TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
GoPackGo

Hello Ladies - Full Season 1 Thread

Anyone else watching this GREAT show? I was skeptical of Stephen Merchant pulling off a show without Ricky Gervais, but this is terrific.
GoPackGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Only seen episode 1, but I cringed a lot. His character is so pathetic. But in a good way.

I really dislike the actor who played his friend. Ruins every scene he's in.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I surprisingly liked it a lot. It had kind of a Curb Your Enthusiasm vibe. Only saw first episode so far. My one caveat would be that I'm not sure they could pull this off week after week. Seems a one trick pony plot.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
I really dislike the actor who played his friend. Ruins every scene he's in.
Just to clarify - I mean this guy:

He's just awful in everything he does.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:

Yeah, I didn't like that guy either. I know I've seen him elsewhere, but don't remember where.

I did not epecially like the first episode of this show. I'm not a fan of cringe shows. They make me feel uncomfortable. I have the second episode on my DVR and will watch it.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
DLiquid
Progressive User

I like this enough to keep watching, but the cringe factor is uncomfortably high.

I really liked Merchant in the Gervais podcast and in Extras. In Extras, I always wanted him to be featured more, because he was so funny, so I am happy he now has his own show, even if it is off to a bit of a shaky start. I agree that the friend character is weak, but I think the guy in the wheelchair is very funny.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Quote:

Not sure why, but he reminds me of Kenny Power's loser buddy:

gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
I like this enough to keep watching, but the cringe factor is uncomfortably high.

I agree that the friend character is weak, but I think the guy in the wheelchair is very funny.
Love Kevis (sp?)-he has a much better pickup line than "Hello, Ladies"-
"Dating, Mating, or Masturbating?"
Old 10-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
Yeah, I didn't like that guy either. I know I've seen him elsewhere, but don't remember where.

I did not epecially like the first episode of this show. I'm not a fan of cringe shows. They make me feel uncomfortable. I have the second episode on my DVR and will watch it.
I remember him mostly from Mr. Sunshine. He played Matthew Perry's boss's son.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
DLiquid
Progressive User

The third episode, where Stephen goes on two dates with a girl who works in the gym, was hilarious. Better than the first two episodes. So many laugh out loud moments. I was dying listening to the banter between him and his coworker regarding the proper technique of texting a woman you're interested in. Again, the weak point was the friend character. The episode would have been better without his falling in the bathtub storyline.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
GoPackGo

I liked how Stephen totally blew off the AG text thing, but the disabled friend freaked out about not receiving an AG from the divorced friend.

And I love Stephen's banter with his tenant. His face when she said she could play a woman in her 20's was so good.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
The third episode, where Stephen goes on two dates with a girl who works in the gym, was hilarious. Better than the first two episodes. So many laugh out loud moments. I was dying listening to the banter between him and his coworker regarding the proper technique of texting a woman you're interested in. Again, the weak point was the friend character. The episode would have been better without his falling in the bathtub storyline.
Yeah, the friend...I was disappointed that THAT was the nudity listed for the episode!!

I agree, this was freaking hilarious!! I love how he tells everyone he's "all that" with women but he actually is the exact opposite. I was cracking up when he kept excusing himself during the dinner to tell the waiter that everything was just TOO expensive!! And I loved how at the end of the dates, it appeared the girl was waiting for him to kiss her, and he didn't make a move. It was so awkward in a Larry David sort of way. This show is definitely moving up the list of favorites for me. Even my wife likes it, and she doesn't usually like this sort of humor.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
I liked how Stephen totally blew off the AG text thing, but the disabled friend freaked out about not receiving an AG from the divorced friend.

And I love Stephen's banter with his tenant. His face when she said she could play a woman in her 20's was so good.
The tenant has an Elaine Benes meats George Costanza feel to her. When she climbed out the window to the other audition I was laughing hysterically, especially when she was trying to explain it to the staff there.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
getreal
postcrastinator

In "The Date" I laughed out loud when Stephen stepped over the bushes to spy on the girl, then got caught straddling the bushes, then effortlessly stepped into the convertible. Reminds me of Jon Cleese's classic Ministry of Silly Walks on Monty Python's Flying Circus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I was cracking up when he kept excusing himself during the dinner to tell the waiter that everything was just TOO expensive!!
The "too expensive" thing just didn't work and just seemed dumb AFAIC because in the previous episode he had no issue spending $800 on one round of drinks for people he didn't know or care about.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #16
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
He's not divorced
Old 10-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #17
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
The "too expensive" thing just didn't work and just seemed dumb AFAIC because in the previous episode he had no issue spending $800 on one round of drinks for people he didn't know or care about.
Stephen being cheap has been consistent since the first episode. He's even asked his friends for gas money. He was horrified that he had to pay for all of those drinks, but he did it because he got trapped in the situation and wanted to impress a woman. It was really a similar joke in this episode with the wine and truffles. I thought they almost let it go on too long, but then they cut to another scene just in time.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #18
DUDE_NJX

I just binged watched the whole series. Loved it!
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

It was hit and miss for me. And I really like Merchant. Unlike Larry David, when he was hateful he was not likeable. But I will continue to watch S2.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #20
DUDE_NJX

Is there a S2? I thought it's one and done.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I'm about 3 episodes behind. I really liked the first few episodes, but they seemed to have hit a rut. Every episode seems to play out the same scenario with new characters. Merchant trying to be the cool ladies man that he isn't. It's fine for awhile, but it gets old (to me) fairly quickly. Still, enough moments that crack me up to keep watching, but the premise is already stale.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #22
DUDE_NJX

The Long Beach and Wedding episodes move away from that.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #23
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
The Long Beach and Wedding episodes move away from that.
I saw the Long Beach episode, and I disagree. He's still going to the party looking to pick up someone and was about to before he got interrupted (and yes, part of his goal was to get cheaper, better work from those guys, but he also bragged about his way with the ladies as part of befriending the workers).
Old 11-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
DUDE_NJX

Well, the show DOES have a theme. See title
Old 11-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #25
DLiquid
Progressive User

I enjoyed the series and I hope there is another season.

It was hit and miss for me, too. Merchant can be absolutely hilarious at times, but the supporting cast was just okay. I didn't find the female lead, Jessica, to be very funny, and the show focused a lot on her. The tap dancing thing was just dumb, not funny at all.

I didn't like that Merchant seemed to be in love with Jessica toward the end. That was a cliche thing to do, and I don't think the early episodes gave any indications that he had those kinds of feelings for her. She seemed like a sister to him up until that dance scene.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #26
DUDE_NJX

There's no way he'd leave the naked model of his dreams without getting some first to run to his friend-like tenant so they can sit and talk.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #27
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
There's no way he'd leave the naked model of his dreams without getting some first to run to his friend-like tenant so they can sit and talk.
Well, you're obviously wrong because that is exactly what happened.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #28
GoPackGo

I really, really hope there is a second season. One thing I noticed, this is an ABC production. Maybe HBO will be more inclined to pick it up for a second season since they're not footing the production cost?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:38 AM   #29
rahnbo

Cancelled

http://www.tvguide.com/News/HBO-Canc...s=breakingnews
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:58 AM   #30
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
As was Family Tree. Both shows I tried to watch and just couldn't get into. Both shows I was excited for due to the star of the show.