TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
jigsawhc
Slowly Taking Over

Live TV/Guide Button not working

I have a TiVo Series 2 (Humax DRT800) and when I hit the Live TV/Guide button it brings me to live TV, but when I hit it again the Guide does not pull up. It was working yesterday, but today it when I hit it I head the TiVo make the button press sound but the Guide never comes up. Anyone have any ideas? All the other buttons seems to be working fine.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
jmbeach34

Same here

I have the exact same model and mine stopped working about a week ago. Every other button is working fine. Makes the "ding" when I hit the Live TV button but nothing ever comes up. Have tried restarting and resetting the recorder - neither fixed problem.
jmbeach34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
jigsawhc
Slowly Taking Over

Yep. I tried restarting and no luck.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
jigsawhc
Slowly Taking Over

If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate your input.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:11 PM   #5
rdemuth

Same problem with a Toshiba with DVD recorder. Had the problem several times over the past year. Hard power cycled it. Still didn't work. Played with various buttons. Finally go it to work, but am unfortunately not clear exactly what the sequence I used to get it to work. Extremely annoying.
rdemuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

With a TiVo remote that does not have separate Live and Guide buttons, try pressing TiVo button then Live button. After that, Live should bring up the Guide.

Hopefully that will fix the problem, however, I'm not sure why this is happening on a single tuner TiVo. Maybe the problem is related to DVD combo TiVos. A similar problem happens with dual tuner TiVos like the newer models, Series3, S2DT, and DirecTiVos, which come with a remote with separate Live and Guide buttons. On these models, Live does not bring up the Guide but rather swaps the tuner being viewed. But using an older TiVo remote without separate Live and Guide buttons on these models can cause Live to bring up the guide, the opposite of what you are experiencing and the fix is the same. This was designed into the TiVo software to make the newer dual tuner models compatible with older remotes.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
waxwing1

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for this post. This issue has been driving me nuts. Your suggestion worked like a charm. Any idea of how it happened in the first place (so I can avoid doing it again?).

- John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waxwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
bedelman
Call me Bob

When the TiVo sees the pulse from the TiVo button, it uses that information to determine whether its a remote with a separate Guide button or not (the TiVo button signal is slightly different). If you have another TiVo remote with a separate Guide button or some universal remotes that have the TiVo button signal set incorrectly, this can happen.

- Bob

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
rucka

the hold the Tivo Button and the Live TV button solved it for me. Thanks!
rucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucka View Post
the hold the Tivo Button and the Live TV button solved it for me. Thanks!
You don't need to hold it. Just push it once after the DVR has updated it's software so it can memorize what kind of remote you have. You need to press the TiVo button at least once after every software update since it looses the remote type when it updates to a new version. Once you have pressed it, it will know the remote and respond correctly from then on, so there is no need to hold the TiVo button down.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
hershey4

fwiw, I just noticed this happening after using wii, i.e. switching video inputs. Not sure if that is the definite cause for when it happens, but it might be. It has been happening intermittently to me for years. It eventually clears up but I never knew how. Maybe I was doing the "fix sequence" described above without realizing it.

Great forum to find this info.
hershey4 is offline   Reply With Quote