Originally Posted by flyerman
I have upgraded my Series 3 with a Seagate 750 GB HD ST3750640AS. It has been working for weeks with no problems. Now it started to stutter and freeze a little. It has been getting worse the past week, so I ran test on the external drive with Seatools and it has found that the drive is ok. I am trying to delete the already deleted shows (166) to make room as indicated above. I guess my next try will be to open up and test the internal drive.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
The symptoms could be related to the eSATA drive or may have nothing to do with it as they've been reported since S1's were around and usually indicates a problem with the HDD.
As Spike suggested, a new eSATA cable and enclosure might be all that's needed.
Also, have you tried running TiVo's built-in diagnostics, Kickstart 57? It's not a cure-all, but can remedy things now and then.
1. Unplug TiVo and wait 15 seconds.
2. Plug TiVo in, get the TiVo remote and aim it at TiVo.
3. Press and hold the pause button until the orange light comes back on by itself.
4. Release the pause button and immediately type in the numbers 5 and 7 on the remote (you have about 10 seconds to do this step).
5. TiVo will reboot and the GSOD
screen will come on saying TiVo has encountered a serious error. It will then run the disk management tool which can take from 10 minutes to 3 hours to complete. During this time it will look for and correct configuration problems as well as isolating any bad sectors on the hard drive so they can no longer be used.
6. TiVo will automatically reboot again and hopefully things will return to normal. (Programs that used any bad sectors may be lost.)
If that doesn’t work you may want to contact TiVo and see what they suggest. You might want to get an exchange unit or look into replacing your hard drive (very easy to do).