TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #121
rudolpht
HD Maven

Is there any more info on adding a drive to a modified S3. Drive showing up in AM. Assume I power down Tivo connect then power up external and do NOT do the kickstart 62?

Sound right?

Tim
rudolpht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #122
Gene Plantz
Four Tivos

Cavalry

I just install the Cavalry 500GB drive on my stock S3.

For some reason, it did not "take" on the first attempt. I held the pause button (for what seemed like forever) until I got the orange LED and entered 62. It booted up and nothing had changed.

So, I did it again.... I think exactly the same but it worked the second time.

The Cavalry drive comes with the proper cable and everything you need. I was (am) hesitant about previous comments in this forum about this drive (which were voiced after I placed the order) but decided to try connecting it anyway.
Gene Plantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:28 PM   #123
softwall

Just Installed Seagate 750GB drive with Antech, Veris enclosure, Tivo ver 8.31. Works Great 1st Time!! No loss of programming. Enclosure came with correct cable, has fan and power switch, and is very quiet.

Remember, Connect Correct ESATA cable(long connectors), Restart Tivo, wait for Red LEDs to go out, Orange LED on, Type 62, Sit back and enjoy.

Thanks Spike 2K5. Excellent work.
softwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #124
Percipient

Thought I'd add my own experience. I ordered an Apricorn EZ Bus Desktop 750GB from NewEgg for $361.13 including shipping and handling. I just installed it and it works fine. It comes with the proper eSATA-II cables, and the fan seems very quiet.

Apricorn has a new product that looks to be the identical unit, but they're calling it a DVR Xpander. It costs $399 (excluding shipping and handling), and the specs don't mention a USB interface, only eSATA. Some have claimed that the dual interface of eSATA and USB delivers less performance, but if that's so it doesn't appear to be a problem when working with the TiVo.

I'm seen so many thank you's over the years that maybe yet another is just redundant, but I just want to say that I'm as pleased and pleasantly surprised this year at what the TiVo underground can do as when I first upgraded my series 1 in 1999. I still have my "Dylan's Boot Disk" floppy as a memento. Heck, I still have the series 1 TiVo itself, my daughter uses it now.

--Percy
Percipient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #125
JerryL

I very strange problem has developed with my Tivo since I upgraded my unit. I have Verizon Fios and the hi def picture on HBO is unwatchable. It is very pixelated. This is the only station that has this problem. On my other hi def Moto boxes the signal is perfect. I don't think it is the new Seagate hard drive or I assume it would be be bad on every station. Could it have something to do with the Esata cable or maybe some anticopy code on HBO that isn't on the other stations
JerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #126
jon96cobra

Just got my Maxtor 500GB Serial ATA/300 from frys can I use ATA interfaces- 3.0 Gb/sec or do I need to set it to 1.5Gb/sec?
Series 3 with External 500gb
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
jon96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #127
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by erubenst28
First, thank you very much for this eSata workaround... it is a long time coming, and shame on Tivo for not enabling yet (especially for the early adopters who shelled out $800 the day these came out...)

I have 8.3.1. and it works great with the Seagate 500GB eSata external I picked up from Compusa today for $149.

Sys info shows 927 SD hours and 98 HD hours...

However.... on one of my HD channels (YES network), the picture comes in for 3 seconds and then goes blank with the error flag:

"Viewing is not permitted using the DVR's HDMI output. Try another input."

I assume this is an HDCP issue that is cropping up now that I am using an external drive through eSata... the other HD channels work fine... so far
anyone else see this problem with hdmi/hdcp problems because of the external drives- this seems to be the only case I have seen so I'm wondering if it was just a coincidence?
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #128
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by erubenst28
First, thank you very much for this eSata workaround... it is a long time coming, and shame on Tivo for not enabling yet (especially for the early adopters who shelled out $800 the day these came out...

However.... on one of my HD channels (YES network), the picture comes in for 3 seconds and then goes blank with the error flag:

"Viewing is not permitted using the DVR's HDMI output. Try another input."

I assume this is an HDCP issue that is cropping up now that I am using an external drive through eSata... the other HD channels work fine... so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
anyone else see this problem with hdmi/hdcp problems because of the external drives- this seems to be the only case I have seen so I'm wondering if it was just a coincidence?
I haven't heard of this either but we use TiVo's component video connections on our S3 (which has an eSATA drive). I'd suggest the OP try using the component video output in lieu of HDMI to see if that clears up the problem. I understand that hdcp (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) coding is sent via HDMI but cannot be sent via component connections. I'm not clear on how an eSATA drive would impact this however.

And before an argument starts up over pure digital (HDMI/DVI) Vs analog (component - Y,Pr,Pb) signals, I'll defer to the experts. Here is a fairly well thought out comparison of the two:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/122868.html - If you don't want to read it all, skip to the last paragraph for their conclusion.

I'm a bit of a purest (to my wife's annoyance sometimes ) and am always looking for the best (picture, sound, etc.). We've tried both HDMI and component connections and really cannot tell the difference on our 42" LCD flat panel. That being the case we've opted for a direct component connection from TiVo to our TV. Oh, and optical audio wins hands down.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #129
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon96cobra
Just got my Maxtor 500GB Serial ATA/300 from frys can I use ATA interfaces- 3.0 Gb/sec or do I need to set it to 1.5Gb/sec?
SATA 3.0 GB should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:15 PM   #130
c3
TiVoholic

My guess is that TiVo's SATA ports are 1.5G only. Does anyone know for sure?
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:22 PM   #131
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

There's a bit in the instructions that could use a little clarification. Where it says:

- keep on pressing pause button until, all the lights go out on the front panel.

...some people (myself included) interpret that as meaning once the lights go out, you can let go of the pause button.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #132
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
There's a bit in the instructions that could use a little clarification. Where it says:

- keep on pressing pause button until, all the lights go out on the front panel.

...some people (myself included) interpret that as meaning once the lights go out, you can let go of the pause button.
I agree.

I'm kind of tied up working on a new mfslive release but instructions with pictures will be coming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #133
jon96cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2k5
SATA 3.0 GB should be fine.
Thanks I will give it a try this weekend and see. I will try 3.0 gb and report back with my findings.

Using a Maxtor 500GB Serial ATA/300 in a Rosewill RX353-S BLK Rigid Aluminum Body and ABS plastic panel 3.5" eSATA enclosure.
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
Old 05-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #134
moxie1617

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
My guess is that TiVo's SATA ports are 1.5G only. Does anyone know for sure?
If someone who has replaced their internal drive can look to see if the original drive is a 3.0 gbs drive and if it is, was the jumper installed to force 1.5 gbs? At least we would know that we don't have to worry about forcing the drive to do 1.5gbs.

I've had an unjumpered DB35(3.0gbs) installed externally for 1 day now with no issues.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #135
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617
If someone who has replaced their internal drive can look to see if the original drive is a 3.0 gbs drive and if it is, was the jumper installed to force 1.5 gbs? At least we would know that we don't have to worry about forcing the drive to do 1.5gbs.
3G devices are supposed to auto negotiate the rate, so the jumper is there to solve compatibility problems only. Therefore, we still don't know whether the established link is 1.5G or 3G. The speed can be easily checked with a SATA analyzer, but I don't have access to one at my current job. The factory internal drive can handle 3G, and the 1.5G jumper is not connected.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #136
moxie1617

That's good news. So should the S3 only be using the 1.5G transfer rate we don't have to force a 3.0G e-sata drive to 1.5G. However, your original question hasn't been answered. But thanks for helping me with mine.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #137
MacGuruTX

Quote:

I'm having this problem a lot, but its also causing reboots.

SINCE I've hooked up the esata.

I use a Harmony 880 to control my system (Pioneer VSX-45, Sony KDXBR61, S3). When turning the system "on" which causes the Pioneer to come on and the Sony to turn on, sets the input to the HDMI. The Tivo never turns off, ie I don't but it in standby.

I would say 75% of the time now, when I turn on the system, i get a couple of seconds of audio from the receiver while the TV is starting up. As soon as the TV picture comes on and it talks to the Tivo, I get about a second of picture, then the "Viewing is not permitted using the DVR's HDMI output. Try another input." and almost instaneously the TIVO performs a hard restart.

I use to occasionally get the viewing not permitted error, which i could repair by going to a different input and then coming back. But it never did the restart.

Anyone else experiencing this?
MacGuruTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #138
jon96cobra

Quote:
Thanks I will give it a try this weekend and see. I will try 3.0 gb and report back with my findings.

Using a Maxtor 500GB Serial ATA/300 in a Rosewill RX353-S BLK Rigid Aluminum Body and ABS plastic panel 3.5" eSATA enclosure.
Tried over the weekend to get my enclosure to work but the tivo popped up the message that the drive wasn't able to be detected. Is there anything else to try before I get another enclosure?
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
Old 05-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #139
spike2k5

Quote:
Tried over the weekend to get my enclosure to work but the tivo popped up the message that the drive wasn't able to be detected. Is there anything else to try before I get another enclosure?
I wouldn't get anything other than Antec MX-1
I've tested Seagate DB35.3 SATA and Maxtor Maxline Pro and seem to work well.

Stay away from Seagate FreeAgent Pro which seem to have a serious problem with eSATA port. I tried two and both worked well on USB port connected to a computer but won't work using eSATA port. I get "bus error" and "soft resets" every now and then. I tried with different cables and nothing helps.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #140
MichaelK

Quote:

Stay away from Seagate FreeAgent Pro which seem to have a serious problem with eSATA port. I tried two and both worked well on USB port connected to a computer but won't work using eSATA port. I get "bus error" and "soft resets" every now and then. I tried with different cables and nothing helps.

just another data point.

I've had a free agent pro for around a week now and no problems at all- not a single reset- no errors - nothing but tons and tons of suggestions recording- LOL

(once I figured out to trim the stupid cable I got- I have what is supposed to be the correct cable being delivered today so hopefully it wont be such an eyesore later today.)
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #141
jon96cobra

Quote:

Yeah I just looked for it on newegg and its out of stock. I though about getting the bytecc me-747satacombo which is also mentioned on the list of working enclosures.
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
Old 05-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #142
spike2k5

Quote:
Yeah I just looked for it on newegg and its out of stock. I though about getting the bytecc me-747satacombo which is also mentioned on the list of working enclosures.
The following stores have them in stock. I would stick with Antec MX-1 enclosure.

http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:1475301

http://www.excaliberpc.com/Antec_Ver...id-575347.html

Last edited by spike2k5 : 05-29-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #143
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Yeah I just looked for it on newegg and its out of stock.
Last time it went out of stock at Newegg it had a ETA of couple weeks out. I got an email the next day saying it was back in stock.

YMMV
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #144
jon96cobra

I found it on price grabber for 54.76. I just hope that is the problem and not the drive.
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
Old 05-29-2007, 04:40 PM   #145
c3
TiVoholic

Has anyone compared the Antec MX-1 with the Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT? Both have fans, but the Apricorn is supposedly fully aluminum, whereas the Antec is mostly plastic. Correct?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:52 PM   #146
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
Has anyone compared the Antec MX-1 with the Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT? Both have fans, but the Apricorn is supposedly fully aluminum, whereas the Antec is mostly plastic. Correct?
For Antec, top and bottom are all aluminum, 4 sides are mostly plastic.
It's really quiet and you can't hear the fan at all.

I have not tested Apricorn so can't comment on that one.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:02 PM   #147
gteague
golftango

Quote:
just another data point.

I've had a free agent pro for around a week now and no problems at all- not a single reset- no errors - nothing but tons and tons of suggestions recording- LOL

(once I figured out to trim the stupid cable I got- I have what is supposed to be the correct cable being delivered today so hopefully it wont be such an eyesore later today.)
i was trying to save some money and thus originally bought a maxtor 500gb drive with a nexstar enclosure thinking i would upgrade when a good deal on a 750gb/1tb came along. this maxtor/nexstar combo which came with the proper esata2 cable has been working perfectly since day1 of the tivo/esata 'discovery' although the aluminum enclosure has no fan and ran hot enough to worry me. also the drive made a low clicking/thumping sound on disk i/o which was slightly annoying.

but then this weekend bestbuy puts the fap750 on sale for $200 and i have a 12%-off coupon so i couldn't resist in spite of some of my reservations of the seagate drive not being designed for 24/7 use.

this morning when i got off work i divorced the maxtor and married up the fap750. worked first time. and after 10 hours in operation the drive is not even slightly warm to the touch nor can i even hear it running unless i get 2" away from it.

and the drive is even aesthetically a good match for the tivo with the orangish-yellow color nearly exactly matching the tivo welcome screen and the yellow logo on the front panel. its design blends right in among a/v components.

so the plan is just to keep a close eye on it and hold onto the receipt, but so far i don't see the downside of getting a self-contained 750gb external drive that runs cool and quiet for well under $200.

and the old maxtor/nexstar combination it replaced will do just great as a weekly backup for my mac pro, so i haven't lost anything with that purchase either.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:23 PM   #148
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague
i was trying to save some money and thus originally bought a maxtor 500gb drive with a nexstar enclosure thinking i would upgrade when a good deal on a 750gb/1tb came along. this maxtor/nexstar combo which came with the proper esata2 cable has been working perfectly since day1 of the tivo/esata 'discovery' although the aluminum enclosure has no fan and ran hot enough to worry me. also the drive made a low clicking/thumping sound on disk i/o which was slightly annoying.

but then this weekend bestbuy puts the fap750 on sale for $200 and i have a 12%-off coupon so i couldn't resist in spite of some of my reservations of the seagate drive not being designed for 24/7 use.

this morning when i got off work i divorced the maxtor and married up the fap750. worked first time. and after 10 hours in operation the drive is not even slightly warm to the touch nor can i even hear it running unless i get 2" away from it.

and the drive is even aesthetically a good match for the tivo with the orangish-yellow color nearly exactly matching the tivo welcome screen and the yellow logo on the front panel. its design blends right in among a/v components.

so the plan is just to keep a close eye on it and hold onto the receipt, but so far i don't see the downside of getting a self-contained 750gb external drive that runs cool and quiet for well under $200.

and the old maxtor/nexstar combination it replaced will do just great as a weekly backup for my mac pro, so i haven't lost anything with that purchase either.

/guy
Try recording two HD channels at once and watch a recorded Hd show.
Stress that bad boy and see how it goes.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM   #149
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Try recording two HD channels at once and watch a recorded Hd show.
Stress that bad boy and see how it goes.
i'm working tonight, but have 2 days off starting tomorrow. i'll try my best to stress it and report back in a couple of days.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #150
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
For Antec, top and bottom are all aluminum, 4 sides are mostly plastic.
It's really quiet and you can't hear the fan at all.
Thanks. Do you happen to know if the Antec design splits the SATA signals passively (wire tap) or actively (receives the eSATA signal and retransmit it to the drive)?