TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
MitchNYer

Question Pioneer Elite DVR-57H

Yeah, yeah I know. In retrospect perhaps not the best Tivo choice I could have made...but after a TON of initial issues (software related) when I got it a couple of years ago .....it does for the most part do its job well.

I have 2 questions though I'm hoping someone out there may be able to help me with---

1) This unit is only capable of using ver. 2.0/4 x DVDs when burning to the built in DVD burner. I have used upto 8X burning 2.0 dvds with no issues...but I can't seem to find ver 2.0 dvds anymore (as of this year anyway).

Does anyone know of a source for these older versions of DVD? OR....and this would be better, is there a way to upgrade the firmware SAFELY to deal with the newer 16X dvds?

I realize that it won't burn at 16xs....but I don't want to FUBAR my Tivo. Any suggestions?

2) This unit has an odd, occassional behavior where the remote won't work unless I bring it VERY close to the unit. This only happens occassionally. I of course have tried changing the batteries, but I don't think thats the issue.

Is there an existing IR problem with this unit that anyone is aware of?

Any help is much appreciated!!!....thanks everyone.

Mitch a NYC Tivo Devotee!
MitchNYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
JimSpence
Just hangin'

1) Check Pioneer's website to see if a firmware update will allow that burner to use higher speed DVDs.

2) You may have an IR interference problem from another remote or compact fluorescent lighting.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
MitchNYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence
1) Check Pioneer's website to see if a firmware update will allow that burner to use higher speed DVDs.

2) You may have an IR interference problem from another remote or compact fluorescent lighting.

yeah, I tried the Pioneer site....but it's bascialy dead. They stopped supporting this product about a year after it came out (and gave up on the whole Tivo/Pioneer DVR all together....too many technical problems )....good suggestion though.
MitchNYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
JimSpence
Just hangin'

You may want to delete one of your above replies.

This forum may also be able to help.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/
Old 04-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Regarding updating the firmware in the DVD burner. I would strongly recommend not doing that. I have several of these units and have tried to replace the DVD burner with similar burners, i.e. Pioneer DVR-105, DVR-A05, DVR-106, DVR-A06, DVR-107, DVR-108, DVR-109. All of these units will play DVDs, but none will burn DVDs. They appear to start to burn, but then fail. I believe there is a special version of the firmware in the DVD burner that the TiVo software is looking for when burning discs. If the firmware is not found, then the burn fails. So, updating the firmware will most likely destroy the burning capability of the TiVo.

Finding DVD-RWs is getting very hard. If you have a MicroCenter near you, you might be able to find some. They must be 2X. DVD-RW 4X will not work, believe me, I've tried.

Finding DVD-Rs is not as hard, but you have to test out the discs before getting a bunch of them. I've had success with 8X and some 16X. I would recommend getting a name brand disc, verses a generic brand. They seem to work better.

Regarding the remote not responding. I've noticed this happening occasionally, too. One question, do you have any florescent lights near your TiVos? Sometimes these interfere with the operation of IR remotes.

Hope this helps

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
radio start

Is the 57H able to receive and record HD Channels?
radio start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio start View Post
Is the 57H able to receive and record HD Channels?
No