of the remote control comes on, remains steady, and then stays on when you release the buttons. Then press 0 and the red light should blink 3 times. Then try the eSATA procedure again.
Dude I don't know you but I LOVE YOU!!!

I was too lazy to do what you suggested but you got me to thinking about the remote. I normally don't use the TIVO remote. I use a Harmony 890. So I tried the process using the Harmony and it worked!

I think you must have been on to something that probably the TIVO remote is not set to IR ID 0. I don't know why that would be as I didn't do anything consciously to change it and I assume that is the default setting. The only other thing I can think is that somehow having the Harmony hooked up (I control the TIVO via an RF extender) interfered with the TIVO remote (although basic functions can be controlled just fine with the TIVO remote).

In any case, muchas gracias amigo. Good call.

Just for the record, I have FW 8.3 and to remind all I am using the Seagate FreeAgentPro 750gb drive.
Jack D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #302
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee
How noisy do you think it'll be sitting in a ventilated media center?
Noisy. Mine is behind glass and it bugs me. In fact, using either my Thecus or the SataVault is so distracting I am probably not going to use either long term.

Having two drives isn't helping with the sound level obviously.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #303
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
I think you must have been on to something that probably the TIVO remote is not set to IR ID 0.
My Tivo remote is not currently set to IR ID 0 and seems to work with Kickstart.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #304
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
Just for the record, I have FW 8.3 and to remind all I am using the Seagate FreeAgentPro 750gb drive.
Does this unit have a fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
I tested the following eSATA/USB2 enclosure with Seagate 7200.9 ST3500641AS 500GB SATA drive and it works fine. It comes with eSATA and USB cables.
Thanks sfhub. First post updated. Here's the current list for those that haven't checked the first post recently:

What eSATA solutions (drive+enclosure) are confirmed to work?
Code:
Make             Model             Capacity         Fan?        Physical on/off switch?
Apricorn         EZ Bus DTS        250-750Gb        Yes         No
Cavalry          CAXM37500         500Gb            Yes         Yes
Seagate          ST3500601XS-RK    500Gb            No          No
Seagate          Free Agent        250-500Gb        No          No
Seagate          Free Agent Pro    320-750Gb        No          No
Western Digital  WD5000F032        500GB            No          Yes
What eSATA enclosures are confirmed to work with a user-supplied SATA drive?
Code:
Make             Model               Fan?      Bridge chip?     Physical on/off switch?
Adaptec          ACS-300             No        Yes              Yes
Apricorn         EZ Bus DTS          Yes       Yes              No
CoolGear         SataVault           Yes(2)    Yes              Yes
Icy Dock         MB559               No        Yes              Yes
Kingwin          JT-35EU             Yes       Yes              No
Sans Digital     MS2UT               Yes(2)    Yes              Yes
Thecus           N2050               Yes       Yes              No
Vantec           NexStar3            No        Yes              Yes
If you're using something else, please send me a private message.

Last edited by bkdtv : 05-09-2007 at 11:29 AM. Reason: updated to reflect posts below
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #305
keenanSR

[*] What eSATA solutions (drive+enclosure) are confirmed to work?
Code:
Make             Model             Capacity         Fan?        Physical on/off switch?

Seagate          ST3500601XS-RK    500Gb            No          No
Confirmed no fan and no hard power switch
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #306
demon
BURNINATOR

Success! I've upgraded my TiVo Series3 with a WD MyBook Premium ES 500 GB drive. Unfortunately my patience initially wasn't good enough, and I think it would've worked if I had just waited; after a few tries, I unplugged the drive, plugged it back in, and turned the TiVo back on with the eSATA drive powered off. After that, then doing a "kickstart 6 2", it hesitated for a moment, and then told me my new drive was activated. Consider this another recommendation to anyone who hasn't already tried it - it's well worth it.

Code:

Western Digital  WD5000F032        500GB            No          Yes

Last edited by demon : 05-08-2007 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Include device info table
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #307
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Code:

...I haven't tested what happens when you pull the plug and start it up again, but the on/off button clicks in when it's on and out when it's off.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #308
kylen

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon
after a few tries, I unplugged the drive, plugged it back in, and turned the TiVo back on with the eSATA drive powered off. After that, then doing a "kickstart 6 2", it hesitated for a moment, and then told me my new drive was activated. Consider this another recommendation to anyone who hasn't already tried it - it's well worth it.
Are you saying you got this to work with the drive OFF?
kylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #309
demon
BURNINATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylen
Are you saying you got this to work with the drive OFF?
No, the drive automatically powered itself on when the TiVo was powered on. I didn't fully understand that from the drive's documentation (and it claimed it wouldn't automatically power on via eSATA - it did though).
Old 05-08-2007, 10:16 PM   #310
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Does this unit have a fan?
No fan.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:17 PM   #311
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns
My Tivo remote is not currently set to IR ID 0 and seems to work with Kickstart.
Hmm. well maybe it had something to do with my Harmony remote?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #312
msu2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
Code:

...I haven't tested what happens when you pull the plug and start it up again, but the on/off button clicks in when it's on and out when it's off.
Rob, I have that same Cavalry drive on order. Very happy to see it works. Did it work right out of the box or did you have to format it or something?
msu2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:11 PM   #313
Mikial007

Maybe this will help...

I was tring to set up a Free Agent Pro 750, and could not get the drive recognized. After playing with cables and repeating the setup proceedure about 10 times, I was ready to give up entirely.

On a whim, I replaced the remote batteries with new ones.

With new batteries, the TiVo recognized the drive first time around. May be coincidence, but may be worth a try to those having difficulties.
Mikial007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:28 PM   #314
wdave

Quote:
What eSATA enclosures are confirmed to work with a user-supplied SATA drive?
Code:
Make             Model               Fan?      Bridge chip?     Physical on/off switch?
ICY DOCK         MB559               No        Yes              Yes
Worked great. Easy to install the drive on the sled. Solid and well built. It's this one from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817198003
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:08 AM   #315
tase2
Shy Guy

Not being a computer whiz, I have a question of which I think I know the answer, but want to be sure.

Say I have a 750Gb upgrade internal drive from one of the upgrade companies.
And say I have a new S3 on the way.
This particular drive has months worth of recording on it already.

Is there anyway to make this work as a eSATA drive?

Actually it sound pretty dumb now that I have reread my question, but what the heck.
tase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #316
rjom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
Code:

Bought this off Buy.com, but had trouble getting the "Rebate Request #" required for the rebate from the Calvary site. Anyone else have this problem? Also, would be interested to know if people had to open up to change jumper...Saw this problem on reviews on various sites. Glad to know about this potential problem. Thanks. RJOM
rjom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #317
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tase2
Not being a computer whiz, I have a question of which I think I know the answer, but want to be sure.

Say I have a 750Gb upgrade internal drive from one of the upgrade companies.
And say I have a new S3 on the way.
This particular drive has months worth of recording on it already.

Is there anyway to make this work as a eSATA drive?

Actually it sound pretty dumb now that I have reread my question, but what the heck.
You can make it work as an eSata drvie but you can't save the data that is already on there because the TIVO deletes the basic disc partition on the eSata drive in the process of activating it.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #318
arno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikial007
On a whim, I replaced the remote batteries with new ones.

With new batteries, the TiVo recognized the drive first time around. May be coincidence, but may be worth a try to those having difficulties.

When I first saw the procedure to add an ESATA the first thing that
came to mind was I'd better be sure the remote has new batteries. My
500gb seagate is coming today, the remote is waiting with fresh
batteries installed.

a'
arno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #319
moxie1617

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee
How noisy do you think it'll be sitting in a ventilated media center?
From a review at the newgg.com site re the Sans Digital MS2UT.

Cons: Fan is too noisy for placement near entertainment area--it makes dialog hard to hear for us middle-aged boomers.
Other Thoughts: I bought this to use as an external hard drive with the SA8300 DVR. Setup was easy with the included eSATA cable. The SA8300 DVR sees this RAID array as one drive, which is as it should be. However, I set this up near the bedroom TV, and it's too noisy for this application. I'll have to find alternate cooling, or move it out of the room
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:02 AM   #320
cwoody222

I'm not sure I need this but if it's easy and cheap, what the heck.

What I REALLY need is more space on my PC (iMac). Could I connect the eSATA to the TiVo and - simultaneously - to my computer via USB to solve both my needs?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #321
demon
BURNINATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222
I'm not sure I need this but if it's easy and cheap, what the heck.

What I REALLY need is more space on my PC (iMac). Could I connect the eSATA to the TiVo and - simultaneously - to my computer via USB to solve both my needs?
The controllers in most enclosures will only work with one interface at a time. That said, even if it did work, you couldn't do that - the TiVo puts on a Mac partition table and makes an MFS partition covering the whole disk, so you can't just split the drive up. (Even if you could, the performance would probably be pretty terrible.)

Maybe just get a smaller drive for the TiVo, and use the remaining money to get a separate drive for your Mac?

Last edited by demon : 05-09-2007 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #322
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Has anyone gotten ahold of and tried the Antec MX-1 enclosure yet?

I want a TCF user review!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #323
lcann44

I know this isn't a heck of a lot to go on but I believe we do have an acknowledgement from TiVoPony that they are aware of the eSATA situation. Take a look here and you see him mention it.

I have of course tried to see if I can't pull more info out. I'll probably not get a response but at least it was worth a try.
lcann44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #324
bkdtv

Could someone state the capacity reported on the Tivo's system information screen with 250Gb, 500Gb, 750Gb, and 1Gb eSATA drives?

The FAQ currently lists minimum (i.e. worst case) recording times based on full ATSC bitrates, but the Tivo number is meant to be an indicator of real world use with a variety of content.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #325
rdrrepair
You can call me Bill

Here's a question. What happens to the show that was watched and then deleted? When you remove the Esata, is the deleted program still showing up on the original drive in the garbage can as a recently deleted item? Can it be retrieved then?

I would think no, but, I don't have it so I can't try it.

Last edited by rdrrepair : 05-09-2007 at 01:21 PM.
rdrrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #326
Dajad

Thanks for all the info bkdtv.

I have a suggestion for the FAQ. Rather than the column saying whether it has a power on/off switch, can you add a column that indicates if the unit will turn itself on automatically after a power failure. That is the relevant question isn't it? We don't want an eSata that isn't turned on after a power failure ends. I don't think the on/off switch question gives the needed info. For example, a unit that doesn't have an on/off switch may very well boot up as soon as it gets power again - or it might not. And, it may be that a unit with a power switch will switch off even if the switch is on after a power failure. Or am I missing something?

Like many others, I'm waiting for official TiVo comment before I do this. I don't want a software "upgrade" to knock out potentially more than a hundred hours of recordings in a couple months.

FOR THE CANADIANS OUT THERE:

I'm finding a number of the discussed eSata drives discussed in this thread can be found through the PriceCanada.com website for some decent prices:

http://www.pricecanada.com/

Also TigerDirect.ca has some of them.

Unfortunately virtually every U.S. retailer discussed in this thread doesn't ship to Canada and the major big box stores in Canada (Future Shop and Best Buy) don't carry ANY eSATA drives.

Thanks to all involved with this. I'm quite keen on expanding my S3 - now if only TiVo would provide me with the ATSC guide data that my Buffalo friends just 50 miles away already have!!

...Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- Get the gifts you REALLY want! (now in public beta) -

Last edited by Dajad : 05-09-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Dajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #327
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Could someone state the capacity reported on the Tivo's system information screen with 250Gb, 500Gb, 750Gb, and 1Gb eSATA drives?
stock = 32 hrs
add 250GB = 65 hrs (educated guess)
add 500GB = 98 hrs
add 750GB = 131 hrs
add 800GB = 138 hrs
add 1TB = 165 hrs
Old 05-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #328
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajad

Unfortunately virtually every U.S. retailer discussed in this thread doesn't ship to Canada and the major big box stores in Canada (Future Shop and Best Buy) don't carry ANY eSATA drives.

...Dale
Yeah, well at least you aren't surrounded by gun-toters...
Old 05-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #329
jwehman

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns
stock = 32 hrs
add 250GB = 65 hrs (educated guess)
add 500GB = 98 hrs
add 750GB = 131 hrs
add 800GB = 138 hrs
add 1TB = 165 hrs
750GB internal + 750GB E-sata (1.5TB total) = 198HD hours, as reported by the S3 information screen.
jwehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #330
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwehman
750GB internal + 750GB E-sata (1.5TB total) = 198HD hours, as reported by the S3 information screen.
Can you elaborate please on the method you used to attach a E-SATA drive to a S3 with an already upgraded hard drive?
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote