TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
bpostow

SO3 error

I have an intermittant tivo error. every so often, my tivo will fail to unpack the scheduling information. I'm currently using a phone connection because I never did solve the wireless problem in a previous post of mine... So, every night, it connects and downloads the new info, then in disconnects and tries to unpack, decompress, or whatever it is that it does. And about 25% of the way through, it fails with a useless error message of S03. (I'm seriously considering getting a usb keyboard and just looking at the linux side of the box to see if there's a more useful error message in there somewhere...)

Anyway, are there any useful suggestions?

Thanks
bpostow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #2
funtoupgrade

Personally I had no luck getting rid of the message and ended up selling off the unit as non-working. Others swear that sticking in a freshly imaged hard drive solved their problem. Do a search on SO3 to see the latest info.

TiVo Series3 648 with 1TB Seagate
Humax DRT800 with 650GB Seagate
Old 12-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpostow
I have an intermittant tivo error. every so often, my tivo will fail to unpack the scheduling information. I'm currently using a phone connection because I never did solve the wireless problem in a previous post of mine... So, every night, it connects and downloads the new info, then in disconnects and tries to unpack, decompress, or whatever it is that it does. And about 25% of the way through, it fails with a useless error message of S03. (I'm seriously considering getting a usb keyboard and just looking at the linux side of the box to see if there's a more useful error message in there somewhere...)

Thanks
I had this error and did a TiVo restart. That fixed it for me. If that didn't work I was prepared to do this...
Problem: While connecting to the TiVo Service, all operations complete except loading data. At some percentage through the process, the following error appears
"Load Info Error S03 The DVR encountered a problem while loading information."
This error appears when the TiVo has corrupt data.
Resolution: TiVo Customer Support calls the following procedure a "Kick Start" and is similar to running a Check Disk on a PC running MS Windows
1. Uplug the TiVo for 10-15 seconds
2. Plug in the TiVo and hold the yellow pause button on the remote until the yellow light shows on the front of the TiVo.
3. Release the pause button and type 57.
The TiVO will reboot and a green screen will appear stating that the TiVo has encountered an error and may take up to 3 hours to repair it If you do not see this screen, repeat the Kick Start procedure. After the error has been repaired, the TiVo will restart. You will need to download program information again.
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
bpostow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solver
I had this error and did a TiVo restart. That fixed it for me. If that didn't work I was prepared to do this...
Problem: While connecting to the TiVo Service, all operations complete except loading data. At some percentage through the process, the following error appears
"Load Info Error S03 The DVR encountered a problem while loading information."
This error appears when the TiVo has corrupt data.
Resolution: TiVo Customer Support calls the following procedure a "Kick Start" and is similar to running a Check Disk on a PC running MS Windows
1. Uplug the TiVo for 10-15 seconds
2. Plug in the TiVo and hold the yellow pause button on the remote until the yellow light shows on the front of the TiVo.
3. Release the pause button and type 57.
The TiVO will reboot and a green screen will appear stating that the TiVo has encountered an error and may take up to 3 hours to repair it If you do not see this screen, repeat the Kick Start procedure. After the error has been repaired, the TiVo will restart. You will need to download program information again.

Yes, I called tech support last night, and they walked me through the kickstart. It seems to have worked. We'll see if it stays fixed, as it is intermittant...
bpostow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:05 AM   #5
andygrose

Does this kickstart process erase all your saved programs?
andygrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #6
darkcyber

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrose
Does this kickstart process erase all your saved programs?

Well, according to this post it's not supposed to...of course remove the spaces.

http: // forums. tivo.com /pe/action /forums/ displaypost?postID=10192098
darkcyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
restart88

I seem to be experiencing that problem on my 540 now. Usually gets to 99% then fails. A few attempts aborted earlier in the download process but most fail at 99% for me.

I'm at 98% right now and will try that procedure if this one fails too. http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ostID=10192098

I have had this problem in the past and if restart didn't work even just unplugging it without holding the yellow button/ 57 when the light comes on did. But the last time was so long ago that I had forgotten.

So far the DT has never had this problem.

It's bad that others are having this problem but at least I don't feel alone. I too was ready to dump the unit and maybe get an HD unit sooner than I could really afford to.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:58 PM   #8
fluorescein

S03 error

I have a series 2 TIVO that was unplugged for about 8 months because of a broken power supply. Finally replaced it (from weaknees) and it booted up normally.

First thing I did was manually dial-in and it upgraded to 9.1. I restarted the TIVO, and it requested I dial-in for program information. This failed multiple times because of error S03. After reading the forums, I tried: (1) clearing and deleting, then (2) kickstart 57. The 57 kickstart got to the green screen, then started the reboot sequence. But now the system hangs on "Almost there. Just a few minutes more." I waited at this screen for hours before unplugging and trying to boot up again. The system still hangs on "Almost there."

I've read dozens of threads, and learned that hanging on "Almost there" is supposed to be a hardware error. But it was booting up fine the day before, so I'm hoping there's another explanation. I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks much!
fluorescein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:05 AM   #9
JacksTiVo
TiVo User since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluorescein View Post
I have a series 2 TIVO that was unplugged for about 8 months because of a broken power supply. Finally replaced it (from weaknees) and it booted up normally.

First thing I did was manually dial-in and it upgraded to 9.1. I restarted the TIVO, and it requested I dial-in for program information. This failed multiple times because of error S03. After reading the forums, I tried: (1) clearing and deleting, then (2) kickstart 57. The 57 kickstart got to the green screen, then started the reboot sequence. But now the system hangs on "Almost there. Just a few minutes more." I waited at this screen for hours before unplugging and trying to boot up again. The system still hangs on "Almost there."
I've read dozens of threads, and learned that hanging on "Almost there" is supposed to be a hardware error. But it was booting up fine the day before, so I'm hoping there's another explanation. I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks much!
There are other troubleshooting/repair codes to apply. See:http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ickstart+codes and especially http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ickstart+codes for information to possibly solve your issue.

Sony SVR2000 S1 w/LT Turbonet - 11/01 (Not in use)
S2 - 12/05 - w/LT & 250 hours
S3 - 9/09 w/ LT & 1TB (sold)
Roamio Plus - 1/14 - w/LT & 1TB
Mini - 9/14
FiOS Service

JacksTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:36 AM   #10
NiTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpostow View Post

Thanks
my tivo has run out of guide data for the above reason. It no longer works because of SO3..every other function of the unit is fine, multi room viewing via crossover cable or wireless N tivo.

I have tried every kickstart drive test, 54, 57. Restarts.

If there is some data corruption will clearing all my guide data and to do list fix the problem?

if everything above has failed whats left?

If I clone to new drives, will my corrupt data come with me and my copied saved shows?

Im ready to remove the two drives on a stock 648 series 3, one 250 internal one external hitachi. to test them with Drive Genius.

thanks.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
Spenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTE View Post
my tivo has run out of guide data for the above reason. It no longer works because of SO3..every other function of the unit is fine, multi room viewing via crossover cable or wireless N tivo.

I have tried every kickstart drive test, 54, 57. Restarts.
I got the S03 error on my Tivo HD this week, and it seems to be fixed now after doing kickstarts 57 and 58 (with no loss of my 400GB of already-recorded shows).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTE View Post
If there is some data corruption will clearing all my guide data and to do list fix the problem?

If I clone to new drives, will my corrupt data come with me and my copied saved shows?
Before doing the kickstarts, I tried other's suggestions of clearing the guide & program data, but it still got the S03 when it tried to update. I viewed the kickstart as a last-ditch effort, because I was afraid that if it didn't work the Tivo might get stuck in a reboot loop and my programs would be lost. Thankfully it didn't.

So before the kickstart, I went as far as to buy a new drive, and used WinMFS's mfscopy to clone my existing drive to the new one. The new drive still got the S03 error, so that meant that it was the data itself that was corrupt, not the drive.

At that point my only options left were try the kickstarts 57 & 58, which worked. If that didn't work I was prepared to re-image my drive from scratch and lose my recordings.

Hope this helps.
Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
wisny

/subscribes ... having this problem too.
wisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
wisny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
I got the S03 error on my Tivo HD this week, and it seems to be fixed now after doing kickstarts 57 and 58 (with no loss of my 400GB of already-recorded shows).

Before doing the kickstarts, I tried other's suggestions of clearing the guide & program data, but it still got the S03 when it tried to update. I viewed the kickstart as a last-ditch effort, because I was afraid that if it didn't work the Tivo might get stuck in a reboot loop and my programs would be lost. Thankfully it didn't.

So before the kickstart, I went as far as to buy a new drive, and used WinMFS's mfscopy to clone my existing drive to the new one. The new drive still got the S03 error, so that meant that it was the data itself that was corrupt, not the drive.

At that point my only options left were try the kickstarts 57 & 58, which worked. If that didn't work I was prepared to re-image my drive from scratch and lose my recordings.

Hope this helps.

Do you know anything more about the kickstart 58? TiVo support says it doesn't exist, the only kickstarts are 54 and 57.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
Spenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisny View Post
Do you know anything more about the kickstart 58? TiVo support says it doesn't exist, the only kickstarts are 54 and 57.
(these are for a series 3/HD, not sure about series 2):
Kickstart code 62 - initialize E-SATA drive
Kickstart code 51 - software upgrade
Kickstart code 52 - emergency reinstall
Kickstart code 53 - BER testing
Kickstart code 54 - HDD test
Kickstart code 55 - Tuner/AFT test
Kickstart code 56 - software install
Kickstart code 57 - force MFS check
Kickstart code 58 - perform MFS cleanup

Instructions: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ight=kickstart
Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisny View Post
See my post to your other post.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #16
richsadams

Quote:

FWIW KS56 and KS62 no longer work.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #17
wisny

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
See my post to your other post.
ty Spenner, and Rich
Old 03-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #18
sjilly

I keep trying to do the kickstart but for whatever reason, I cannot get it to initiate. I tried both unplugging the unit and going through the menu to restart. I hold the pause button down but I NEVER get the amber light. It only eventually gives me the green power light.... anyone else experience this?
sjilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #19
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjilly View Post
I keep trying to do the kickstart but for whatever reason, I cannot get it to initiate. I tried both unplugging the unit and going through the menu to restart. I hold the pause button down but I NEVER get the amber light. It only eventually gives me the green power light.... anyone else experience this?
Welcome to the forum. What model TiVo do you have? What are the symptoms that are causing you to try and run the Kickstarts?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #20
sjilly

I have a sony svr3000 series 2. I get the SO3 error - it won't load new programming. I had this happen once before and I got a new harddrive from weaknees and it's been great for well over a year. Now is happening again.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #21
magnus
Tivo User

This usually fixes the S03 error for me.

http://tbj.me/s03Tivo

Last edited by magnus : 03-25-2011 at 12:54 AM.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:50 AM   #22
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post

http://texasblindjack.com/2010/10/20...rom-your-tivo/
I had never seen that before...so it actually worked for you? I'll keep a copy JIC. Thanks for that.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #23
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I had never seen that before...so it actually worked for you? I'll keep a copy JIC. Thanks for that.
Yep, it's worked several times for me. I've actually purchased a few Tivos like this. Then got it home and did this procedure and BAM it works again.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #24
richsadams

Quote:
Yep, it's worked several times for me. I've actually purchased a few Tivos like this. Then got it home and did this procedure and BAM it works again.
Sah-weet!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #25
sjilly

"I have a sony svr3000 series 2. I get the SO3 error - it won't load new programming. I had this happen once before and I got a new harddrive from weaknees and it's been great for well over a year. Now is happening again."

My issue is that I cannot get my system to kickstart. Regardless if I go through setup or unplug the unit. I never get the amber light. I hold the pause button down and it goes all the way through the start up process without displaying the amber light - I only get the green power light. Anyone else experience this? Tips?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #26
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjilly View Post
"I have a sony svr3000 series 2. I get the SO3 error - it won't load new programming. I had this happen once before and I got a new harddrive from weaknees and it's been great for well over a year. Now is happening again."

My issue is that I cannot get my system to kickstart. Regardless if I go through setup or unplug the unit. I never get the amber light. I hold the pause button down and it goes all the way through the start up process without displaying the amber light - I only get the green power light. Anyone else experience this? Tips?
I don't know about the SVR3000 but on my SVR2000s the pause button only sent out a single IR pulse when pressed, not a repeating pulse.

Try pressing the pause button over and over as fast as you can. With luck you can catch it at the right moment.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #27
windracer
joined the 10k club

I just ran into this on my sister's old S2 (TSN 140) over the weekend. She had a hard drive failure a few months ago so she sent me the hard drive and I managed to recover/clone it onto a new one. Then this weekend I was up in Chicago visiting and installed the new drive. That's when I noticed the connections were getting the S03 error. Guess I'll have her try the Clear Proggram Info trick and see if that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #28
BKinzey

I've got a Humax series 2 and I'm getting tired of this. This is the 4th time and it's been only about 4 months since the last time I did a type 57 restart. I've got over 50 wishlists / season passes and it's a true pain in the rear to do this procedure

I thought maybe an upgrade to a bigger HD might help but I see somebody else tried that and it didn't work.

I was hoping my next big purchase was to jump to HD
BKinzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #29
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinzey View Post
I've got a Humax series 2 and I'm getting tired of this. This is the 4th time and it's been only about 4 months since the last time I did a type 57 restart. I've got over 50 wishlists / season passes and it's a true pain in the rear to do this procedure

I thought maybe an upgrade to a bigger HD might help but I see somebody else tried that and it didn't work.

I was hoping my next big purchase was to jump to HD
Allow me to suggest the free version of Tivo Desktop to get backups of your recordings that can be copied to other TiVos on your account at your convenience in the future, as the Humax's hard drive could go anytime and probably will.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #30
alyssa

Quote:

http://tbj.me/s03Tivo
Thank you!
This seemed worked for me with reservations tho. I'd been getting the S03 error for a couple of weeks [it was on my second tv] so I didn't notice it. I ran it at night & forced a connection in the morning & BAM it loaded data. I could find programs in my search area.

But my to do list was empty & my season passes were still listed. After kickstart 57 and numerous reboots I manually deleted all my sp's and re-entered them. According to tivo's tech support 'there's a glich in my season passes'....
I think i will end up having two folders for shows now, an early castle & a later castle for example

A couple of notes tho;

I have two s3's on the same ups & cat 5 hub, one of them had the s03 issue & the other has the same symptoms without the error code. both of these 'trouble connecting' issues started at the same time.

Both of those s3 units have had the false nag screen for 'running out of data' for a year (ish).

eta: after recording shows last night, I do end up with two folders. In other words, the tivo doesn't seem to recognize the older shows as the same thing as the current show with the same title. Also, I can't go to the older show & set up a sp from it.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

Last edited by alyssa : 12-06-2011 at 07:57 AM.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote