Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #31
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdellgp View Post
I'm on Knology in Huntsville with a TiVo HD and M-card, and I just pay for one Digital Preferred, one HDTV Service, and one Digital Cable Card.
And out of curiosity, might I ask what the charge is for the single M-card?

I don't actually pay double for the HDTV and other stuff, it's just present twice and then credited since they claimed their system requires it. But it would be convenient if having a single M-card could make that disappear and thus leave a cleaner statement each month. If the single card is at all cheaper than the $3.90 I currently pay for two separate cards, then there would be an added bonus if I were to ask about switching.
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #32
burdellgp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewjackson View Post
And out of curiosity, might I ask what the charge is for the single M-card?
The "Digital Cable Card" charge on my bill is $1.95. I believe Knology charges the same for any CC, whether single- or multi-stream.
burdellgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #33
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdellgp View Post
The "Digital Cable Card" charge on my bill is $1.95. I believe Knology charges the same for any CC, whether single- or multi-stream.
Either they charge differently between Huntsville and Montgomery, or they don't in fact charge the same price, assuming you have the M-card versus my pair of single streams. As I said above, I pay $3.90 for my pair. So maybe, unless they'd try and stick me with a truck roll fee or some such thing, I could save a whole $1.95 per month by getting them to switch me over.
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #34
burdellgp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewjackson View Post
Either they charge differently between Huntsville and Montgomery, or they don't in fact charge the same price, assuming you have the M-card versus my pair of single streams. As I said above, I pay $3.90 for my pair.
You pay a total of $3.90 for two cards, right? As in, $1.95 (that I pay for one) times two?

Anyway, the big difference is in the HD fee that Knology wants to charge per card. If you are getting that waived/credited/whatever, it probably isn't worth paying for a visit (which is what, $50 or something).
Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #35
Just a J0e

Knology HSV update

Just as an FYI -

I just talked with a Knology sales person in Huntsville who said the price for the HD service was still $10 a month and $1.95/month for each card.
She said she was aware of the M series card but she didn't make me confident that she actually knew more about the HDTiVo/Knology situation then you'd know from just reading this thread. She also kept pushing THEIR HDdvr box over the TiVo.
meh

I think I'll just stick to my Series 2 and standard definition for a while longer and see if the market and economy won't get the cable companies in a more competitive mood.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #36
burdellgp

In Huntsville, when the Knology installer showed up and saw I had a TiVo, he made sure that he had an M-card, because he knew that was what I needed. I have a couple of friends that also have Knology and TiVo HD here, and they didn't have any trouble getting an M-card either.

Before I signed up, when I talked to somebody in the Knology office (in person), he didn't know what they charged for CableCards at all (and didn't seem all that interested in looking it up). Basically, take the sales talk with a huge grain of salt (they don't really seem to know what they are selling).

However, I'm not all that happy with Knology either. The HD selection is small compared to everybody else, the compression on some is high (especially Universal HD which is sometimes just about unwatchable), and the price just went up nearly $6/month without advance notice.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #37
Just a J0e

I'm now seeing ads stating that Comcast offers free HD with their package deal and I just got a flyer that said Mediaclowns (Mediacom - but the other name is more appropriate) is offering free HD as well.
If this is true, Knology will surely have to follow suit.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #38
whitmans77

just picked up a tivo xl. any ideas on what tivo will charge for a second set of cable cards?
whitmans77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #39
burdellgp

I assume you mean Knology; they charge another CableCard fee ($1.95 here) and another HD service fee ($9.95 here) for each card.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #40
whitmans77

yeah i meant knology...i have called and gotten 2 different stories...as i expected.
1st rep told me 11.95 per card for 2 more then 2nd rep told me 2.95 per card.

so youre saying that for cards 3 and 4 they charge you another hd service fee then 1.95 for the 4th card?

guess i will stop by the office and see what happens
Old 03-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #41
burdellgp

I don't know where you are, but I'm in Huntsville, AL. Here, Knology charges $1.95 for each (and every) CableCard. I've got an M-card in my TiVo HD, so I only have one card (IIRC Knology doesn't yet support M-cards everywhere though).

Knology charges the $9.95 HD service fee for every device capable of decoding it. CableCards, rented boxes, etc. each have to have the $9.95 fee. Some have reported that in areas that don't have M-cards (so a single TiVo has to have two single-stream cards), Knology has wanted to charge them $9.95 per card (so a single TiVo HD would cost 2x$1.95 + 2x$9.95!). Some have been able to get Knology to credit them the additional $9.95 charge.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #42
whitmans77

after a visit to my local office (augusta) i was quoted a price of an extra 45 dollars for 2 more cable cards...they still have no idea.
i then called the customer service reps and they pulled up my account and told me it would be 1.95 per card extra. i explained to the csr that i already had 2 in a tivo and he said that he saw that. i asked if he was sure and he said "yeah i think so" he then offered to call me back....
got to love knology---too bad they have exclusive rights to my neighborhood
Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #43
talexander7

Digital Terminal Adapters (DTAs) or Tuning Adapter

I have digital service from Knology in Huntsville, Al. I have a TiVo Premier Box with a CableCARD. I asked two different people at the Huntsville office if they knew anything about this DTA or Tuning Adapter and got nothing but "deer in the headlight" look. Does anyone use these or know anything about using them with Knology digital service?
talexander7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #44
mattack

DTA is irrelevant for you.. DTA is essentially a "mini cable box" for use with TVs after they moved (essentially) everything to digital.

Tuning adapter is only relevant if your cable company uses SDV. (switched digital video)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote