TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
jauburn

Crack for copy protection?

I want to get some Charlie Rose shows from my Series 3 to a hard drive or something where I can show my kids on my PC. How do I do that? This Series 3 downgrade really sucks.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jauburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Dssturbo1

get a capture card for your pc and run svideo into it from the S3. or run the svideo into a dvd recorder and make a dvd to show on your computer to your kids.
Dssturbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
rodalpho

Talk of breaking tivo's DRM is against the rules here, I suggest we let the thread die.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodalpho
Talk of breaking tivo's DRM is against the rules here, I suggest we let the thread die.
rodalpho--I understand your warning, and 100% agree. But it seems to me the only thing being discussed here is ways to get really crappy resolution video out of an S3, using totally legitimate methods. And no one has talked about violating any DRM protections.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip
rodalpho--I understand your warning, and 100% agree. But it seems to me the only thing being discussed here is ways to get really crappy resolution video out of an S3, using totally legitimate methods. And no one has talked about violating any DRM protections.

Except for the title of the thread...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

No kidding- when I first read it what crossed my mind was the image of the MPAA offering people cocaine in exchange for not copying dvds.

But I am curious if the copy flags are set on charlie rose (you can't do a DVD record without a Sima GoDVD or SCC2), or if that is only for premium channels like HBO.
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:57 AM   #7
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Thyme
...I am curious if the copy flags are set on charlie rose (you can't do a DVD record without a Sima GoDVD or SCC2), or if that is only for premium channels like HBO.

Last thing I heard, any OTA broadcasts can NOT (legally) be flagged for "no record" and I thought that'd include not being flagged for "no copying".
Old 01-13-2007, 02:46 AM   #8
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

I'd try piping the the composite output to a capture card or a digital camcorder if you have one . I've done it and got a nice anamorphic SD picture from a HD recording.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #9
sommerfeld
Lucky (?) 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT
I'd try piping the the composite output to a capture card or a digital camcorder
Or DVD recorder, for that matter. Three cheers for the analog "hole" ...
sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:38 AM   #10
sommerfeld
Lucky (?) 200 member

nonono! crack for copy protection designers!

Quote:
No kidding- when I first read it what crossed my mind was the image of the MPAA offering people cocaine in exchange for not copying dvds.
Given how easily various DRM systems fall to pieces, I thought it was what they giving to the people tasked with designing DRM!

Suddenly, the root cause of the whole Sony CD "rootkit" fiasco becomes clearer....
sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
ewilts
Who, me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauburn
I want to get some Charlie Rose shows from my Series 3 to a hard drive or something where I can show my kids on my PC. How do I do that?
Legally, you don't. You do not have the rights to redistribute the shows. Invite your kids over to watch them.

http://www.charlierose.com/

Order the DVDs: http://www.amazon.com/b/002-5250960-...node=194172011

or the transcripts: http://orders.voxant.com/store/cart....duct_list&c=11

You can also watch them on Google Video: http://video.google.com/videosearch?...rlie_Rose&so=1
The link to this is on the Charlie Rose website so I am hoping that it means they were legally put on to Google Video.

.../Ed
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #12
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps
Except for the title of the thread...
Oops. My bad
Old 01-13-2007, 06:11 PM   #13
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

BTW- a long time ago I theorized there would be an HD hole too, because you could simply display the video on an HD screen and in a darkenned room make an HD camcorder video of that. Seemed pretty obvious / too good to be true.

Well, it is not so easy- at least not with my hd camcorder you can't do it. I used my Sony small hd camcorder (forget the model number, but it is the one selling in BestBuy now). What I saw from my Hitachi 42 inch HDTV (also forget the model number but it is a plasma screen they sold 3 years ago at Sears), was a yellow orangish color band rolling up on the screen.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:56 PM   #14
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
BTW- a long time ago I theorized there would be an HD hole too, because you could simply display the video on an HD screen and in a darkened room make an HD camcorder video of that. Seemed pretty obvious / too good to be true.
Technically, that's digital>analog>digital, so it's not really an HD hole.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:23 AM   #15
rodalpho

I doubt we're going to see a digital hole any time soon for cable. HD-DVD and blu-ray are another matter entirely.

As far as recording HD goes, we're only constrained by the speed of today's CPUs. They aren't fast enough to compress HD video in realtime. But they will be, soon enough, and when that happens mythtv and MCE will work right away, and shortly thereafter they'll release ASICs to compress HD in hardware and we'll be back where we were with series2s. Total compatibility through the analog hole, and nothing the cable companies can do about it.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:57 AM   #16
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

wow, didn't realize that old eps Charlie Rose are now free to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilts
You can also watch them on Google Video: http://video.google.com/videosearch?...rlie_Rose&so=1
The link to this is on the Charlie Rose website so I am hoping that it means they were legally put on to Google Video.
Woah! I just noticed that they seem to have made all the eps free to watch. Previously, they'd only have the previous night's episode for free and all the old ones only had a short free preview. You had to pay $0.99 to watch an old ep in its entirety via Google Video. I guess they changed their mind.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:22 AM   #17
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodalpho
As far as recording HD goes, we're only constrained by the speed of today's CPUs. They aren't fast enough to compress HD video in realtime. But they will be, soon enough, and when that happens mythtv and MCE will work right away, and shortly thereafter they'll release ASICs to compress HD in hardware and we'll be back where we were with series2s. Total compatibility through the analog hole, and nothing the cable companies can do about it.
My HD camcorder seems to be encoding HD in real time just fine.

Also- I don't see how we get analog out anymore. Seems to me all the component cables are sending downresed 480P and all hidef has to go out into the HDMI connector. Anyone know? If you play something that would be protected- like HBO HD out through component, is it downrezed?

Not that I don't think this will be hacked in multiple places. All I'm saying is I don't think that is where the obstacles or openings are.

My favorite would be to monitor the impulses going out to fire the LCD or plasma pixels, and digitize that. More than likely I will be able to get my library copy of the HD DVDs and shows some much more easy way. I think I'll hold off dusting off my erector set for now.

Last edited by Justin Thyme : 01-14-2007 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #18
Maeglin

Quote:
Also- I don't see how we get analog out anymore. Seems to me all the component cables are sending downresed 480P and all hidef has to go out into the HDMI connector. Anyone know? If you play something that would be protected- like HBO HD out through component, is it downrezed?
I've got a component video hookup here, running 1080i Hybrid (since my TV can't handle 720p). Between the menus and SD content, my TV changes resolutions. Between the menus and HD content, it doesn't, even with premium channels. That's a rather clear indicator to me.

Blu-ray and HD-DVD players will down-res everything analog coming out of them, if a certain flag is set on the discs to do that. Most of the major studios have said they wont be setting that flag, but I'll believe that when I see it.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:42 AM   #19
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

Thank you. I am confused because I thought the cableco's also had a requirement for Hosts to obey such a derez flag. Does anyone know if the flag exists/ and is contractually required? I like good news, but I am thinking of the possibility that the explanation here could be that the S3's just aren't responding to them because the Head End's aren't sending them.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #20
gbrown

Solution: a digitizer

Again, this is just digital>analog>digital. But the quality is good.
Several years ago, I bought a Canopus ADVC-100 in order to burn the family VHS tapes to DVD (In the 80s, my sister paid to have the 8mm copied to VHS). The device takes the S-Video out from the Series3 and converts it to a high quality digital signal that is output via Firewire.

Since I'm a Mac user, I than feed that into "iMovie HD" to make a high quality video. I then feed that into Toast to burn a DVD. I don't use iDVD because they force those hokey menus on me. (BTW- I bought Toast 8 in the hope that us Mac users will eventually get TiVoToGo for the Series 3).

A couple of "gotchas".
1) It takes a LONG time to do this. My average is 5:1. For every hour of finished product, it takes 5 hours of prep, converting formats, and burning. {Thank to Sunday NFL and NASCAR, I muddle through it).

2) Audio encoding is not preserved. There is no easy way to get the encoded Dolby encoded to the DVD. Hmmm, will AppleTV do it? ANyway you end up with PCM audio.
gbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:41 PM   #21
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof
Last thing I heard, any OTA broadcasts can NOT (legally) be flagged for "no record" and I thought that'd include not being flagged for "no copying".

I'm not sure of that.

I think all that happened is the FCC ruling that said tuners must obey the flags got overturned by the courts. I'm not sure the boradcasters cant still put them in there.

(that said- I doubt PBS is touchign charlie rose so analog outs should record just fine- I guess the OP is looking for TTG?)
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:44 PM   #22
MichaelK

Quote:
Thank you. I am confused because I thought the cableco's also had a requirement for Hosts to obey such a derez flag. Does anyone know if the flag exists/ and is contractually required? I like good news, but I am thinking of the possibility that the explanation here could be that the S3's just aren't responding to them because the Head End's aren't sending them.

I beleive that is apotential flag in the CCI Bits but I dont think I've ever heard of it in real life.

Search for CCI and you can find the table of potential values and what they mean.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote