TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Can you order PPV on your series 3 TiVo?
I have to call the Cableco. to get PPV and CANNOT record it on my S3 4 8.51%
I have to call the Cableco to get PPV but I CAN record it on my S3 10 21.28%
I can only get PPV by using the Cableco's set top box 28 59.57%
I can order PPV interactively from the Cableco box and view and record it on my S3 5 10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2006, 11:43 PM   #1
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
To what extent can you get PPV on your Series 3 TiVo?

Hi Gang. There seems to be some mixed experiences with PPV and a lot of misinformation from Comcast regarding same with regard to series 3 TiVo's. I was told in no uncertain terms that I would not be able to receive PPV on my S3 TiVo and that "calling in" would NOT work. I therefore rented an extra box from Comcast so I could get my PPV movies and events. Tonight I ordered my first PPV event and low and behold, it has been de-scrambled on both of my TiVo's as well as the Comcast DVR. So at least in my area it would appear that you can:

A. Call in to the Cableco and get PPV to record and view on the Series 3
B. Use the Cableco box to order PPV interactively and record and view on S3

Just thought I'd report my findings and am curious now how PPV is working for others on their Series 3.

Last edited by bareyb : 12-23-2006 at 01:03 AM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:05 AM   #2
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb
Oh Crud! I meant to add the option of:

4. I can order PPV interactively from the Cableco box and view and record it on my S3
Fixed
Mike Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:48 AM   #3
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Hmm, anyone else done this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:02 AM   #4
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
Hmm, anyone else done this?
Are you talking about this poll or the getting PPV on your S3? I'm watching the Kickboxing championships on channel 801 PPV with my S3 as we speak.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:29 AM   #5
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Getting PPV.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:01 AM   #6
moyekj

Another poll option that would get my vote (respectfully understanding PPV & VOD is important to some):
"I couldn't care less about PPV & VOD so haven't bothered looking into it".

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:00 AM   #7
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
Another poll option that would get my vote (respectfully understanding PPV & VOD is important to some):
I agree - maybe if there were something compelling on PPV, but I don't understand the desire for VOD. That's what I use my Tivo for, and pick the shows I want to have "on demand".

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:25 AM   #8
squiddohio

I was going to keep my cable box (8300) and the S3 so that I could get PPV and VOD until I realized that I hardly use them. PPV has nothing of interest to me, and, as the poster noted above, VOD is not all that much use when you can record the show in HD (almost all VOD is SD). I took the box back and took somewhere between 100 and 200 dollars a year, which could rent me a lot of movies at Blockbuster. I don't miss the VOD at all.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:08 PM   #9
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
HOLA posting frm mexico and logged in from th hotel. it doesn't wor real well. Anyway, PPV poll. Don't post if you dont wtchit. Stupidos.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:23 AM   #10
cherry ghost

Quote:
Are you talking about this poll or the getting PPV on your S3? I'm watching the Kickboxing championships on channel 801 PPV with my S3 as we speak.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4654530
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:59 AM   #11
btwyx
Substantive Member

That probably answer the question for me. I had wondered if I could get the inDemand PPVs by calling in, but if yours says no, mine would probably also say no. I couldn''t get on Demand stuff on the S3 when I had an additional box.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:59 AM   #12
hookbill
Feathered Member

I've never tried it and didn't think it was possible. Still there is nothing on pay per view I ever watch, however - I was told in an email from TW CS that they are the only company that allows recording of ppv and that is on the SA 8300 - not cable cards. (I was having a problem recording INHD and stupid CSR responded about IN Demand. But that's another story.......)

Anyway I don't think it is possible in my area to order ppv.

FWIW INHD issue got solved, I had a contact outside of CS who got it fixed.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:35 PM   #13
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hola again. Still using the hotels "Intrnet on TV" the wireless keybord is horible. It misses a lot of keystrokes... It was my hope with this poll to provide better information for potential S3 buyes who value PPV events such as Martial Arts competitions etc. I am hoping with enough good input that we can possibly update the FAQ. It does appear that in many cases PPV can be done interactively with a comcast box and recorded wiith the S3 Tivo. This is HUGE news for fans of PPV such as my self. A cheaperr aternatve isto call in and order it and many can still watch an record it on their S3. So it would appear that the cable compaies are the problem for those that can't get PPV on their S3 boxes. Comcast , at least in Cupertino seems to descramble the signal at their end and allow th chanels to be viewed on any connected box. Both of my Tivo s3 boxes can record PPV. this isvery encouragng.

Note: Thiis wireles kyboard is drving me crazy. I'l seeyou guys when I get back from Mexico!

Felice Navidad everyone!
Old 12-24-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

you left out the option of "I don't care about PPV and don't miss it"

Diane

p.s. just realized in rereading that moyekj also mentioned the lack of that option.
dianebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #15
Adam1115
20,000!!!

How about an option for, I cannot get PPV, period! I have analog cable, they don't offer PPV on analog...

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:02 AM   #16
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115
How about an option for, I cannot get PPV, period! I have analog cable, they don't offer PPV on analog...
You're using your Series 3 with OTA, then? Otherwise, why have one, if you only have analog cable?
Old 12-25-2006, 04:03 AM   #17
btl-a4
Man I must be bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies!
I agree - maybe if there were something compelling on PPV, but I don't understand the desire for VOD. That's what I use my Tivo for, and pick the shows I want to have "on demand".
I would like VOD so I don't have to use up any of my space to record Sesame Street or Thomas the Train. VOD has a great selection of childrens programs. There are also some things on VOD that don't air anywhere else.
btl-a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:17 AM   #18
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof
You're using your Series 3 with OTA, then? Otherwise, why have one, if you only have analog cable?
OTA and Analog Cable.

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:45 PM   #19
jmjerome

TWC Los Angeles no PPV even if you call and order it.
jmjerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:10 PM   #20
rufusryker

If you have nothing helpful to add...

I really do not understand people who get on a thread like this to rant about how THEY don't like VOD or PPV. Good for you!

I rarely use either VOD or PPV myself, but I think people here are missing the big picture. It is in the interest of all TiVO owners and fans to have these options available to TiVO owners, at least to some extent, especially PPV. If TiVO and the S3 makes any inroads at all into the HD market, you can expect cable companies to protect their own DVR options (and cable box revenue) by moving more exclusive content to VOD and PPV. This is already a big drawback to many potential TiVO purchasers, whether some here want to admit it or not.

You might not have an interest in ordering the latest Wladimir Klitschko title fight, or even know who the guy is. But plenty of people will pay $30, $40 or $50 and someday a PPV event might come on that you might want to order. You can bet the boxing promoter and the fighter himself would gladly take money from affluent TiVO owners, so who wants the cable companies holding the cards?
rufusryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:56 PM   #21
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
A slight variant thereto, that applies to me ...
"I couldn't care less about PPV and I'll survive the awful cable box interface+ for my occasional VOD viewing-only* usage, or just give it up entirely in lieu of the benefit of having an HD- and premium-channel-capable S3 TiVo."

+If that 2nd (outlet/TV) cable box survives my desire to own a second S3 instead!

*Why on earth would you want to RECORD something you're viewing live that is keeping your (S3) unit otherwise occupied? I watch things off my NPL and delete them instantly. If the S3 were VOD capable, I still wouldn't do anything other than VIEW it On Demand

ps: Vladimir who?
And it's spelt TiVo (small o)

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:20 AM   #22
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusryker
I really do not understand people who get on a thread like this to rant about how THEY don't like VOD or PPV. Good for you!
I don't think there has been any ranting about this in the thread. I see plenty of room in a discussion about PPV and VOD about why one would want to use it.

I could make the same criticism about people with single digit post counts bitching about other posters without adding anything of value, but I won't.

GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #23
IzzyB68

Quote:
This would be what I vote for....never used it before I got the S3.
IzzyB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:09 PM   #24
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thought I'd bump this since there has been so much interest lately. Keep in mind people, that all of the MMA (mixed martial arts) events are ONLY on PPV. If you are a fan of MMA you need PPV. MMA events are now being broadcast in HD as well. I usually call up on the phone and get the event to show on "all boxes". This way I can watch it on the TiVo box instead of Comcasts' POS.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #25
aaronwt
HD Addict

I have no idea. I have a cablebox that I use for On Demand stuff. Although I've only used it 4 times in the 3 months I've had cable. Do they even have PPV anymore like DirecTV? With On Demand you can pause and fast forward.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #26
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Thought I'd bump this since there has been so much interest lately. Keep in mind people, that all of the MMA (mixed martial arts) events are ONLY on PPV. If you are a fan of MMA you need PPV. MMA events are now being broadcast in HD as well. I usually call up on the phone and get the event to show on "all boxes". This way I can watch it on the TiVo box instead of Comcasts' POS.
Yep, exactly how I do it also. Although I no longer have any cable supplied boxes, they do get sent to both of my S3s. I really, really wish that Charter would add a internet interface for ordering PPV, I'd order more. I did send them a comment/suggestion about it, but haven't heard anything. (and not really expecting too)

Premiere XL4
Series 3 w/2TB
Series 3 w/750GB

"TiVo me, will ya?"
''Never lost. Never will.''
--- Denny Crane
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #27
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_N
Yep, exactly how I do it also. Although I no longer have any cable supplied boxes, they do get sent to both of my S3s. I really, really wish that Charter would add a internet interface for ordering PPV, I'd order more. I did send them a comment/suggestion about it, but haven't heard anything. (and not really expecting too)
Yeah. Comcast is telling me that I have to keep one of their boxes in order to get PPV at all. Even if I called in and asked them to send it to my TIvos they said it couldn't be done without that Comcast box in the loop. Seems kinda fishy to me... I'd love to return the comcast box and see what happens, but I'm terrified to make any changes now that they finally got it all working!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #28
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies!
I can't help remembering one recent example of a series I was following that did not fair very well. So, weekly, they put the series on VOD and not on their station. I think that was the only time I saw the real value of VOD. Oh, and when I got a SHO, I wanted to catch up on a bunch of series. It's ideal for people who do not have a DVR, I guess.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:37 PM   #29
pl1

Quote:
Yeah. Comcast is telling me that I have to keep one of their boxes in order to get PPV at all. Even if I called in and asked them to send it to my TIvos they said it couldn't be done without that Comcast box in the loop. Seems kinda fishy to me... I'd love to return the comcast box and see what happens, but I'm terrified to make any changes now that they finally got it all working!
Of course, I'm with Comcast, and I get NHL Center Ice every night on channels 621-630. And that's considered PPV. So, just remember, Comcast is all over the place, and with more than just PPV.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #30
cherry ghost

Comcast recently removed all of my S3-capable PPV movie channels and put all that content on OnDemand. The 3 PPV channels they left were the ones that show WWE, UFC, Pride Fighting, Jerrry Springer Uncensored, and GGW. All of the ESPN, NHL, and NBA PPV channels are still there.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote