TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #151
AFP1
AFP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornblowercat
I don't believe that the hardware in the S3 is that close to what is in the S2 or S1. However I've never opened a box and if I did I wouldn't be able to tell to be perfectly honest. Still the price of the S3 suggest to me that hardware has to be much different.

If you really want to enjoy this feature, I think you need to buy an S3. I doubt TiVo is going to make an "adapter" or a card to make this happen.
Well, I'm Sorry to say, the actual set up of an S3 Unit is *VERY MUCH the Same as all other Units! The Only differences are the Hard Drive and Tuner.
I have openned Both types many times, and replaced parts as well. The ONLY Real difference is the Tuner, which in my opinion is nowhere near worth a difference of $700.00!! And especially when they get to keep 2 Regular Tuners in the Swap!! I can Buy an HD Tuner for under $100.00!! They probably Pay no more than $50.00 for the same thing!
Your getting Ripped Off, just as I did!
But Someday, they will have some Competition, and maybe then things will get better all around!
AFP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #152
hornblowercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP1
Well, I'm Sorry to say, the actual set up of an S3 Unit is *VERY MUCH the Same as all other Units! The Only differences are the Hard Drive and Tuner.
I have openned Both types many times, and replaced parts as well. The ONLY Real difference is the Tuner, which in my opinion is nowhere near worth a difference of $700.00!! And especially when they get to keep 2 Regular Tuners in the Swap!! I can Buy an HD Tuner for under $100.00!! They probably Pay no more than $50.00 for the same thing!
Your getting Ripped Off, just as I did!
But Someday, they will have some Competition, and maybe then things will get better all around!

I don't feel ripped off at all. I love the S3. And yes the Tuner is the difference. Is it worth the price they charge? Probably not if you take it as an individual item, but it is the entire package that makes the S3 great.

And as far as competition, why doesn't any of the current DVR's try and do it? The answer is simple. They can't.

I'm real sorry you feel ripped off. I would pay the same amount all over again for the S3 just because it leaves cable dvr's in the dust.
hornblowercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:25 AM   #153
patters000

Has anyone had problems with channels missing after receiving the Priority DST update on their Series 1? After receiving the update here, a bunch of channels have gone missing. I had had a manual season pass on one of them, and when I tried editing it, I received an 'errDbMissing' message.

Anyone else experiencing an alteration in their lineup after this update? Perhaps a system reset would fix the problem.
patters000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:09 AM   #154
sfhub

Quote:
Well, I'm Sorry to say, the actual set up of an S3 Unit is *VERY MUCH the Same as all other Units!
Isn't that a good thing? Consistent setup and interface? If you mean the hardware layout/design/config, I think the S3 is significantly different. It has component and HDMI outputs (similar to HDDTiVo), CableCARD inputs, SATA vs IDE drives (and by extension eSATA port), and builtin ethernet ports.

Quote:
The Only differences are the Hard Drive and Tuner.
I think the people who do end up buying an S3 usually feel the CableCARD support and expandable storage are the key features they are after (plus the TiVo UI and reliability)

Whether someone feels this is worth it for the price is of course YMMV.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:58 PM   #155
jackpollack

Real DST Patch side effects?

I have a Tivo S1 with CacheCard (and network interface) & 120GB HD. Ten days ago I successfully applied the manual DST time patch and everything is working well.

I am considering unpatching and using the "real" Tivo fix so that I don't have to deal with manual changes 4X a year (don't want to add chron), but am concerned with possible side effects.

I have read through this thread and don't see much discussion of good or bad results with the Tivo patch and modified Tivos other than some missing channels from the lineup.

So what I want to confirm is:
1. Can anyone confirm that the Tivo patch will not break anything with CacheCard.
2. I think I saw some possible problems with 130GB+ HDs, but 120GB isn't a problem.
3. Any more info on the missing lineup channels?
4. Any other reported side effects?
5. Am I better off just sticking with the manual patch?

Thanks

Last edited by jackpollack : 03-24-2007 at 02:03 PM.
jackpollack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #156
patters000

For the missing channels problem, performing a simple system reboot fixed the problem. After rebooting it seemed to crunch for a while, maybe on some unimported program data, but the channels were there and eventually recordable again.
patters000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #157
Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpollack
1. Can anyone confirm that the Tivo patch will not break anything with CacheCard.

Thanks
My S1 with cache card took the TiVo dst update just fine. I am running two 120G drives in it, so I don't know what effect if any, will be on your 130G drive. But here's encouragement from Pony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
It's not a full software update. No worries.

Pony

Last edited by Mars : 03-25-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:27 PM   #158
bmeyer1968

Just to make sure I have it correct....

I've got 3 S1, unsubbed HDR212s. 1 has a 300GB drive, 1 has an 80GB and 1 has a 110GB. When the early DST change came on, I tried a few of the workarounds with GS and changing my Timezone but removing DST and all that, but then gave up and ran it again setting the system to my timezone(CST) with DST enabled, then re-entered all my manual recordings -1 hour. I don't have any problem with all that really, but want to make sure that I'm not going to goof anything up by having done all that. Can someone who KNOWS for sure confirm or deny these statements?

1) it sounds like everyone agrees that the Tivo patch will not mess up the LBA48 kernel and my 300GB drive will go on fine afterwards.
2) After the patch, I will have to change all the manual programs again to 'real' time(no problem, I expected to do this on April 1 anyway).
3) In addition to the inital call to load the patch, I will have to call on April 1 and then 2 more times in the fall for the old 'fall back' date and the new one for 4 calls total each year.
4) Future calls to Tivo to correct clock drift should not entail re-downloading the patch.
5) programs I recorded at -1 hour durring the last few weeks will still show as -1 hour after the patch is applied (SNL starting at 9:30 CST last weekend etc...)

Thanks,
Bill
bmeyer1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:04 AM   #159
lrhorer

Service Costs

Quote:
For the very little Actual Service we Pay for every Month, I feel they should be more Consumer oriented.
That's a matter of opinion, and a rather uninformed one, I might add. I pay $160 a month to my CATV company, yet their program guides are habitually wrong. TiVo's rarely are.

Quote:
You can never even get through on the Phone
I'll allow TiVo's tech support leaves a great deal to be desired, but while I have called their tech support many, many times, I have only had problems getting through once. No offense, but you're sounding rather like my daughter who screams (at the top of her lungs), "You never let me go out!", because she was only allowed to go out 5 days out of 7. Just so you don't get her reputation, please let us know how many times, exactly, you called, when and how long you were on hold, and exactly how many times you were completely unable to reach their support line before it closed.

Armed with that information, I feel fairly confident the TiVo reps in this forum will be able to take your complaints back to their supervisors and have the company investigate the issue. Without it, they have nothing on which to act and you have no cause to be complaining.

Quote:
so we have to settle our own problems here! I have yet to solve anything here!!
To which I can only request again you tell us exactly what problems you attempted to fix in this forum and how it failed to supply the required information.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:42 AM   #160
lrhorer

Can you count?

Quote:
Excuse me? Exactly where is the optical audio output on the TCD649080? The HDMI output? The CableCard slots? THX certification? Cable Labs certification?

Quote:
The ONLY Real difference is the Tuner, which in my opinion is nowhere near worth a difference of $700.00!! And especially when they get to keep 2 Regular Tuners in the Swap!! I can Buy an HD Tuner for under $100.00!! They probably Pay no more than $50.00 for the same thing!
What a manufacturer pays for an OEM or embedded device and what they must charge to make a profit on that device are two very different things. In order to make a profit, the manufacturer has to recover development and retooling costs, the cost of additional inventory, and account for sales volume. The sales of the Series III are going to be lower in volume due in part to its higher price, increased competition, and saturation of the Series I and Series II in the marketplace. Add to that the licensing issues and the additional features of the Series III, and the box is going to be much more expensive.

Quote:
They already have competition - lots of it. Some day has been here for years. So how come you're still complaining?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #161
joblo

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://tivo.com/dst
If you should Repeat Guided Setup for any reason between the time your Series1 DVR receives the update and April 1, your TiVo DVR may display the wrong time until its next connection to the TiVo service.
FYI, this does NOT work as advertised.

I repeated GS on a machine that had received the update and was displaying the correct time. Repeating GS reverted the unit to incorrect time as indicated, but neither daily calls nor rebooting restored the correct time after repeating GS.
joblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #162
cthomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo

I repeated GS on a machine that had received the update and was displaying the correct time. Repeating GS reverted the unit to incorrect time as indicated, but neither daily calls nor rebooting restored the correct time after repeating GS.
Same problem.
cthomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #163
timckelley
TCFer

Uh oh... looks like another fine piece of workmanship from TiVo's programmers.

They need to hire somebody like jberman or dswallow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #164
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo

Could you guys PM me with your TSN's? Our engineers would like to take a closer look at this.

Thanks,
Pony
Old 03-30-2007, 06:57 AM   #165
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer
That's a matter of opinion, and a rather uninformed one, I might add. I pay $160 a month to my CATV company, yet their program guides are habitually wrong. TiVo's rarely are.
I have noticed no significant difference between the accuracy of program guide data between the guide provided by my cable company for its box, and the guide provided on my TiVos. The only exceptions to that is when a show changes from 1:01 to 1:03 on the day before; the TiVo tends to get word of that in time, while the cable box doesn't. Other than that, I have seen not one significant difference in accuracy.

Quote:
I'll allow TiVo's tech support leaves a great deal to be desired
They're down-right rude and unhelpful, which is a painful contrast to their own customer service folks, who are very polite and understanding, and to the cable company's tech support and customer support, who are also rather polite and understanding.

Quote:
Armed with that information, I feel fairly confident the TiVo reps in this forum will be able to take your complaints back to their supervisors and have the company investigate the issue.
I think there has been a lot of comments over the last year about the poor attitude of tech support folks as compared to the customer service/billing folks at TiVo. I haven't noticed much of a change. >shrug<

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:09 PM   #166
Haxx

It appears I have been sent another update from TiVo that has set both of my "DST patched" S1 TiVos to be restarted. And have reverted them to show the time as if DST had not yet happened.

My only guess is that this is in preparation for tomorrow's (4/1) phantom change to DST. After thinking about this it's possible it was not sent an update, but just looked like an update, based on the "loading data" message re. the phone connection.

Assuming this is the case, TiVo should at least display a message on my TiVo that this could be the case. I awoke Saturday morning to one of my S1's in this mode (behind an hour) and thought it had lost the patch. I forgot that the old DST change was about 18 hours away.
Haxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:19 PM   #167
AFP1
AFP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
I have news to share.

Recently TiVo sent notices out to our Series1 owners that for the next three weeks their clock would be off by one hour, and their manual recordings would have to be adjusted.

This was due to the change to Daylight Savings Time mandated by Congress.

Our engineers had worked on the problem, and had not come up with a solution that would take care of all Series1 standalone systems.

They were wrong. It doesn't happen very often, but they are human, and humans make mistakes. A solution was found by a forum member here and posted. This is a case where I'm actually happy to say we were wrong.

So...a fix is going to be made available, very shortly, for Series1 standalone customers. It's very similar to what was posted - same basic idea, slightly different implementation. We've been testing it here this week.

There will be a sign-up page to receive this update, and I'll update this thread with the url as soon as it's ready.

[edit: Here's the URL. Note that the customer support materials linked from that page may not have been updated just yet...]

Series1 customers will also be receiving notification that a fix is available.

As we've just messaged folks to change all of their manual recordings, we're not going to automatically send this out to everyone (if we did, well, we'd mess things up for anyone that *had* changed their manual recordings). So, when I post the url to this thread, sign up.

We do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the transition to the new DST dates, and we anticipate this will not be an issue going forward.

Thanks,
Pony
**FINALLY!!
I guess if many people make complaints, even Tivo will come up with an answer!!
But if you noticed, they have known about this Time Change for a long time. Why not do something *BEFORE the problem becomes one?? They call it "Preventive Maintinence", which does not really even apply here, because you knew about the problem beforehand!
Instead of "Preventive", they should have used "Common Sense" and avoided the problem completely! Not wait till what they know will happen actually happens, then create a Fix later when the problem is giving people a hard time!! But if you call, they will probably tell you what they tell me each time I call and ask about something, "Buy a New Machine"!
Tivo just has a BS IT/Maintinence Dept. period! If the Director Worked for me, he would have been Fired well before Daylight Savings Time if not corrected beforehand!!
AFP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:27 PM   #168
biker
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxx
It appears I have been sent another update from TiVo that has set both of my "DST patched" S1 TiVos to be restarted. And have reverted them to show the time as if DST had not yet happened.

My only guess is that this is in preparation for tomorrow's (4/1) phantom change to DST. After thinking about this it's possible it was not sent an update, but just looked like an update, based on the "loading data" message re. the phone connection.

Assuming this is the case, TiVo should at least display a message on my TiVo that this could be the case. I awoke Saturday morning to one of my S1's in this mode (behind an hour) and thought it had lost the patch. I forgot that the old DST change was about 18 hours away.
I got it last night on my machine.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:41 AM   #169
geeper6

back to the wrong time

So I have the series 1, sony model. and I got the priority patch for DST a few weeks ago and everything was great, no glitches or bugs, but since the time was originally supposed to change last night, well it changed. Now I have not been able to dial out and connect all day and when it did connect, nothing changed in terms of time. Is there another patch to fix the time again?

Thanks,
KO
geeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #170
BobCamp1

I think I got lucky. My scheduled daily call was already set to 11:57 PM Saturday night, so as far as I know my Tivo worked perfectly. (Hopefully, this time was actually planned by Tivo).

I'm surprised Tivo didn't have Haxx's unit reboot scheduled for 2 AM. Unless something else (like a power loss) ocurred between the time of Saturday's daily call and 2 AM. Then Tivo would reboot with the wrong times, and you'd miss all of your manual recordings for Saturday. I'll have to check to see if I can determine exactly when my Tivo rebooted.

I'm further surprised Tivo didn't force the S1s to perform their daily call between 11 PM and 2 AM. This would also minimize the chance of missing the daily call, since most people are not talking on the phone at this time. It also minimizes the amount of time the unit could have the wrong time.

Also, if Saturday's daily call is missed, the unit will miss Sunday's manual recordings and all further manual recordings until it can complete the call. Unless Tivo just "hit" all of the units on Saturday only, so if you missed that daily call you're SOL.

That's the problem with this workaround solution -- there are a lot of things that can go wrong. Daily calls were designed so that they could be missed for a few days. That's why you have 10 days of guide data. But the workaorund assumes every single one of your calls is successful, which goes against the original design intent.

Does anyone out there having problems also have Vonage or some other VoIP service? This could be another reason why the daily call was missed.

Last edited by BobCamp1 : 04-03-2007 at 08:16 AM.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #171
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

My brother's S1 is off by 1 hour, later. I called his GF, she belives GS was not done to change DST, to No. They connect with broadband every so often, 2yr kid and location is the reason. She thinks the time was correct for 3 days before April 1

If you got the update and restarted before the 15min - 30min suggested by TiVojerry, would that cause this Issue.

I told her to redo GS and say they have NO DST.
Leon WIlkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:25 AM   #172
BobCamp1

I think she should repeat GS to say they HAVE DST. This should kick Tivo into the right time, as we are already past the old DST date. I think your suggestion will make the Tivo an hour late.

If you signed up for the update, you really needed a daily connection around the old and new DST dates for the thing to work properly. An occasional daily call just won't work.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #173
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
If the Director Worked for me, he would have been Fired well before Daylight Savings Time if not corrected beforehand!!
based on your meaningless ramblings here anyone working for you would have quit well before you had a chance to fire them
Old 04-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #174
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

I applied for and got the Series 1 DST update for my Philips HDR-612 after TiVo Pony announced it (March 17th). I now just noticed that my Series 1 is now one hour ahead of where it should be. If I press LIVE TV it shows the time 1 hour faster at the top right and the times on the shows that I am going to record appear to be 1 hour ahead. For example NCIS is on CBS tonight at 8:00PM ET and my TIVO shows it as being on at 9:00PM .

UPDATE: Weird... I forced another update and it must have downloaded the DST fix again since it said Loading... with no other info. I waited about 30 min and then rebooted. It appears to be ok now. I don't have this Tivo connected to the net all the time (it has a TivoNET card) so it probably would have fixed itself.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV

Last edited by George Cifranci : 04-03-2007 at 04:27 PM.
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #175
lrhorer

TiVo Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
I have noticed no significant difference between the accuracy of program guide data between the guide provided by my cable company for its box, and the guide provided on my TiVos. The only exceptions to that is when a show changes from 1:01 to 1:03 on the day before; the TiVo tends to get word of that in time, while the cable box doesn't. Other than that, I have seen not one significant difference in accuracy.
As always, individual mileage will vary. The TWC cable guide often shows the incorrect duration for programs whose duration changes from time to time (like NBC does regularly). This frequently resulted in the first or last minute or two being chopped off the program. When the cable company launched a new HD Channel (Universal HD), it was four months before it even showed up in the TWC TV guide, and then it was wrong. I had gotten rid of the TWC DVR by the time they fixed this, assuming they ever did. The TiVo had the wrong channel name, but the programming was correct within a few weeks of the launch of the channel.

Quote:
They're down-right rude and unhelpful
That's very different from being unreachable. Again, I'll allow they need better, more knowledgable technicians. I also suspect the techs are rated based upon a quota of calls serviced. They clearly wnat to get you off the line ASAP. If I surmise correctly, then TiVo needs to eliminate call quotas.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #176
bicker
Gruff

Well, wouldn't the CSRs be subject to call quotas as well? Why aren't they surly and unhelpful as well?

Old 04-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #177
lrhorer

Evaluations, bonuses, and sales vs. tech

Quote:
Well, wouldn't the CSRs be subject to call quotas as well? Why aren't they surly and unhelpful as well?
Well, one never knows, but I doubt it. I suspect they may be more on something like a commission or success based bonus basis. Most companies view technical support as a cost of doing business which needs to be trimmed as much as possible. It's not considered to be revenue generating. The more customers serviced in a smaller amount of time, the better. Customer service, however, is seen as generating revenue. The more time a CSR / sales rep spends with a customer, the better the company likes it. Frequently, tech support personnel are evaluated based upon the number of calls taken. CSRs by contrast are often evaluated based on how successful each call is.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #178
cokyq

Sorry, I have not read the complete thread, and it probablyt has already been addressed.

After the patch fixed the time on my Series 1 before April 1st, now that the original April change date has passed, my clock on my S1 is off by one hour. Anyone else having this problem?

OK. I read back and it appears that I need to force another update. Will try it when I get home next Wednesday and see if that fixes it.

Regards...
Phillips w/80gig drive
Sony KF-50XBR800
Sony PS3 (Blu-Ray Player - NOW UPSCALES DVDs!!!)
cokyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:46 AM   #179
bicker
Gruff

It worked for me.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #180
MC Binc

Another S1 with shifted times

I have another S1 with DST issues after April 1st. I signed up for the special upgrade within a few days of its announcement. Within two days, the system had restarted and times (EDT) appeared correct. On 4/1, time jumped forward again and now manual recordings occur an hour early. So, what's the official path to get this condition corrected?
MC Binc is offline   Reply With Quote