TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #241
flyerman

Pulled internal HD and started Seatools. It passes short test so far but did give me an error "temp reached 122 do you want to continue." I am in the process of runnning long test.
flyerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #242
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerman
Pulled internal HD and started Seatools. It passes short test so far but did give me an error "temp reached 122 do you want to continue." I am in the process of runnning long test.
What enclosure are you using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #243
flyerman

I am using a "XGEAR" that supports usb and esata. I had the hard drive out of the enclosure so it would stay cooler but still connected. This had been working fine for weeks.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:37 AM   #244
spike2k5

Quote:
I am using a "XGEAR" that supports usb and esata. I had the hard drive out of the enclosure so it would stay cooler but still connected. This had been working fine for weeks.
Try an enclosure w/ a fan or two.

Also, good quality eSATA II cable makes a big difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #245
flyerman

I will try another enclosure and cable. I ran Seatools on the internal drive and it passed long and short but did give me an error:

Drive Fails Pretest SMARTCHECKS

Overtemp -- 122

Does this mean the drive is bad??
Old 09-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #246
spike2k5

Quote:
I will try another enclosure and cable. I ran Seatools on the internal drive and it passed long and short but did give me an error:

Drive Fails Pretest SMARTCHECKS

Overtemp -- 122

Does this mean the drive is bad??
I'm not sure that means but you can contact Seagate and see what they say.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #247
richsadams

Quote:
I have upgraded my Series 3 with a Seagate 750 GB HD ST3750640AS. It has been working for weeks with no problems. Now it started to stutter and freeze a little. It has been getting worse the past week, so I ran test on the external drive with Seatools and it has found that the drive is ok. I am trying to delete the already deleted shows (166) to make room as indicated above. I guess my next try will be to open up and test the internal drive.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
The symptoms could be related to the eSATA drive or may have nothing to do with it as they've been reported since S1's were around and usually indicates a problem with the HDD.

As Spike suggested, a new eSATA cable and enclosure might be all that's needed.

Also, have you tried running TiVo's built-in diagnostics, Kickstart 57? It's not a cure-all, but can remedy things now and then.

Kickstart 57:

1. Unplug TiVo and wait 15 seconds.
2. Plug TiVo in, get the TiVo remote and aim it at TiVo.
3. Press and hold the pause button until the orange light comes back on by itself.
4. Release the pause button and immediately type in the numbers 5 and 7 on the remote (you have about 10 seconds to do this step).
5. TiVo will reboot and the GSOD screen will come on saying TiVo has encountered a serious error. It will then run the disk management tool which can take from 10 minutes to 3 hours to complete. During this time it will look for and correct configuration problems as well as isolating any bad sectors on the hard drive so they can no longer be used.
6. TiVo will automatically reboot again and hopefully things will return to normal. (Programs that used any bad sectors may be lost.)

If that doesn’t work you may want to contact TiVo and see what they suggest. You might want to get an exchange unit or look into replacing your hard drive (very easy to do).
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #248
flyerman

Just purchased Antec MX-1 on sale at Microcenter for $49.00 which is not bad considering i don't have to deal with a rebate. INstalled with new cable and same problem. I am running kickstart 57 at the moment and I will report back. Maybe this will help someone else.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #249
flyerman

Came back after running and I am at the TIVO central screen with no response. Maybe my temp (/var) is full? How do I clean this out? Any suggestions from hear would be appreciated. A few options I can think of but which one would be better:

1.) Any way to try and clean out /var?
2.) I have another Maxtor 500GB Sata available. Can I try and swap out the internal drive with that?
3.) Divorce the external and start fresh?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #250
richsadams

Quote:
Came back after running and I am at the TIVO central screen with no response. Maybe my temp (/var) is full? How do I clean this out? Any suggestions from hear would be appreciated. A few options I can think of but which one would be better:

1.) Any way to try and clean out /var?
2.) I have another Maxtor 500GB Sata available. Can I try and swap out the internal drive with that?
3.) Divorce the external and start fresh?
Hmmm...I suppose you've unplugged it and plugged it back in by now? Hmmm...not sure about the /var partition unless you pull the drive and do some mfstools/PC work on it. You could try swapping drives but I guess if it were me I'd divorce the eSATA drive and see if TiVo comes back to life or still has problems. If it continues to be uncooperative it would certainly narrow it down to the "A" HDD and if not...you’d know something's up with the eSATA drive.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:43 PM   #251
flyerman

Sad to say I divorced the external drive and still have troubles. It appears to be a bad internal drive. I am trying to put the drive in the computer but it will not recognize it. Do I need to set a jumper on the WD250? What happens if I can't get it to read? I have no backups because I never opened the unit before this. Ouch. I have a 500GB Maxtor sata but I am lost.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:33 AM   #252
richsadams

Quote:
Sad to say I divorced the external drive and still have troubles. It appears to be a bad internal drive. I am trying to put the drive in the computer but it will not recognize it. Do I need to set a jumper on the WD250? What happens if I can't get it to read? I have no backups because I never opened the unit before this. Ouch. I have a 500GB Maxtor sata but I am lost.
Sad but these things happen. In answer to your question, I don't think you need to change anything on the original HDD for PC recognition. Perhaps someone else (Spike?) will chime in, but IMHO about your only option would be to leave the original drive inside and call TiVo, tell them it died and see what they'll do about an exchange. (No need to mention the eSATA "experiment". )

If it makes you feel any better, we all owe you some thanks for sharing. Knowing that it's not the eSATA drive that's to blame is comforting in a way.

Thanks for posting and let us know how you get on.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #253
flyerman

Thanks for all your help. I finally was able to read the internal drive and used the 750 external now to be the internal. I will worry about adding an external later on. I lost all of my recordings but was able to save all settings and season passes.

I had to do a fixdivorce command first. Then I used the following command:
backup -qf 9999 -so - /dev/hdc | restore -s 128 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdd

PS (remember to use a space between "- /dev" both times.

How this helps someone else out if their internal drive goes bad. I wish I could have saved some of the recordings.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:58 PM   #254
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks for all your help. I finally was able to read the internal drive and used the 750 external now to be the internal. I will worry about adding an external later on. I lost all of my recordings but was able to save all settings and season passes.

I had to do a fixdivorce command first. Then I used the following command:

PS (remember to use a space between "- /dev" both times.

How this helps someone else out if their internal drive goes bad. I wish I could have saved some of the recordings.
Bummer about the lost programs...but good news about the drive!
Old 09-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #255
phonefixers

Is there a way to do this on an HD?
phonefixers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:23 PM   #256
jlib
Lean Forward

Last edited by jlib : 09-15-2007 at 10:29 PM. Reason: duplicate posting
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:25 PM   #257
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
I lost all of my recordings but was able to save all settings and season passes...I used the following command:
...I wish I could have saved some of the recordings.
The MFSLive Upgrade Guide explicitly says in bold you will lose all recordings if your use Option 1.6 as you did. Did the "preserves recordings" Option 1.2
backup -qTao - /dev/hdc | restore -s 128 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdd
not work for you?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:54 PM   #258
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonefixers
Is there a way to do this on an HD?
Not as easily as on the S3...requires opening the box, etc. Best bet at this point if you want more space on your TiVo HD is to simply replace the existing "A" HDD with a larger one.

This thread has all the info on eSATA expansion for TiVo HD's.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #259
spiraleyes
Tivo noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams
Not as easily as on the S3...requires opening the box, etc. Best bet at this point if you want more space on your TiVo HD is to simply replace the existing "A" HDD with a larger one.

This thread has all the info on eSATA expansion for TiVo HD's.
Thanks!
spiraleyes is offline   Reply With Quote