TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Arrow New Daylight Savings Time Update for Series1

I have news to share.

Recently TiVo sent notices out to our Series1 owners that for the next three weeks their clock would be off by one hour, and their manual recordings would have to be adjusted.

This was due to the change to Daylight Savings Time mandated by Congress.

Our engineers had worked on the problem, and had not come up with a solution that would take care of all Series1 standalone systems.

They were wrong. It doesn't happen very often, but they are human, and humans make mistakes. A solution was found by a forum member here and posted. This is a case where I'm actually happy to say we were wrong.

So...a fix is going to be made available, very shortly, for Series1 standalone customers. It's very similar to what was posted - same basic idea, slightly different implementation. We've been testing it here this week.

There will be a sign-up page to receive this update, and I'll update this thread with the url as soon as it's ready.

[edit: Here's the URL. Note that the customer support materials linked from that page may not have been updated just yet...]

Series1 customers will also be receiving notification that a fix is available.

As we've just messaged folks to change all of their manual recordings, we're not going to automatically send this out to everyone (if we did, well, we'd mess things up for anyone that *had* changed their manual recordings). So, when I post the url to this thread, sign up.

We do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the transition to the new DST dates, and we anticipate this will not be an issue going forward.

Thanks,
Pony

Last edited by TiVoPony : 03-14-2007 at 06:49 PM.
TiVoPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

While I don't have an S1, I applaud the endeavors of your team and that of the forum member who came up with a solution. Nice to see teamwork!!

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
wdave

Excellent!

/subscribe for url

Wait, does this mean I can't argue for a free Series 2 with lifetime transfer? No? Darn.
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
timckelley
TCFer

Good deal! I'll be subscribing for this list when it's ready.

By the way, I can understand not wanting to goof people up who have already changed their manual recordings, but I would think messages would be sent out before Fall, so that people who don't read the forums here won't have to deal with this in the Fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave
Wait, does this mean I can't argue for a free Series 2 with lifetime transfer? No? Darn.
That would have been so sweet to upgrade my lifetime to a series 2 DT. Your 'darn' is well taken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 03-14-2007 at 05:48 PM.
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
dhulcher
owns S1 and DTV-S1

Great job, TiVo and anyone on the forum that assisted them.
dhulcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
Opusnbill7
S1 Lifetime User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave
Excellent!

/subscribe for url

Amen....but I'm still glad they're fixing it. My faith is restored in Tivo.
Opusnbill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

So ... who's the forum member that gets a free TiVo or subscription package for helping the engineers out?

I would think at least the Series 1 owners here should buy that TCF poster a beer or two!
drew2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:01 PM   #8
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

for such an upfront post on how a vexing issue was resolved to the customer's benefit.

Last edited by ZeoTiVo : 03-14-2007 at 06:08 PM.
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #9
n548gxg

Thank You
n548gxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
By the way, I can understand not wanting to goof people up who have already changed their manual recordings, but I would think messages would be sent out before Fall, so that people who don't read the forums here won't have to deal with this in the Fall.
It is our expectation that this will be automatically included in the future, making future messaging unnecessary.

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #11
TiVoPony

Here's the URL for Getting the Update

For those of you that start at the bottom of the thread instead of the top:

Here's the URL for signing up for the update.

Note that the customer support document linked from that page may not have been updated just yet...

Pony
Old 03-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #12
GBL
covert opiniative

Pony,

a couple of questions from those series 1 owners who were able to switch to a +1 timezone and turned off automated daylight saving setting (via guided setup) giving us correct time, schedule, and manual recordings until daylight saving time ends in November:

Will this fix interfere with that?

If we have control over the timing of this patch, when should we apply it for minimal disruption? (I realize I will have to rerun guided setup to change the timezone back and enable automatic DST)

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:23 PM   #13
JJ
TiVoPlantation Owner

Thank you,
maybe now my Series1 will continue to have an uncomplicated marginally productive life...
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:28 PM   #14
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I really hope you guys reward the forum member!

I don't have a Series 1 anymore but I would be thanking you if I did!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #15
TiVoPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBL
Pony,

a couple of questions from those series 1 owners who were able to switch to a +1 timezone and turned off automated daylight saving setting (via guided setup) giving us correct time, schedule, and manual recordings until daylight saving time ends in November:

Will this fix interfere with that?

If we have control over the timing of this patch, when should we apply it for minimal disruption? (I realize I will have to rerun guided setup to change the timezone back and enable automatic DST)
Excellent questions, I'm trying to get the answers for you. Until I get everything confirmed, I'd suggest that you hold off on signing up for this if:

* You reran guided setup as a temporary fix
* You took the script that was posted on the forum here and applied it to your box.

I'll try to have definitive answers for you tomorrow on what we'd recommend in each of these instances.

As far as when the update would be applied to your box, that's more difficult to tell. Our 'safe' assumption is within three days of filling out the form you should have the update. Honestly it often can go much much faster than that. It is also gated by when your box calls the service and how many people sign up for the update. Given the number of variables, it's hard to predict an exact time.

Cheers,
Pony
Old 03-14-2007, 07:46 PM   #16
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Thank you jberman for seeing the forest through the trees when I could not. I was close though

Thank you TiVo for stepping up to the plate to address the concerns of S1 owners.

I was certain that TiVo had put S1 standalone customers out to pasture and I was most certainly wrong.

Steve
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #17
jjberger2134

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2k
So ... who's the forum member that gets a free TiVo or subscription package for helping the engineers out?

I would think at least the Series 1 owners here should buy that TCF poster a beer or two!

"jberman"

Look at this thread, start looking at page 19.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...5&page=1&pp=30
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10
jjberger2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:58 PM   #18
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
It is our expectation that this will be automatically included in the future, making future messaging unnecessary.
Good point; that makes sense.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-14-2007, 07:59 PM   #19
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjberger2134
"jberman"

Look at this thread, start looking at page 19.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...5&page=1&pp=30
This is his "eureka" post: link
Old 03-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #20
technomutt

OK, but is this going to change the kernel and crash our S1's with hard drives bigger than 120GB?
technomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #21
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomutt
OK, but is this going to change the kernel and crash our S1's with hard drives bigger than 120GB?
It better not. My S1 certainly does have a bigger hard drive than that.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #22
technomutt

Quote:
Likewise... this better not be like the S1 DirecTivo jump from 3.1 to 3.5. I think I'll wait for others to take the plunge.
technomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #23
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
If it's a full software update, it'll probably include an LBA-28 kernel like the 3.5b update for the S1 combo boxes. If that's the case, I would let the new software install and then immediately install the LBA-48 kernel before anything beyond the 137 GB barrier is accessed.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #24
biker
Outlaw

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #25
timckelley
TCFer

My S1 had it's hard drive replaced by the original owner before I bought it.

But wait, wait. I think I have a false alarm. I recently installed a 250 GB drive in my series 2, but my series 1 has 2 drives: one is 80G, and one is 20G. (The original owner had upgraded to 2 80G drives, but one went bad, so I replaced with the a 20G I had hanging around the house. Small, yes, but it was my only spare drive I wasn't using.)

So since my largest drive in the S1 is only 80G, I'm thinking I have nothing worry about, right?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 03-14-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #26
mattack

Can't you guys just update EVERYONE, and then show a PTCM after the update saying
"oops, we goofed.. There IS a real fix for this, and now it's installed.. go fix your manual SPs"?

(even better, automagically fix the manual SPs..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #27
timckelley
TCFer

But after the discussion about HDs over 137G, I'm wondering if it's smart to just automatically fix everyone, if it's going to cut off access beyond 137G. Maybe the signup is a good idea.

Hey, I have a new queston. If we have to worry about HDs over 137G, what about my series 2? It has a 250G drive in it (that I just installed last year as an upgrade). I assume it got the DST patch automatically. Is it still going to access its full 250G that it's got?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #28
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
So since my largest drive in the S1 is only 80G, I'm thinking I have nothing worry about, right?
Yep, you should be fine.

Quote:
Hey, I have a new queston. If we have to worry about HDs over 137G, what about my series 2? It has a 250G drive in it (that I just installed last year as an upgrade). I assume it got the DST patch automatically. Is it still going to access its full 250G that it's got?
The latest S2 software has a LBA-48 kernel, so you should be all set there too.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:47 PM   #29
timckelley
TCFer

Good deal.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #30
Rottluver

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomutt
I know mine is a DTV S1, but I have dual 120 GB hard drives (that I installed) and it took the download/updated software without any trouble at all.

Hope this helps.
Rottluver is offline   Reply With Quote