TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
BTUx9
back?

TivoWebPlus 2.0 support/discussion

For any who aren't aware, there's been a new version of TWP released... it's not a final release quite yet, but most of the fundamental changes have been made.

More info on this release can be found here and on the associated support thread at DDB.

The latest bundle can be downloaded here
BTUx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
lew

This version, at least for the DTivo units, works significantly better than earlier versions. Much faster, much more stable. Remote access through the internet works great, just a little bit of work to set it up.

Thanks for the hard work done by all involved, particularly the previous poster.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
utnorris

Location: Little Elm, TX ---- Optoma HD70, 106" DIY screen, DTV HR10250, PIO VSX54TX, Monster Power HTS5000, Polk Speakers and Velodyne Sub, Xbox 360 w/HD Addon
How do you install it?

How do you install the new TW program? I used the Zipper disk to load the TW on my drive earlier today. Do I need to rerun the Zipper or is there an easier way to unistall the old TW and install the new TW?
utnorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
BTUx9
back?

Did you check the more info link? There's an Installation section that describes the issues.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
mphare

Yes, thank you very much. I've gone from 1.2.1 to 1.3.1 to 2.0.0 and this version has not caused a reboot once.

I always dreaded doing anything in 1.2 or 1.3 because it would cause a reboot almost every time I tried to use it.

If you have a DTiVo and use TWP, you really should get 2.0 installed.

- Mike

- 3 x DSR704s (250 GB, 250 GB, 160 GB) superpatched, tytools, mfs_ftp, twp2, bufferhack
- 1 x R15 (not active)
mphare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by utnorris
How do you install the new TW program? I used the Zipper disk to load the TW on my drive earlier today. Do I need to rerun the Zipper or is there an easier way to unistall the old TW and install the new TW?
If it was the latest version of zipper the all you have to do is download the latest version of TWP onto your PC, leave it in its compressed state, and then from TWP1.3.1 (whatever the version that zipper installs) there is an update module for updating TWP. Click on update, select the file you downloaded on your PC, and click OK. the update should then be transfered to your tivo and installed. Then you have to either do a full restart of TWP or just reboot your tivo.

There was a problem with older versions of zipper where zipper installed TWP in /tivowebplus and the update module would not work, but that was fixed a while back. If you are not sure just try the update module if it works great if not you will get an error it will not install. If that happens simply rerun tweak.sh and you will automatically download the latest enhancements, uninstall the old enhancements, and reinstall the latest enhancements and the problem is fixed.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWThiers
If it was the latest version of zipper the all you have to do is download the latest version of TWP onto your PC, leave it in its compressed state, and then from TWP1.3.1 (whatever the version that zipper installs) there is an update module for updating TWP. Click on update, select the file you downloaded on your PC, and click OK. the update should then be transfered to your tivo and installed. Then you have to either do a full restart of TWP or just reboot your tivo.
Actually, it is suggested to NOT install a newer version over an older one but to delete the old one first, then install the new one.
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan
Actually, it is suggested to NOT install a newer version over an older one but to delete the old one first, then install the new one.
It also says:

"The update feature will only work if TWP2 is in the "TivoWebPlus" dir (not "tivowebplus" or any other variant)"

That s how I did it a while back and it work perfect, first time on 3 dsr708's.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #9
BTUx9
back?

the update module is an exception to the "don't install over existing", however TWP2 still has the issue of needing r/w access to config and backups (see wiki)

I believe zipper uses symlinks for those, so it MAY work without having to do anything else

BTW, in JWThiers' post, full restart = "quit & restart" not "full reload"... hmm... which may not exist in 1.3x

better to quit TWP and reload it from telnet or, as he said, reboot the tivo

Last edited by BTUx9 : 03-07-2007 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo... it's the update module, not upgrade
Old 03-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTUx9
the upgrade module is an exception to the "don't install over existing", ...
Ahh, thanks for straightening this out.
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
ocntscha

Quote:
Did you check the more info link? There's an Installation section that describes the issues.
Hi there Mr. Btux,

I just went and looked at that installation section. Reason being, even as I've been testing out several of these beta releases I've always been kind of confused as to how its supposed to be installed. It seemed to me, and the web page I just looked at confirms, you're not intended to configure it before running it. When you just extract it fresh the config directory doesn't even exist yet. You have to run it, let it create the config folder with default tivoweb.cfg file, then shut it back down and then edit the config file. No offense but that seems a bit bass ackwards if you ask me (and I know you didn't ask me so if you want to tell me to take a flyin' leap that's fine), or maybe I'm just missing something or, I don't know, just seems odd. What I've taken to doing the last couple gorounds is extract it, manually make the config directory myself, manually copy my old config in, and then start it for the first time.
ocntscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #12
BTUx9
back?

it is a bit counter-intuitive, but there's a method to the madness...
in developing TWP2 we've released literally dozens of bundles
over that course, we also introduced a number of config settings

by doing things the way we do, the default config files just get overwritten, and they get sourced BEFORE the user-editted files... this means that the new settings will be defaulted without worrying about trying to rewrite an editted config file (something that is very difficult to do so it works in all cases)
Old 03-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #13
jporter12
TiVo changed my life

Ok, I fixed this once, but I can't remember how! I normally run with / in rw, therefore no issue with TWP. However, after I installed Hackman 5, it seems to be setting / to ro. This is only an issue when I restart TWP, not on a TiVo reboot. Any ideas? It works fine on one TiVo, but the other, I have this issue! Would I be better off posting this in the Hackman thread?

Oh, and BTW, thanks for this AWESOME piece of work for TiVo's everywhere!
SIR 4040,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 300 GB drive Linksys USB200M Ver.2
jporter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #14
BTUx9
back?

thanx
yeah... that's really a hackman question so should be asked in that thread
Old 03-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #15
ocntscha

Quote:
it is a bit counter-intuitive, but there's a method to the madness...
in developing TWP2 we've released literally dozens of bundles
over that course, we also introduced a number of config setting
Ok, I think I finally see the master plan now, the idea is that you can keep untarring each consecutive new version right over top of the old one, make sense.
ocntscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #16
rbautch
User

What's the status of the backup module for 6.3x?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:39 AM   #17
JWThiers
Smartypants

I am installing HAckman in TWP2 and was coming across an issue that I believe is related to what I found on the TWP2 wiki here

Quote:
TWP2 uses more dynamic content... it needs to be able to write to subdirs ./config and ./backups. If you are running from root, and not /var (or another r/w partition), you need to use one of the following:

* Set the env variable TWP_DATA_DIR... the subdirs config and backups will be automatically created there (again, this must be done before TWP is run)
* Run with root read/write. This isn't recommended for a number of reasons, but if you decide to, root must be remounted r/w before TWP is run
* Create symlinks for ./config and ./backups.
I want to be sure I fully understand, I'm at work right now, otherwise I would just keep trying various ideas get frustrated then ask questions. I figure since I can ask first for a change...

I agree I don't like the idea of running root r/w so that leaves options I and 3.

For option 1 :
I assume that setting the "env variable TWP_DATA_DIR" is done in the TWP config file (I assume there is one)?
Does a line already exist for this or do you have to make a new one?
If so what is the syntax?
Where should you make it?
Does that directory have to exist already?

For option 3:
I always get confussed with symlinks. I would create new directories for ./config and ./backups and then in the TivoWebPlus directory
Code:
ln -sf config [new directory for config]
and
Code:
ln -sf backups [new directory for backups]
???
Old 03-09-2007, 07:50 AM   #18
BTUx9
back?

Quote:
I am installing HAckman in TWP2 and was coming across an issue that I believe is related to what I found on the TWP2 wiki here

I want to be sure I fully understand, I'm at work right now, otherwise I would just keep trying various ideas get frustrated then ask questions. I figure since I can ask first for a change...

I agree I don't like the idea of running root r/w so that leaves options I and 3.

For option 1 :
I assume that setting the "env variable TWP_DATA_DIR" is done in the TWP config file (I assume there is one)?
Does a line already exist for this or do you have to make a new one?
If so what is the syntax?
Where should you make it?
Does that directory have to exist already?
no, it gets set someplace like author (or if you use a script to start twp, in it)
the line would be something like: "export TWP_DATA_DIR=/var/TWP"
yes, the directories get automatically created
Quote:
For option 3:
I always get confussed with symlinks. I would create new directories for ./config and ./backups and then in the TivoWebPlus directory
Code:
ln -sf config [new directory for config]
and
Code:
ln -sf backups [new directory for backups]
???
not quite... after creating the dirs in var and removing them in twp, you'd type something like: "ln -s /var/TWP/config config"
Old 03-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #19
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
no, it gets set someplace like author (or if you use a script to start twp, in it)
the line would be something like: "export TWP_DATA_DIR=/var/TWP"
yes, the directories get automatically created

not quite... after creating the dirs in var and removing them in twp, you'd type something like: "ln -s /var/TWP/config config"
Got it, thanks!

Makes sense seeing that way. I was on the right trail at least. I am finally begining to understand some of this. It is amazing how much, you can remember (or worse, forget) from basic programing classes from years ago. I always did have problems doing symlinks. I understand the concept, but implementing always killed me.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #20
BTUx9
back?

I'm working on a patch to tivoweb that would default TWP_DATA_DIR to /var/TWP if the config dir isn't writable... I should be posting the changed file here VERY soon, for those who want to give it a shot
Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #21
JWThiers
Smartypants

I'll save one of mine to give it a try.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #22
BTUx9
back?

Quote:
I'll save one of mine to give it a try.
you won't have to wait long
I put the code into CVS... here's the link:
http://tivowebplus.cvs.sourceforge.n...voweb?view=log

If a readonly installation is detected with no symlinks, it defaults TWP_DATA_DIR to /var/TWP
Old 03-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #23
disco
Father of Sam.

Well, I've got BTU's patch on my TiVo, and I'm now running TWP 2.0....the TiVo shows the correct time and the correct guide times, but TWP is not...it's showing TiVo time as 1 hour behind...and the guide data on TWP reflects this.

How can I resolve this??
Old 03-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #24
zarsky99

Local Channels

I upgraded the stock TWP that comes with Zipper (1.3.1) to 2.0.0 via the TWP web upload interface. Everything went smoothly except I can no longer see my local channels within TWP. I tried looking in numerous places "Channel List", "Channel Grid", etc.....it seems like TWP just will not recognize my sub-100 channels.

Any ideas?
Old 03-11-2007, 12:11 PM   #25
zarsky99

One other thing

I created symlinks to the /enhancements/varhack/ directory and transfered over the directories from /TivoWebPlus directory. Only problem is that it seems I still need to be in "rw" mode in order save backups...so I do not think this is working correctly.

I saw earlier in the thread talk of putting it in /var.....but if I put it in there, won't it get deleted every reboot?
Old 03-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #26
BTUx9
back?

re: DST... I don't believe any versions of tivoweb/TWP correctly handle the changed DST... I'm working on rewriting the code... if you REALLY want the correct display right now, there's a post in the TWP2 thread on DDB for a patch... no idea how well it works

re: backup... the 2 directories that need to be r/w are config and backup... if you symlink only config, then backup is still not writable.

re: locals, I don't know what's causing that... it's my code, so I'll get in touch with you when I can (but I'm in the middle of 5 different things, so it may be a little while... sorry)
Old 03-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #27
zarsky99

BTU,

No rush....and just to be clear I created symlinks for both "backups" and "config" to the /enhancements/varhack folder. I thought I read that is where things should go that need to be writeable, as opposed to using the /var folder. My understanding was that /enhancements/varhack provided the same functionality as /var without worrying about a reboot wiping the files.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #28
BTUx9
back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarsky99
BTU,

No rush....and just to be clear I created symlinks for both "backups" and "config" to the /enhancements/varhack folder. I thought I read that is where things should go that need to be writeable, as opposed to using the /var folder. My understanding was that /enhancements/varhack provided the same functionality as /var without worrying about a reboot wiping the files.
no, I doubt it... there are only 2 partitions involved in most running tivos, and unless you're running root r/w, the only place you can write to is var (which can get zapped)
Old 03-11-2007, 08:01 PM   #29
zarsky99

BTU,

Thanks for the clarification. I will symlink to /var then. And just hold a backup copy in /varhack for whenever tivo decides to wipe /var.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #30
JWThiers
Smartypants

Can you symlink to a symlink? As I have said before I am terrible when it comes to getting the syntax of symlinks correct, but The Idea I was having is this, instead of symlinking directly back to /var, symlink to the /enhancements/varhack which symlinks to /var. then run var-symlinks.sh. that way if /var gets wiped, it will get recreated.

I have no idea if this would work or not or even what the syntax is.