TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2007, 07:17 PM   #181
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

MC Binc, is your unit connecting on a regular basis? If not, please force a connection and let us know the result. Otherwise, please send me a PM with your TSN and I'll look into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #182
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

I guess there ARE things worse than losing manual recordings for a few weeks:

Boy Jailed over Daylight Saving Time (gizmodo)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #183
ryanjennings

Has anyone noticed trouble with the times not matching on some channels? Most of my season passes work fine. Those on Discovery channel seem to be off by 1 hour. I never applied for the patch.
ryanjennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:29 PM   #184
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjennings
Has anyone noticed trouble with the times not matching on some channels? Most of my season passes work fine. Those on Discovery channel seem to be off by 1 hour. I never applied for the patch.
Time settings would be global. The issue you are reporting sounds more like a lineup issue for that one channel. I suggest you file a report after following the instructions at tivo.com/lineup. The final paragraph in that article links to a form where you can file the report without having to call in for assistance.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #185
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
I suggest you file a report after following the instructions at tivo.com/lineup. The final paragraph in that article links to a form where you can file the report without having to call in for assistance.
Well this is a nice fresh air breather: until now I thought all customer service problems had to be resolved by phone.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:54 PM   #186
ryanjennings

I will give it a try. Seems unlikely to me to have an error in a channel as popular as the Discovery channel for this long and strange that the problem happened so close to the time change.
ryanjennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:56 AM   #187
rkshack

series 1 timezone fix

Will I lose my hack directory if the update is applied. Will I need to reinstall my hacks.

rkshack
rkshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:23 PM   #188
jberman
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkshack
Will I lose my hack directory if the update is applied. Will I need to reinstall my hacks.
Nope, hacks will be fine.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #189
varybarry

That's great I thought for sure all of my hack directory would be lost.

varybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:23 PM   #190
justapixel
Domestic Extremist

Are we still needing this as a sticky?

Thank you to my TCF friends for your help in winning the contest and your support of my son's education. You are all amazing people, and I adore you.

justapixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #191
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
I'd say yes.

So that all will know and benefit, and none shall be left in the shadows, mourning over their lack of understanding on such things.

Or maybe just so the info isn't lost. *grin*
Old 06-23-2007, 05:27 AM   #192
bicker
Gruff

Isn't this going to come up twice (four times?) a year, now?
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #193
jberman
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
Isn't this going to come up twice (four times?) a year, now?
Yeah, I guess so... but I think, with the way TiVo wrote their script, future DST adjustments should be transparent to the user... so I doubt this thread will get much more activity. Someone might glance ahead in their program guide to a time after an upcoming time change, and entries in the guide may appear to be an hour off, but scheduled recordings will still occur at the proper time. No need to recreate manual recordings anymore

By the way, thanks to whoever wrote all this up in TiVo's Wikipedia entry. Well done!
Old 06-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #194
timckelley
TCFer

Oh, I see that jberman has been immortalized by Wikipedia in that article.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:35 PM   #195
varybarry

That's quite an accomplishment now a days... what next David Letterman?

varybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:28 AM   #196
musika

COOL.. nice to here
musika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #197
cthomp

Just noticed this. Starting the 28th listings are off by 1 hour.
cthomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:49 AM   #198
bicker
Gruff

Wasn't that expected?
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:37 AM   #199
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomp
Just noticed this. Starting the 28th listings are off by 1 hour.
Are they off because you think we should be falling back or does the TiVo think we are?
The Energy Policy Act of 2005 changed both when DST starts and ends. The Fall time change was moved from the last Sunday in October to the first Sunday in November.
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:50 AM   #200
BobCamp1

You should read this entire 199 post thread.

Basically, leave your Tivo continuously conencted to a phone line the next month. The displayed times will be wrong, but Tivo will eventually fix itself (twice) and by Nov 5th, everything will be normal until next March.

The recordings will record OK, it's just the displayed times that are wrong. When recording from the guide, ignore the displayed times and select the program you want by its name.

For manual recordings, it's opposite -- ignore the name of the program and just enter the same times that we will go by. If you know the program is on at 6 AM, set the manual recording for 6AM. The manual recordings will look like their wrong, and may even wrongly conflict with some other recording you might have, but your Tivo will (hopefully) fix itself at the last minute, the conflicts will disappear, and everything will (hopefully) be fine. Don't change any season passes or existing manual recordings.

It's not a great fix for the new DST dates, but it's better than nothing.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:16 PM   #201
MC Binc

More going on with S1s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
Wasn't that expected?
There may be more going on. I'm one of a number of people who got the DST upgrade but had it go wonky. Clock has been reading one hour ahead all Summer but scheduled recordings happen correctly. Manual recordings had to be adjusted at the beginning and end of the DST deltas. System rebooted last night and now the clock reads correctly and scheduled recordings are happening as expected (will have to bump the manuals again). Version number didn't change but that may not be a true indicator.
MC Binc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #202
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

BobCamp1 has this right. As long as you leave your S1 connected, it should download the fix the day before the change and then resolve itself with a reboot that night. If someone reports not receiving the update due to an unsuccessful phone connection (line busy, call interrupted, phone line disconnected), they'll want to force a connection manually.

The only problem here is that the phone connection will not finish (status = succeeded). It will remain "unfinished" as it's waiting for the 2am reboot to run the update. Since some of these reports might be from units that only have a phone line connected once a week, the indexing portion of the call could take some time before the call has finished processing (even though it says it hasn't). So, the best advise is to wait awhile, an hour might be a safe bet but no guarantee, before pulling power.

I'm not sure why MC Binc's issue has held on all summer, nor did I expect it to resolve itself before tomorrow. "Time" (it's all relevant, right? ) will tell if this resolves his situation.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #203
BobCamp1

As a follow up, my Tivo did NOT update on Sunday. It still had the old time, and I missed a manual recording. It may have been a unsuccessful connection, though it attempted at 11:37 PM when no one was awake.

It looked like it was going to update last night, but I forgot to check it this morning. The call status did not say "completed" last night, but said "loading data". Also, the next scheduled call time was BEHIND the last successful call time by two minutes. So I'm going to assume it rebooted at 2 AM.

It's too bad there was no official software fix for this. I'm going to have to babysit my Tivo during the old and new time changes from now on. I'll force a connection Saturday AM, then check before I go to bed that it was successful (i.e. "loading data").
Old 10-29-2007, 12:25 PM   #204
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

BobCamp1, if you send me a PM with your 15-digit TSN, I'll see if we can determine what happened from your logs.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:57 PM   #205
MC Binc

Oh, well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Binc
There may be more going on.
Spoke too soon. While I did get a reboot, the system is otherwise unchanged. Looking ahead, on return to EST, my TiVo is going to be an hour ahead again. Whatever download was delivered didn't fix my problem. !@#$#
Old 10-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #206
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Binc
Spoke too soon. While I did get a reboot, the system is otherwise unchanged. Looking ahead, on return to EST, my TiVo is going to be an hour ahead again. Whatever download was delivered didn't fix my problem. !@#$#
That's normal. Tivo will adjust itself again this coming Sunday at 2AM, and all the times will be suddenly correct again. But until then, all the times for shows starting 2 AM this coming Sunday will be an hour off. The important thing to ask is what time your Tivo think it is right now. If it's correct, and the guide data for JUST THIS WEEK shows the correct times, then you have the workaround in place. Don't look ahead - if things are working as expected, the times for next week will be off by an hour.

The problem isn't getting "fixed" -- Tivo is unfortunately implementing a workaround. The guide data will be off four times a year, and each time Tivo should automatically adjust at 2 AM and everything will be OK. (This workaround has officially confused my wife as well).
Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #207
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

BobCamp1 is correct. Do not worry about what is coming up after the 4th. You will download another update that will reboot the box to correct the time that day.

Keep in mind that the Series1 software branch stopped at 3.0 (back in 2001 IIRC?) and we are currently up to 9.2 on our S3 & TiVo HD platforms. We really can't step backword to open that old SW back up and begin testing on that platform. Plus, keep in mind that these units have not received a true software upgrade in a long time. Stirring up that old software partition would likely cause a lot of drives to have issues.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #208
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
Keep in mind that the Series1 software branch stopped at 3.0 (back in 2001 IIRC?)
It was in 2002, but who's counting...
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #209
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo
It was in 2002, but who's counting...
Ah, they all blend together in a blur.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:42 PM   #210
MC Binc

Wait and see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1
That's normal.
I hope it continues to be normal. You'll notice from past postings that my TiVo spent the Summer off by an hour. It's soon to be retired but still...