TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2007, 02:09 AM   #301
pipakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by }{unter
I do have one complaint. I have several sub-directories in which I store my files but am not able to scroll or page down past the first screen. In addition, I often times am unable see even a full first screen directory - one 3 - 4 subdirectories listed despite many more actually being there.

Well, Thanks again,
}{unter
Yeah, I've got this on the list of bugs already and I know there's something goofy in the listing code for subdirs. I'll squash the bug eventually....

Time to go back to sleep. (Stupid on-call pager...waking me up in the middle of the night....*grumble grumble*unpaid overtime*grumble grumble*)
pipakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:15 AM   #302
xblahx

I'm attempting to use .60 with WinXP (SP2, all updated), with an 80hr S2.

- I can start transfers, but they seem to die. No partial xfer is left behind on the Tivo.
- Interrupted xfers still leave ffmpeg running on my PC, apparently.... I woke
up this morning to my PC having probably 20 instances of ffmpeg running...doing what,
I have no idea. I assume still processing failed and/or cancelled xfers.
The machine was seriously bogged down.
- I have the "one screen of files/folders" problem I've seen mentioned here. I can't
see more than 8 folders on the Tivo. Attempting to navigate down the list only causes
the first 8 folders to reappear as if they're the only folders available.

I've not yet been successful completing a single xfer. But I remain hopeful, and appreciate the effort and speed of development (and all the time and interest in helping people figure it all out, too).

-xb

(the failed-xfers look like a network issue on my end, sorry...but the lack of a partial download, and all the still-running ffmpeg orphans remain)

Last edited by xblahx : 01-28-2007 at 02:17 AM. Reason: additional info
xblahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:45 AM   #303
Tonyeo

Hi just installed version 0.6.0a main page comes up but it will not show any video files, I have put files into the default dir, There is nothing in the error log ?

Tonyeo
Tonyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:14 AM   #304
Aiken
Blah, blah, blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns
Yup, I did, and I just downloaded a diggnation wmv and viewed it on the TiVo via TiVo.Net with no issues, at least in the first ten minutes.

However, keep in mind that I don't agree with the default audio settings. I'm using:

Quote:
Audio Codec
AC3 codec <-- I think this makes a difference

Audio Bit Rate
Medium (192kb/s) <-- all settings seem to work

Audio Sample Rate
Restrict to: 48000 <-- I think this makes a difference

Audio Channels
Restrict to: 2 <--- not sure about this

Audio Sync
Do not use audio sync <-- dunno
I still think AC3 48kHz is the only reliable way to go. I'm not sure the bit rate or the sync matter much, at least in this case.
Aiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:23 AM   #305
pipakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken
Yup, I did, and I just downloaded a diggnation wmv and viewed it on the TiVo via TiVo.Net with no issues, at least in the first ten minutes.

However, keep in mind that I don't agree with the default audio settings. I'm using:

I still think AC3 48kHz is the only reliable way to go. I'm not sure the bit rate or the sync matter much, at least in this case.
yeah, I may change the defaults to this. I'm working on the ">8 folders" issue right now, hopefuly that gets figured out relatively quickly. I'm not sure why ffmpeg would hang like that. I have a line in the program like this:

Code:
if (requestCancelled)
{
    ffmpeg.Kill();
that should keep any hangers-on from...er....hanging on. I'll try harder to cause transfers to fail on my end (nothing like the "foil over the wireless adapter" trick for intentionally hosing the network connection).

EDIT: Ok, folders bug is fixed in code, now to tackle the "some movies not showing up" bug. Anyone got one of those movies that won't show up when others do they'd be willing to send me/show me a link to?

Last edited by pipakin : 01-28-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #306
Namsur

I'm having trouble with the admin page, it won't even load. I tried to restart the service, but got an error saying it failed to stop. THis is version 060a on Windows 2000 SP4, any suggestions?
Namsur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #307
pipakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsur
I'm having trouble with the admin page, it won't even load. I tried to restart the service, but got an error saying it failed to stop. THis is version 060a on Windows 2000 SP4, any suggestions?
Hrm. Win2k might not be able to run the service...I think I'll put a windows mono installer together for people who want to run the mono version on windows (for older OSes like win2k, or just for fun).
Old 01-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #308
Namsur

Anything I can change in the registry, etc.? If Win2k has trouble, I'd recommend adding a warning or taking it out of the support altogether.

BTW, I entered a support ticket on the sourceforge page. It has more info that I couldn't post here due to being under 5 posts.

This seems like a great tool and I really hope I can use it.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:21 AM   #309
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Anything I can change in the registry, etc.? If Win2k has trouble, I'd recommend adding a warning or taking it out of the support altogether.

BTW, I entered a support ticket on the sourceforge page. It has more info that I couldn't post here due to being under 5 posts.

I'm installing on my Win2K Pro box to see what happens. Never had any problems with .NET services on Win2K server...
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:21 AM   #310
pipakin

Quote:

I'll do what I can to get it working on 2k. If nothing else, like I said, we can get the mono version running on 2k.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #311
pipakin

Quote:
I'm installing on my Win2K Pro box to see what happens. Never had any problems with .NET services on Win2K server...
Thanks greg, I don't have a box to spare around here (nor a copy of win2k since msdn isn't offering it anymore).
Old 01-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #312
Namsur

Forgot to mention this is pro, not server.
Thanks!
Old 01-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #313
Tivogre

Anyone made any strides on getting this working as an MRV client vs. TTG?

I'd love to use this on my network of hacked DTivos!
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #314
pipakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre
Anyone made any strides on getting this working as an MRV client vs. TTG?

I'd love to use this on my network of hacked DTivos!
Looked into it a bit, but I don't actually have a hacked tivo

I'm going to attack this a little more once I've got some of the critical bugs I've got right now worked out.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #315
Tonyeo

Ok what am I doing wrong, no matter what I try I just can not get the program to see the video files, also every so often I can not access localhost and I have to uninstall and reinstall to get it to work, getting frustrated, besides that keep up the good work.

Tonyeo

I give up, I can not even see tivodtnet in my now playing list, ports 9033,9032 port forwarded (my laptop ip and tivo ip) I turned off zone alarm still nothing, very frustrating I am running xp as well so that should not be a problem, Tivo desktop works fine, Tivodtnet is showing up in processes, I have read every post twice and still nothing, depression is setting in as I so wanted this.

Tonyeo

I have just realised that if I restart my comp I can no longer get access to localhost untill I uninstall then reinstall then I can get the admin page. I have tried it a number of times with the same results.

Tonyeo

Last edited by Tonyeo : 01-28-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #316
A@ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipakin
EDIT: Ok, folders bug is fixed in code, now to tackle the "some movies not showing up" bug. Anyone got one of those movies that won't show up when others do they'd be willing to send me/show me a link to?
I do and will be able to FTP it to you once I get home around 5 PM EST. I may also be able to set up a FTP server on my end if you don't have one. Let me know via PM how you want to handle it.
A@ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #317
GeeCee

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I'm dumping video files into the video folder. I check the administration page's transfer page and nothing shows up. Nothing shows up on the error log either. Is it not seeing my video files? Or am I not doing something that I need to?

ffmpeg never appears to start.

Edit: Oh, so I initiate the transfer from my Tivo's Now Playing list.. I see.

Last edited by GeeCee : 01-28-2007 at 12:12 PM.
GeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #318
BostonJay

Feedback

I've been playing with Tivo[dot]Net and here is what I found

System: Windows XP SP2
Version: 0.6.0a
Tivo: 80hr S2

- From external USB drive, there is a chance the drive winds down on its own and causes a transfer to fail.

- Clicking on "Error Log" link when no log exists yet caused the Tivo[dot]Net service to die, requires restarting the service.

- Occasionally can't see the video files from the Tivo box side, requiring restarting the Tivo[dot]Net service.

- On a wireless G network (10Mb wired) with very little LAN usage but even the lowest quality setting can't transfer to the Tivo box fast enough to play in real-time. With 10Mbps available most of the time, a 1Mbps stream should move better than real-time.

Suggestions:

- Put version number on the Admin page

- Pre-generate MPEG2 data on pending transfers (if possible, and user's system is fast enough to support generating an MPEG stream for the Tivo while generating another one in the background)

- Try to support Windows 2000 - I use that mostly and XP is for a clean environment

- (Possible?) Support folders on Tivo so that I can organize transfered files into different folders (the way Tivo does for Season Passes)

- (Possible?) Allow multiple video files to be merged before sending or treated as an single stream to the TIvo. I know I can do this ahead of time, but it would save a lot of hassle.

Question to anyone out there, not related to Tivo[dot]Net: Is it possible to protect access to certain folders or recordings? Rename recordings?
BostonJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #319
pipakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJay
I've been playing with Tivo[dot]Net and here is what I found

System: Windows XP SP2
Version: 0.6.0a
Tivo: 80hr S2

- From external USB drive, there is a chance the drive winds down on its own and causes a transfer to fail.
Probably an ffmpeg issue.

Quote:
- Clicking on "Error Log" link when no log exists yet caused the Tivo[dot]Net service to die, requires restarting the service.
I'll fix that.

Quote:
- Occasionally can't see the video files from the Tivo box side, requiring restarting the Tivo[dot]Net service.
Shouldn't require a restart, but I think there are times when the service gets an error and stops listening. I'm trying to weed those out.

Quote:
- On a wireless G network (10Mb wired) with very little LAN usage but even the lowest quality setting can't transfer to the Tivo box fast enough to play in real-time. With 10Mbps available most of the time, a 1Mbps stream should move better than real-time.
Hrm. My machine can do Medium-Low over my noisy 1Mbps wifi.

Quote:
Suggestions:

- Put version number on the Admin page
Look at the top.

Quote:
- Pre-generate MPEG2 data on pending transfers (if possible, and user's system is fast enough to support generating an MPEG stream for the Tivo while generating another one in the background)
Can't do, the tivo doesn't actually ask for the pending transfer until the first one is finished.

Quote:
- Try to support Windows 2000 - I use that mostly and XP is for a clean environment
Working on it.

Quote:
- (Possible?) Support folders on Tivo so that I can organize transfered files into different folders (the way Tivo does for Season Passes)
This is extended show info (series name). Which I'm currently working on.

Quote:
- (Possible?) Allow multiple video files to be merged before sending or treated as an single stream to the TIvo. I know I can do this ahead of time, but it would save a lot of hassle.
Might be possbile, but not with the current setup. I'm looking to add a "File Manager" eventually that would let you do things like this.

Quote:
Question to anyone out there, not related to Tivo[dot]Net: Is it possible to protect access to certain folders or recordings? Rename recordings?
not a clue.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:05 PM   #320
BostonJay

I thought of a few more suggestions:

- On the video list on the Tivo side, would be nice to know which of the vidoes has already been set to transfer and to have a few color states:

* not set to trasfer
* set to transfer, pending
* currently transfering
* transferred

I understand the last state may not be reliable once the video is deleted from the Tivo site so may require synchronization by file checksum of some sort.

- The Tivo will currently stop a tranfer when the Tivi is updating with Tivo promo videos, I'm unsure if this would happen with a user-scheduled recording. A way to avoid this might be better estimation of recording time and to check if it overlaps with an upcoming recording or Tivo-scheduled promos (mine are set to 4AM).

- I don't know if this is possible at all, but it would be really nice to just watch videos off the computer without actually transferring them to the Tivo, the way audio can be streamed now. That way arbitrary videos could be played without any need to schedule a transfer or wait for one tranfer to finish before sswitching to another. I think the only limit would be the same as audio - how fast the MPEG2 stream can be pulled in by the Tivo box.

By the way, thanks for the work. I've been wondering why Tivo has not added this to their own software years ago.
BostonJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:28 PM   #321
pipakin

Quote:
I thought of a few more suggestions:

- On the video list on the Tivo side, would be nice to know which of the vidoes has already been set to transfer and to have a few color states:

* not set to trasfer
* set to transfer, pending
* currently transfering
* transferred

I understand the last state may not be reliable once the video is deleted from the Tivo site so may require synchronization by file checksum of some sort.

- The Tivo will currently stop a tranfer when the Tivi is updating with Tivo promo videos, I'm unsure if this would happen with a user-scheduled recording. A way to avoid this might be better estimation of recording time and to check if it overlaps with an upcoming recording or Tivo-scheduled promos (mine are set to 4AM).

- I don't know if this is possible at all, but it would be really nice to just watch videos off the computer without actually transferring them to the Tivo, the way audio can be streamed now. That way arbitrary videos could be played without any need to schedule a transfer or wait for one tranfer to finish before sswitching to another. I think the only limit would be the same as audio - how fast the MPEG2 stream can be pulled in by the Tivo box.

By the way, thanks for the work. I've been wondering why Tivo has not added this to their own software years ago.
Unfortunately Audio streaming and video streaming to the TiVo are completely different monsters. The TiVo only supports playing from it's disk, but you can watch while it's transferring. it may take some tweaking with the settings, but I can watch Medium-Low real time without pauses.

BTW: I'm about to build and release 0.7.0, with the following changes:

0.7.0 update:

- Extended program info!
- More error resilience!
- Now pages through directories correctly!
- Less Filling!
- Great Taste!

I'll post here when it's up.

EDIT: for the extended info, look in the ".tvm" files that are placed in the video dir alongside the videos. If you edit the info in there, it'll show in the tivo.

EDIT #2: Here 'tis: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/tiv...se_mirror=osdn
(Mono 0.7.0a : http://downloads.sourceforge.net/tiv...se_mirror=osdn)

Last edited by pipakin : 01-28-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:03 PM   #322
Tonyeo

I finally got an error message with 0.7.0
a socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host
ideas

Tonyeo
Old 01-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #323
pipakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyeo
I finally got an error message with 0.7.0
a socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host
ideas

Tonyeo
Sounds like it's losing it's network connection to the TiVo mid-stream. Either that or something on the network is blocking the broadcast address.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #324
Tonyeo

OK got rid of the error by shutting down Zone Alarm but nothing shows up under now playing list
Old 01-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #325
pipakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyeo
OK got rid of the error by shutting down Zone Alarm but nothing shows up under now playing list
Hrm...Can you access the admin page? (http://localhost:9033/)

If so, try going to: http://localhost:9032/TiVoConnect?Co...ontainer=Video and see what it returns.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #326
Aiken
Blah, blah, blah.

pipakin--

Woo, it's nice to have the folders working!

Request: Separate "Submit Settings" and "Rescan Directories" buttons. I do the former a lot and the auto-included scan makes it kinda painful.

Actually, regarding the scanning... Is it safe to assume that you scan and keep the list in memory? If so, you might want to see if there's some way of using system file/folder change notifications to avoid ever needing to click rescan. That would make it a lot more user-friendly for people not inclined to open the admin page. I'm not sure how portable you can be with this, mind you. If .NET itself has an API for it, I'd hope that would work with Mono.

Also, a handy thing I set up locally in my TiVo.Net menu is two shortcuts that use "net start|stop reallylongtivodotnetservicename" to start and stop the service. Handy because sometimes the server dies or locks up and it's a bother to open up the services panel. Might be worth adding to the installer?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #327
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
No luck yet on Win2K Pro either. Guess I'll install VS2005 on there and see if I can debug it.

Noticed in the eventviewer you haven't renamed your service from Service1.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #328
pipakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken
pipakin--

Woo, it's nice to have the folders working!

Request: Separate "Submit Settings" and "Rescan Directories" buttons. I do the former a lot and the auto-included scan makes it kinda painful.

Actually, regarding the scanning... Is it safe to assume that you scan and keep the list in memory? If so, you might want to see if there's some way of using system file/folder change notifications to avoid ever needing to click rescan. That would make it a lot more user-friendly for people not inclined to open the admin page. I'm not sure how portable you can be with this, mind you. If .NET itself has an API for it, I'd hope that would work with Mono.

Also, a handy thing I set up locally in my TiVo.Net menu is two shortcuts that use "net start|stop reallylongtivodotnetservicename" to start and stop the service. Handy because sometimes the server dies or locks up and it's a bother to open up the services panel. Might be worth adding to the installer?
As always, a fountain of goos ideas. The dynamic scanning thing is on my list, but it's not terribly high priority (I can move it up if everyone wants that What I need is a poll with all the features left to implement that people can vote on so I know I'm working on what people want.). the only reason I recan on settings changes is you have to update file size estimations, and other things so the data I've got in memory is somewhat out of date. I'll look into updating in memory instead of a rescan...
Old 01-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #329
Aiken
Blah, blah, blah.

pipakin--

One more...

Any chance you could sort the root file/folder list after the scan? I know it's usually sorted for you by virtue of how the scan works, but I've added more top-level folders and it's odd/confusing to have multiple folder/file sections in the root.

Not really imperative. Maybe on the to-do-later list?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #330
windracer
joined the 10k club

Is there a reason why .mpg isn't one of the default extensions? Suddenly I was seeing no videos via the TiVo and it took me a few minutes to figure out that's what it was. Once I added back .mpg they showed up again.

Still not having any success with transfers under Mono/Linux. I am getting .tvm files in the Videos directory now though.

All of my test files are .mpg files. I'll try with something else to see if I can get anything to transfer/transcode at all.

edit: no luck with a .mov file either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote