TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #1711
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaelsma View Post
I've downloaded everything but it's still not showing up in my Now Playing list. The only thing I changed is the location of my files. Instead of being in the default folder "C:\Videos", I pointed the location to my E drive. Did I miss something?
Open up the ports on the firewall? 9032TCP/9033TCP
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #1712
ciscokidinsf

Hey guys! Me again. Remember my nagging suspicion that 'interrupted' TDN programs get stuck in the Tivo? I think its true. Another piece of 'flimsy' evidence: I was doing a 'delete everything' on one of my tivos, and despite only having maybe 30-40 hrs of shows (on an 80hr Tivo) it took over 2 1/2 hours to delete everything. (it should've been 1 hr, tops) This was the Tivo I was using to test the earlier versions of TDN, when an 'interrupted' transmission would disappear completely from the Now Playing. So maybe for those of us who tested TDN earlier might want to do a complete clean-up to get back some space.
ciscokidinsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #1713
Grimm1

I could be wrong here....but I thought that process takes the same amount of time no matter how many shows have been recorded.

Also in the process you are not formatting the drive...the process is deleting specific data that your TiVo is aware of which contradicts the idea that this is somehow data your TiVo is not aware of.

The true test would have been to load up your TiVo with recordings all at a set video quality and see how many hours you actually got.
Grimm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #1714
code816

What is the maximum file size for any transfer

I just installed Tivo.Net 0.9.8 and so far things look good. I tried transferring couple of sample .avi files of capacity 50mb and they were just fine. I am now trying to transfer a 1.5 GB .avi file from my desktop and it just stops when it's 30% done. Am I missing something here?
code816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #1715
Grimm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by code816 View Post
I just installed Tivo.Net 0.9.8 and so far things look good. I tried transferring couple of sample .avi files of capacity 50mb and they were just fine. I am now trying to transfer a 1.5 GB .avi file from my desktop and it just stops when it's 30% done. Am I missing something here?
Are you sure your TiVo is not full? Not sure if this is an issue anymore or not....but seem to remember people having a problem with transferring shows when their tivo was already full.

----------------
Now playing: Guess Who - American Woman
via FoxyTunes
Old 06-19-2008, 11:26 PM   #1716
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I've read of people having problems with TivoDesktop (TTCB) and large files.
Maybe the two programs use similar protocols.

No problems here, however, I'm using pyTivo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #1717
ciscokidinsf

Oh F*ck... New Tivo update coming

Tivo Update 9.4 is on the way. I wonder if this will kill TDN for sure because they seem to be chaging folder functionality. See here:

http://gizmodo.com/5025472/tivo-94-s...xes-this-month

I wish there was a way to OPT-OUT of the updates.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #1718
Conodor

I've had tivodotnet working for a very long time now (running 0.9.8) and a few weeks back it just totally stopped working.

now i get an error after i try to run it that says(it's a microsoft error window)

DotNetTivoBeacon Application Error.

Basically no matter what i do my list never shows up on my tivo for shows to transfer now. anyone else experienceing this problem? i'm removing and re installing tivodotnet now.

(haven't updated to SP3 yet)

ok uninstall and re install... nothing!

Last edited by Conodor : 07-15-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Conodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #1719
Conodor

ok follow up, it was my firewall, must have turned it on or changed something. i seen a post above to open up 2 ports... and that worked!

Open up the ports on the firewall? 9032TCP/9033TCP

to fix dotnettivobeacon application error

thanks greg burns!
Conodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:48 AM   #1720
Bsteenson
TiVo is no BS

Sorry, I've given up entirely on this program and on TiVo-To-Go-Plus, after constant problems with shows not completing, transfer sked freezing up, etc. I also went with pyTivo and I must say it works perfectly. Even allows for subfolders.

BS
Series 2 DT (2); Series 2 (2); Series 1 (2)
Bsteenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #1721
ciscokidinsf

We got lucky!

I don't know if users of TDN have noticed, but actually the last Tivo software update ACTUALLY FIXED the TDN problem with the folders. You no longer get the bug with duplicate contents that had to be solved by going in and out of a selected show.

Still works on mine. As a matter of fact I haven't upgraded my iMac OS because it still works well.

Thankful here for small mercies.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #1722
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
It also fixed the "broken timeline" issue for me with videos I'd send over to my Series 3 via TiVoComeBack. Previously, the time would be listed as seconds instead of hours:minutes:seconds, and FF / RW wouldn't work well. Now, those videos work just like regular recordings.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:16 PM   #1723
kingmob

I hadn't fired up TDN for quite some time, and when I went to do it this evening, the prefpane wouldn't show up in System Preference.

I went to ~/Library/PrefPanes and found that tivopref.prefpane is still there. Double-clicking it has no effect, however; TDN still doesn't show up in System Preferences.

Since TDN seems to be dead, what is the best alternative now for the Mac? Thanks.
kingmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #1724
windracer
joined the 10k club

pyTivo runs on Macs.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #1725
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmob View Post
I hadn't fired up TDN for quite some time, and when I went to do it this evening, the prefpane wouldn't show up in System Preference.

I went to ~/Library/PrefPanes and found that tivopref.prefpane is still there. Double-clicking it has no effect, however; TDN still doesn't show up in System Preferences.

Since TDN seems to be dead, what is the best alternative now for the Mac? Thanks.
That preference pane was actually something my son (A@ron) put together, it is not part of TiVo.NET -- and it's still working for me on several machines I have here (some running Tiger and others running Leopard)

On my installs I don't have it in the user's home directory though. I have it in /Library/PrefPanes (the one on the root of the startup drive)

- Bob

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:20 PM   #1726
rckstrang

Is there anything simple?

I have searched the internet. I have posted a new thread. I asked the question "how do I convert .mkv to .tivo?"

So now I will attempt to post here. I'm not a programing genius. I bought a Mac because I wanted things to be uncomplicated. Simple. Easy.

So far anything I try to do is far from easy. Now from what I have read in this thread, and I haven't read the entire thread but I did many, many searches there is no easy way to convert these files. pyTiVo instructions had my head spinning, and with PC it was simply download python, install pyTivo, tell it where the folders were and you were done.

Then there appears to be another program that was simple but whomever came up with it closed up shop.

Even converting .avi files does not appear to be simple!

OK, I probably made a mistake in purchasing TOAST. I can't use parallel, I don't have enough room on my Windows to load it and I can't load it on Mac because I downloaded Vista and used the wrong friggin email so nobody wants to help me over there. I don't have a windows disk.

And all this other stuff, with .tivo net and then you need this or that and it goes on and on.

So I ask you, kindly, is there anything out there that will make it simple for me to convert or play .mkv files? Heck I'll pay for it just tell me if it exist?

I kind of doubt there is I could not find anything on Google. Oh I found things to convert .tivo files but not to convet to .tivo.

Any help is appreciated.
rckstrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #1727
bedelman
Call me Bob

I continue to use TiVo.NET to handle the playback of both .mkv and .avi files with little to no trouble at all. Along with a bunch of other formats too

I have two installers that I used, one after the other, to install the software -- but I do not have any formal instructions on what to do. I've tried to put something together for you below and I've done my best to verify that this all works without issue -- but I make no guarantees or accept any liability should anything bad take place. If you decide to pursue this, you will be doing so at your own risk (this is a CYA statement)

Install in this order...

Installer for Mono
Installer for TiVo.NET and Preference Pane

The second installer was built with the "demo" version of InstallerMaker which requires that you click on the splash windoid that tells you it was built with the demo version. Also know that this installer is a bit "stupid" in that it assumes that you don't already have TiVo.Net installed -- and it will reset any previously settings you've established for the preference pane (such as the video directory, the file types supported, the Server UUID, etc.). So if you ever do a re-install and you have changed your settings, you will need to enter them again.

Once the second installer is complete, you need to go to the preference pane and put in the path to where you're going to be placing your files (ex. /users/yourusername/MonoShows). If you install this on more than one computer in the same network, you will also need to change the the "Server UUID" value which must be unique. You may also need to add .mkv to the list of supported file extensions in the PrefPane as well.

Note that a lot of the stuff from the second installer goes into a folder named "TiVoMono" at the main directory of your hard drive. This includes the TiVo.NET stuff as well as ffmpeg which is used to handle the on-the-fly conversions

If all is well, you should find your TiVo.Net server listed at the bottom of the Now Playing List (after you use the prefPane to start it up). Any changes to the contents of the video files folder will require you to stop and start TiVo.Net with the prefPane. If the "stop" button doesn't work, you'll need to place pkill into your /usr/bin folder

Link to pkill on my iDisk. Download this file and then use the "Go to folder" choice in the "Go" menu in Finder and go to /usr/bin (this directory is normally not visible) and place the pkill file into there. Do not alter or remove any files in this directory!

- Bob

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!

Last edited by bedelman : 11-22-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #1728
rckstrang

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedelman View Post
I continue to use TiVo.NET to handle the playback of both .mkv and .avi files with little to no trouble at all. Along with a bunch of other formats too

I have two installers that I used, one after the other, to install the software -- but I do not have any formal instructions on what to do. I've tried to put something together for you below and I've done my best to verify that this all works without issue -- but I make no guarantees or accept any liability should anything bad take place. If you decide to pursue this, you will be doing so at your own risk (this is a CYA statement)

Install in this order...

Installer for Mono
Installer for TiVo.NET and Preference Pane

The second installer was built with the "demo" version of InstallerMaker which requires that you click on the splash windoid that tells you it was built with the demo version

Once the second installer is complete, you need to go to the preference pane and put in the path to where you're going to be placing your files (ex. /users/yourusername/MonoShows). If you install this on more than one computer in the same network, you will also need to change the the "Server UUID" value which must be unique. You may also need to add .mkv to the list of supported file extensions in the PrefPane as well.

Note that a lot of the stuff from the second installer goes into a folder named "TiVoMono" at the main directory of your hard drive. This includes the TiVo.NET stuff as well as ffmpeg which is used to handle the on-the-fly conversions

If all is well, you should find your TiVo.Net server listed at the bottom of the Now Playing List (after you use the prefPane to start it up). Any changes to the contents of the video files folder will require you to stop and start TiVo.Net with the prefPane. If the "stop" button doesn't work, you'll need to place pkill into your /usr/bin folder

Link to pkill on my iDisk. Download this file and then use the "Go to folder" choice in the "Go" menu in Finder and go to /usr/bin (this directory is normally not visible) and place the pkill file into there. Do not alter or remove any files in this directory!

- Bob
If this works may I write the Pope and recommend you be considered a saint?

If you're not Catholic, please don't be offended. Thank you so much!

I still am considering another option but I'll try yours first. I am thinking about removing boot camp, purchasing (again) another copy of Vista, and then downloading parallel. I thought from that point I would run pyTiVo on Windows and simply dump my TiVo Desktop for Mac. Then I would direct pyTiVo to to the Toast folder as storage or if I couldn't do that I would move the TiVo files somehow to another computer then restore them in a folder for the pyTiVo.

If plan 1 doesn't work out what about plans 2? Also I may just want to get rid of boot camp, lick my wounds and purchase the parallel and Vista anyway. Would I still be set using your method?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #1729
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstrang View Post
I still am considering another option but I'll try yours first. I am thinking about removing boot camp, purchasing (again) another copy of Vista, and then downloading parallel. I thought from that point I would run pyTiVo on Windows and simply dump my TiVo Desktop for Mac. Then I would direct pyTiVo to to the Toast folder as storage or if I couldn't do that I would move the TiVo files somehow to another computer then restore them in a folder for the pyTiVo.

If plan 1 doesn't work out what about plans 2? Also I may just want to get rid of boot camp, lick my wounds and purchase the parallel and Vista anyway. Would I still be set using your method?
First, if you use Parallels or VMware's Fusion product -- you can use either with a bootcamp partition without needing to purchase another copy of Windows. So you can have both -- bootcamp if you want a dedicated Windows machine or Parallels/Fusion if you want a virtualized machine -- both using the same file area. Unless you have lots of RAM on your Macintosh, you may want to consider running Windows XP instead of Vista.

With TiVo.Net, it's wholly Mac OSX based solution in this case. pyTiVo can also run under Mac OSX, but I think it's a bit more complicated to setup (although I can be completely wrong on this)

Old 11-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #1730
rckstrang

Quote:
First, if you use Parallels or VMware's Fusion product -- you can use either with a bootcamp partition without needing to purchase another copy of Windows. So you can have both -- bootcamp if you want a dedicated Windows machine or Parallels/Fusion if you want a virtualized machine -- both using the same file area. Unless you have lots of RAM on your Macintosh, you may want to consider running Windows XP instead of Vista.

With TiVo.Net, it's wholly Mac OSX based solution in this case. pyTiVo can also run under Mac OSX, but I think it's a bit more complicated to setup (although I can be completely wrong on this)
I would still have to purchase another copy of either XP or Vista because Parallel says you need to install the disk. I tried doing that with Parallel on the Windows side but I only have 5GB of space over there. Not enough to install parallel. If I can't remove the partition then I will install parallel and purchase a copy of Windows. As far as space goes I have a 1tb hard drive.

I purchased the Mac protection plan so I'm hoping they can tell me how to remove boot camp without reformating my hard drive. On the phone with them now.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #1731
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstrang View Post
I would still have to purchase another copy of either XP or Vista because Parallel says you need to install the disk.
Huh? I don't understand. If you've already purchased a copy of XP or Vista and you stop using it on the "machine" (virtual or physical) on to which it's installed - and essentially destroy that machine such that it no longer exists. There's no reason of which I know why you can't just use the exact same disk to install it on to a different machine (virtual or physical). Since you're essentially completely destroying the previous install, there shouldn't be any copyright infringements either.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #1732
rckstrang

Quote:
Huh? I don't understand. If you've already purchased a copy of XP or Vista and you stop using it on the "machine" (virtual or physical) on to which it's installed - and essentially destroy that machine such that it no longer exists. There's no reason of which I know why you can't just use the exact same disk to install it on to a different machine (virtual or physical). Since you're essentially completely destroying the previous install, there shouldn't be any copyright infringements either.
Sigh......(repeated many times)

My original computer had Windows XP and it was OEM. That means the "disk" of Windows XP is actually on the drive itself and if a reinstall was needed it would go there.

I made the mistake of downloading a copy of Vista. When I downloaded it I accidentally made a slight error on the email address. So Windows says, "just put in that email address and change the password to the correct one." Fine except I tried that as soon as I saw the mistake and it did not work.

So I can't get another copy of my download.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #1733
bedelman
Call me Bob

Oh well -- and you've probably tried talking with a CSR over at Microsoft regarding the download to which you can't return.

Well -- let me know if you're able to get TiVo.Net to install and run for you

Old 11-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #1734
ciscokidinsf

Hey, I got the Fall Update + Movies and it finally seems to have broken TivoTDN for me. Is anyone else having this issue? It was working fine a few days ago. Now I can't even get the admin page up. I tired in both Mac and Windows, and when I do manage to get to the admin page, when I start a transfer, it kills the service.

I've been trying to check if it was : a) Recent McAfee antivirus upgrade (I have the firewall disabled), I've checked my ports to make sure they are forwarding. The Mac OSX console shows no errors when I get the PrefPane for TDN, just logs the start of the program. (The browser window can't even open anymore) Any Ideas? It has been rock-solid for me until now.

After a minute, console shows this:

Quote:
Could not connect socket (Can't assign requested address)
ETA: Fiddled with it some more. Windows TDN is working OK with my old S2 Tivo but very slow, so its not the ports. My suspicion is that a recent file I added broke the MetaDB file. The TivoDotNeterrorlog html from the Mac did spit out a fatal error from the Meta DB xml file. I have deleted it and its rebuilding right now. Will report later.

ETA II-I've removed any recent files I added. No Joy. Indeed, it seems that my TivoHD is NO LONGER connecting to TDN. It seems the update has messed up the MetaDB file and it no longer sends the data correctly to the computer. I've been deleting the MetaDB files and re-starting TDN, to no avail. The program starts OK, but once I select a file to be transferred, the TivoHD freezes and re-boots after a couple of minutes. (The UI doesn't even register the transfer request, nor does the error log) and then the connection dies. The regular Tivo seems OK. Will test again with my series 2, but after 2 days, I am giving up TDN with my TivoHD. I wonder if the latest update did 'mess up' the system. A@ron or Bob, have you seen any troubles?

Last edited by ciscokidinsf : 11-30-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #1735
pmanse

I can't install TiVo.Net and I suspect I know the answer.

I run a Windows 2008 domain at home and all of our Windows 7 (x64) accounts use redirected folders pointed at a NAS. After the installer does its thing the Program Files (x86) folder, it then attempts to work in my User folder which is on the NAS and drops a 2869 error.

Is the NAS the culprit or might there be something else?

Thanks in advance...
Peter
pmanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #1736
ajayabb

TDN has been unsupported for at least 2.5 years. You might be better served looking at PyTivo for your needs.
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/PyTivo

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #1737
windracer
joined the 10k club

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past!

I seem to recall issues with TDN and Samba shares, but want to say it was Windows-specific (since I know I was running TDN on Linux and was using remote Samba NAS shares for my video).

But yeah, you're probably better off checking out something that's still being worked on, like pyTivo.

|
Old 05-14-2011, 02:43 AM   #1738
oz11guru

If anyone still monitors this forum (especially Pipakin that would be great)

I am keen to get this going on Windows 7 Ultimate and utilize the 2 Tivo boxes i have networked and bit more.

If there is any updated software out there that works like tivo desktop but with way more functionality in regards to the codecs it handles that would be great.

Thanks in advance

ps i can't email or pm pipakin coz i don't have 5 posts yet.
oz11guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #1739
windracer
joined the 10k club

TiVo.NET has been dead/unsupported for a long time, which can see from the few posts above. Check out pyTivo and/or streambaby.

|
Old 05-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #1740
Grimm1

Man, and I thought I held out for a long time switching from TDN. I think I switched to pyTivo about 2-3 years ago. Configuring pyTivo takes a bit to get used to...but once you have it configured you can pretty much set it and forget it.