TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
eclane

"Copy Protection, The DVI/HDMI output is blocked, Press EXIT to Cancel"

What gives? This has happened four times since Friday and I never saw it before. Twice on Friday trying to record the Jamie Kennedy experience on G4 Tech TV. Now both football playoff games, one on FOX and one on CBS. The two games were set to record the HDTV network broadcasts, the Kennedy show was standard def.

I hear the audio, but this was video: text reading "Copy Protection, The DVI/HDMI output is blocked, Press EXIT to Cancel" on a black screen.

I'm confused. Cablevision cable with SA 8300 cable box connected to a Sony TIVO SVR3000 via S-video then an S-video to the TV (Sony 50A2000). Also have the TV connected directly to the cable box using a HDMI cable.

Ed
eclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
Mike Farrington

Sounds like your cable box is putting that video signal out on all video outputs. I'd complain to your cable company. Sounds like they are setting copy protection bits when they shouldn't be.
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
eclane

How does the cable box know there is a TIVO attached?

Edit: It recorded the J. K. Experience earlier today with out the message

Last edited by eclane : 01-15-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclane
How does the cable box know there is a TIVO attached?
It doesn't. That's why I said the cable company / broadcaster was sending out incorrect protection bits. Either that, or your cable box went wonky and needed a reboot. It happens.
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
wiard12

Copy Protection, The DVI/HDMI output is blocked, Press EXIT to Cancel

The cable box will basically block all outputs not just HDMI/DVI when this occurs. My guess is that you can avoid this by either removing the HDMI cable from your setup or use the cable company's DVR. I'm not really happy about either but I guess I can use component instead of HDMI/DVI.

I have a link to a discussion forum but I am unable to post it since this is my first post.
Maybe this will help since I can't post the url

forum.ecoustics
do a search on the site for the error message
wiard12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
grette

I have the same setup and cable company. Started getting the same message last thursday. Checked the SA8300 and it does not show an OS update so why the problem started now I don't know. Every time I changed the channel or turned the TV on the message would come up. I pulled the HDMI cable and went back to the component connection.
grette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
eclane

This is still happening to the Kennedy Exp. So if I was actually home in front of the TV, i would have to press a button on the remote in order for the video to come through no matter which video connection running out of the cable box I was using?

Edit: As of 1/16 this now happens to Oprah (SD)(could be a good thing, wifes program). The 1/15 episode is fine. I'm thinking now that the HDMI signal is not blocked , but every other video output is blocked. I remember turning on the TV after work yesterday and watching the end of Oprah. It was actually quite cool, it was about working at Google. Does this make any sense?

Last edited by eclane : 01-18-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
Jombi122

Quite funny happened to me too - I was not recording JK Live, but it happened to be on when I turned on the TV and I had the same message on the screen - was about two weeks ago. I did reboot the S3 but only because I was doing some work where I had to unplug it and I haven't seen it happen since.

I think it must be something with the copy protection on the JK show...
Series 3 300 hour
Jombi122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #9
eclane

Just got home and turned my tv on. TIVO is recording Oprah like normal. No copy protection error, normal video between the direct connection and also watching live TV through TIVO. Now i rewind to the beginning of the program and I see the copy protection screen. I now fast forward to the point where I turned the TV on and BAM we have a picture. Oprah's fat XXX is now showing on the screen.

So from this, The cable box knows when the TV is on and receiving data. When it is off, it is throwing the copy protection screen. THIS IS B.S.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
petew

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclane
So from this, The cable box knows when the TV is on and receiving data. When it is off, it is throwing the copy protection screen. THIS IS B.S.
You are absolutely correct. The issue is HDCP (HD Copy Protection) if the HDMI cable is connected the device will only output a signal if the device at the other end of the cable is able to negotiate an HDCP session. Obviously the TV can't negotiate anything when it's off. The only solution with your current hardware is to use a component cable from STB to TV rather than the HDMI cable. YMMV but the difference between HDMI and component probably won't be noticeable.

This is only an issue if the broadcaster set the copy protection flag, which explains why the problem has suddenly started happening on some shows but not others.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
eclane

I was/am hoping to avoid using the component cables. I really wasn't trying to record the digital signal either, only the analog coming out the S-video. I understand the reasoning behind the digital signal being copy protected, but why block the analog as well.

So what happens with a cable company's DVR when the TV's off, or do they not have any HDMI connections on those boxes yet. Also looks as if its happening to the S3 according to Jombi.

When will we see an inline adapter invented to fool the HDCP into thinking the TV's on or whatever needs to be done. I guess this is not effecting too many people yet.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
eclane

FYI, this is now a full time issue. All programing is now blocked when the TV is off. Good luck to HDMI users. Cablevision says this is normal and there is nothing that can be done other then using the component cables.

Ed
Old 10-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #13
MikeUMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew
... The only solution with your current hardware is to use a component cable from STB to TV rather than the HDMI cable. YMMV but the difference between HDMI and component probably won't be noticeable.
Hi guys. I'm in this thread because I'm running into the exact same error message as this thread's title.

I recently switched from DirecTV to Cablevision digital (io) service, and I've been getting that message on my setup.
cable box = Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HD
HDMI cable running from the cable box into my HDTV (Sharp Aquos)
component cables running from the cable box into my Series 2 TiVo

Problem happens when we record something on the TiVo when we're not watching it. petew's earlier statement about "the TV can't negotiate anything when it's off" makes sense. I just end up recording the error message endlessly.

So it seems my option is to ditch my HDMI cable and go to component. That makes me uneasy though.
When I do watch the TV's HD feed, how much picture quality will I lose by doing that?
Should I use an S-Video cable, or the standard yellow component line? Is there a quality difference?

Thanks for your help.
MikeUMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #14
classicsat
Astute User

You probably won't notice going to component from HDMI. You will notice going to S-video or composite.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #15
petew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUMA
component cables running from the cable box into my Series 2 TiVo
I think you're actually refering to composite the red/white/yellow cable.
Quote:
So it seems my option is to ditch my HDMI cable and go to component. That makes me uneasy though.
When I do watch the TV's HD feed, how much picture quality will I lose by doing that?
Should I use an S-Video cable, or the standard yellow component line? Is there a quality difference?

Thanks for your help.
S-Video or composite is SD (480i) only. Whether component or HDMI give you the better picture is a matter of personal opinion, it could go either way. Since component is analog the quality of the cable could affect picture quality. HDMI is digital so a bad cable will give no picture at all.

Have you thought about getting the Tivo HD?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #16
MikeUMA

Yes, I meant composite, the red/white/yellow cables. Thanks for the correction.

Regarding TiVo HD, is there a model yet that comes with an integrated DVD burner? I have the Humax DRT800 with the burner and I love it.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:09 AM   #17
richsadams

Agreed that the difference in PQ between a component (YPbPr) connection and HDMI will not be noticeable. Component connections also handle 480i/p, 720p and 1080i. Here's a link to a good article on the subject:

DVI vs. HDMI vs. Component Video -- Which is Better?

Here’s the summary:

Quote:
The Upshot: It Depends

So, which is better, HDMI or component? The answer--unsatisfying, perhaps, but true--is that it depends. It depends upon your source and display devices, and there's no good way, in principle, to say in advance whether the digital or the analog connection will render a better picture. You may even find, say, that your DVD player looks better through its HDMI output, while your satellite or cable box looks better through its component output, on the same display. In this case, there's no real substitute for simply plugging it in and giving it a try both ways.
Here's a link to a very good article about HDMI and why it may or may not always the best choice:

Connecting A Home Theater - HDMI

We have both HDMI and component outputs from TiVo directly to our HD LCD TV and optical audio to our HT. Tivo is set to 1080i fixed. For fun (easily amused ) I switch between HDMI and component now and then just to see if there's a difference. Some days on some recordings I think the PQ using the component connection might be slightly better. Other days on the same recordings I could swear HDMI is the winner.

The positive thing about a component connection is that you'll never have to worry about HDCP negotiations breaking down!

Last edited by richsadams : 10-12-2007 at 02:14 AM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:40 AM   #18
petew

Quote:
Regarding TiVo HD, is there a model yet that comes with an integrated DVD burner? I have the Humax DRT800 with the burner and I love it.
I have a DRT 800 and love it too. But no there isn't a THD with DVD burner and I wouldn't hold your breath. there's just too many copyright issues with HD content.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #19
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew
I have a DRT 800 and love it too. But no there isn't a THD with DVD burner and I wouldn't hold your breath. there's just too many copyright issues with HD content.
I think you're right...but if they can down-convert HD to SD for MRV as is planned, seems like they could use the same technology to off load content to a DVD. I'm always the optimist.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #20
JoeAmato

Does anyone know if this is specifically a Cabelvision <-> TiVo issue, or would I experience the same thing by switching to DirecTv or Fios?

This just started happening to me and Cabelvision is blaming my 2-year old TV....

Thanks,
JoeAmato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:36 PM   #21
MikeUMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAmato
Does anyone know if this is specifically a Cabelvision <-> TiVo issue, or would I experience the same thing by switching to DirecTv or Fios?
I had DirecTV up until a couple weeks ago and this was never a problem until I got Cablevision. Perhaps DTV, or the set-top boxes I had, don't copy protect?? Could be.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:10 PM   #22
JoeAmato

I think Cablevision figured out a way to do this as a way to sell it's own DVR service for $10 a month. They force the cable box to sync with the TV and if the TV isn't on, it won't record. I would bet that this wouldn't be an issue if I switched to their DVR. I am not going to do that. I switched to my component cables so I do not get the message anymore, but am frustrated that this just started happening. Cablevision is pleading ignorance, but I don't buy it. Since this has worked great for 2 years.
JoeAmato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #23
classicsat
Astute User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAmato

This just started happening to me and Cabelvision is blaming my 2-year old TV....

Thanks,
No, it is an HDCP issue, typically. If an HD box that is connected with HDMI to a set, and the set fails to maintain communications with the cable box (as sometimes happens when the set is turned off), the cablebox may consider that an HDCP failure, and turn all outputs off.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:56 PM   #24
kayden

So is there any way around this (short of unplugging the HDMI) I like to watch my sports live on HDMI & it is a bit of a pain to get behind to all the wiring to plug/unplug the cable each time.

there's a usb port on my cable box I assume for updates... anyone know of any patches that can be applied?
kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #25
jda

There is a way around this problem. Either disconnect your HDMI cable, or connect the cable from your input directly into your Tivo, and then connect your Tivo via S-video, or component. This may not give you the resolution you want, but it will work. I used the S-video connection and it resolved the problem. I still have the HDMI cable connected to my HD cable box for HD programs that I want to watch.
jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #26
richsadams

A component connection (YPbPr) should give you almost identical PQ, S-video is the next step down. Either way you'll need to deal with the audio...either TOSlink (optical -best) to your TV or receiver or composite (RCA L/R – no 5.1 DD)

Another plus for a component connection is that there's no HDCP (copy protection) and no need for a "handshake" each time you turn your TV on.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #27
njspeed

I had this issue before I upgarded to an S3. As classicat said it is an HDCP issue. I finally figured this out after too many frustrating moments with recorded programs that had the error message on it.
The only way I got around it was to only have the HDMI cable plugged into my Samsung TV when I actually wanted to watch full HD content.

I think it is an error on behalf the S8300 code that if HDCP isn't detected on the HDMI, only that port should be disabled and not all outputs...

James
njspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #28
gatzke

Intermittent HDCP outage?

I anyone else having intermittent HDCP / HDMI issues?

I get the HDMI blocked error message in the middle of programming, both SD and HD. This is a real pain for me when I set my kids up watching a show and it blanks on them in the middle.

I run my HDMI from the Tivo through my amp to my TV. 35 foot run through the crawl space to the TV. I assume it could be the amp or the cable run.

Some days this happens a lot, sometimes it goes ok for weeks.

Sometimes it comes back in a few seconds doing nothing, sometimes I power cycle the amp and it works. Sometimes I touch the wires and it works.

If this is a glitch (flaky amp, static on the wire, loose connection?) you would think the Tivo might be smart about checking for HDCP and not totally blank the output immediately, wait for a few failures.

This DRM crap makes me angry. Maybe I should save up for a HDCP stripper...
Slingbox AV, Wii Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gatzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #29
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatzke View Post
I anyone else having intermittent HDCP / HDMI issues?

I get the HDMI blocked error message in the middle of programming, both SD and HD. This is a real pain for me when I set my kids up watching a show and it blanks on them in the middle.

I run my HDMI from the Tivo through my amp to my TV. 35 foot run through the crawl space to the TV. I assume it could be the amp or the cable run.

Some days this happens a lot, sometimes it goes ok for weeks.

Sometimes it comes back in a few seconds doing nothing, sometimes I power cycle the amp and it works. Sometimes I touch the wires and it works.

If this is a glitch (flaky amp, static on the wire, loose connection?) you would think the Tivo might be smart about checking for HDCP and not totally blank the output immediately, wait for a few failures.

This DRM crap makes me angry. Maybe I should save up for a HDCP stripper...
That sounds frustrating. If the HDCP handshake is lost, there's really nothing TiVo can do about it until it's restored externally...from your amp, TV, etc. If you're able to touch the wires or cycle your amp and re-establish the link I think you're right, it's either a connection, a cable or the amp breaking the connection; not really anything to do with TiVo. 35 feet is a pretty long distance for HDMI and if there's any opportunity for a break in the connection, external interference (EMI), loose connections or poor connectors or cable it's bound to show up.

I'd first check the connections to see that they are snug. Replacing the cable with a quality, shielded cable is another option (http://www.monoprice.com). Another would be to run the HDMI directly to the TV and a TOSlink/optical audio cable to your amp instead.

Finally, the last option would be to use a component (YPbPr) video connection and optical audio and remove the HDCP handshake altogether. We've had both HDMI and component out from our Series3 directly to our HD LCD TV and optical audio to our HT. It's very hard to detect any PQ difference and the audio is as good or better with optical.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #30
gatzke

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I'd first check the connections to see that they are snug. Replacing the cable with a quality, shielded cable is another option (http://www.monoprice.com). Another would be to run the HDMI directly to the TV and a TOSlink/optical audio cable to your amp instead.

Finally, the last option would be to use a component (YPbPr) video connection and optical audio and remove the HDCP handshake altogether. We've had both HDMI and component out from our Series3 directly to our HD LCD TV and optical audio to our HT. It's very hard to detect any PQ difference and the audio is as good or better with optical.
I bought a good quality HDMI long cable and the cables all appear snug in the slots.

I hate to wire HDMI around the amp, mostly because the amp allows for easy switching of DVD/Wii/Tivo. I ran component and HDMI in case, but then you have to switch the TV input (more confusion for family) and you lose a bit on resolution (I think).

Sometimes I wonder if it is weather related, since it will be fine some days and not on others. Humidity? Temperature? Very odd.

The worst part is the problem does not appear reproducible. Send the amp back and tell them to watch HDMI programming for a few weeks and maybe it will drop out once? Crazy, especially when I can't tell for sure if it is the amp or the wires (or TV for that matter).

I saw this using my SA 8300 box a lot, so it must be something other than the Tivo. The odd thing is, the Tivo does it about 10x less than the SA box.
Slingbox AV, Wii Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gatzke is offline   Reply With Quote