TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
ahaley42

Time Warner and Cable Cards

Anyone else have any stories? Austin, Tx area.

I called this AM after ordering my S3 and was told it would be 2-3 weeks before they could schedule a visit and that there was NO self install option. Also that it would cost me $30. Also got the idea that they hadn't heard much about the S3 or cable cards in general and told me that they didn't get much info about them because they couldn't use them to push their other services. If their services were worth keeping I wouldn't be getting cable cards. :-)

This reminds me of when cable modems first came out 10 years ago with TW and there was no self install option, and then there was a class you had to take to self install, and then when they got popular they couldn't keep up they let you do it if you thought you could. It's so silly, it saves them money to NOT send a tech out and I save $30.

Me=
TW=
ahaley42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
skweaz

Called at noon today, earliest scheduled time available was Sept 22/ afternoon. I told the rep I needed two CableCards and she said no problem, didn't even ask what they were for.
Also, yes, absolutely no pickups.
skweaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
msantti

Well, I am here in Houston and they said you can go down to a TWC office and pick them up yourself.

I am serious.

Just ordered a Series 3 this afternoon. Hope to have it here Friday. I hope.
msantti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
skweaz

That's good to know, I think I'll stop by the office and see if I can grab them, the worst they can say is no. Maybe I'll get an easy cs rep.
skweaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
msantti

Quote:
Originally Posted by skweaz
That's good to know, I think I'll stop by the office and see if I can grab them, the worst they can say is no. Maybe I'll get an easy cs rep.
I was told they get activated there.

I just signed up for digital cable not to long ago and it took close to 3 weeks to get a tech out. Ridiculous. They seem to be short people.

Of course, Comcast is about to take over in Houston while TWC is taking over Comcast operations in Dallas.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
bferrell
Now in HD!

TW cincinnati must roll to do the install, but other than the obligatory "you want 2? What for?", the set me up for Saturday afternoon. Hopefully I'll get my box by then, I ordered 2 day delivery hoping it would ship today/tomorrow. We'll see. FYI, they wanted to send someone tomorrow, so I guess their bored here.

Brett
bferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
stubarrett

I'm confused

Why does TW need to know about your S3? They sure don't know about my S2 box. I already have a HD DVR that I lease from them for $10/mo. I figure that I can get 2 CableCards from them (lease?) and return my HD DVR, and they have no idea what I'm up to.

What am I missing?
stubarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
Spiff
Pawn in game of life

I ordered 2 this morning, set to be installed Tuesday, Sept. 19. I pray it's arrived by then!
Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
ahaley42

I talked to a supervisor and she was very helpful. Told me she thought it was silly that they had to come out so she would waive the $30 and that she could squeeze me in on Saturday. Sweet. Now I have to get my S3 before Saturday. Ordered on online in case I couldn't find one locally. When I called to check shipping she said none of them were shipping before Thursday and so my overnight won't even be here till Friday. I would rather get it at Best Buy.
ahaley42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

my tivo is coming friday. if you are in tx, order ground since it ships from Ft Worth. don't waste your money.

i called TW and they said earliest is sept 28....i'm moving in 1 month and wanted a month with tivo, but i guess not now since it won't be worth it paying 30 dollars for 2 weeks of use.

i called dallas TW. they said certain areas have multi stream cards.
ingenue007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:13 PM   #11
dlcrow

For TW Austin, note that it is $30 per card.
dlcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:18 PM   #12
rodalpho

Has anyone done this in time warner new york city? What did they charge? Do they have multistream cards?

Should we make this the official time warner cablecard thread?
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:18 PM   #13
derekcbart

I ordered my S3 a few hours ago and called TWC to come install cable on Tuesday the 19th. I currently have Satellite so there is a deal for free install and they'll take the Dish hardware away. And I ordered the "everything" pack and it costs almost $35 less per month than my SD only Dish subscription.
derekcbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:08 PM   #14
Spastic

I'm also in Austin, and I got an appointment for next Wednesday. I told the rep it was for a Tivo and I needed two cards, but I have a feeling the installer will show up with one. Dlcrow, are you sure it's $30 per card? If so, I will be calling them again to complain about what a ridiculous ripoff it is. Also, does anyone know what the monthly fee for the cards is? I couldn't find anything on the website, and I forgot to ask the phone rep.
Spastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:06 AM   #15
twilbur

I'm also in Austin, TX, and called TWC to prepare for the upcoming arrival of a Series3.

I was told that there's no self-install/pick-up option for the CableCard(s), and there's a ~1.5 week wait for an installation appointment for a tech.

I was quoted ~$30 for the install, and I specifically asked if that was per card, or per visit, and the answer was per visit.

I only spoke to the first level call center rep, I did not speak to a supervisor.

Another data point...

-- Tom
twilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:12 AM   #16
eisenb11

TWC, Redondo Beach, CA over here.

I called this morning and ordered 2 cards. They could come sooner, but I scheduled Fri Sept 22 as I have the day off so no PTO drain for me (I'm also not expecting my S3 to arrive until Mon/Tues).

They need to do a rollout, but there is no service charge.

Price is $1.75/mo/card and I can ditch the $15/mo I'm putting towards the TWC DVR service and DVR STB rental.
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #17
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodalpho
Has anyone done this in time warner new york city? What did they charge? Do they have multistream cards?
TWC NYC is coming to install 2 cable cards (no-multistream) next week Tuesday (they could have come Monday but I was booked for meetings at work). Can't go to the service center to pick up the cards -- they need to roll a truck.
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #18
DrakeBliss

I am in Cape Coral FL

We are being taken over by Comcast in the next 6-9 months, currently with Time Warner Cable.

I saw the S3 HD and really wanted one! I called TWC and they were adamant about not installing cards in the TIVO. They also told me I could NOT have two cards, only 1 card and ONLY for my TV. Insttallation would be $19,95 and the fee is $1.75 per month for the card. They would not have anything to do with the TIVO and CableCards.

I was also told that if I was to order the CableCard for my TV, I would have to give up my cable settop box, they would allow me to have both. I was told getting the 1 cablecard for my TV would increase the cost on my current cable fees as well as my RoadRunner internet fees. The rep told me CableCards are unbundled products and as such I would pay more for cable fee, internet fees and my premium channels would cost more! I currently have a bundle of services from TWC, Digital Cable, HBO, STARZ and RoadRunner.

All this has scared me into not getting a Series 3 for the time being. Anyone else getting this horror story from their cable provider?

I will wait (6-9 months) till we are on Comcast services and check again, I suppose.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #19
derekcbart

It is my understanding that this is illegal. Somewhere on this message board there is a thread about TWC refusing CableCARDs for TiVos and TWC ultimately recognized that they were in violation of the statute. If you find that thread and quote it back to the TWC reps then they should give you what you want.
derekcbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #20
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaley42
It's so silly, it saves them money to NOT send a tech out and I save $30.
If you're paying for the truck roll, it doesn't save them any money to not send a truck, it only saves you money. They have to pay their technician regardless, so why have him/her actually work for their paycheck + have the customer foot the bill?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:43 PM   #21
Franco
2 x Series3!

They won't give me cablecards!

I'm in the Dallas area and called the Time Warner office to get 2 cablecards. I explained to them that the cards were going into a new TiVo. I explained to them that this is a new device that has dual tuners and in order to use it properly I need 2 cablecards. I explained to them that it's not a TV that the cards are going into. I explained to them that Time Warner's cable cards ARE compatible with TiVo Series3 and I even pointed them to the website to look at the specs. I even mentioned that their supervisors (or someone's supervisor) should have received a preliminary notice from TiVo about their upcoming Series3 device and that the devices would take cablecards.

Guess what happened? They wouldn't give me the cablecards. NOTHING I said would make them give me the cablecards. They told me that their cablecards are only compatible with TVs. My only options were to try to escalate the call (someone will call me in 24-48 hours), and that I can go to their local office and try to explain the situation. I'm doing both; I'm waiting for a call back from someone at Time Warner Cable, AND I'm going to try to get to the office today and complain.

"Frustrated" doesn't even begin to describe my mood right now. Any ideas on what else I can do to make this happen?
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #22
joey398

Too bad you cant ditch them and get the FIOS service from Verizon, cause it sure would be fun to tell them to bite you.
joey398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #23
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeBliss
I am in Cape Coral FL

We are being taken over by Comcast in the next 6-9 months, currently with Time Warner Cable.

I saw the S3 HD and really wanted one! I called TWC and they were adamant about not installing cards in the TIVO. They also told me I could NOT have two cards, only 1 card and ONLY for my TV. Insttallation would be $19,95 and the fee is $1.75 per month for the card. They would not have anything to do with the TIVO and CableCards.
They are REQUIRED by the FCC to provide you with CableCards for use in a CableLabs approved device. The Series 3 has been approved by CableLabs.

Call them back - if they still give you a hard time, get Tivo to help.

But I suspect that if you tell them you have two TVs, they will schedule the installer for you. When he gets there, just show him the install sheet that Tivo has in the Series 3 box.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #24
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco
"Frustrated" doesn't even begin to describe my mood right now. Any ideas on what else I can do to make this happen?

Call them back and quote TivoJerry:

"All major cable companies (MSOs) are required by the FCC's 'Plug-and-Play' order to provide CableCARDs to any customer using any UDCR (Uni-Directional Cable Receiver) device on CableLabs list of certified, verified or self- verified cable products. The TiVo Series3 HD DVR product is on this list."

Show them the list:

http://www.cablelabs.com/udcp/downloads/OC_PNP.pdf

Tell them you will file a complaint with the FCC and your local franchising authority.

Have Tivo step in on your behalf - there is a form you can fill out on the Tivo site to report problems with getting cablecards:

http://www.tivo.com/series3hdDvr_cc.asp
Old 09-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #25
eisenb11

Hmm, I just told my TWC guys to come over and bring 2 cards and to not charge me an additional outlet charge because my "tv" has slots for 2 cablecards.

Sometimes you have to just simplify things for them because those folks have limited brain power.

On the side, though, I was lucky in that they didn't ask about my TVs make and model before-hand so they'll find out when they get here.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #26
theone

Called twc support in houston and they said the cards are 1.75 each and that I could pick one up at my local service center. They also said I didnt not have to subscribe to a digital cable package to get the cable card. I only want the card to handle channel mapping for my existing hd channels. Local HD channels are included in the basic cable package and as long as your tv/device has a qam tuner you are good to go.

I went to the local service center and they said I had to pay and additional 45mo for a digital cable package before they would give me a cable card.
theone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:35 PM   #27
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11
On the side, though, I was lucky in that they didn't ask about my TVs make and model before-hand so they'll find out when they get here.
Just tell them that CableCards are I/O cards for your TV, hence the TiVo name on your "TV box"
Old 09-13-2006, 02:21 PM   #28
SQChevy

I'm from Dallas and called TWC and they have me set up for Monday to have someone come install my CableCards. I even explained that it was for TiVo. Though, now that I think about it, maybe I can get a third and put one in my tv too. Hmmmmmm. Oh well, Joey you said something about too bad you can't get Verizon FiOS. What do you mean by that? They are offering service in Dallas. In fact, my apartment complex gets it in the next month or two. Looking forward to that one.
SQChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:22 PM   #29
eisenb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Just tell them that CableCards are I/O cards for your TV, hence the TiVo name on your "TV box"
LOL nice! TiVo = TV i/o
Old 09-13-2006, 03:29 PM   #30
msantti

Confirmed.

I called TWC Houston yesterday about the CableCards. They said I could pick them up at a service center.

So this morning, a bit skeptical, I drove to the store on Mason Raod out in Katy.

Voila!!!

THey gave me 2 cards and instructions with the number to call to activate once the cards are installed.

Now I just need to get my Series 3 here.