TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #91
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
Why do you need high performance for a Tivo drive used to store recordings. The S2 works just fine on a 5400 RPM ide drive. I don't see why the S3 would be any different with regards to low performance requirements for the external SATA drive.
This is not a comment on whether the performance of a particular enclosure or drive is sufficient, just an observation of what the units are doing.

TiVo S3 HD recordings are typically 8GB/hr. TiVo S2 SD recordings are typically 1GB/hr. TiVo S3 is dual tuner. If you record 2 HD shows and playback 1 HD show, you need to write 16GB/hr and simultaneously read 8GB/hr.

All this may be well within the capabilities of a 5400rpm IDE (or not), but clearly the S3 is doing more than an S2 so I don't think it makes sense to use the lesser to justify the greater.

Instead you should use the actual requirements of an S3 and compare to the performance capabilities of the drive and enclosure combo.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #92
RickyMac

Easiest Setup Ever

I just connected a Seagate FreeAgent Pro, 500 Gig, External, Powered Drive, (5 year limited warranty). I followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread and it worked!!

My system now reads 98 HD and 927 SD - WOW.

It's nice to see that TIVO does update their products. Now all we need is to be able to transfer our recordings like our S2s.

Note: Sam's has this drive for $177 w/o the eSATA cable.

Have A Great Day....Rick
RickyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #93
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMac
I just connected a Seagate FreeAgent Pro,
Does the power switch status stay in the on position after it loses power?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #94
gteague
golftango

reporting success with the nexstar3 and a maxline diamond 500gb drive. unmodified s3 running v8.3x. 98h-hd/927h-sd. what fun!

btw, i found that you don't need to unplug the tivo. just do a menu reset and be quick on the pause button. i missed putting in the '62' fast enough the first time and had to restart 3 times to finally get it to work.

with my setup--room temp and a/v cabinet--i just hope that lack of a fan doesn't cook the drive. i will be monitoring it closely. and i'm glad i got an enclosure with such a bright activity light so i can tell when i/o is taking place.

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 05-08-2007 at 04:59 PM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #95
JerryL

When you add the esata drive and use kickstart 62 to reboot, do you lose any programs on the original tivo drive that were recorded earlier?
JerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #96
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL
When you add the esata drive and use kickstart 62 to reboot, do you lose any programs on the original tivo drive that were recorded earlier?
No

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #97
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I am wondering the same about the procedure for adding an eSATA drive to an already upgraded S3 (whose details will hopefully/eventually emerge, fingers crossed.)
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #98
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
I am wondering the same about the procedure for adding an eSATA drive to an already upgraded S3 (whose details will hopefully/eventually emerge, fingers crossed.)
You won't loose recordings on the internal drive either, using method #2.
Built-in divorce seems to divorce only eSATA drive as well so your expand capacity on interal drive is kept.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #99
expmag
RehobothJeff

Can you add esata with upgraded internal drive

I see where a method #2 is mentioned, but I do not see how to add the eSata drive if the internal drive has already been upgraded. I have an eSata that was used when I had a comcast dvr. If this is not possible, can I put back the original series 3 drive and then add the external eSata drive?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:57 PM   #100
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmag
I see where a method #2 is mentioned, but I do not see how to add the eSata drive if the internal drive has already been upgraded. I have an eSata that was used when I had a comcast dvr. If this is not possible, can I put back the original series 3 drive and then add the external eSata drive?
Yes you can.
Currently, method 2 is being beta tested.
If you don't mind loosing your recordings on your expanded drive, you can put back your original internal drive and add an eSATA drive.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #101
Lost Pup

Another confirmation of a stock Tivo Series 3 upgraded with the Seagate 750G External Free Agent Pro purchased from Best Buy. Esata cable from Amazon.

Upgraded perfectly. No problems to report.
Lost Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #102
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2k5
- Power on eSATA device.

- Power on TiVo

- Point TiVo remote to S3 tivo with pause (yellow) button pressed

- keep on pressing pause button until, all the lights go out on the front panel.

- Shortly after that, you will see single orange LED light on the front panel.
Might I make a suggestion to save people from Carpel Tunnel of the thumb.

When TiVo S3 boots, the LED panel is completely lit with 2 red record LEDs on the left, TiVo symbol in the middle, and blue & orange LEDs on the right.

The window when you actually need to push and hold pause (to initiate kickstart) is immediately after the 2 red record LEDs go out.

Any earlier pauses are just for thumb exercising
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #103
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
Might I make a suggestion to save people from Carpel Tunnel of the thumb.

When TiVo S3 boots, the LED panel is completely lit with 2 red record LEDs on the left, TiVo symbol in the middle, and blue & orange LEDs on the right.

The window when you actually need to push and hold pause (to initiate kickstart) is immediately after the 2 red record LEDs go out.

Any earlier pauses are just for thumb exercising
i didn't know that, but i did discover that in my case only a soft reboot (menu restart) is needed, not necessarily a power reset.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #104
kmsarno

It worked great for me

My 100% good experience:

Enclosure - Vantec/Nexstar NST-360 with both eSATA and USB2
Drive: Seagate 400GB ST3400833AS
both purchased new from Newegg.

Using advice on this thread, I installed the drive with a soft reboot (no power cycle) and a single touch of the pause key on the remote when the red recording LED's went off (no holding anything down). Typed 62, waited through a reboot and 5 minutes or so, and system now shows 85 HD hours (was 35 with unhacked 250GB internal drive).

No problems, I'm happy.

One more observation wrt dual eSATA and USB interfaces. This is certainly not a guarantee of anything, but as far as I can see after closely examining the enclosure, the USB bridge chip is connected to the eSATA cable in parallel with the eSATA connector on the back of the enclosure. That is, it appears to be an electrical passthrough and I don't expect any performance hit.

Thanks to all for posting this great info.

--Ken S.
kmsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #105
JerryL

Do I need to format my Seagate drive before I hook it up to the TIVO or does the TIVO software format it for me when I hook it up?
JerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #106
Jack D

Quote:
Do I need to format my Seagate drive before I hook it up to the TIVO or does the TIVO software format it for me when I hook it up?
No, the TIVO does it during the activation process.
Jack D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #107
sriggins

Darn! I shipped my wiebetech case/card combo to my old address, so i have to pick it up tonight.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #108
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriggins
I ordered a WiebeTech enclosure, as it has shock dampening and I have been very very pleased with their FW800 cases. $48 incl shipping:

http://www.wiebetech.com/products/toughtech.php
Quote:
From the specs: ToughTech has an all aluminum design meant to draw heat away from the hard drive. The entire product acts like a heat dissipater, helping to keep your drive cool. And because it doesn't need a fan, ToughTech is quiet.
Ah, a manufacturer that actually "gets it."
Old 05-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #109
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Looks like external SATA (eSATA) port on TiVo S3 can be activated...
Code:
       o         "We're not worthy, we're not worthy"  
      <|\      o__
     _/ \_    _/  \_ 
   spike2k5

Old 05-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #110
flyerman

I have an unmodified Series 3 that I tried a few times this method to get my 500GB drive to work. It does not seem to be recognized? I do have data on the drive but i didn' thought that was ok because the TIVO will format it? Any thoughts? Please.
flyerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #111
oldnacl

Quote:
You don't have to reformat. Kickstart 62 does quick TiVo reformat.

Is your "A" drive expanded?
Also, you have to point your remote with pause button until front panel goes black & orange LED come on. If you let go of pause button, orange LED should stay lit until you type in 62.
I tried the method with a drive used previously on a SA8300HD and was unsuccessful. Tried a second drive (also used previously on another SA8300HD) and again no joy. I connected the drive to my PC via USB and using Partition Magic, created an NTFS partition and formatted it, then deleted the partition. Hooked it to the TiVo and it worked. Haven't retried the first drive as I only needed one. Thanks to all for this improvement.
oldnacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #112
spike2k5

For those of you having problems, check this thread out.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=351824

Cable problem!

Old 05-14-2007, 12:53 AM   #113
gadgetrex

It was a cable problem (now working)

Thanks for the tip about the cable problem (ends being too short to make necessary contacts). After trimming my cable, I was able to get my Seagate Free Agent Pro (750GB) to work. Interestingly, my system did not reboot immediately following my entry of the kickstart 62 (and I figured that I was going to have to give up for the night), but the system continued booting and ultimately showed me the second drive message. For those interested, Fry's has the 750GB drive on sale in the store for $239 until 5/15.
gadgetrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:35 AM   #114
XBR

Did Fry's also carry the ESATA cable (that you had to trim)?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:52 AM   #115
gadgetrex

eSATA cable available at Frys

Yes, I also purchased the cable at Frys. I'll probably end up getting another one, though, since the only eSATA to eSATA cable they had was 6 feet long, which leaves me with way too much. Apart from the problem with the connector, the cable otherwise seems well built and seemed reasonably priced at $12.99.
gadgetrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #116
chipbandit

AZiO ENC311SU31 3.5" eSATA + USB 2.0 External Enclosure - Retail
Item #: N82E16817106098

Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD5000YS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822136032
i just got both items in yesterday and I put it all together hooked up to my s3 tivo and it works i now have 927sd hours and 98hd hours and it only cost $189.00 dollars for the extra drive and a few minutes of work to do it
cool business
chipbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #117
flyerman

I have looked at my cable and it seems to be the good one with the penny covering half of the connector but I still can't get TIVO to recognize the drive. I am going to get the 750GB drive from newegg for $239. Does everyone have the latest update from TIVO and it still works with this method?
flyerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #118
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbandit
AZiO ENC311SU31 3.5" eSATA + USB 2.0 External Enclosure - Retail
Item #: N82E16817106098

Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD5000YS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822136032
i just got both items in yesterday and I put it all together hooked up to my s3 tivo and it works i now have 927sd hours and 98hd hours and it only cost $189.00 dollars for the extra drive and a few minutes of work to do it
cool business

Let me know how that enclosure works for you. I've got one on order from Newegg but am a tad bit concerned about the heat build up.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #119
richsadams

eSATA Drive Power Loss

Just an FYI regarding power loss on my external drive .

I was repositioning my eSATA drive and accidentally disconnected the power cord. TiVo happened to be recording two programs at the time. One was on an HD channel, the other an SD channel. (I didn't have the TV on at the moment.) The drive was off for about 30 seconds.

I reconnected the power cord and the drive came back on. I turned the TV on and both programs were still there, still recording. I viewed both programs after they had finished. At the moment that I disconnected the drive (about 18 minutes in) both programs lost audio and pixilated for a moment and then both resumed as normal...with the 30 seconds of the show missing. It's as if they had been edited.

Conclusion? Not sure. It would seem that the external drive can be "lost", at least for a little while, without any real damage being done. It also appears that both programs may have been being saved to the external drive...OR that no matter what drive they are being saved to losing power to the eSATA drive will affect the recording of a program.

Guess more tests are in order. Anybody? Anybody?

Also of note, I've exchanged a couple of e-mails with Apricorn (the maker of my eSATA drive) and Chris has responded immediately. I asked them what drives they were using for their DVR Xpander (WD) and another unrelated question. Chris got back to me with full answers right away. They are a little more expensive than a DIY solution, but based on their customer service, previous use of their products and the flawless install of this eSATA drive on our TiVo S3 I can still highly recommend them.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:07 PM   #120
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams
...It would seem that the external drive can be "lost", at least for a little while, without any real damage being done...
Wow, that is great news regarding the S3's inherent robustness with an external drive. Or to paraphrase Winston Churchhill: "There is nothing so exhilarating to be shot at to no effect."