TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #31
jhimmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd
From my point of view who needs another piece on equipment hanging off the Series 3, unless you really need more than 100 hours of HD storage. If you are good enough to use this port you can upgrade the original Series 3 with 750G drive for less than $300 now.
From my point of view, if I wanted 750G of storage, I'd much rather spend $160 on a DB35 500G drive and add it to the existing 250G drive using eSATA. Plus, I don't have to open the case and play around with images, and potentially void my warranty. MY S3's are tucked away where I can't see them. I couldn't care less about the drive "hanging off". This is a much cheaper and more convenient option. A "no-brainer"
jhimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #32
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2k5
I'm looking for few volunteers for beta testing.
I'd be interested in volunteering (currently have a 750 GB internal) -- just curious about what it entails. Would I need to open the S3 case again?
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:44 AM   #33
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
I'd be interested in volunteering (currently have a 750 GB internal) -- just curious about what it entails. Would I need to open the S3 case again?
Yes you will have to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #34
Carsten

Wonder if there is enough room to put the 2nd hard inside the Tivo. Then redirect the eSata inside and and use internal power.
Carsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #35
Jack D

I just tried it with a Seagate "Free Agent Pro" 750 GB drive. This drive comes with its own external case and is supposed to be plug and play. It does have dual interface (USB and eSata).

It didn't work.

I think I followed the instructions properly:

I plugged in the drive to the T3 with the power plug on the T3 unplugged. Turned on the power to the external drive. Plugged in the T3 while pushing pause. Lights on T3 turned off as it was booting and then the small orange light came on. I then pushed "62" on the remote while pointing it at the T3.

The T3 just booted up as usual and no notification that a second drive had been actived. Drive capacity shows 32 hours so same as when I bought it.

Thoughts:

1. Does the sata drive have to be initialized with a computer first or is it ok to use it brand new with the T3?

2. Could it be that something about the dual interface of the Seagate is messing things up?

Anyone have any thoughts about what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for help.

PS I've got FW 8.3.

Last edited by Jack D : 05-05-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Jack D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #36
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
... PS I've got FW 8.3.
I assume you mean software version 8.3 on the TiVo? If so, maybe this method of expanding space doesn't work on version 8.3

EDIT: Have you verified that the cable is seated properly? Do you have an eSATA port on your computer to verify that it works properly on the PC?

Last edited by DCIFRTHS : 05-05-2007 at 12:18 PM.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #37
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS
I assume you mean software version 8.3 on the TiVo? If so, maybe this method of expanding space doesn't work on version 8.3

EDIT: Have you verified that the cable is seated properly? Do you have an eSATA port on your computer to verify that it works properly on the PC?
UH OH, has anyone confirmed this works with 8.3???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #38
sriggins

Ok this ROCKS! I had bought two 500gb drives on sale from Frys waiting for the day when I buy a Mac Pro, but I'll gladly stick one on my TiVo if I can find a quality, affordable, QUIET eSata case.

Steve
Old 05-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #39
erubenst28

Works with Seagate 500GB eSata External drive & 8.3 ... but...

First, thank you very much for this eSata workaround... it is a long time coming, and shame on Tivo for not enabling yet (especially for the early adopters who shelled out $800 the day these came out...)

I have 8.3.1. and it works great with the Seagate 500GB eSata external I picked up from Compusa today for $149.

Sys info shows 927 SD hours and 98 HD hours...

However.... on one of my HD channels (YES network), the picture comes in for 3 seconds and then goes blank with the error flag:

"Viewing is not permitted using the DVR's HDMI output. Try another input."

I assume this is an HDCP issue that is cropping up now that I am using an external drive through eSata... the other HD channels work fine... so far
erubenst28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #40
spike2k5

Quote:
I just tried it with a Seagate "Free Agent Pro" 750 GB drive. This drive comes with its own external case and is supposed to be plug and play. It does have dual interface (USB and eSata).
It didn't work.

I don't think Free Agent Pro comes with eSATA cable.
Did you use usb cable to connect to TiVo?
You will have to use eSATA cable to eSATA port on S3 Tivo.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #41
XBR

Quote:

It didn't work.

I think I followed the instructions properly:

I plugged in the drive to the T3 with the power plug on the T3 unplugged. Turned on the power to the external drive. Plugged in the T3 while pushing pause. Lights on T3 turned off as it was booting and then the small orange light came on. I then pushed "62" on the remote while pointing it at the T3.

The T3 just booted up as usual and no notification that a second drive had been actived. Drive capacity shows 32 hours so same as when I bought it.

Thoughts:

1. Does the sata drive have to be initialized with a computer first or is it ok to use it brand new with the T3?

2. Could it be that something about the dual interface of the Seagate is messing things up?

Anyone have any thoughts about what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for help.

PS I've got FW 8.3.
I was thinking of getting a nicely integrated external hard drive like you did, but I was wary...they all seem to ship with a complementary data and drive management application ("one-touch" and such). You supposedly can do things like turn the LED off with the application; assuming kickstart 62 still works with 8.3, I wonder if there are any other "features" you can turn off with the application to get you on your way?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #42
sriggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by erubenst28
and shame on Tivo for not enabling yet (
I find no shame towards TiVo - They may be legally bound to not enable it yet, and as you found, it may not work with some conten on the external due to these licensing limitations.

I am in a wait and hold pattern while you guys debug this
Old 05-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #43
davezatz
Funkadelic

500GB eSATA drive WITH cable for $135 shipped via NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822101030
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #44
erubenst28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriggins
I find no shame towards TiVo - They may be legally bound to not enable it yet, and as you found, it may not work with some conten on the external due to these licensing limitations.

I am in a wait and hold pattern while you guys debug this

On second thought... you are right... if its a licensing issue, it is out of Tivo's control... strange that only the YES Network (Yankees Channel) has the problem... could be a Red Sox conspiracy...

Anyone else with any HDCP issues?
erubenst28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #45
TracySMiller

I tried it and couldn't get it to work. I followed the directions to the letter. I'm using the same drive I used successfully when I had an SA8300HD from Charter Cable. Could it be that I need to reformat this drive and try again? If so, is this possible by getting it out of its enclosure and popping into one of my computers?

Thanks.
TracySMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #46
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySMiller
I tried it and couldn't get it to work. I followed the directions to the letter. I'm using the same drive I used successfully when I had an SA8300HD from Charter Cable. Could it be that I need to reformat this drive and try again? If so, is this possible by getting it out of its enclosure and popping into one of my computers?

Thanks.
You don't have to reformat. Kickstart 62 does quick TiVo reformat.

Is your "A" drive expanded?
Also, you have to point your remote with pause button until front panel goes black & orange LED come on. If you let go of pause button, orange LED should stay lit until you type in 62.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #47
Carlos_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySMiller

Thanks.
Do you have an SATA port on your computer?
Carlos_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #48
TracySMiller

Quote:
Do you have an SATA port on your computer?
Unfortunately, no. Does that mean that I'll probably just need to buy a new eSATA drive?
Old 05-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #49
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS

Sorry I thought this thread was dead after I posted and reposted on the other thread on this topic so this is running in paralell.

Anyway, Yes I have 8.3 on the T3. Yes I'm pretty sure the cable is seated properly. Yes I used the same drive and cable with my PC and it worked fine.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #50
TracySMiller

Quote:

Also, you have to point your remote with pause button until front panel goes black & orange LED come on. If you let go of pause button, orange LED should stay lit until you type in 62.
I have not yet expanded. And as far as I can tell I followed these instructions properly. I got the orange LED and typed 62, and it rebooted, but I get no screen telling me it recognized a new drive, and a check of the capacity revealed the same 32 HD hours as before.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #51
Jack D

Quote:
I don't think Free Agent Pro comes with eSATA cable.
Did you use usb cable to connect to TiVo?
You will have to use eSATA cable to eSATA port on S3 Tivo.
no it doesn't come with the eSata cable but I had one I was using on another drive with my PC. Thx.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #52
Jack D

Quote:

Hmmm. In my case, I keep the "pause" button pushed, the front panel goes black after a little while, then the orange light comes on and I release the "pause" button. BUT the orange light does not stay on. What could I be doing wrong???
Old 05-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #53
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR
I was thinking of getting a nicely integrated external hard drive like you did, but I was wary...they all seem to ship with a complementary data and drive management application ("one-touch" and such). You supposedly can do things like turn the LED off with the application; assuming kickstart 62 still works with 8.3, I wonder if there are any other "features" you can turn off with the application to get you on your way?
Well I wiped the partition so there should not be anything left on the hard drive to get in the way of the T3 recognizing it.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #54
Jack D

Quote:
Spike,
What do you mean by this? thx
Old 05-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #55
keenanSR

Quote:
Spike,
Have you changed it out to something larger than the original stock drive is what he's asking, I think.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #56
spike2k5

Quote:
Spike,
I was asking if you have an unmodifed, unhacked, factory hard drive in your S3 Tivo.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #57
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
Have you changed it out to something larger than the original stock drive is what he's asking, I think.
Oh. No I have the original. thx
Old 05-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #58
lcann44

FWIW I not only added an 300mb eSATA succesfully with 8.3, I also disconnected it and did NOT lose any of my recordings on my original hard drive. I then hooked up a 500gb Seagate eSATA with enclosure as well.

I admit I was very worried when I disconnected the first eSATA but it was giving me a flashing a yellow light at me 8 times and stop and I could not find out what that error message meant. So I took a chance. I now have 98 hours HD and 927 SD hours. How sweet it is. Thanks again spike2k5.

Last edited by lcann44 : 05-05-2007 at 03:46 PM.
lcann44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #59
sriggins

I ordered a WiebeTech enclosure, as it has shock dampening and I have been very very pleased with their FW800 cases. $48 incl shipping:

http://www.wiebetech.com/products/toughtech.php
Old 05-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #60
sriggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcann44
FWIW I not only added an 300mb eSATA succesfully with 8.3
Hey when did you get 8.3