TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series 1 - UK
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
johala_reewi

tivoweb module - xhtml-mp for mobile devices

Inspired by this thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ighlight=xhtml
and my recently acquired Nokia 6230 with GPRS, I was keen to access Tivo using the phone. Normal Tivoweb was just too much and the WML tivoweb didn't cut much ice. Seeing how the Nokia 6230 supports XHTML-MP it seemed an ideal opportunity to produce a Tivoweb module to do the basic functions outputting lean and mean XHTML-MP. So here it is for those who want to give it a spin.

I had two constraints. 1) Has to be usable on the Nokia 6230 (such a tiny screen!!); and 2) Keep GPRS data traffic to a minimum - I am on Vodafone pay as you surf not the cheapest, and GPRS isn't exactly broadband speed. Consequently, you don't get reams and reams of data (the largest page size is about 9Kbytes), or CSS, or Javascript, or images. Just text. Use is also made of accesskeys and option groups (part of the XHTML-MP spec).

Being a tivoweb module (not TivowebPlus 2 though), you just unzip the ZIP file and binary ftp the xtivoweb.itcl file to the tivoweb-tcl/modules folder on Tivo. Restart Tivoweb and away you go. It appears on the menu and most browsers will render it, so you can do a test drive without using the phone or PDA. It is also very handy for slow internet connections!

To access it directly from your mobile device, create a bookmark to your tivo and add /xtivoweb to the end of the URL (eg. http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/xtivoweb).

Features to be added:
1) Wishlist mtc

This works nicely with my Nokia 6230 and has been tested with Nokia series 40 emulators. The Nokia 6230i might need to be put into extra small font mode though. Being XHTML-MP it should work with a lot of other mobile devices. There is one small gotcha. The module generates XHTML-MP, but Tivoweb serves it up as a text/html document in the http header. This is usually OK because it is a valid combination in the XHTML-MP specs but, some devices can be picky and might not work 100% (see httpd-tt.tcl note later).

A PDF user guide is available but is too large for this forum.
you can download it from here http://www.cjags.plus.com/xtivowebguide.pdf

Tested OK on:
iPod Touch
Nokia series 40 emulators.
Nokia series 60 emulators.
Nokia 5140
Nokia 6230
Nokia 6230i
Nokia 6234
Nokia 6303
Nokia 6500 Classic
Nokia 6680
Nokia 6820
Nokia E50
Nokia N73
Samsung d900
Siemens SL75

Possible Problems on:
Sony Ericsson V600i
Windows Mobile 6 Smartphone

Developed with my UK tivo so not sure if it will work with non-UK ones.

Key to tags shown in programme lists:
* = currently recording
n = now showing
d = deleted (can be undeleted)
k = kept (will not be deleted)
r = scheduled to be recorded
x = conflict (will not be recorded)

Most devices will work fine with just the xtivoweb module and standard tivoweb. Some devices may be picky and want to have XHTML-MP pages served up as application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml instead of text/html. If your phone doesn't render xTivoweb correctly in normal mode, there is a replacement httpd-tt.tcl module. Just binary FTP it to the tivoweb-tcl folder to replace the tivoweb version there. Note this is for tivoweb 1.9.4.

Release: v0.90 Beta version
Update: 22-Mar-2007 v0.91 Fix delete/edit season pass bug
Update: 27-Mar-2007 v0.92 Fix add season pass bug
Update: 28-Mar-2007 v1.00 Manual recording added
Update: 29-Mar-2007 v1.01 Bug fix in show programme
Update: 04-Jul-2007 v1.10 Season pass mtc and bulk add season pass
Update: 11-Jul-2207 v1.11 Fix interrupted recordings not in now showing bug
Update: 02-Aug-2007 v1.12 Fix bug introduced by mods for 1.11
Update: 03-Aug-2007 v1.13 Handle 'best' recording quality when showing programme info.
Update: 14-Aug-2007 v1.14 Now Showing has 'standard tivo' option.
Update: 12-Nov-2007 v1.21 Programme Search/Global SP Edit/Tidy up
Update: 16-Nov-2007 v1.22 SP priority values line up with Tivo
Update: 24-Nov-2007 v1.23 Make output 100% XHTML-MP compliant
Update: 28-Nov-2007 v1.24 Minor bugfix in view upcoming
Update: 16-Dec-2007 v1.25 Minor bugfix in Global SP edit
Update: 30-Dec-2007 v1.30 Folders added
Update: 02-Jan-2008 v1.31 Iron out some quirks
Update: 14-Jan-2008 v1.32 Streamline Folders
Update: 23-Jan-2008 v1.33 Fix couple of crash situations
Update: 25-Mar-2008 v1.34 Fix possible crash situation in record by channel+date

httpd-tt.tcl: 02-Apr-2008 Replacement code for Tivoweb 1.9.4 if your mobile absolutely has to have the xhtml mime type.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xtivoweb.zip (19.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: zip httpd-tt.zip (5.8 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by johala_reewi : 09-14-2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: updated phone list
johala_reewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
inahat

Great job you've done. Works brilliantly on the same phone as you.
inahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
Pete77

This works well when tested in Tivoweb.

Am just about to update my mobile from a geriatric one so will let you know about that in due course.

Even if you are on TMobile WebnWalk in the UK on £1 per day for web browsing their overseas data tariffs zoom up to a highway robbery £7 per MB, so a cut down TivoWeb like yours is essential for overseas mobile use.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
TCM2007

Working nicely here on a Nokie E50.

Adding search would make this a killer module,
TCM2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
Fred Smith
Still learning

Nice one.

Works fine on a 6230i and 5140.

Just need the Manual Record option, please.

Register here and keep your S1 alive:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fred Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
itm

works great on a Nokia 6820 - brilliant work - thanks!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
johala_reewi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete77
Even if you are on TMobile WebnWalk in the UK on £1 per day for web browsing their overseas data tariffs zoom up to a highway robbery £7 per MB, so a cut down TivoWeb like yours is essential for overseas mobile use.
Vodafone PayAsYouTalk is £7.50 per MB (but fortunately, they charge per KB). Hence my need to keep the data transfer down to a minimum. I will be adding programme search and manual record (they are next on the list).
Old 03-18-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
Pete77

Quote:
Originally Posted by johala_reewi
Vodafone PayAsYouTalk is £7.50 per MB (but fortunately, they charge per KB). Hence my need to keep the data transfer down to a minimum. I will be adding programme search and manual record (they are next on the list).
I'm sure that we all look forward to seeing their addition to this already excellent module in due course.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
TCM2007

Bug report - deleting a season pass fails with an uninitialised variable in an expr function (sorry, didn't make a note of which one!).
TCM2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
johala_reewi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM2007
Bug report - deleting a season pass fails with an uninitialised variable in an expr function (sorry, didn't make a note of which one!).
Also affected edit season pass. Uploaded latest version to post #1
Old 03-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #11
johala_reewi

Whoops. While fixing the edit & delete season pass bug, I stopped the add season pass working All fixed now and latest version is uploaded to post #1
Old 03-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #12
johala_reewi

Have added manual recording. Seems to work OK but I don't really use this so maybe somebody who does can test it out? Also, as well as record by Date&Channel and record by Date&Time, I have added record by Channel&Time for completeness. Who knows, it might even be useful

Latest version (1.00) uploaded to post #1 of this thread.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
Pete77

Well done Johala.

However am still looking forward to the addition of Search by Title and Keyword in due course.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:58 AM   #14
SilkMan

Excellent stuff! Works great on my samsung d900. Hadn't tried using the mobile before for accessing the tivo but your module has provided the impetus I needed. Thanks very much for making the effort and sharing it with everyone.

I look forward to the addition of "Get the kids to go to bed" and "Do the washing up" modules in due course

Actually, I'd even pay for those

Until then, accept a hearty (virtual) pat on the back as a token of my gratitude.
SilkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:17 AM   #15
johala_reewi

I seem to have built in a useful feature (by accident) which is book a season pass for a film. I found this out by calling up film4 and selecting a film I was interested in. I was offered the option to add season pass so I did and it worked!! Tivo spotted that the showing I was looking at had a conflict but found a repeat showing later in the week and sheduled that. AFAIK you can't add a season pass for a film using normal tivo (or tivoweb). This also seems to work for other 'one off' programmes. Bonus
Old 03-29-2007, 07:40 AM   #16
johala_reewi

Whoops.
Have just discovered bug introduced when adding manual recording.
Affects 'show programme data' screen.
Will fix tonight.

edit: Bug fixed. v1.01 uploaded to post #1

Last edited by johala_reewi : 03-29-2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Upadte
Old 04-12-2007, 06:52 AM   #17
Pete77

OK I now have a Sony Ericsson V600i that can browse simple web sites of this kind.

I find that functions such as Phone and Info are working absolutely fine on the phone but when I try to use Now Playing or To Do I get as far as a list of dates with selection buttons alongside them I can click to select but when I then try to click to select that date to see the Now Playing or To Do items for that data nothing happens and I am not taken on to the next screen of items for that date.

I definitely have the very latest version of xtivoweb running on my Tivo and have done a Full Reload but still the problem keeps happening.

Is this only affecting me and my Sony Eircsson V600i and if so what could be causing it???
Old 04-12-2007, 07:32 AM   #18
johala_reewi

Could be a Sony Ericsson funny. Will see if I can find an emulator and give it a try.

Just to double check can you let me know how far you get:

On Main menu
Select Now Showing.

On Now Showing screen.
The Dates drop down list should have the focus.
Click Select - get list of dates.
Use up and down then Select the date you want.
The Dates drop down list now shows your selected date.
Click Down to move focus to the Showings drop down list.
Click Down again to move focus to the GO button.
Click SUBMIT (select) to press the GO button.

You should see a list of Now Showing items for the selected date.

Last edited by johala_reewi : 04-12-2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #19
Pete77

Quote:
Just to double check can you let me know how far you get:

On Main menu
Select Now Showing.

On Now Showing screen.
The Dates drop down list should have the focus.
Click Select - get list of dates.
Use up and down then Select the date you want.
The Dates drop down list now shows your selected date.
Click Down to move focus to the Showings drop down list.
Click Down again to move focus to the GO button.
Click SUBMIT (select) to press the GO button.

You should see a list of Now Showing items for the selected date.
I select Option 2 for "To Do" on the main menu on the phone browser.

This takes me to a list saying Select in the first line and then next line a circular toggle with the toggle in black has "All days" and then below that a circular toggle which is empty with "Fri 13-Apr 07", "Sat 14-Apr07", "Sun 15-Apr 07" and so on line after line with circular toggle button through to Wed 25-Apr 07. If I select Fri 13-Apr 07" the toggle button focus changes to that day but when I then press Select again with the soft key select button or by pressing down the joystick button to Select that item nothing happens. This is true for all date options including All Days.

The same kind of thing happens with Now Showing. When I select it I get a list with Select in the first line and then All Days with a circular toggle button in the next line which is filled in black by default. I then get the days line by line from Thu 12-Apr 07 going back indefinitely (given how many old programs I have) with a toggle button next to each. Highlighting the item and selecting it turns the toggle button black but selecting it again results in nothing happening instead of a list of Now Showing items for that day appearing.

By contrast on my PC TivoWeb browser for Now Showing I get a drop down list of all dates I can select from and another drop down box with "All Showings", "Deleted", "New", "Expired", "Kept" etc and a Go button underneath to select once I have chosen from both those lists. With To Do I just get one drop down dates box in my PC Tivweb browser and a Go button underneath.

Is the problem that the Sony Ericsson browser can't handle drop down selection lists and insists on showing a toggle button for each day instead? Then when you toggle the day you can't select again to trigger the next stage of the selection process?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:53 AM   #20
johala_reewi

It could be that the Sony has a problem with <select> lists. I tried to download the emulator from the sony website but their download verification process doesn't work From what you say, it doesn't sound as if the page is being rendered properly. This is how the first Now Showing screen looks on the Nokia 6230 and the Sony should be similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (24.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-13-2007, 08:02 AM   #21
Pete77

Quote:
This is how the first Now Showing screen looks on the Nokia 6230 and the Sony should be similar.
It only looks that way running xtivoweb on my notebook PC in my web browser.

On the Sony V600i I get a list of dates line by line with a toggle button next to each date to select and turn the toggle button black. I can select the toggle for the date I want and turn its circular toggle button black but I can't then select the date itself to make it go on to the next screen with the relevant programs.

I don't have a Go button.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #22
johala_reewi

I have just found this which may be the answer to the problem.

http://developer.sonyericsson.com/th...9832&tstart=30

The key bit is..
A header should be declared.
application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml or application/xhtml+xml with a UTF-8 character set
AND A DTD should be declared.
The Sony Ericsson T610 reverts to cHTML when it does not detect any headers.

I serve up the DTD for XHMTL-MP (not XHTML) correctly and Tivoweb declares a text/html type so I guess your Sony is saying nada and falling into cHTML mode. However, <SELECT> is also part of the cHTML spec so it should still work.

If I can get a response from the Sony webteam about why their download doesn't work and I can get the emulator, I can look a bit further. Can you browse other websites OK with your phone? Try www.google.com then go down to preferences and select it. There is a select box on this page. Does it work?
Old 04-13-2007, 08:14 AM   #23
johala_reewi

Quote:
It only looks that way running xtivoweb on my notebook PC in my web browser.

On the Sony V600i I get a list of dates line by line with a toggle button next to each date to select and turn the toggle button black. I can select the toggle for the date I want and turn its circular toggle button black but I can't then select the date itself to make it go on to the next screen with the relevant programs.

I don't have a Go button.
Sounds like your phone doesn't like XHTML-MP
Old 05-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #24
itm

Bug report? I get the following error when I use "select by channel/time" then click on a program:

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
--cut here--
action_xtivoweb '/s' 'set "s" "4219975/88";'
can't read "seltype": no such variable
while executing
"if {$series!="" && $seltype!="5"} {
puts -nonewline $chan "View Upcoming
"
set spfsid [xtivoweb_find_..."
(procedure "xtivoweb_showprogram" line 121)
invoked from within
"xtivoweb_showprogram $chan "" $env"
(procedure "::action_xtivoweb" line 95)
invoked from within
"::action_$action $chan $part $env"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval {::action_$action $chan $part $env}"
--cut here--
Old 05-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #25
Pete77

Quote:
Sounds like your phone doesn't like XHTML-MP
I found I got the same problem with multiple selection toggle buttons on different lines that I could not then select or go beyond in one of the weather information modules that is part of Vodafone Live.

I downloaded the latest version of the Sony software for the phone but it didn't cure the problem.

Also how are you getting on with adding Search by Name?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:36 AM   #26
johala_reewi

Quote:
Originally Posted by itm
Bug report? I get the following error when I use "select by channel/time" then click on a program:

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
--cut here--
action_xtivoweb '/s' 'set "s" "4219975/88";'
while executing
"
invoked from within
invoked from within
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
--cut here--
Which channel & time did you select and which programme?
Also, are you using the latest version of xhtml See post #1 for latest)
there was a bug in this area which was fixed in v1.01
Old 05-21-2007, 07:40 AM   #27
johala_reewi

Quote:
I found I got the same problem with multiple selection toggle buttons on different lines that I could not then select or go beyond in one of the weather information modules that is part of Vodafone Live.

I downloaded the latest version of the Sony software for the phone but it didn't cure the problem.

Also how are you getting on with adding Search by Name?
Have been a busy lately so search by name is still being done.
My boss has a Sony mobile is always complaining about it.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:02 AM   #28
itm

Quote:
Which channel & time did you select and which programme?
Also, are you using the latest version of xhtml See post #1 for latest)
there was a bug in this area which was fixed in v1.01
I think it was Inside Sport on BBC1 but I just tried tonight's Panorama and got something similar (see below).

I'm not 100% sure which version is installed by the TCL file on the Tivo is dated 29/3/07 - does that help?

Mon 21-May-07 20:30
Channel BBC1LDN
Panorama
WiFi: A Warning Signal
Drn: 00:30 End: 21:00
(2007) Paul Kenyon investigates the health risks associated with the spread of wireless computer networks.
Record

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
--cut here--
action_xtivoweb '/s' 'set "s" "4204479/170";'
while executing
"
invoked from within
invoked from within
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
--cut here--

If I ignore this and try to Record it anyway then I get this:

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
--cut here--
action_xtivoweb '/s' 'set "o" "r";set "%2Fxtivoweb%2Fs" "4204479/170";set "ql" "75";set "ku" "2";set "sp" "0";set "ep" "0";set "g" "Go";'
expected integer but got ""
while executing
"db $db openid $showingfsid"
("uplevel" body line 5)
invoked from within
"uplevel $body"
invoked from within
"transaction {uplevel $body}"
(procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
invoked from within
"RetryTransaction {
if { [regexp {([0-9]*)/(.*)} $showingfsid junk fsid subobjid] } {
set showing [db $db openid $fsid $subobjid]
..."
(procedure "GetConflictsList" line 4)
invoked from within
"GetConflictsList $s [expr {60 * $sp}] [expr {60 * $ep}]"
(procedure "xtivoweb_record_showing_2" line 6)
invoked from within
"xtivoweb_record_showing_2 $chan"
(procedure "xtivoweb_record_showing" line 14)
invoked from within
"xtivoweb_record_showing $chan "" $env"
(procedure "::action_xtivoweb" line 97)
invoked from within
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
--cut here--
Old 05-21-2007, 08:13 AM   #29
Pete77

Quote:
My boss has a Sony mobile is always complaining about it.
Its a 3G Sony Ericcson V600i that I bought second hand off Ebay for £35 as I only use a mobile for making calls for any length of time occasionally on the odd day and when I go away on a trip somewhere at weekends.

I have generally found this an excellent phone which gets 5 days standby time (although admittedly helped by the fact that my home cell transmitter only supports 2.5G which uses less battery power and that I always run it to near the bottom before fully recharging) but it has outstanding voice call clarity compared to my previous Sendo mobile (also used on Vodafone at the same cell sites) and it never crashes or locks up despite being a high tech, software driven thing.

The 1.3MP camera takes acceptable pics and I really have had no other problems with it. Only this issue with not supporting your mobile phone TivoWeb browser.

I guess Nokia phones are considered to be the generic default but they are usually very poorly featured and more old fashioned in their software interface compared to Sony Ericsson. If this was a widespread problem using websites then surely Sony Ericsson would do something about it?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #30
Pete77

Quote:
Originally Posted by itm
I'm not 100% sure which version is installed by the TCL file on the Tivo is dated 29/3/07 - does that help?
Why not just update it the latest version to be sure.